Black Chicken Studios Forums

Patch 19

mystral

I've just started a new game using patch 19. It seems you've changed the behavior of the compete action to no longer give 3 merit if the roll fails.

The problem is, the other student are still using it, even though it doesn't do anything for them any longer. They're just wasting their time until they have a good enough rank in the compete parent skill.

So either the change to compete was unintended, or you forgot to change the AI's priority toward it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gunslinger;

It's a content fix- it's not something that can be corrected in a code Patch.

If you all would like a temporary content Patch, it's easy enough to prepare one- let me know. :P

Legate,

I think it would be really useful to have a hotfix - while it's interesting to see lower merit scores across the board, the main issue is seemingly wasted AI actions at this point. Thanks!

Gunslinger;

Sure- although, those actions aren't entirely wasted- they will eventually cease to use them, as failures grow, and instead focus their energies in either Training or doing something else.

The Students will cease to use Compete over time (until they Train well), and the net effect is a much slower Merit increase with much more Player effect- of interest to at least some of you...:P

And here's what the Content Team wrote, verbatim:

"Gol darn it! Up to six points of Merit in one go? When I was in school, you had to eat an entire poisonous frog in one swallow and chase it down with a fistful of broken glass just to get one point! ONE! And we were grateful, dammit, `cause we had character!

Change made. ;)"

...we'll put up a Content Patch for this tomorrow. :)

Gunslinger;

Sure- although, those actions aren't entirely wasted- they will eventually cease to use them, as failures grow, and instead focus their energies in either Training or doing something else.

The Students will cease to use Compete over time (until they Train well), and the net effect is a much slower Merit increase with much more Player effect- of interest to at least some of you...;)

The other problem with compete as it is now is that you haven't changed the reward scale for it.

Meaning players are unlikely to ever get anything worthwhile from it. Except the satisfaction of having their college be the greatest, maybe.

Speaking of which, will which college won the merit race have an effect in later years?

Gunslinger;

The Students will cease to use Compete over time (until they Train well), and the net effect is a much slower Merit increase with much more Player effect- of interest to at least some of you...;)

Interesting. I'd almost prefer they trained something else instead of competing all the time (grrr...Vernin & Mordivus). Personally, I'd like to see greater merit rewards from adventures & random events, and less from students competing everyday for merit.

I might try playing around a little with and without the hotfix to see which dynamic I like better.

Besides the compete problem I noticed a problem with Emilia's Gift. It is not giving Befriend parent skill +2 bonus again, altho this appeared to be fixed with patch 18, it's back with patch 19.

The bonus is working for me on patch 19.

...and I'm actually starting to enjoy the fact that merit scores are so low across the board. ;)

Archived