Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Can you put two phemes together in different ways, and come up with a different spell? That is, say your spell goes Fire-Smoke .. is that always the same spell?

The reason I ask is purely by chance I noticed today there are two different spells with the same Phemes in the same order. The Glow of Victory spell and the School Conquest spell to be specific. :)

Maybe we even can join some of the banished houses in later years even if only in our free time because at last for the Icanicix we know that they still exist.

For the Gate user it would be even posible that they still use "lost" parts of the Academagia via Gates (like the Portals the player can use to the Gate school of the Secret Hertiage).

I wonder if the Teleporting we can use in the New Morvidus Adventure is also posible without line of sight because then it would be extrem usefull within buildings even if only shortranged.

Grunthex;

Oh yes- while the Phemes provide the 'fuel', if you will, for the Spell, it's how and where you draw them which determines the outcome of a Spell. You'll learn more about this in Year 2, I believe, when you study the various modifications you make to Phemes. :)

From a lore standpoint, that comment makes me giddy. From a mechanical one, it makes my brain go all freak-out. There's like 300 Phemes, and you're going to let me MODIFY them? *faint*

Well, College rivalries tend to change over time. Icanicix was rival to Vernin for many centuries, and Kazus was rival to Durand.

And about the Kings and heroes: yes, all the Colleges are named after influential people in the revolt against the Dragons. King Kazio the Lesser was the King of the Bryzech tribes, and was famed for dominating the Dragon who ruled Brysia.

Awww......there better be a crazy option where you are so glorious that you can have a new Colleges named after your character.

......I will settle for College "Pudding" with the only compulsory lesson being "Cooking".

• 4 weeks later...

I am just wondering if I got this right, conserning the map.

Please correct me if I got something wrong, and feel free to add if I missed something ;)

Note the " " mark that it is text from the game. Hope I am not violating anything, if so I'll be sure to delete it.

"Auncesay is the modern name for Oncestria, the green and mountainous lands north of Meril."

North of the largest island, I am guessing Duchy of Langsey and lands further north.

"Meril is a rich and diverse land, the largest of the islands. The old administrative Kingdom of the Empire died with King Mathelin II at Sovein Field, and modern Meril is generally considered to extend from the Plaite in the west to Montevre in the east, with the mountains of Azern forming the border to the north. "

The largest island by far, with the exception of the north-eastern part of the island which is seperated from the rest by Azern (can be difficult to spot, but lies in the center on the island, noted by the Azern Confederacy)

"Renaglia is an archipelago of islands, containing all the old battlefields, palaces and cities of the first Empire."

"The Imperial City of Mineta, capital of the old Empire and the location of the Academagia, is within the borders of Renaglia."

The center of the map. I am guessing Alfi and north to the largest island belong in the Renaglia. A bit unsure whether islands to the east or west belong here, and whether the Republic of Pievre falls within the borders.

"Strozza is a broad chain of islands, extending from the Renaglian chain in the north, to the wide deserts of Oursouk in the south."

An arch of islands, streching from Stazia to the Republic of Venne. Perhaps the County of Vittoria to the south-east marks the most southern point of Strozza.

"The long and mountainous island chain north and east of Meril is Staade, the youngest of the Kingdoms to be incoporated in the Empire"

They would then be the islands north-east of the largest island/continent.

I am thinking that the County of Strasberg to the Principality of Schus, and the lands further north (not seen on the map) are all part of Auncish. I am unsure if the north-eastern part of the largest island belongs here.

Oursouk, the lands to the south. Very dry... >.> <.< *cough* well,.. yes,.. quite...

Adrian;

You have got it! Just a few notes:

Meril is technically the whole of the island, but the north-eastern part (as well as some parts of the north) are under dispute.

Pievre is a part of Meril, but the other islands are considered to be the northern part of Rengaglia. Ile Bruyere, now a part of Meril, was once the northern part of Monteon.

Vittoria is a part of Oursouk, although contested.

Staade is a part of Reisengen, the administrative name for that area, and culturally it continues for almost another full Elumian-sized map to the east. The same is true of Auncesay, which extends north quite some distance.

Sweet, thanks for the corrections/additions.

I remember as a child I'd love to just trail old maps, for no reason what so ever other than for the joy of it. (Surprisingly I never found my own country very interesting (too small really) so most often I ended up in Russia or northern Asia.. meh, babbling again.)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey. :) A few questions about getting in to the Academagia and then some weird offshoots...

a) How exactly does the Academagia selection project work? Do students/parents/town elders send in applications? Is there some sort of mage's registration list (be it self-registered or filled in by teams of mage's who go around inspecting every babe birthed in the region) that has every person with magic potential on it that the Academagia's letter-senders check? Do astrologers and others who specialize in divination-type magics sit around 'searching' for mages? Or is it done by the Academagia/the Gods/'magic' ala Harry Potter, where no one knows how the selection process is done or who does it, but it's done all the same? On the same note, how much magic potential does the student have to 'have' before they receive a letter? Are only students from Elumia selected- or, more basic, if a child with a talent for magic and extreme potential was born, I dunno, so far west that there people are practically barbarians (or even dragon worshipers!) in the eyes of the Elumian and somehow they managed to come to attention to the selection process (royalty, exploded their hometown in a tragic potions accident, traveled through Elumia once), would they receive the Academagia letter or is it 'Elumia (and very close outskirts) only? Could bribes change the answer to either of those questions, and could enough money get a child a bit older or a bit younger then 'standard' (or one who wishes to transfer from earlier schooling) in to the Academagia?

