Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

Whats the posible reason that my Background vanish as long Wealthy isn't selected instead of just go gray?

Could the reason for this my decision to put the Background in the same tab where the Academy: backgrounds are?

Btw. now the third try for final get my background working (this time I realised that to give out a location I have to set it to 1 oO)

• 2 weeks later...

OK, lately I've been reading a certain Let's Play thread and it's reminded me of something that I've wondered about, casting via tattooed phemes. I don't think the following questions have been asked or answered.

2. Obviously you need phemes some where on your body, but is a tattooed boundary around them necessary like on a palette, or is it the act of touching them that matters?

3. I'm aware of them appearing in only one Dev made Adventure and then only on one evil wizard. Are they as rare as this implies, or is it just that wizards in this setting tend to wear robes so it isn't apparent how common they are?

4. Despite the obvious advantages of being able to cast at least some spells when wandless, are there any potential drawbacks to having magical tattoos like this? If so, are they just practical (e.g. it makes them easier to detect by some magical spells) or just unpleasant in nature (e.g. the tattooed area hurts when used to cast a spell, or the creation requires something most find morally repugnant like the deaths of small cute creatures)?

5. On the subject of tattoo creation, what is the process involved in creation of these most intimate of magical artifacts? Are they just normal tattoos that can be done by any decent tattoo artist and then enchanted? Or must they be inscribed by the wizard him/herself to work?

Ex;

Bobbin Threadbare really has a gift. ;)

For your questions:

Obviously you need phemes some where on your body, but is a tattooed boundary around them necessary like on a palette, or is it the act of touching them that matters?

A boundary is necessary for it to interact with your Palette.

I'm aware of them appearing in only one Dev made Adventure and then only on one evil wizard. Are they as rare as this implies, or is it just that wizards in this setting tend to wear robes so it isn't apparent how common they are?

It's fairly rare, because of the skills needed to create these, their inflexibility regarding Palettes, and their natural warping over time. It's very useful, though, and most professional duelists will have them.

Despite the obvious advantages of being able to cast at least some spells when wandless, are there any potential drawbacks to having magical tattoos like this? If so, are they just practical (e.g. it makes them easier to detect by some magical spells) or just unpleasant in nature (e.g. the tattooed area hurts when used to cast a spell, or the creation requires something most find morally repugnant like the deaths of small cute creatures)?

The most significant drawback is their warping over time. Eventually, they can cause problems if they are too imprecise. Depending on which Pheme you have tattooed, those consequences could be very grim indeed.

You can, by the way, cast Spells without a Wand- it's just much, much easier (and involves a bit of preparation.)

On the subject of tattoo creation, what is the process involved in creation of these most intimate of magical artifacts? Are they just normal tattoos that can be done by any decent tattoo artist and then enchanted? Or must they be inscribed by the wizard him/herself to work?

They are made from an enchanted substance- what that is depends on the Pheme in question. They are often painful in their creation as Phemes are multi-dimensional, and this sometimes results in the need to tattoo 'through' a bone or organ. Heavily tattooed mages may require constant magical healing, in fact. Any mage of sufficient skill can draw one of these tattoos; you would need to be extremely skilled to remove one, however.

My school project is finally complete and I'm back here!

More questions before continue my little story!

But first. Tattoo THROUGH your bones or organs? Yeurgh! doesn't even begin to describe it.

On the subject of Potion making

1) Are there shops in the city selling the ingredients? I think some students would rather practice some potion making in their room than risk getting caught in the er... labs.

2) I think the information is around here somewhere (tongue.gif) but are potion classes mandatory? What recipes will be taught?

3) How bad will it be if I were to put a, lack of a better word here, Farting potion in a professor's drink? Do you think he or she will give me more than detention?

On to other subjects.

1) How would one say French Fries? smile.gif Merilian Mash?

2) Music boxes. Will their existence be too much for the simple people of Elumia to comprehend?

3) Could you give me a general description of each dorm? Say Morvidus has packs of mice walking in the corridor along with birds cats lounging on the stairs.

4) Patrolling. What is it exactly? Does the regent let the students spend the night walking around and guarding the place?

5) Oncestrian is English right? Is it uncommon here? Then the most common language is Regnalian (right?) which was suppose to be what again?

And if Nyaa is reading this. How come your World of Academagia guide does not properly show which language corresponds to the real world language?ph34r.gif

Leoshi;

For your questions:

1) Are there shops in the city selling the ingredients? I think some students would rather practice some potion making in their room than risk getting caught in the er... labs.

Oh yes, definitely.

2) I think the information is around here somewhere () but are potion classes mandatory? What recipes will be taught?

No, and I am not sure. :)

3) How bad will it be if I were to put a, lack of a better word here, Farting potion in a professor's drink? Do you think he or she will give me more than detention?

That depends entirely on the Professor! :)

1) How would one say French Fries? Merilian Mash?

I am not sure that they have invented fries yet. Much to the benefit of everyone's waistline. ;)

2) Music boxes. Will their existence be too much for the simple people of Elumia to comprehend?

