Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cheat Mod

genz44

Retired Deer;

What Schwarzbart says might be the case- you might want to try deleting your DLC, and then replacing it with the one from the Patch. Otherwise, assuming that you are loading Z's mod first, they should be entirely compatible. Z's changes will overwrite any further changes done by us, of course, so you may see older versions of things, depending, but...

Legate,

I cleared out my mod file, even wiping the hidden GCC file manually, fully patched with Patch 33 w/ DLC 7. This seems to have taken care of the cheat background appearance when none are selected. However, the content of one is always missing, regardless of load order (if cheats on top, then no DLC, and vice versa). I do remember seeing an "Update" folder appear after the patch was installed, but it disappears after I open the game (before any file is loaded). Is that supposed to happen?

Scwarzbart,

Is it necessary to delete all files that the patch replaced in the Official Content?

Retired Deer;

Yes, the Update folder will be removed.

For UAC, I often suggest that all files and folder which correspond to the ones in the Patch be moved, but it shouldn't strictly be necessary in this case. You could try it, though!

Out of curiosity, did you previously modify your game via an AMO publish method, rather than a regular (but more time consuming) mod method? If so, your official content has changed, and that would go a long way to explain the problem. In that case, you would need to reinstall.

Let me know if any of these things help!

Unfortunately, marriage planning and some sort of intense cold have been keeping me away for a while now. I'll happily share any of my design info to help anyone here get use of my mod. Let me get up to speed so we can narrow down these issues for a good solution.

During DLC 5 I made the decision to include bug fixes for any issues that could be fixed from within the tools. These were meant to be temporary until official fixes were released with the next DLC. That way, I'd hoped, people could play the game without worrying much and BCS would receive fewer repeat bug complaints. When DLC 6 was released I removed all of my bug fixes since the official content now took care of them all anyway. The plan then was to have two separate entities of my mod. One would contain all cheat info and the other would contain new bug fixes for the new DLC. With the merge function's lengthy time requirement and my shrinking free time I decided to scrap that plan. Currently, my mod's cheat functions are all effects which were created from scratch. None were made by changing any existing content. Only one group of entries found in original content were edited by me. The disabled spells and wands sections in the creation process couldn't be brought back using the tools, so I edited the types of the disabled backgrounds. Now the previously hidden spell and wand backgrounds appear in functional background sections.

With that info in mind I can't think of any parts of my mod which might conflict with official content unless the disabled backgrounds are restored.

I cleared out my mod file, even wiping the hidden GCC file manually, fully patched with Patch 33 w/ DLC 7. This seems to have taken care of the cheat background appearance when none are selected. However, the content of one is always missing, regardless of load order (if cheats on top, then no DLC, and vice versa).

I've experienced this problem as well. With a clean install and current patch/DLC I can load one or the other but not both. My example is somewhat different from retired_deer, however. This example assumes one version of my mod and the DLC are in the mod list and both are checked. If my mod is on the top of the list nothing of it shows up in the game. If the current DLC is on the top only my mod with whatever DLC it was created in shows up. It seems like the mod loader only wants to include content from the last mod loaded. Is it possible there's a bug in the loading process which prevents multiple mods from combining and implementing within the game?

I figured something out. At some point there is incompatibility between the patches (not the DLC, per se) and the mods. I did a reinstall and was able to put both the cheat mod and DLC 7 in the mod folder without updating the rest of the files in the directory. This was prior to a scroll button being added to adjust the location of the mod on the mod screen. As a result, I had to run the mods in this order: Cheat Mod on top, DLC below. Both the DLC's backgrounds and the Mod's backgrounds appeared when both were checked and loaded. Using v1.0, I saw that the Update folder didn't disappear. This might have something to do with the problem (what is in the folder, I mean, not its lack of disappearing).

To make sure this was the case, I updated the directory files, moving the default files, as Legate suggested. This effectively updated to patch 33, replacing the update folder with the hidden GCC file once the program is started. This time I loaded the files in the same order as before: Mod on top, DLC below. It failed (only DLC), so I reversed it and only got the Cheats. Same with just the DLC and just the Mod, as stated in an earlier post and echoed by Zelefis.