B ) How much does it cost to enter the Academagia? The opening mentions the character finds robes, textbooks, and so on waiting for them. Is that paid for by the Academagia, or does the prospective student (or more likely, their parents) give a few hundred pims to pay for everything? I imagine the travel cost of getting to the Academagia (and back and forth, during the summer break) is paid for by the student... is there anything else? It seems that the meals are provided for: is food for the familiars provided, too? Is there anything the student is expected to supply besides, I suppose, that familiar (unless they want a Pamela) and uh, the clothes on their back? Does the student supply their own wand, or does the Academagia give them one?

c) When does the student choose their collage (and their classes)? Are they sent some sort of form that they fill out and send back? Or is it done the first day they arrive? If it is, is it form-fill selection process, or do instructors (which ones?- are house heads or other instructors with heavy ties to a house (a recent graduate of one, perhaps?) included?) or older students or random talking statues explain the collages? Are students 'pushed' towards or away from collages? If a student comes in as an obnoxious, ambitious, talks-too-much-and-too-loudly, heavily driven, very well bound to their familiar, highly skilled in- I don't know, Music and Astrology, a long term planner and finally with an incredible hatred towards the outdoors and chooses Durand (maybe they like the robes the best?), will they be forbidden, subject to attempts to talk them out of it, or sent on their way with a thumbs up and cheery smile?

d) How exactly does the mail work? I know that it's been mentioned that there are telegraphs, but they're not often used because of complication of system/magic being easier. For the student at Academagia writing home, are the letters taken around by strict skymailmen (who hopefully are very skilled at fighting off skypirates?)? Are they teleported? Not really actually written, but rather spoken out-loud in the form of a spell perhaps done by an instructor that causes the words to form in front of the parents face? How long does it generally take for a letter to reach home? Does mail not involving the Academagia work similarly? What methods are there for emergency long distance communication, such as a grievous injury or a necessary witness to horrific crime?

e) ...What is the consequences for accidental knowledge of the forbidden, anyway? Such as 'I was hanging around, pondering the joys about life and how much I love living, and suddenly knew all about Gates Theory HALP'? Or Kayley's problem, in the Library of Longinus giving out a bit too much information. Would turning oneself (and the books) in to the Professors and explaining what happened just get a 'Ah, okay, be careful/dangerous/lecture!/don't/thank you for being honest' deal, an 'OMG EXPELLLLL' deal, or something in-between?

d) How much contact do first year students generally have with upperclassmen? I know they don't share any classes, while I am aware that they can pass each other on the grounds (obviously) and they generally celebrate festivals and other special events together. I have a feeling that the collage common room is shared- is that correct? Do they share the same washing areas (or bathrooms, if one prefers), presumably with collagemates of their own gender? Do they live on the same floor as same-sexed upperclassmen? Eat at the same general time and place if eating in the public area? Are they ever roomed with upperclassmen (such as when it comes to Avila's notable lack of male students)?

f) A long time ago, you mentioned that far to the east is where the ninjas are. (It's always far east, isn't it? Hm.) Is the country/island/place known yet?

Sorry for the bombard. ...I have five gazillion more, too. ;; Thank you for your time, and no problem if something can't be answered/I don't make sense or such. :)

f) It has to because the overal size of the Islands where travel is posible isn't to big to my understanding and there are a vew extrem fast flying ships beside a loot of not so fast ones.

I expect the trip from one side to the other of all that is reachable to be no more then 2 days of flight with one of the extrem fast ships (Red Ship).

Mikka;

Great questions!

A) Entry is by application, but anyone can apply. In very special cases (due to talent or intelligence) non-Elumians and non-humans will be admitted. Bribes can and do change these circumstances (usually magical artifacts, not money, though), and personal relationships and degrees of nobility can affect the outcome, too. :)

B) The Academagia is 'free', but many expenses are borne by the Student, or the Student's family, including boarding. Wands are provided by the Student. In cases of extreme poverty, where the Student is very worthy, the Regents will offer a full or partial scholarship. It's assumed in Year 1 that certain Backgrounds automatically provide for this.

C) Admission to the Colleges is at the discretion of the Regents, and each of them takes whichever factors are most important to them into account. This can leave some Students without a College- in such cases, the Legate will decide, usually based on the Student's original choice. All combinations are possible, if not always desirable from the point of view of the Regent. :)

D) Usually mail is unenchanted and is sent normally, but Students can do most anything they like to their letters, provided it poses no risk to themselves, the recipient or the carrier. The carriers can be anyone the Student chooses: merchants, trusted travelers or a bonded courier, and the rates are negotiable. If you don't mind extra time, you can send the letter with the priests of Iasos, who carry letters free of charge as a kind of sacred duty. The overall time for a letter to be delivered depends on the season and where in Elumia the message is going. It can range between weeks and months. In cases of emergency, magics can be used -usually vocal and visual glamours or incantations- to contact someone immediately.

