Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Yes, well, that alone would not deter me. A pause certainly, but if it's a legit, fairly honest way to save me time (I'd rather train myself) I'd still go for it. Especially to get a small raise in skill statistics. The way the familiars skills add to your own, I feel you get a diminishing value for the time you spend raising your familiar. to add 1 or 2 points to your rolls is not terrible, especially if you'r otherwise maxed, but I don't think the effort in raising your familiar's incantation to 10 is worth only 5 in effect. That's just me, of course. I suspect, however that it will be necessary to do this in order to "specialize" in the magic skills in future years. I would rather spend time focusing on other areas then, in order to maximize the potential for growth.

I realize I'm again encroaching on [redacted] territory here... But I ask, Legate, that in future years, will we have enough information when playing whichever year, to at least decide for ourselves whether it's worth it to specialize before having to make that choice? I don't need the details (unless of course you want to tell, but... ;)) but some answer here would be highly appreciated.

Also, on a related in-game question, if specializing is supposed to take a large amount of effort, then why are there so few "jack of all trades" types?

Hmmm.

I don't believe Familiars are at all necessary to specialize in any form of Magic, but they are very useful tools.

I'm not entirely clear on your second question, though- if you are asking why there aren't a lot of Jack-of-all-Trades Mages, it is because you are at the Academagia! If you went to a lesser School of Magic, you might find Mages less willing to achieve the best in any subject. ;)

And I thought there are only 2 known Schools of Magic that teach all non Forbiden Magic, with the Academagia is one of them, and the rest have Focused on a speciality.

Didn't this mean that to become a Jack-of-all-Trades Mage he/she probably need privat teaching from diverent Mentors?

Schwarzbart;

Well, some Schools (like Contu), have a Charter from the City, and they can practice- usually Individuals can't get such Charters, though. Even though it's illegal, however, there are plenty of tutors available in the Upper City, with just a little looking. Upperclassmen, too, will Tutor (and some of your Year 1 Students Tutor, too!

You just have to know the right people and/or have enough money.

What language do they speak in Strozza? I've been looking online and in game, but I haven't found it. Also, why is it that if I pick a background from, say, Staade, I don't get points in Vilocian? Does that mean I'm not fluent in my native tongue?

Can I get the offical Rules against bully's of the Academagia?

Bullying: Magic between Students is not strictly regulated (as I am sure you can tell), and in many cases bullying is institutionalized: it's inherent to the competition instilled between Colleges, Students, in society, and as a product of the feudal modes practiced in Elumia.

Severe Bullying: Death, severe injury and mental infirmities are dealt with very severely, and as a consequence rarely happen. A Student being bullied to this point would be expected to step forward...but there is a strong peer pressure against this, too. It's an unpleasant situation.

Miscoduct

Can there be long term effects of using magics such as revision? As example, if I every day cast a spell to lengthen my fingers, would my fingers then slowly grow longer?

Considering the many mages running around acting crazy, shouldn't the guard-posts have large mirrors opposite their guard post? :P I can just see a guard captain admiring his own reflection most of the day when suddenly the mirror shows an Academagia student sneaking past yet not student in sigh otherwise... Time to start negating I think!