Black Chicken Studios Forums

Similar Games

reckonersr

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Still eagerly awaiting year 2.

In the meantime I am surprised nobody mentioned:

http://www.hanakogames.com/llq.shtml - Long live the Queen.

Very Linear compared to the Academagia game but worth a playthrough or 3. I was bored on about my 4th runthrough, haven't finished it yet as I have been dying at various points but the skill system was reasonable :)

As for games like dwarf fortress, not sure if anyone mentioned Towns which is a reasonable game. 'A game of dwarves' is a very toned down version of DF from paradox which I got bored with very quickly, great if you like building things casually, poor otherwise if you are looking for challenge. The other paradox title they are working on is Impire which I have some interest in, as it supposedly leans towards Dungeon Keeper in it's implementation, but is not yet released.

There is also the minecraft http://millenaire.org/ mod and various others which offer a more RPG harvest the materials and give them to the village sort of implementation. If you poke around you'll find others to complement that such as invasions from a mod, so you can end up with guards (from various mods), a fortress you build around the village you are protecting. All in all quite fun for a while.

DF looks like its branching out in the way it links up the world map with the fortress in its development goals now, so we'll finally get to send out armies and such across the map :).

• 2 months later...

Someone mentioned a game called Arx Fatalis. apparently it about 10 years old.

I havn't tried it but apparently you could draw yout runes or as they are called in Academagia phemes with your mouse holding in your control key.

Supposedly a little but like Ultima underworld otherwise.

And a game called Avencast, haven't tried that either. Apparently it had something to do with a magic school or something. probably more like diablo with lots of dungeon crawling though.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

<geek>Ah, Hanako Games has a pre-order at last for Magical Diary: Horse Hall! *Purchase*</geek>

Nice suggestion, it's with a 40% discount for next 24 hours on Steam right now so i was lucky to stumble on this post today :)

So far it looks more interesting than their "Long Live The Queen". Kinda bad that they don't have a male main character option, but it guess it would have increased content by 50%. But it's kinda simplistic game, not like Academagia at all.

By the way, why Academagia still isn't on Steam?

Ellestar;

For Steam, we're currently investigating what it would take to revamp the UI closer to Y2 standards, so that it will be much easier for new people to play. I think all fans are united in saying that this may be important. :)

On topic, a fun and cute magical school game that I definitely recommend is Littlewitch Romanesque, the Steam version. Warning: the non-Steam version is *definitely* NSFW.

For Steam, we're currently investigating what it would take to revamp the UI closer to Y2 standards, so that it will be much easier for new people to play. I think all fans are united in saying that this may be important. :)

Not saying it won't be important, I'm sure it will be (whether it'll be worth it though...), but wouldn't that leave everyone who doesn't have the Steam version with a distinctly inferior copy?

Ellestar;

Yeah, UI is a big problem. But i thought you'll just migrate Y1 content into new Y2 engine. You use FirebirdSQL anyway, so it should be easy to switch engine between Y1 and Y2 database, as long as rule differences (like max skill lvl) are also stored in a database. And you plan to have 5 years of Academagia, what's the point to support 5 different engines? Y1 engine will be so outdated by the time Y5 comes...

IDK, i think most of your development cost is content, not the engine, so it makes sense to have one a little bit more complicated engine for all years, that will make content management and conversion between years easier too.

Upgrade how, "simply" replacing Academagia.exe and a host of other files?

I ask because, eh, there's people that bought Academagia on now-defunct websites, obviously. Totally not concerned about possibly having to choose between updated UI and class skipping bug, not at all :ph34r:.

Ellestar;

On topic, a fun and cute magical school game that I definitely recommend is Littlewitch Romanesque, the Steam version. Warning: the non-Steam version is *definitely* NSFW.

Wait the Steam version is censored? Won't that remove something the producers thought was important for the story?

Upgrade how, "simply" replacing Academagia.exe and a host of other files?

I ask because, eh, there's people that bought Academagia on now-defunct websites, obviously. Totally not concerned about possibly having to choose between updated UI and class skipping bug, not at all :ph34r:.

Sadly the same problem for me, even with the old Impulse store still kind of exist they wont publish any updates for this game.

I don't even remember where I bought my copy from. I have emailed reciets from all the other games I bought within the same time frame (mostly from Hanako) but not Academagia. I would have sworn it was from BMT, but I thought that about another game and found out months after I'd re-bought it that I'd gotten it on Desura.

I'm just gonna rebuy it on Steam once its out. The game has given me so much entertainment that I don't mind buying it a second time.

I also have the impulse copy, although my talking with the legate leaves me with confidence that the team is going to do their darnedest to make things all right in the end for all of us shafted by obsoleted online stores.

In any case, I'm pretty much done with Y1 until Y2 comes out, (which will give me some replay value to see how the story changes) though I will play one more game whenever DLC17 comes out. Buying a game a second time is a pet peeve of mine, although supporting BCS is a lot more noble than certain other game companies who shall not be named,,, Although should I absolutely have to in order to ensure continued access to Y1, I certainly wouldn't complain as I agree it would be worth it.

Sadly the same problem for me, even with the old Impulse store still kind of exist they wont publish any updates for this game.

They were bought by Gamestop. Try Gamestop client. I had all my Impulse games there.

P.S. Btw now i have a problem with Gamestop too - their gamestop.com just doesn't open from russian IP adressess after they opened russian store, but they didn't transfer my account to gamestop.ru either...

They were bought by Gamestop. Try Gamestop client. I had all my Impulse games there.

P.S. Btw now i have a problem with Gamestop too - their gamestop.com just doesn't open from russian IP adressess after they opened russian store, but they didn't transfer my account to gamestop.ru either...

That change nothing that Gamestop refuse to talk to BCS and removed all Indy games from the public store. Worst of it they also don't do any updates for them. Effectiv what was Impulse is now only a Steam key vendor.

I don't even remember where I bought my copy from. I have emailed reciets from all the other games I bought within the same time frame (mostly from Hanako) but not Academagia. I would have sworn it was from BMT, but I thought that about another game and found out months after I'd re-bought it that I'd gotten it on Desura.

I'm just gonna rebuy it on Steam once its out. The game has given me so much entertainment that I don't mind buying it a second time.

I can confirm that I also bought Academagia from BMT. I still have my receipt in my e-mail.

I also bought the game on beamdog so I don't think I will have much problem getting my Steam key. :D

Wait the Steam version is censored? Won't that remove something the producers thought was important for the story?

Steam doesn't allow sexual content in their store. I think the producers knew it before hand tough... .

No, that particular part of the conversation concerned Littlewitch Romanesque. I highly doubt Academagia will ever have problems of that nature, even come Y5, with possible exception of some things that are particularly badly phrased most likely by me.