E) Gates and Mastery knowledge are punishable by death, with a few exceptions. It's nearly impossible to get an accidental knowledge of these kinds of magics, as they must be studied, and cannot be the result of casual contact. That said, one or two Skill Levels would be considered as casual contact and would earn you a Reprimand. Actually *casting* these Spells is much more serious, and generally won't be overlooked. Sometimes cloistering or expulsion are allowed, especially where the family is important enough, but the laws are generally applied strictly in these cases. Assuming you are caught, of course...

F) In actual fact, upperclassmen are everywhere, and they can even be in your Classes. In some Colleges, they may even be room-mates with you. When we come to implementing them, which won't be for a good while, they will appear with a startling suddenness, I am afraid. :)

G) No, that particular place is not known, except to particularly far-ranging travelers. You can compare reasonably the amount of knowledge known about the east to the amount Europeans had during the Renaissance. Additionally, this knowledge is alloyed by the dread of (and righteous fury against) the Dragons, many of which still rule beyond Elumia's borders.

oO Now I am confused ^^ I thought ther is a limit how fare to each side someone can get bevore he never return (bether sayed his matter still returns in some kind of way)

C) Oh now I know why one special College still have some Male Students ^^

E) And it got Proven ^^. I think enough Fake viewer of your casting could bring one into big problems even not knowing this kind of magic.

If you were under suspicion for having used Gates or Mastery magic, there are Negation tests that can be used to determine if you cast such magic. Negation also can compel you to tell truths, although this is more rarely used.

It is known that there are limits in the cardinal directions, but it's not known where precisely they are. Explorers have, from time to time, set out on voyages of discovery, but only pieces of their ships have returned to the islands, via the wellsprings.

C) Admission to the Colleges is at the discretion of the Regents, and each of them takes whichever factors are most important to them into account. This can leave some Students without a College- in such cases, the Legate will decide, usually based on the Student's original choice. All combinations are possible, if not always desirable from the point of view of the Regent.

Somebody needs to explain how Philippe Marchant and Joana Lio y Rossollo were selected for a college which has as its motto 'Friendship is the Treasure'.

E) Gates and Mastery knowledge are punishable by death, with a few exceptions. It's nearly impossible to get an accidental knowledge of these kinds of magics, as they must be studied, and cannot be the result of casual contact. That said, one or two Skill Levels would be considered as casual contact and would earn you a Reprimand.

Huh, but it is really weird for Forbidden-fearing people like Kayley to "study" them... Wouldn't it be a better idea if a 1 or 2 in the theory skills are considered "outsider knowledge"?

If you were under suspicion for having used Gates or Mastery magic, there are Negation tests that can be used to determine if you cast such magic. Negation also can compel you to tell truths, although this is more rarely used.

Uh-oh. Time to Master somebody else to Master somebody else to Master somebody else to Master somebody else to Master somebody else to Master some familiars to Master somebody else.

Somebody needs to explain how Philippe Marchant and Joana Lio y Rossollo were selected for a college which has as its motto 'Friendship is the Treasure'.

I think the school might have been expecting Oliver Storey to take care of them two...

Thanks for all the answers. A ton to think about, there. :)

...It seems to be, though, that then Gates and Mastery should probably be unavailable for learning from actions/abilities that just give you random knowledge, though (Question, Joy of Life, Library of L) if it's impossible to learn them without deliberately seeking. To counter that, the Forbidden Archives of the Library of V (or an equivalent) should maybe be easier to find (if not study safely in) for those who want to gain the skills.

Here's a sort of random one. We know that islands drift... could, say, a small island sort of fly their way under an extreme large one and, if not having enough resources/magics for any real outsider to care over much about it save for in a general 'Oh, yeah, that place exists', could it end up well... stuck there for a while? In particular, I was thinking about a very tiny farm-based island that finds its way under one of the huge almost continent sized one and transforms itself in to a full island town (or even city) that after a few generations mostly breeds those of albino pigmentation that after a few centuries or so finds themselves back in the direct rays of the sun and does an "...oh, (insert swear word of choice here)" fit. Though that's more a rather bewildering adventure idea. To clarify: do islands ever roll under or on top of other islands?

And how severe can it be if two drifting islands hit each other? Isle-quakes, I'm sure, but have islands ever been destroyed by such an experience?

Is there any fencing or unarmed fighting/martial arts culture? Are either considered viable ways to settle disagreements between non-mages, such as being used for non-magicy duels? Is Rimball only played by Mages? Are there any other popular sports, paticularly for the non-magey croud?

How much trouble could the Starveling Cat (not to mention Starveling Kitty) cause in the Academagia before the Legate got it under control? ...Okay, now I'm just being silly.