Definitely not!

3) Could you give me a general description of each dorm? Say Morvidus has packs of mice walking in the corridor along with birds cats lounging on the stairs.

Hahaha! I'll see what the Team says.

4) Patrolling. What is it exactly? Does the regent let the students spend the night walking around and guarding the place?

No, but it's a good idea anyway. ;)

5) Oncestrian is English right? Is it uncommon here? Then the most common language is Regnalian (right?) which was suppose to be what again?

Renaglian is Italian, or northern Italian. Oncestrian is pretty uncommon!

Legate;

So Potion classes not mandatory would mean you can sign up to help a Professor Leith to test his new concoctions?

On the fries, That doesn't mean so kids aren't already chunky. <I'm looking at you Eduard!>

Regardless, Thanks! Still waiting for a description of the dorms but thanks!

Leoshi;

Yep, I think so. :)

Edit: The Dorms:

"The Aranaz dorm is almost unnaturally quiet outside the Common Rooms, in no small part because all the kids suspect that von Rupprecht always has ways of listening in. The hallways are just a little too narrow for kids to travel comfortably in groups, but there are all sorts of corners and cul de sacs in which a kid might hide.

The Avila dorms have been discussed elsewhere. The girls live in multiple towers, with each tower meant to represent the heroism and grace of a specific queen or heroine. Professor Badcrumble frowns on decadence, so these towers aren't as ridiculously comfortable as Vernin's, but a visiting duchess could spend the night in one and feel right at home.

The Avila boys, however, have one tower, complete with goblins tunneling up through the basement. No matter what Badcrumble does to try to make the place liveable, secret enchantments, malicious ghosts or hostile pranksters ensure that noxious odors and leaking pipes persist.

The Durand dormitory is more pleasant than many, but security is tighter than many of the kids would like; there've been too many raids from Aranaz - and also from pirates with a grudge against Briardi. The furniture's solid, the lights are fairly bright, the windows are magically fortified and a bit blurry, and doors have a habit of closing and locking themselves if they aren't propped open.

Godina's rooms are, collectively, a madhouse. Games being played in the hallways, shoes hanging off chandeliers - lots of exuberance, not a lot of inspections.

Hedi dormitories change. Lots of Glamours floating around, leading to new decors (or the impression of same) every time anyone has a bright idea and the Phemes to pull it off. There are enchanted signals to ensure that everyone can always find their rooms, though.

Morvidus dorms are, as suggested, rather barn-like. Goats gnawing on chairs, owls gazing down from support beams, Marchant brothers prowling the halls. The place is in less danger of collapse than the Avila boys' dorm, but it's still taken a lot more wear than most of the other residential buildings on campus.

The Vernin tower system is, of course, the Academy's architectural crown jewels. Hundreds of years old but magically refreshed annually, the place is so damn opulent that only Catherine Chard really feels comfortable. Students with less affection for the affectations of wealth rebel in relatively subtle ways - Rixenda's artworks end up on the walls; Marc Sury arranges makeshift metalworking stations around the common room.

Given Rui's presence, you'd expect the place to be booby-trapped to the rafters, but he actually generally makes a point of not sabotaging his own living environment - though that may just be to lower everyone's defenses. :)"

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back! (Sorry, I've been busy... being lazy, no less!)

Wouldn't Aranaz's unatural quietness lead to more nosiness? In effect both eavesdropping and secretiveness reinforcing the other?

And also, the colors of the uniforms (and backgrounds) of the portraits of students makes me imagine that that color scheme finds its way into the living spaces of the colleges as well.

In regards to the colleges' secret societies, I would think that they find a different meeting place every time, lest they not be as "secret" as they might otherwise suggest. Have they been known to hold meetings in places other than the dorms, (say in a classroom that they shouldn't be in?) or are there just enough hiding places in the dorms that they can rotate through them quietly?

Oooooh, and Are there yearbooks? (year-scrolls?) Not just records saying so and so names were in such and such classes, but the more modern take on them and if they do, are they college- oriented, or academy-wide, with subsections for the colleges?)

Freespace;

Welcome back! For your questions:

Wouldn't Aranaz's unatural quietness lead to more nosiness? In effect both eavesdropping and secretiveness reinforcing the other?

You could say that. ;)

And also, the colors of the uniforms (and backgrounds) of the portraits of students makes me imagine that that color scheme finds its way into the living spaces of the colleges as well.

Less than you'd think, but yeah.

In regards to the colleges' secret societies, I would think that they find a different meeting place every time, lest they not be as "secret" as they might otherwise suggest. Have they been known to hold meetings in places other than the dorms, (say in a classroom that they shouldn't be in?) or are there just enough hiding places in the dorms that they can rotate through them quietly?

I imagine they are something of an open secret.

Oooooh, and Are there yearbooks? (year-scrolls?) Not just records saying so and so names were in such and such classes, but the more modern take on them and if they do, are they college- oriented, or academy-wide, with subsections for the colleges?)

Definitely, although they probably won't make an appearance until Year 5.