Black Chicken Studios Forums

A few in game questions

Adrian

hehe "So. Mr. Golem-who-lived-for-hundreds-of-years tell me of your life!" ... "I washed the floors, cleaned the living room, then made breakfast, served breakfast for the master then the mistress. They would have bread, eggs, tea and an assortment of fruit that are in season. Then I proceed to make their beds, clean the bedroom...."

I was thinking more... meh, the actual piller of magics. Used in the creatuion. But you are right, I should probably run through the adventure before I ask. Will have to be later today if I put my back into this essay. (Which I am certainly not doing currently ;))

As for Pillars, I would guess a combo of most of them, with Revision being the most important. We'd have to wait for the Legate to answer that with more detail.

Speaking of which, Legate, The game says that the Strength pheme is fouled by its association with Gates magic. Exactly how close is this association? Surely it, in itself is not proscribed? And while on the subject, exactly how will the game treat this "Grey area" of phemes previously associated with forbidden magics, and will we have a way to categorize (and thus separate) the forbidden magics so that we will not accidently use a forbidden pheme without realizing it?

And also, what would happen to a student known for casting spells with phemes "tainted by association yet still legal"?

Freespace;

Nothing would happen, apart from increased scrutiny. Unless a Pheme is strictly illegal, it's unlikely to result in a charge.

The Strength Pheme is often used as a component in stabilizing Gates.

The creation of true Golems requires Enchantment and Gates most often. You might use Revision to sculpt a body, but you could just as easily do that a mundane way- the Enchantment is really more of the key.

I think, Legate, the problem in the lack of detail here is the fact that since enchantment is not a pillar in itself, Adrian is wanting details of what pillars are used in the enchanting process.

What Freespace said ;)

I just need a bit of a general direction of magical pillars.

I got the clay, I got the butler's outfit, I got a group of somewhat decent potters (yes, it is child labour, rounded up from the nearest school) so, how do I proceed to animate my future slave?

Actually, are golems employed in factories? virtually free labour would be a huge benefit I should think, or are unions ruining this? :P

Hmm... I am suddenly reminded... Of the Original KOTOR. :)

While at the sith academy, the Player character has the option to call the teammates "just my slaves"

Since the rules at the academagia seem lax enough.. So long as you don't disrupt the intructors... If our player character gets a golem (as a familiar or whatever) it should say: "Just a simple Golem here, ma'am. Nothing to see. Move along." Bonus points because in this setting, it most certainly would do the opposite of the intended effect.

Do all clique members benefit from the clique abilities of all other clique members? That is, if I recruit a clique member whose ability gives +1 charm, does everyone in the clique get that bonus, or just me?

Related... the player has no clique ability, right?

EDIT: Another question. You get informed about an ability if you attempt to use it in an adventure or event and fail, right? What if you try and succeed? I sorely wanted to unlock Planning, and had the option to use it in an event -- but I used it successfully and was not informed of it.

Edited by Yglorba

Question. In the case where you visit some extended relatives/friends of the family, you have the option of either cleaning some candlesticks manually or via glammour.

Since we know that glammour is more about appearances, and further, that all magic is inherently temporary, (especially that of a Y1 student) I must ask as to the long term consequenses of using simple glammour in this circumstance.

If one does use glammour, how long will that last until the magic fades, and will it fade immediately, or subtly over time. I realize that in this era those without magic would use candles as a primary source of light, and thus they would be very dirty. Even if they looked clean after glammour, I doubt that your family would be happy if the day after you left those candles looked completely uncleaned.... :)

Well that's good to know. :)

I was thinking that you could do a running gag with them every year. Oh, the glammour didn't work in Y1? Well let's try some fancy enchantments in Y2 so they repel dirt. Oh, in Y3 they turned green because of that? etc. etc. ;)

Speaking of duration, what governs duration of a spell? For some adventures it seems that they are pre-set durations, and in others it seems that you must constantly concentrate to keep them active.. Could we get an elaboration on this? :)

Actually, that idea about the candlesticks is pretty brilliant, I remember thinking that I 'had to eat that dinner quickly and get home before the spel-- ergh school misses me. Yeah. Thats it. Thanks for dinner and best of luck! bye!' so having to hear for a poor spell (even if they just found it amusing) would be great.

I really do like the idea of a running gag. Maybe each year you try some new magic that you learned in your most recent class, and the "correct" results and additions only last as long as you're there. Each year the unintended side effects grow. I could imagine the results of Y4, the candlesticks would be the correct color, would burn forever, and look beautiful without any tarnish, but when you lit one it would shine like a thousand suns... So they were never used again.... :) Cue the repair attempt in Y5.

From what I can tell, a first year in the Academagia (or at least my magic-centric one) seems to be capable of feats that wouldn't seem too out of place as a mid to high level character in other RPGs. I suspect that when Y5 comes out Academagia magic system will have become THE standard. I feel this because when playing Neverwinter Nights again my sorcerer character never used summoning spells... I kept thinking "Gates". :)

Ah 103 pages of questions on the world of Academagia. I miss you so much.

Adrian I would expect an entire wing dedicated to heal injured students. Imagine the number of students with minor injuries plus everyone with serious magical and/or physical injuries. And a lab large enough to make potions everyday and also the hidden autopsy area. smile.gif

Now for questions!

1) Arch-mages. Yes? No? Maybe?

2) How do the people of Mineta feel about the fae?

3) What is the equivalent of the Seven Seas here?

And most importantly, why is freespace2dotcom called freespace instead of freespace2?

Leoshi and Adrian;

There is actually more than one Infirmary, but the one in the Main Academagia Tower is on the first floor. It does not have windows, but it does have enchanted walls, so that you can 'be' virtually anywhere that makes you feel comfortable.

Arch-mages are around, yes. It's an old formal title in the Empire of Man.

As with almost all people, Minetans dislike the fae. They play a lot of tricks. :)

There is no specific equivalent to the Seven Seas; geographically the peoples of Elumia tend to orient themselves around island chains, describing the gulfs between isles. They would not understand large bodies of water or air in the same sense sailors of Europe did.

Schwarzbart;

It's no longer possible to get the Archmage title, unless you inherit it, or the Captain bestows it (politically dangerous.) The Title required authority from the Emperor, and has a set of rights and responsibilities.

Will you be able to surpass a Professor's magic by Year 5? I imagine that if you studied and worked very hard, it would be possible to surpass the slackers. :)

None of the current Professors have an Archmage title. Well, that's publicly known. :)

concerning the infirmary rooms, and their glamour/enchanted (I assume) rooms, do they work passive, or do the patient have to be involved? do the staff? Will the room change if more people entered the room and make a kind of shared place of peace?

It is a pretty cool idea. A bit frightening though, I think, if you got knocked out in a duel, sent to the infirmary and woke up surrounded by a clouds and sky while still in your bed. :P