Black Chicken Studios Forums

Similar Games

reckonersr

What's I'm hearing is:

These ruins were a fictional take on the portion of Seattle destroyed in the Great Seattle Fire of 1889, and while the mood captured the noir feel of Vampire the Masquerade, the exploration felt more like I was watching a new Dishonored game.

Inspiration from the game that every bad sequel/reboot to a decade+ old game copies.

Clans are joined later on. Instead, player start as a “thinblood” vampire. This limits their early powers to certain ability trees like the Chiropteran tree which allows for levitation or the Mentalism tree, which grants access to telekinesis. It affects how you might deal with exploration. If a door is blocked, you could use your mentalism abilities to remove the barricade. Or maybe you spec into the Nebulation tree, turn into mist, and sneak through an air vent.

A so-called VtM game that doesn't use the VtM ruleset even a little bit.

Guns exist but are treated as temporary opportunities; you grab them (perhaps even directly out of enemy hands thanks to your telekinesis powers) and use them until your ammo’s dried up and you can discard them.

Simplified/Action-fied combat with less depth than the game's (15-year old) predecessor.

Another system gives all NPCs a different aura called a “resonance,” viewable in a mode that emphasizes your heightened vampiric senses.

Utter lack of even basic on knowledge of the setting (or just plain ol' refusal to use it).

I'll give this one props for it's sensible and correctly spelled (if uninspired) title, but beyond that all I'm seeing is yet another "whatever is cool right now" game pretending to be the long awaited sequel to a decade+ old game in order to cash in on the hype and old player base. Prediction: This game will be everything the casual millennial who's never heard of a tabletop before wants out of a vampire RPG, but people expecting an actual VtM game will be sorely disappointed by the game's complete failure to even pretend at trying to be a part of the legacy that it advertised itself as living up to.

3 hours ago, isadorbg said:

Well I am not as pessimist as Metis altough I have some concerns. I'll follow the game closely.

I am gathering that the game will be using the new ruleset and setting changes set up by Whitewolf for the new edition of the tabletop. So it won't be similar to the original game especially since it seems that it would be first person for the most part. But like you, I will follow closely.

Edit: Yes it seems the idea of resonance is tied to thinblood mechanics in the 5th edition of the tabletop. I have no idea how joining a clan would work in this title.

Huh. I considered that possibility, though I wasn't aware of any different (or updated) rulesets for VtM other than Requiem, and it being called Vampire the Masquerade and all...huh. Still weary of it being overly simplified compared to the original Bloodlines, but yeah, I stand corrected on the other front.

Wow, I am surprised and happy that the Chinese games are well-liked here. As a Chinese, I really think these games - and some niche Japanese games who will never see a English translation - have international appeal. It's just sad that not many of the developers are acknowledging that and make proper English translations for those games.

At the moment I am working hard for my vision by fan-translating Tales of Wuxia. If anyone of you wanted to play again, look out for the mod in the near future. And no, I am not logging in here just to promote this. I just check here to see if there's any news for Academagia Y2 - at this point, my life goal is to outlive the entire Academagia series so I can have closure - and read around and see this.

Oh wait a second...the legendry Nyaa is a member here with 762 posts?! I must be blind to not see the legend when I was active here.

@Ascartand

I think joining the clan would more like "hey, you are not actually a thinblood, you are one of [the clan you choose], let me awaken your power, then through some whatever they do with your blood and such, KABLAM, you now have the power.

12 hours ago, goliath764 said:

This is more self-promotion from me. If anyone wants to see what's Scroll of Taiwu is about, I have started a let's play on rpgcodex just a few days ago. Feel free to read (and vote) if you are interested in the game.

Do you have a link to it?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have voted for my choice of romances in Magical Diary: Wolf Hall - Balthasar (because I am interested how another video game set at a magical boarding school would handle a mysterious student with a love of plants) and Corinna (because silent people are often interesting once they are convinced to speak).

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, goliath764 said:

Out of curiosity, is Magical Diary considered a very good game by visual novel standard?

Although the story is told in a Visual Novel style I personal wouldn't consider Magical Diary as Visual Novel because one/the main part of the game is the decision what classes and other action you take each week.  (Its long ago when I played it the last time so I no longer full remember the gameplay)

1 hour ago, Rhialto said:

Has anyone played the game Mittelborg: City of Mages? It seems thematically similar to Academagia, but is its story good and its gameplay interesting?

I didn't play / buy it so far but the last reviews at steam suggest that the team still have some way to go (random mess up the game and despite that each game feel nearly the same what for me sound really bad for a game that the developer say its a roguelike).

Edit: Also it looks like they mostly got positive reviews from people getting the game for free or who like the concept.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/956060/Mittelborg_City_of_Mages/

(I probably keep an eye on it but for sure won't buy it before it leave early access and given that they declared the early access release end of 2018 as alpha I think there is no final before 2020 probably even some more years later)

I learned about some interesting upcoming Academagia-esque games here; thanks to all for that. I'll be keeping a close eye on Mittelborg, for sure.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but Spire of Sorcery may also be a good one for Academagia fans. Its creator is a gaming savant and everything he's done has been very interesting. In Spire of Sorcery, you essentially play the headmaster of an illegal magic school in a world which hates and fears magic, and you have to balance your rise in power and teaching your students with remaining secret and exploring the world. Check it out: https://store.steampowered.com/app/637050/Spire_of_Sorcery/ It's taking quite a while to come out, but when it does, it will probably be great.

And for the love of the Legate, how about Golden Treasure: The Great Green? A new demo is out on Steam and everyone here should give it a try! Hand-painted choice-based game about magic and growing up and you get to be a DRAGON? Why has no one here tried it? The entire first part is free. Come on... give it a go! If you don't enjoy it, knowing the Academagia types, I'll be very surprised.

Get it here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1065100/Golden_Treasure_The_Great_Green/