Black Chicken Studios Forums

Celestial Battles

mecharm

I'm back! With more pop-cultural references!

Disclaimer: I haven't added any bonuses or penalties to the event, as the balance rests in The Team's hand.

Celestial Battles

It’s finally here. After many months of never ending torturous waiting, the moment has finally arrived. You are so excited that you can barely command your racing thoughts into order, and the brain numbing buzz inside your head muffles your senses. Never before you would have thought that...

- Are you even listening to what I said? – asks @randomfemalestudent with her face glowing red.

- I..er... – you say, masterfully steering the discourse – I’m very sorry. It’s just today is the day!

- The day for what?

- Celestial Battles, the new book of Dzeordzse Lukász is finally being released to the public! I have been waiting for this book for months! After reading all the teaser snippets in the papers, and reviews in The Clockwork Fiction magazine, I just knew this is going to the biggest hit ever! And what’s more th…

- It’s just a book – says @femalestudent – don’t be such a fanboy...

- You just don’t understand it... – you say passionately – it is more than just a b...

- Yeah, whatever – says @femalestudent walking away.

Your mind immediately wanders back to the fictional universe where giant steam powered star barges fight their never-ending celestial battles. Now you just need to get that book...but how?

Exit 1.

Skill: N/A

Even though every fiber of your being longs for that book, you’ll just have to wait until the time is right. Sneaking out of the school would be just one of the many obstacles; your main concern is knowing how buying the book would ruin your productivity and social life for a long time to come, which something you can’t afford now.

Exit 2.

Skill: Plot

What you need is a plan. Sneaking out of the school is one thing, but being able to continue your duty as a student, friend and child with the book in your hand is another. You need to create the perfect plan on how to maximize the time you can spend with the Clo-Fi epic, and still appear to be a living creature for the outsiders.

Success: After hours of toil your master plan is ready. By minimizing your exposure to other students, keeping to the empty corridors and acting very sick during classes you can devote enough time to the book, without unwanted interruptions. Sweeping the mental images of your shattered social life, you quickly grab your cloak and head for the book store.

You Gain: Celestial Battles Episode IV.

Failure: After hours of toil your master plan is ready. Unfortunately, it just won’t do. Even reducing your social life to the bare minimum won’t allow you to read every battle scene three times, or go back to the good parts. According to your calculations, it's just not possible that you will have enough time to read the battle against the spherical clockwork station five times, which is the highlight of the novel according to the reviewers. It seems you have to postpone getting the book for another time. At least you still have all those teaser snippets from the papers, to keep your mind busy.

You Gain: Celestial Battles teaser snippets

Exit 3.

Skill: Raid

The line in front of the store is going to be a battlefield. Young men without social life are coming from all around the world to Mineta, the only place where the book will exclusively be published for the first few weeks. You are going to need all your skills if you wish to succeed in getting a copy of the book.

Success: It took you hours, but you are ready. You have it all; spells, phemes, items, and a will to get what you deserve. You prepare for the worst, but expect the best. Sneaking out of the school was easy, but nothing could have prepared you for what is before the book store. The line of waiting people is like a river trying to break into the book store. The rest of the street is completely deserted, but littered with sleeping bags and tents around the store.

After the initial shock wears off, you take a deep breath and get ready to do your mission. You start scanning the crowd and after finding a suitable trench between the waiting people you begin your descend. Spells, phemes, and curses fly around your head as you slowly crawl your way to the shop. Bruised and burnt you finally arrive to the front, where Dzeordzse Lukász himself is signing his new book!

- And what happened to you young man? – he asks with a jolly smile, looking at your burnt clothes and the pheme residues on your hand.

- I...I... – you say, again proving your rhetorical superiority.

- I see. – and with the same jolly smile Dzsordzse throws his signature on a book and hands it to you.

You Gain: Signed Celestial Battles Episode IV.

Failure: It took you hours, but you are ready. You have it all; spells, phemes, items, and a will to get what you deserve. You prepare for the worst, but expect the best. Sneaking out of the school was easy, but nothing could have prepared you for what is before the book store. The line of waiting people is like a river trying to break into the book store. The rest of the street is completely deserted, but littered with sleeping bags and tents around the store.

After the initial shock wears off, you take a deep breath and get ready to do your mission. You start scanning the crowd and after finding a suitable trench between the waiting people you begin your descend. Spells, phemes, and curses fly around your head as you slowly crawl your way to the shop. Just before surfacing before the front door, you are hit by a giant spell which throws you off balance, and sends you flying out the crowd, back to the street. The spellslinger who threw the spell is looking at you menacingly. The magic is strong in that one; you decide it’s better to come back later, when you are stronger and can see the end of the line.

Items:

Celestial Battles Episode IV.

Your hands still shake a little when you hold this book. You have been waiting for months to get it, and now it’s finally yours in all its glory. You still haven’t finished it though, as reading such a thick book without breaking its spine is rather difficult, and damaging it in any way is out of question.

Celestial Battles teaser snippets

These bits and pieces were cut out from papers and magazines mentioning Dzeordzse Lukász’s upcoming novel; the clockwork fiction epic: Celestial Battles episode IV.: Newfound Prospects.

Some of the snippets also mention the upcoming sequels: The Imperium decides to launch a Counterattack, and Reappearance of the Jeda

Signed Celestial Battles Episode IV.

This signed copy of the popular novel, Celestial Battles Episode IV., is your most prized possession. The beautiful handwriting running through the first page will earn you pride and respect with the generations to come, and you will be a subject of envy. Unfortunately, you still haven’t read the book yet, as you only had enough money for this one book, and it’s too valuable to actually read.

Archived