Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...

@Legate of Mineta: What form does a religious service take in Mineta? Is there a reading from scripture followed by a sermon and prayers? Or is there, for example, the presentation of a cult image for praise, anointing, and veneration?

I ask because I am planning a Y2 adventure at a service in the Temple of Iudocia, but want to be accurate to the lore.

1 hour ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhi;

It depends on the deity, but the Imperial Temple's services might include both of what you describe. I'll see if the Team would like to publish anything related to this, as there are descriptions in the world docs.

I hope that such a publication could be made.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If something monumentally bizarre and newsworthy happened in one of the Empire's former territories, basically not some Gods-forsaken isolated end of nowhere, how long would it take for news to reach Mineta? I don't know to what extent magic can simulate phones/internet/etc., but at the same time I assume that such news wouldn't take weeks to filter through the airship trade routes either. Not necessarily, anyway.

That bring up the interesting question what magic beside Gate magic can transport messages to a location you can't see.

I suspect Incantation should be the most reliable i.e sending a message with the wind if it is known that someone can hear the wind at the destination.

Astrology should also have ways but the question is if at the destiny the message is interpreted the same way as the sender intended.

Calligraphy could have enchanted papers that copy a message written on one of the papers to one or multiple linked papers.  Because this method need the papers transported to the different locations first I suspect there also some that clear the written messages after some time so that they can used many times. 

For Revision and Glamour i right now can't see how it works unless it is made into a set of items.

(Probably BCS imagined other way then the few I came up just now)

Metis;

Sorry! I missed your question (thanks Schwarzbart!)

If something really notable occurred it would generally take a few hours for the Last House of the West to disseminate the news, and word could spread much faster than that, if direct magical means we’re used to communicate.

To Schwarzbart’s comment, there are a number of ways to send information magically one of the more common being to Incant ones voice such that it produces sound at a known location (with hopefully people nearby to hear!)

How old is the Last House of the West, and what level of "notable" would a story need to be to be spread far and wide through them? Also, semi-related matter, how long ago did Briardi assume her position as Durand's regent? Less than, say, 15 years ago?

@Metis;

I'll have to ask about Briardi.

The Last House of the West pre-dates the New Gods by an unknown time span. Notable generally means news the Imperial Temple deems worthy of spread, or, more rarely, sent by the initiative of the local chapter. In rare cases the Last House will take on a commission, usually sponsored by a very wealthy client (Kings, etc.) to spread news. This is almost always limited to nuptials or child birth, however.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/8/2017 at 4:22 PM, Legate of Mineta said:

3)  Longest tenure belonged to Erato of Monteon, the Lady of Rubies, from 517 to 608.  Legend has it that once a year she would magically age every student a single day, and rejuvenate herself by the accumulated number of days she had claimed - but when the magic went wrong, it went very wrong.

What school(s) did that transference spell belong to? Or would if it was only a legend, I suppose.

From the Team:

"Unsurprisingly, the original details have been suppressed, and unofficial stories about what was done vary widely.  That said, Erato was a former Vernin girl, and there's a broad agreement that there was an enchanted object involved - possibly the lintel over the main entrance to the refectory.

Still another reason to be wary of eating at the Academy."

Is it possible to enchant, say, a still..."living" isn't the word here, a still being used bone as one would a wand to achieve *insert magical effect here*, and if so, does that enchantment suffer anything like faster degradation because the bone in question grows/possibly breaks/etc.?

Metis;

Here you go:

"Yes, but with caveats beyond the obvious.  When you enchant a wand or a rock, you're essentially locking in a kind of fundamental magical identity: the wand is going to remain a wand (albeit with the potential for a degree of modification) until it is no longer functional.  As a rule, it is much, much, much harder to do Revision on a wand - particularly somebody else's wand - than it is to do Revision on a random stick.

When you enchant a bone that's still part of a living being, you put that bone in conflict with the magical identity of the individual itself.  If you're extremely lucky, it all eventually reconciles and harmonizes.

What's much more likely is that the enchanted bone works as intended for a short period of time - anywhere from minutes to weeks - and then things start getting ugly.  Either the individual's native magical nature starts diluting or warping the enchantment (and, yes, weakening the bone physically), or the enchantment starts asserting influence over the individual's body or mind.  In fact, a sizeable minority of known bonecarvers ended up as magical bone statues (ironically enough, a really good foundational material for wands); many more had to lop off their own body parts to prevent corruption or death.

Note also that the most successful bone infusions/enchantments were self-inflicted.  A wizard imbuing herself with magical effects is much less likely to inspire a horrific magical allergic reaction (for want of a better phrase) than a wizard who's interfering with somebody else's body.

And yet it is extremely unpleasant to perform complicated enchantments on your own bones.  The odds of losing concentration and doing something unpleasant and irrevocable are sufficiently high that even the most arrogant Vernin mad artificers generally give the whole idea a pass."