I will try to carry out further tests with earlier patches and see if I can isolate the patch where it stops working.

Apparently all the links to previous patches are down. I cannot access them to perform the tests. If you guys have the patches going back to the DLC 5 release, you could probably see if keeping the Mod file the same while changing the directory files has any effect. Barring none, mess with the update files in each of the patches, but keep the latest content (DLC 7) as your control file to observe when the vegetarian and cheating backgrounds are no longer present together. Personally, I think Zelefis probably has a lead with the loading order bug, perhaps when the scroll buttons were added or updated.

Thought I'd let you guys know that I found a work around, but am unsure of the extent of in-game effects as of yet. Apparently if you do a fresh install and patch all files EXCEPT Storage.dll, you can get the mod and the DLC to work together, but the Mod must be above the DLC, not below, and both selected. Oddly, though, backgrounds of 0 or negative points appear twice. Doesn't seem to affect gameplay, though. Everything has worked so far, with DLC 7 content, including skills, cheats, events, and shops. Adventures are a mess, though. Huzzah for jury-rigging games!

What is the Storage.dll supposed to do?

Something about this thread make me kept forgetting important things I plan to post and suggest that I might or might not already did, which I blame and accuse Legate for casting a forgetful spell on us so we won't unveil the secret of mod tool.

:lol: Zelefis! I thought you got eaten by Nyaa or something.

Summon me with gate and I will spit him out of my stomach...hmmm...cream pudding....hmmmmmmm....

You're welcome, Zelefis. It's a problem that has been bugging me for a while. I passed my Observation + Intelligence vs 20 roll for the week! Too bad I'm not a programmer or I would read through the support file to find the problem. But at least you can play with random events and all skills now. If you feel like torturing yourself, you can also look up the first names of adventures in the Modbase... but I'll wait for the patch.

CremePudding! Looks like I did get eaten. :( Btw, I really like your avatar.

I drew it myself xD

You're welcome, Zelefis. It's a problem that has been bugging me for a while. I passed my Observation + Intelligence vs 20 roll for the week! Too bad I'm not a programmer or I would read through the support file to find the problem. But at least you can play with random events and all skills now. If you feel like torturing yourself, you can also look up the first names of adventures in the Modbase... but I'll wait for the patch.

Good idea. By the time a new patch is released we might not even have found the problem yet =_=;

Sometimes I also manage to make Red rolls in Adventures in a unmoded game because of some Chance of success (like you get from some background)

I managed to do it with Purple once :P

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is going to sound greedy, but it it possible to get a multiple adventures cheat? (I vaguely recall creating my own cheat mod once with multiple adventures, but I cannot find it, and I had found it unsatisfactory due to the lack of options:cheating for adventures, cheating for events, a 6x study and a 6x sub-skill increaser both of which made things go up by 1 only because I was scared of breaking the game if I made things go up more then that, and no researcher since I didn't know research existed then. Also nothing to affect my familiar.) And possibly one with an event-forcer that forces you to experience an event?

For the record: Events are called by "Invoke" "Event: Random event" or "Invoke" "Adventure: Choice of adventure" "Target: Player"

Also, in theory it would only take about 45 min to upload the file in, say, starbucks or some internet cafe I think? << Is not sure

I know this is going to sound greedy, but it it possible to get a multiple adventures cheat?

Can't believe I missed suggesting this. I guess 2x, 3x, and 5x adventures would be the way to go and this shouldn't cause problem with adventures that would lock each other after completion in my head.

Looking through the modtools I discover that the research action doesn't accept values.

How did you manage to get it to perform 10 steps of research in one fell swoop?!

My guess would be that he didn't use the "research" option, but something else. Maybe "set" or "expand". If you create an effect and set it to "expand," you can find research skills listed under the parent list of skills at the very bottom. Should look like this, using Acrobatics as the subject of research:

[Expand]Expand Subject/Skill Step/Selection of Skill/Selection of Research Skill/Acrobatics (Skill)

Again, selection of research skill is at the bottom of the Skill Step skill selection list. Just scroll past all of the deleted and reserved skill spots.