Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

So there are classes that are open to everyone, and classes that are only open to members of the college that "owns" the class. Has it ever been a thing for a college to offer a course that some other colleges can attend, but not all of them? For example, Aranaz offering a class that everyone can attend except Durand students. 

56 minutes ago, academag said:

GC;

No, ostensibly not- but instructors control entry via tests/exams and could, if desired, prevent anyone from entering they wished.

Wow, @academag. Would I be correct in thinking that you have a key role in Black Chicken Studios?

In any case, are there any students whose parents have persuaded instructors to prevent their children from entering certain courses for certain reasons?

1 hour ago, Rhialto said:

Wow, @academag. Would I be correct in thinking that you have a key role in Black Chicken Studios?

In any case, are there any students whose parents have persuaded instructors to prevent their children from entering certain courses for certain reasons?

Wasn't it that the parents actual have to sign the student up for what class they want to take and the ultimate decision what class each students take come from the Academagia? At last I have something like this in the back of my head.

10 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Schwarzbart;

That's right. It's certainly possible that parents might have persuaded/bribed instructors to select Students for classes, but in the end, the decision belongs with the Academagia. So...your influence may have very different results, depending.

will Y1 imports to Y2 still have the full free choice, within their skill ranks, or will the parents and professor relationship already play a role for them?

That make me wonder if there is some special relationship between the player char and someone of influence at Academagia that will explain this free choice later on ^^. Aka if the team did come up with a background for this free choice or not. I.e. like the Miss Schwarzbart for most of my chars that is a quite old mage from the same bloodline / family as the char.

My hope is that it is just left to the player to decide for themselves what makes sense for the character to be able to do. Personally, I do take into account what I think the character's family would want when picking classes (along with other factors). The player has full choice, but that doesn't have to mean the character always has full choice.

There are just too many different factors of potential backgrounds. For my Up From Destitution characters, I don't want them to have any influence or connections to ensure they get their wanted classes. But their parents also don't have the influence or connections to get in their way. If you're the Favorite Child then you could be smothered with concern and careful direction to your professors, or maybe you just begged and your parents let you have any classes you wanted. If you have Black Sheep then maybe the parents would never listen to your arguments, but you could also say they weren't paying attention or don't care enough to influence your classes. 

I know families are going to be more fleshed out and customizable in Y2, but it would be a lot of work to program in all the possibilities and also allow the player to pick the exact outcome and factors that lead to it. The same result is achieved by just letting the player pick freely in the first place, and imagine whatever process they want that led up to it. I would be disappointed if instead of all those different possibilities, all player characters just blanketly actually had a direct line of influence.

• Like 1

Rhi;

"1.  Sort of.  It's common for Guards or relatively high-status mercenaries to receive instruction in strategies and tactics appropriate against magical enemies, and certainly the Captain (among other power players) keeps an armory of weapons and armor that can be used against a rogue wizard if needed.

But, as a rule, if you're going to specialize in dealing with dangerous mages, and you have the resources to make a go of it, you're going to be/get dangerous mages of your own as well.

2.  They're not common, but they exist. You may have already seen at least one in the Adventures..."

13 hours ago, Legate of Mineta said:

Rhi;

"Doors (we refer you again to the Venalicium), windows, lakes/ponds, wells, and full-sized mirrors are probably the standouts.  Any structure or feature that seems in some way liminal - like a natural boundary in and of itself - lends itself well to that kind of magical amplification."

Ohh so a mirror labyrinth could be actual a multidimensional node?

3 minutes ago, Rhialto said:

@Legate of Mineta: Do all students at the Schohanwicht School have the same age range (more or less) as students at the Academagia, or are there older students at the Schohanwicht?

Although in Academagia the students of the same year are around the same age this don't means it is the same for the class we visit! The Y1 class are also taken by some students of later years, at last if I remember correct.