Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

I don't think the information I need is on there (although I could have missed it), but that's mostly my fault for the way I asked the question.  Rephrased better below:

I know that the amount contributed to the roll by the attribute is between zero and twice the attribute.  However, I don't know how probable certain outcomes are.  For example, if you were to role a die, the number of possible results is 6.  If you were to flip five coins and count the number of heads, the number of possible results is six (0 to 5 heads).  In the former case, the probability of getting the maximum result is 1/6.  In the latter, it is a pitiful 1/32.  Basically, is each attribute point's effect calculated individually, or are they just treated as a single value for the range, or is it some third thing, like gods forbid picking either 0, 1, or 2 and multiplying it by the attribute?

To answer your question Raydestroyer:

- if it is a default class of your College in year 2 then you can join no matter your exam results 

- If you had the required skills as class in year 1 your exam results count although it might get some adjustment in year 2

- If you didn't have the required topic as class in year 1 then there is still the chance that you can take a test before class in year 2 start.

For how the real exam result calculate either use the spreadsheet from Freespace or check out here: https://academagia.fandom.com/wiki/Exams:_A_Guide as each Class is different how mid-therm weights and about the calculation when you fail a class 

Rhi;

1) "Generally speaking, it's not automatically illegal in the wider world - as long as you're not casting it on a child or a member of a royal or Imperial family, it's legally indistinguishable from getting someone extremely intoxicated.  It's strongly frowned upon in legal communities, but by the old Imperial code it's really the actions you take after someone is in a state of diminished capacity that determine whether or not criminal offenses have been committed.

That said, a mage who casts it would very likely suffer civil penalties (i.e., lawsuits) or extralegal penalties (i.e., getting thrown off an island) if caught doing so without the consent of an influential target (and/or without the magical, political or financial leverage needed to shut the complaints down).

A student casting it on another student at the Academagia is a different matter altogether, particularly if it led to any traumatic consequence.  As a matter of tradition, the school prefers to keep these things in-house rather than referring them to the Captain and company, but anyone who went really overboard would probably face a hearing either from his or her own Regent or from the full council of the Regents.  Penalties in the latter case could be every bit as severe as criminal courts would assign, just... rather less public."

2) Eye protection of one type or another is important, and goggles play that role. How the individual practitioner protects their eyes is a matter of choice.

@Legate of Mineta: 1. If phemes can be classed as non-mastery based upon suspiciously convenient and possibly forged imperial decrees, then spells who has said that spells cannot be classed as belonging to Gates or Mastery despite containing no forbidden phemes?

2. Is it illegal to suggest that the classification of the pheme as non-Mastery was based upon a forgery in order to make things convenient for mages and society?

3. Do many alchemists not use goggles to protect their eyes, favoring magical methods?

...I can't find a quote, but I vaguely recall Mikka mentioning that Aaran's extra adventure had especially convoluted/difficult/unintuitive/something along those lines requirements to unlock? Maybe I'm misremembering, but either way I've never seen it ingame, and I haven't heard of anyone unlocking it either.

EDIT: Can anyone check ingame if Dwarf in the Bathroom 02a (Ghampers and Dumbles and Poikes, oh my!) Language success text has a typo where the first sentence reads "You pacee[sic] around thinking about what a Ghamper could be."? The failure text doesn't have this typo.

If so I found the singular dumbest way to maybe get a hint as to Aaran's secret adventure. Never works out well either, so don't ask me why I keep trying.

I’ve read some of the older threads and it seems to me that all the new technology and weapons made in game have not yet been used in a massive military or war in general, examples would be like the airship, not much lore on the gun but assumed to be in reaserched, Ruckamans a country which seems to be advancing in technology at a rapid pace, I think, may be wrong,

would I be right to assume that once the empire dissolved without any pc interacting to make a puppet emporer or hell, become emporer himself, that the world of Academagia would ssseintially become Europe and ww1 situation would then become reality where everyone’s producing guns, wepons, air ships, Mages become enlisted in army’s for war and everyone forms alliances and it’s basically a powder keg waiting to implode with everyone waiting for a reason to start a war. 

Would I be right to assume this Is what would happen if the empire dissolves?

1. Does Aaran's second adventure actually exist in Y1? Because despite my...something efforts (how that should be filled in I'll leave as an exercise to the reader) I can't find it.

2. What is Miya's personal ability? From my research it seems like it should give her +3 Acrobatics and +2 Knots/Climbing, but when I started a new file she only has Acrobatics 2.

3. Related, is it intended that Miya doesn't have her Familiar's ability listed in her ability list? Antonio does, but Miya does not.

Oh sweet, a Mastery version of the Temptation of Gates emotion? I'll look into that.

For this test run, could you please make sure you're Informed of the Venalicium: Forbidden Archives location? I think that if Aaran's second adventure exists unlocking it might be tied to giving a specific answer in that RE, but I'm not sure. Alternatively it could be tied to choosing the Mastery exit during another RE of his (the Glamour question one) or his student adventure (The Most Tedious Task in the World), but since IIRC his adventure is supposed to be about the two of you figuring out Mastery together, not Aaran learning from your existing expertise.

Yes, that does mean this test run might be doomed if the adventure requires you to not have much/any Mastery skill ranks, but...one way to find out I guess.

Oh one more thing, if you find any reference to a character known as the "rat girl", please inform me. I believe it's related to Aaran's second adventure (again, if it exists).

36 minutes ago, Metis said:

Oh one more thing, if you find any reference to a character known as the "rat girl", please inform me. I believe it's related to Aaran's second adventure (again, if it exists).

The rat-girl is encountered in the adventure The Door in the Bad Part of Town. She collects magically potent treasures as tribute or protection against the force that forced her into hiding.

58 minutes ago, golconda said:

I leveled up both my and Aaran's Mastery, all subskills to 10 and no adventure, but  there was , " Joy of Mastery" emotion that i had not seen before. Did his adventure and the ratgirl too. I'm gonna do a look tomorrow a bit more see if can find the Venalicium you mentioned Metis and level Gates a bit more but i think that's it, it was a pretty wild chase to begin with it. I do liked that the team gave mastery 2 emotions it was a nice something.

I had no idea that the Gates emotion Joy of Gates existed either.

@Legate of Mineta: Are the Joy of Mastery and Joy of Gates emotions known about in the world at large, or are they kept secret, lest they tempt people into becoming gates aand mastery mages?