Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Just now, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhialto;

Oh, trousers, yes. :)

1. But can satyrs wear human trousers, or are their legs too differently shaped? I am not being obtuse.

2. Lest I seem like a human with a trouser fetish (although honestly, I am asking these questions for the Y2 adventure "Beatrix von Wetgen's Wondering Band", which is planned to feature satyrs and a fancy party), here is another question, inspired by Harry Potter Fandom. Harry Potter fandom assumes that mages, even after they finish school, are much concerned with what colleges/houses of schools they went to or are suited for. Other fans criticize this concept. In the setting of Academagia, it has been established that colleges remain influential upon mages' lives long after they finish school. But are mages who went to the Academagia ever known to say (perhaps with condescension?) "you would have been perfect for X College?"

@Legate of Mineta: 1. Is there any tradition of mime or pantomime?

2. Was there any quarrel with King Morvidus due to his late arrival in the war against the dragons? I could understand how he could be accused of cowardice or incompetence for being late to the war.

3. Is there any taboo surrounding telling stories about the liberation war against the dragons? I am aware that stories about that war are constantly being told in various forms, but would there be horror if a storyteller were to admit that he/she, rather than basing his/her story upon oral tradition or a great past work, had simply made the story up? In this, I exclude comical interludes (although it would be interesting if there were such a strong taboo).

4. Are there legal or social limits upon how comical/incompetent dragons can be shown as being? I can imagine that there were at one time strong movements to preserve at all times the notion that dragons are dangerous and evil.

Rhialto;

1) Pantomime, yes.

2) If there was, it's not recorded in History. That said, you may want to look at the Lores for other clues.

3) There's no problem spinning new stories, if it's in the right venue and form.

4) No, not particularly. In theater and song, Dragons are simultaneously all-powerful and comically inept.

@Legate of Mineta: 1. I apologize if this question has been asked before, but how many known sky islands capable of supporting, say at least 100 people are known to geographers in the Empire of Man?

On 1/14/2019 at 3:01 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

3) There's no problem spinning new stories, if it's in the right venue and form.

What would be a wrong venue and form for new stories?

3. Are there any traditions about humans being more magically powerful (as opposed to more magically knowledgeable/sophisticated) before or after the exile?

4. Is one common artistic motif showing the gods teaching humans astrology?

Rhi;

1) It hasn't, and I'm not sure the figure. I don't think anyone's considered it from that perspective, because that would mean water and arable land.

2) Presenting it as fact or something more than humor or an interesting story.

3) Before, yes.

4) Yes, it is often seen in government buildings or private decor as well.

@Legate of Mineta: Inspired by a semi-random event that I am writing:

1. Would I be correct in thinking that the more powerful gates summoning spells have higher probabilities of going wrong somehow?

2. Are summoned creatures catalogued in ranks according to their powers?

3. Would researching the previous two questions while not practicing or planning to practiced gates magic be legal?

4. Are summoned creatures that are capable of casting their own magic more dangerous to  summon, and can summoning them more easily go wrong?

Rhialto;

1) The problems associated with Gates do not seem to have any relation to the complexity or power of a Spell- it applies to all, no matter how weak. Worse, when things go wrong, the results also do not seem to be tied to power or complexity...

2) No, although there has been some attempts to add them to a taxonomy.

3) Quasi-legal. It would certainly invite attention.

4) That chain of disaster is possible, yes.