Black Chicken Studios Forums

Attributes and Learning Skills

lightknight

It's no secret that higher attributes not only boost results, but allow one to learn subskills at a faster rate. Do we have access to a mechanic regarding this? I have heard it said that attribute levels of 6 confer the maximum bonus to skill learning rates... is this so? It seems as though the difference between learning a base attribute=1 subskill and a b.a.=2 subskill is quite pronounced, and that the difference between b.a. 2 and 3 is also considerable, but not as pronounced. Above this, it seems to be (reasonably) a case of diminishing returns.

Though I realize that not all subskills are as difficult to learn as others, there must be some kind of mathematical pattern at work here. What is the mechanic for determining the effect of attributes on skill learning rates?

You are correct the best possible result you can hope for is gained with 6 in the dominating attribute.

I believe that one of the members of the comunity made a complete mathematical model of the skill-aquireing rate but I can't seem to find it. The finished result was clear though: 6 in a given attribute provides the quickest way to master a given skill.

I'm not sure about the formula but I'm sure that the 'skill step constant' can be gleaned from the mod tools. :)

(Open the Mod Tools, click on the Skills tab, check out any sub-skill that you fancy and look somewhere at the bottom of the first tab of that skill. I forgot the term used there though.)

That's the train modifier number I plugged into 'a'. It seems to stand up when the related attribute is one, but higher seems to leave a slight variation. Adding the train modifier to the skill level makes the steps required too high or too low too soon., so I guess straight addition can be ruled out. Hmm, how about multiplying the modifier by the skill level and then subtracting the attribute?

Edit: Ah, thanks, Nyaa.

• 6 months later...

Nope. I don't believe there is a max- if it is, it's probably somewhere around 99/100.

When starting a game, though, yes, I think the max you can get with character creation is six. Once you start completing adventures and finding attribute boosts, you can up that pretty quickly.

Nope. I don't believe there is a max- if it is, it's probably somewhere around 99/100.

When starting a game, though, yes, I think the max you can get with character creation is six. Once you start completing adventures and finding attribute boosts, you can up that pretty quickly.

I've doing Run a Moderate Course to increase Fitness. It doesn't seem to want to raise past 5, even with save-scumming. Of course, it may just be the RNG hates me.

I've doing Run a Moderate Course to increase Fitness. It doesn't seem to want to raise past 5, even with save-scumming. Of course, it may just be the RNG hates me.

You can push Attributes with Research 10 Topics and at the last step of many adventures if you success there. I think I even got to 16 Insight once!

I personal hate this Abilitys that give you a small chance of a Attribute boost because i.e. Run a Light Course have a 1 in 20 chance and so if you whant to get this resoult you need to reload a lot.

Sometimes you get it in 2-3 reloads but at other times you didnt even get it after 50 reloads.

Try running crippling courses each time before you go to rest due to stress/vitality pile up (or pile down, for vit, I guess). Eventually, you'll probably get a Fitness point. Eventually. Probably.

It's really luck of the RNG. I had a character that basically had to rest each week due to Joana and bad background choices: he never got a Fitness raise, even though I must have ran a crippling course fourty or so times. On the other hand, i had one character get it the very first time she ran one. It really is completely random (and, yeah, frustrating). In truth, I've given up on abilities like that (and the dance course, and Brisbane's). If the character still needs dance or running, sure, she'll go to dance classes or run courses, but as soon as she's done, I stop trying. I'm better off researching to 10, and I never research.

I adventure, instead. ;) Most adventures that aren't continuous have a stat boost at the end (the few that don't generally offer Glory or a very nice item). That's the best way to gain attributes, imho. I usually can get Insight, Intelligence, and Charm (and depending on my stats, either Fitness or Luck) to at least 8 (Insight and Intelligence more like 12) by the year end, and that's before adding emotional cues, which usually give an extra Insight, Luck, and Charm (and sometimes Fitness).

Strength and Finesse are harder... hm.

Archived