Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

So about The Disaster Looks for a Cure: Is there a meaningful difference between giving the [redacted] to Professor Badcrumble as opposed to, say, throwing it at the market, purely because the former doesn't require any sort of roll whereas the latter does? Obviously there'll be a difference insofar as that a different person ends up with it, but does the (absence of a) roll matter at all?

@Metis Isn't Ana Flavia ending up with a different wand depending on what ending you chose? I personal want to see what the amateurish change in the core of the wand will have as effect in year 2 ^^. Also I think it might even have a small impact who end up with the illegal dragon part as I think to remember the team have planed something where you can use it in year 2.

The Legate also mentioned here that when we lose/sell the items we find in Schohanwitch we might be in trouble in year 2 what hint in my opinion that it might be important for year 2 what items you keep or sell. 

Ana's new wand does change, but I'm honestly not sure if that's going to be significant or even relevant for anything. And if it is, Garibaldi sells a Planer Shift wand for 990 Pims, no need to trade a unique item for it, so that angle I see as being covered either which way.

As for who ends up with the part, well, that's obviously going to be different, but I was curious whether giving it to Badcrumble was in some way different solely because that option doesn't require you to roll for anything. Which apparently it is <_<. I was I was going to toss it to the Sphinx or keep it for myself more'n likely regardless, but...options.

1) Are there Club Recruitments day(s) at the start of year 2?

2) Have the team already decided if clubs kick out members that show no interesst in joining their activities?

3) If clubs tend to kick out inactive members are there clubs that try to keep certain inactive member just because of their fame?

4) Can we leave a club (especial the one we joined trough year 1) during year 2?

Bump #2! Just interested in this one.

5.This is kind of a big one. I've been trying to order all of the history in the game for a while. Given that we only ever get pieces and there is no official timeline to reference outside of your internal documents. Can you look over my understanding of the proper order of history and make any corrections and notations you feel are needed? I'm aware that it seems the periods overlap a bit, so I've tried to make as much sense of everything as I can.

The First Captivity: Dragons show up rather suddenly, make a show of force taking land, and cohabitate with many native races through feigned goodwill, which quickly deteriorates into outright slavery, probably taking about a generation or so, and lasts for a good while, This is where most magic was first taught to humans, even though Astrology is older. Eventually, a rebellious army was created, by the mythic kings and queens who today are the namesakes of the Academagia's colleges. This coalition eventually succeeded in defeating the dragons, although due partly to choices made, the final blow to the oppressors never came...

The Exile: Having lost the war to put down their human slaves, the dragons apparently chose an extreme course of action was necessary to save themselves. Although due to the catastrophic ramifications of the event, it is not well understood outside of the obvious, whole chunks of the world were rended skyward, with great violence. The chaos that ensued caused the collapse of most kingdoms, as the map literally needed to be rewritten. Making matters worse was it became impossible to return to or communicate with the surface. The aftershocks from this event continued for centuries and can still be felt in a subdued way today. Travel was impossible to and from all of these newly created sky islands, which allowed the dragons time to recuperate, and since they could fly....

The Second Captivity: The dragons reasserted their domination one island at a time. As the humans were separated, they could not band together and were easy prey. Although due to this separation, there were many islands which did in fact live free from the tyranny that many ultimately suffered. Eventually, though it seemed that this period might have gone on forever, eventually the new gods appeared, These beings organized humanity, and gave many gifts of knowledge to reignite the rebellion against the old masters, and were powerful enough (with the help of many other races once subservient to the dragons decided to join in the rebellion, although that is not well known today and is a bit scandalous) to eject them from what is now considered Elumia, partially by the forced dissolution of their main ruling body. They also set up the defenses against the dragons, which ultimately lead to..

The Early Empire:: Even early in the second rebellion, it was clear that a unified front was required to face the dragons. A powerful imperial government was set up, (which is the foundation of the modern calendar) as well as a centralized school for teaching the magical arts that were so critical at having a chance at defeating dragons in combat. The descendants of the new gods were the ones who were most involved in this. Since the dragons again were never fully defeated, a powerful force was required to meet them in battle during their inevitable return. Many battles have been fought successfully since.

The Middle Empire: After several centuries of self rule, the Empire of Man begain to truly prosper. airships became common, reestablishing trade and communication with the disparate islands had a very powerful positive effect, although things eventually started to slowly turn downhill. Gradually, the threat of the dragons started waning, and as that was the glue which formed the very fabric of human society up until that point, individual regions gradually started becoming more autonomous, and infighting started occuring amongst certain regions. This, and the abuse of certain magics for more petty endeavors led to both corruption and disaster, causing said magics to be repeatedly banned and unbanned, causing a loss of knowledge on how to properly deal with them. Some even dared to challenge the imperial rule, (the story of enlightenment) although that is a story for another time. Eventually, though, an event happened which dealt the Empire a grievous blow...

