Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Schwarzbart;

No- in fact, you'll see that ending again at the start of Year 2 for that reason.

Freespace;

1. Are there astral projection techniques?

No comment. ;)

2. Can magic be used to switch bodies?

No comment. :)

3. Will our characters get a skill to represent ability with the mundane "magic" and it's "uses"? (I envision doing something like that as a ploy to lower a person's guard [ohh, this guy can't do real magic], THEN turn them into a toad.)

Yeah, I think that would be cool! I don't know the answer, but I hope so. :)

4. Of all the colleges, historically, which tends to win the merit competitions, becuase from what I can tell, it's any one but the one you choose...

Historically, it depends on the number of Students who are committed to winning. This Year, Vernin seems to win a lot. ;)

And those stupid Morjerks... /grumble

(Save for when I'm playing them, of course.)

Does each year have a different merit competition, or are we technically competing alongside our seniors and just can't see their results/have it folded in to our own?

Stupid Morjerks.. hehe.. good one! ;)

1. Does mithril exist, or any items of similar semi-magical nature?

2. Is Oncestran(spelling?) supposed to be a constructed language like esperanto?

3. Are there classes that have more of a applied knowledge "Lab" as opposed to the more traditional classroom experience?

4. What good does the test-taking skill do? My first impression would think it would increase exam scores, but I don't really see an improvement. It's hard to tell, admittedly. but....

5. I think it's safe to say that if there's ghosts, there's possessions. And knowing that this encroaches on "no comment" and [redacted] territory, I only ask how that might be avoided. (without gates, of course)

6. On the Serenity pheme; What pillar DOES that fall under?

7. So, say you wound up with a certain tome of Mastery in an ancient Bassan dialect, after fighting off proscribed possibly undead wizards. Say you don't really WANT the tome, but don't want it to fall in the wrong hands. HOW would a student go about disposing of that in a safe manner without getting into trouble?

8. The uniforms, I can visualize more or less, but other clothing I'm a little blurry on. I've been using civilian clothing from the recent assasin's creed game since it's renaisance era. Close enough?

9. Are there any delicacies that exist in this setting that might not have a counterpart in real life?

10. Regarding spells that have been around for centuries and have faded, is the only way to fix them through the same pillar as the original? Or is it ususally possible (within context, of course) to use another pillar to achieve the same result?

11. Is the rest of Vernin tower in any danger should the frozen explosion unfreeze? Or is the damage mostly done already?

12. How would a wizard track down a Gates mage? I can see a negater preventing one from teleporting out if they're close to each other, but since most spells used to find someone seem to be two way streets I think it would be rather hard to get that close.

13. Have magical "fans" been created? (basically modern electrical fans, running on magic instead... I would think that would be pretty simple to do with such a potent energy like magic.)

14. For future reference, what term should be used for illegal mages? Maleficars? Apostates? Evil Meanies?

15. Would using body parts of the dead to create a golem (a-la Frankenstein) be proscribed? No gates magic, just a cleverly enchanted "zombie-golem" protected against rot.

Freespace;

1. Does mithril exist, or any items of similar semi-magical nature?

There are several magical metals and compounds, but I don't think mithril exists per se.

2. Is Oncestran(spelling?) supposed to be a constructed language like esperanto?

No, it's essentially English.

3. Are there classes that have more of a applied knowledge "Lab" as opposed to the more traditional classroom experience?

Yep.

4. What good does the test-taking skill do? My first impression would think it would increase exam scores, but I don't really see an improvement. It's hard to tell, admittedly. but....

It doesn't have a bearing on Exams, just provides 'mental insurance'. :)

5. I think it's safe to say that if there's ghosts, there's possessions. And knowing that this encroaches on "no comment" and [redacted] territory, I only ask how that might be avoided. (without gates, of course)

Negation, but also Revision, are strongly involved in protecting oneself.

6. On the Serenity pheme; What pillar DOES that fall under?

According to the Description, it's Revision...surely the Empire would not allow it otherwise...;)

7. So, say you wound up with a certain tome of Mastery in an ancient Bassan dialect, after fighting off proscribed possibly undead wizards. Say you don't really WANT the tome, but don't want it to fall in the wrong hands. HOW would a student go about disposing of that in a safe manner without getting into trouble?

Good question. :)

8. The uniforms, I can visualize more or less, but other clothing I'm a little blurry on. I've been using civilian clothing from the recent assasin's creed game since it's renaisance era. Close enough?

Yeah, I think that's about right.

9. Are there any delicacies that exist in this setting that might not have a counterpart in real life?

Several! Anything Draconic (if prepared well enough to remove its essential poisons) would be a likely candidate.

10. Regarding spells that have been around for centuries and have faded, is the only way to fix them through the same pillar as the original? Or is it ususally possible (within context, of course) to use another pillar to achieve the same result?

