Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Aaand here you are:

1. There are different kinds of citizenship.  As registered students of the Academy of Mineta, Miya and Malthezar already have what's called Privilegio del Commercio - they can sign legally binding contracts and own property without getting special waivers from the Captain (or the Captain's designated proxies - a group which actually includes Orso).

The big rights they don't have are Privilegio del Suffragio, the right to vote in binding public assemblies, and Privilegio d'Onore, the right to hold political office or to own certain kinds of estates.

There are basically two realistic ways that foreign Academy students can win those rights.  First, the easiest is to forswear allegiance to their homelands, and get Orso to sponsor a Petizione di Riconoscimento, or Petition of Recognition.  As was suggested by question 3, the official position of the City of Mineta is that it represents the Empire of Man, which covers the entire world.  Everyone's technically entitled to citizenship.

On paper.

In theory.

But if you're a student of the Academy, and you've got Orso backing you, you're basically guaranteed to see your Petition sail through the courts and the Golden Council, assuming the Captain doesn't just step in and sign it on his own.  You're a mover and a shaker and Mineta sees you as kind of a trophy.

If you're Malthezar, though, there's no way you're going to formally reject your homeland.  Plan B, then, would be to earn a noble title through meritorious service (or a really spectacularly lucky marriage); rights of citizenship automatically attach when you're invested with a knighthood or greater, even if you do insist on honoring weird foreign rulers.

2. No. Chyte welcomes foreign racers.  There have been more than a few whose wins set them on the road to citizenship - Petitions of Recognition tend to go a lot more smoothly if you're famous.

3. See the above! :)

4. This is too complicated for a light discussion, but yes.

5. Yes.  If you happen to be a wandering aristocrat looking to play music and woo wealthy merchant princes and princesses so you can redeem the family estates, they'd call you a trovatere; if you're relatively poor and just making a living touring from tavern to tavern and inn to inn (though usually on a fixed circuit - and one generally thought to be safe from brigands), you're usually called a busker or a tumbler or a juggler.  Regardless, you're not alone on the road!

@Legate of Mineta: 1. Again I ask: Where do Manoites and Amoites live relative to Mineta? And are they still around? If not, what happened to them?

2. Does Mineta ever expel Oursoukis in times of high stress/tension?

3. How much are average Minetans able to distinguish between Oursouk and Saisyne (and their peoples). A the people of Saisyne also stereotyped as dragons' servants/agents?

4. Since Auncesay has a king alone among the kingdoms of the Empire of Man, is it more centralized than other kingdoms (such as Staade)?

For your caste system question there is also the law in Mineta and most other parts of empire of men that only certain profession are allowed to or better said have to wear certain outfits.

I think nothing says more that your living in some form of caste system then that you have to show your profession with your outfit.

Although your caste is only set after you start to learn a profession and so there at last some ways to change your lot.

@Legate of Mineta

1. The game mentions if the PC gets expelled that even a first year education at Academagia is a great advantage, but this is presented as the PC's thoughts. Is this true? Have there been any great mages who were expelled from Academagia yet were able to go on to great careers as mages?

2. Is technological/industrial espionage known? I could imagine various powers being quite interested in, for example, Ruckmarn's technology.

1. Legate, what is the legal status of Mastery artifacts which are so old as to no longer have any active enchantments?

I suppose such things could come in a variety of flavors, some of which may still yet have secrets associated with them even if the magical aspect is dead. I suppose the most obvious case is to disregard such things and assume they're all still super dangerous...

2.  Can you tell us a little bit about the processes involved in creating a club? Are there topics which clubs are forbidden to dwell upon due to rowdy students, or unusually dangerous magics for unsupervised children to study?

3. A question for the team. As Pamela has been a Familiar to many wizards at the Academagia, I would like to ask if she will make an appearance in the game even if she was never the Player's?

For Y2 students who have Mr. Pebbles, I would love for him to meet Pam, and win a "Worst familiar ever" contest. It might only be worthy of a random event, but it would be hillarious to come up with a bunch of truly awful Familiars only for the stupid rock to outdo them in accidental destruction and annoyingness. :)

Well, I bet even the team is frustrated with how long it's taking.

With Y1 effectively done,  Y2 should be gaining steam, even if just a little.I just wish that we weren't totally in the dark.

Legate, years ago you said y2 looked better than Y1 did in beta. Just how is it looking now, and can you tell us what prerequisites are neccessary to finally move to beta?

2 hours ago, freespace2dotcom said:

Well, I bet even the team is frustrated with how long it's taking.

With Y1 effectively done,  Y2 should be gaining steam, even if just a little.I just wish that we weren't totally in the dark.

Legate, years ago you said y2 looked better than Y1 did in beta. Just how is it looking now, and can you tell us what prerequisites are neccessary to finally move to beta?

I know mine:

Year 1 final Patch

Y2 Class list

Y2 Modtools

Still some times before a release.

Actually, there's a really good chance that the beta will come out before the class list, modtools, and save converter..All of those things require a final game in order to be released. A beta just needs to be far enough along that you want extra eyes to find things that the devs overlooked.

I would rather get a class list first so we could at least discuss it openly, but I would suck it up and begrudgingly keep quiet about the classes if we got access to the beta. Ooh, to see progress like that, it gives me shivers thinking about it! :)

@Legate of Mineta:

1. With all of this talk about class lists, I wonder: is there a master list of students in Academagia that students can easily look up? I ask because I am planning a resolution to an adventure in which one student knows almost nothing about another student beyond his name.

2. have ghosts ever formally been recruited as spies?

3. Are any Academagia students from Ruckmarn?

4. Why are associations of students based upon region (e.g., Auncesay) less important than they were in the past? Growing cultural hegemony from Mineta (even as its power declines)?