The Calamities: Due to the dying out of several bloodlines of royalty who were elected to the position of the Emperor, there were only a handful of candidates worthy of being considered. Eventually, the island from which most emperor hailed was suddenly overcome by an incredibly devastating event which saw that vast majority of it collapse back down onto the old world below. Although a few people were saved in time, the island, which was one of the largest, was simply too large, and the collapse too fast to even think about a proper evacuation. The event was not a clean collapse, either, which caused massive amounts of floating debris and powerful storms to wreak havoc on the whole region surrounding the area where it used to be.The loss of one of the last main Imperial bloodlines caused the seat to become vacant, further accelerating the decay of the government

The Modern Era (To be named later no doubt): While the Imperial government still stands, and most regions of which it is made up have never openly revoked it's claim of power over them, in practice it is a shadow of its former self and all islands except for the one which holds it's capital practice a very large degree of autonomy. It's presently unknown exactly how much stress the current political system can take, should a serious event happen, but as it stands most are still interested in maintaining the status quo. Unfortunately this also includes resistance to the idea that reforms are needed to even patch together and repair the now ailing millenial-old defenses against the dragons should they ever decide to return in force, which has not been seen in centuries.

S & Free;

1) Are there Club Recruitments day(s) at the start of year 2?

Yes.

2) Have the team already decided if clubs kick out members that show no interesst in joining their activities?

No, not yet.

3) If clubs tend to kick out inactive members are there clubs that try to keep certain inactive member just because of their fame?

There would be. :)

4) Can we leave a club (especial the one we joined trough year 1) during year 2?

Yes.

Free;

The order is correct, although there is history before the First Captivity, of course.

Of course, there is history before the dragons came, but am I correct in assuming that it was so long ago, that it is not well known anymore, especially since draconic influence (and magic) literally reshaped the world?

What is the pre-captivity era of history called?

1) Is it planed that the player character study outside of Academagia for extended times in a later year i.e. because he is joining the archeological expedition of a professor or select his tutelage Professor for year 4 or 5 outside of the academy?

2) Is it planed that one or more Professor resign their job at Academagia (i.e. because the political direction of the College or the Academagia change) but students still are be able to pick them as their tutor for year 5?

3) Because of the "bad" direction of Godina's regent is it planed that it will be possible to select a former Regent as tutor for year 5 (especial when the char did a certain adventure in year 1) ?

I am very interested in learning more about the previous regent of Aranaz, Professor Strom,  Unfortunately as he is tied into the main story somehow we are a lot less likely to learn anything about him until the team chooses to reveal such info.

Since many stop teaching at the Academagia before they die, I would like to ask if there are any rules set in place to prevent such former staff from returning in a limited capacity for a single or small group of students.. My thinking is, even if they were booted out due to politics or bad blood with a current administration, unless they are considered a full criminal the School itself would be neutral to such an idea, though the individual regents would probably attempt to stop it if they could, leaving it up to the students to really want it....

Legate, are all aspects of Gates research considered illegal, or merely the magical spellcasting aspects? When the bans went into place, would a Gates master who wished to comply with the ban be able to travel to ghost-infested regions in order to study them without hassle?

Also, for those who have a ghost or shade as a Familiar, is there any danger of being mistaken for a Gates mage, especially if seen casting spells on said Familiar?

Didn't you tell us some times back that registered Gate artefacts from pre ban times are still allowed to be used?

Edit: (new Questions)

2) Can Students who stay in Mineta (or have the Secret Background) become research assistant for a Professor or Regent during the summer break and is this a possible favor at the start of year 2?

3) For students who don't have the big money at the end of year 1 would it possible to request a favor from a Professor / Regent to get a place for their library?

That sounds pretty incredible! I didn't realize it went as far back as '85. I suppose It makes sense, though, given how detailed everything.is. Can you tell us more about that original campaign or would that invoke spoilers?

@Legate of Mineta: Are any of the characters from this game from that campaign?

And a couple of in-universe questions: 1. Are astrologers often used as detectives/finders of missing people/objects?

2. Are there weapons that are enchanted to inflict wounds that are more difficult to cure through magical and mundane means? are such weapons legally restricted?