Using another Pillar would replace the Spell, although there are some specific Revision Spells that can 'repair' other Spells, assuming that you have enough knowledge about the subject.

11. Is the rest of Vernin tower in any danger should the frozen explosion unfreeze? Or is the damage mostly done already?

Who knows? No one wants that explosion to unfreeze and find out...;)

12. How would a wizard track down a Gates mage? I can see a negater preventing one from teleporting out if they're close to each other, but since most spells used to find someone seem to be two way streets I think it would be rather hard to get that close.

Gates Mages don't usually teleport, as it's pretty dangerous. Only Oursoukan Mages have the knowledge to do it perfectly, but of course...they are insane. :)

13. Have magical "fans" been created? (basically modern electrical fans, running on magic instead... I would think that would be pretty simple to do with such a potent energy like magic.)

Yep!

14. For future reference, what term should be used for illegal mages? Maleficars? Apostates? Evil Meanies?

I like Maleficars, personally! I'll have to check with the Team.

15. Would using body parts of the dead to create a golem (a-la Frankenstein) be proscribed? No gates magic, just a cleverly enchanted "zombie-golem" protected against rot.

Not Proscribed in the usual sense, no. But certainly illegal...everywhere. :)

Several! Anything Draconic (if prepared well enough to remove its essential poisons) would be a likely candidate.

...Dragons are essentially the puffer fish of Mineta? Gosh, there goes my image of them. Wait, where do they get dragons?

I usually hide my tomes and general illegals that I don't want my character to be found with either at Euneycia's (trustworthy enough lady) or in Schohanwicht Library.For year two, would I have to start rounding up all of my caches of illegals so that I don't lose them or can I just leave them there? And is there a danger of them being found at home? Because no matter how amusing it would be for a black sheep to unleash Diavesque on the parents, they might take offence. Especially if they're wealthy and noble. Nobility has no sense of humour.

Morjerks?! That's just mean! angry.gif

Sure we have two of the most annoying bullies in year one, the water boy spraying and generally pranking everyone, a dangerous girl who loves snakes that could escape at any moment, an overly pushy vegetarian, a girl whose cat's tail was included into her portrait, the fact that we live in a dorm filled with possibly dangerous animals and we have a very scary man for a Regent who would probably punish us if we didn't compete with gusto.

But that does not mean the students of Morvidus are jerks! (As evident by Artemis, of which I have been too busy to continue writing but will soon) We are more like a very dysfunctional family.

Honour must be regained!! *Cast Positive Alteration of Organic Matter*

So about those nicknames? Anything?

And also what are the possibilities of seeing a little online duel game? So that we can actually duel one another with our characters.smile.gif

....leaving items in your wardrobe seems good enough to prevent getting it confiscated, but I refer to getting rid of the items permanently in a safe manner. You can't just say, "hey, Legate, I found this relic of ultimate illegal magic but it's illegal.... Want it?" Are there places to anonymously safely dispose of those things?

Edit: I second the online duel motion.

"hey, Legate, I found this relic of ultimate illegal magic but it's illegal.... Want it?"

Ha! Well...to be fair, I think Orsi would like that. Complete with phrasing and all. Wish we could do that....

If we add a story of our adventures, do we get extra credit or points? (as long as we hide the means by which we acquired the item...)

Rest assured, I'm fond of the Morjerks. It's just a nickname I made up from the first roleplay I did, where the character ran in to issues with I think every Morvidus student but Mhadi, who is a pretty cool guy (and to be fair, much of the trouble was her own doing). Unless you insult or poke at his heritage, anyway. They're an interesting group.

(They pale in comparison to my beloved Aranaz, but they can't be blamed for that. All collages pale in comparison to Aranaz. Courtesy indeed.)

Besides the duel geas, are there any other common used geas that 'everyone' would be aware of in some way?

Oh, and any information yet about how the Student Council is organized? How many students sit upon it?

MadHatt;

These days, it's pretty rare to be able to acquire Dragon, but there's no shortage of fraud, and from time to time it is possible to come across dried specimens.

It will usually be best to leave all your Illegal Items on campus somewhere- I don't think that specific exceptions will be made for Illegal Items, even though in some cases it would be plausible for your Parents to be tolerant of certain kinds. :)

Your caches should remain in place for Year 2...mostly. ;)

Latin-esque, Aye!

Has engineering progressed to the point of understanding stress tolerances, or are buildings just built extremely tough so that they don't have to worry about that?

So regarding dragon-parts. If you happened to encounter one somehow, would it be more likely as a food component, a potion-reagent, a lucky charm, or some other purpose? You mentioned that dragon parts would generate questions as to how you aquired them. Does that apply even a single something like a claw, or small dried something, or more complete specimens?