Black Chicken Studios Forums

The restless Temple

Adrian

Adventure, in responce to the wand-adventures we spoke of some time ago.

This is an attempt at a "legendary" wand (staff in this case). I'll copy Schwarzbart's way of doing it and post a part in a new post so it is read easier.

(hell, I can hardly keep track of it in a word document)

I am leaving the rolls up to the gods, but I think that it should be in the difficult end, as the reward is kindda neat (I think).

The restless Temple

Part1

Prerequisites (may be a bit high, can be slacked upon, thought neither are "hard to get skillups in)

6 Explore

7 Patrol

You find a track, human boot-prints, leading into the forest by the Imperial Reserve. Now, this isn't uncommon, but over the past month you've seen this exact boot-print going in the same direction and it's been gnawing at you for a time.

The tracks have become more recent and you are sure that you are gaining, however you are also getting deeper and deeper into the Imperial Reserve, something that you are not perfectly comfortable with, especially as the guards almost caught sight of you as you climbed the wall.

You are about to head back when you see a shadow running towards you. It is a third year from your collage. He hangs around the common room from time to time but generally you don't see much of him.

He notices you and waves his hand. “Hey!” he says, somewhat out of breath. “Its amazing! I found it! I got to tell the others!”

“What did you find?” you ask, slightly taken aback.

“Those rocks.” he points in the direction her came from. He is right, there are indeed a bunch of rocks. Who'd have thought.

“They aren't real!” he exclaims, elated. “They hide a tunnel, that leads to a temple of some sort!”

“A temple?” you ask, curiosity getting the better of you.

“What?” he asks, his face suddenly void of the previous excitement. “What are you talking about?”

You wonder if this is a joke, but as far as you can tell the boy really doesn't remember a thing.

“You said something about a....”

Something in your mind seems to snap and you simply can't recall, only that there was something with those rocks.

Exit 1: You are so close – might as well try it, right? (no fail)

success: You pluck up your courage and head towards the stones that the youth just pointed to. You remember that at least.

“Coming?” you ask as you pass him. He looks torn for a moment but declines in the end. “Sorry, got a test tomorrow, and I... can't really remember...” he trails off. Whatever just happened may have affected him more than you.

No backing down now! You head over to the stones and cautiously give them a tap. Your hand goes right through the surface. It is just an illusion. You step through the veil and you see stairs leading down under ground.

No risk, no gain. You take one step and then the other. Boy it sure is dark down here!

+1 Curiosity

Leads to Part2

Exit 2: This is just too weird. Better head back.

Success: This is just too freaky. Never start an adventure on an empty stomach and wasn't that a rock in your shoe? Why the excuses are endless and when you start heading back you notice that the third year doesn't look too well either. Neither of you speak a word on the whole way back.

Part2:

The stairs down seemed to continue forever when you finally see a faint light at (what is hopefully) the end. The darkness seems even worse now, and you slightly worry that you will have to go up those stairs again at some point.

What seems a long while later you finally step into a huge cavern. The place is lit, almost like daylight, though you know that cannot be the case. You must be far far beneath the surface.

You take a moment to take it all in. Before you stands a temple, or something quite like it. Massive stone pillars keep the cavern from collapsing, the pathway is paved in a fashion much like the city of Mineta and there are even birds flying and singing, trees swaying in the wind and flowers blooming. This could have been a marvelous temple anywhere on the surface, but this isn't the surface. The tranquil feeling you might have felt with such a sight doesn't come, instead a feeling of dread seems to be creeping into your mind.

The temple looks a bit like a flat stepped pyramid, a single ramp leading all the way to the top.

You cast a glance towards the stairs and then back at the temple. You are slightly surprised as you see a ghost in front of you. It says something but it is difficult to understand, sounds menacing though!

Exit 1: Flee, honor does you no good dead.

Success: You flee. The stairs are exhausting but at least you are alive to feel it.

Exit 2: Strength/Courage you aren't afraid of ghosts!

Success: The ghost talks, moans and grunts a bit, utter gibberish, but who cares. After a while the ghost just stares at you. With what seems like a sigh he turns, grabs a book, reads something and then returns his attention to you.

He starts weaving a spell and you prepare to dodge whatever he throws at you. Your mind races to come up with a good retaliation. The spell seems do nothing though, until you hear it:

“Child, disturb us not, I beg you. If you must then learn the true tongue, elumian, and return.

+1Elumian

Failure: The ghost talks, moans and grunts a bit, utter gibberish, but who cares. After a while the ghost just stares at you. With what seems like a sigh he turns, grabs a book, reads something and then returns his attention to you.

He starts weaving a spell and you immediately bolt for the staircase. You may return at some point, but not right away, that is for sure!

+1 Stress

-1 Courage

Exit 3: Elumian, hey that sounds like old elumian. Try and strike up a conversation.

Success: His accent is a bit strong but if you strain your ears you are just able to make out some sense.

“Do not disturb us, I beg you. The Lady has not returned and our service must continue.”

“The lady?” You ask. “And what service? Can't you find rest?”

The ghost looks at you, it feels like his eyes are piercing you. “I am the lowest of low, but return here, if you must, and I shall awaken the caretaker.”

“Who are you then? At least”

“My name, my name was Alessefa, and my crime was great. I followed out of fear. Now go.”

+1 Elumian

+1 courage

Failure: His accent is a bit strong but you are sure it is elumian. You just don't understand a word. The ghost keeps talking for a bit until it notices that you don't really understand. It raises it's voice and without looking back you bolt for the staircase.

Investigate: Insight/Architecture Quickly, use the architecture to give you some clues, fast!

Success: The pillars carries carvings and you vaguely recognize some of them from a picture in one of the history books. That sort of carving was used almost following the defeat of the dragons.

With renewed reverence you look on the temple. To still stand, and be in such condition the magic here must be monumental.

The temple itself seems to be built in layers. The outer layer where you stand seems to be a garden, trees swaying and squirrels playing – despite there neither being wind nor enough food to support this amount of animal life.

The ghost must be speaking old elumian, or a dialect thereof. You feel that you might be better off understanding him now.

+1 Elumian

+1 Archiology

+2 Temp Elumian

Failure: You look at the pillars, the stones, the trees. They are all of magnificent craftsmanship. You try to trace this way of crafting, but you draw a blank. This doesn't really give you much.

There are some squirrels in the trees though, which is kind of cute!

-1 stress

-1 dedication

Part3:

Prerequisites:

Elumian 8

“So you return.”

You step off into the cavern, it looks exactly as you left it last time, only the ghost seems different. The ghost gave a small bow and backed off, a second ghost came down from the temple's lowest tier. This ghost had more shape that the previous. In truth, this ghost is huge. A giant of a man... ghost...

“I was called Bear in my life, and I am keeper of the lower tiers.” The ghost seems much unlike the other. This one is not in robes or simple clothing, but in heavy armor. In life he must have been a warrior.

“I am @Student's Name@, good to meet you” you reply, first in modern elumian and then quickly going back to the classic. You had almost forgotten that the ghost had been speaking in the old tongue.

Bear gives a nod and motions you to follow it. Together the two of you walk up an intricately carved ramp up onto the first tier of the temple. Several more such tiers are ahead but Bear stops you as you moved toward the second tier.

“You must prove yourself” he says, and you fear that he is about to challenge you. You are unsure if ghosts can do physical harm, but if ever a ghost could then it would be Bear. “You must know of this place, and your reply to my question should reflect this.”

“What question?” you ask, the tall frame of Bear seems to grow smaller, and before your eyes Bear underwent a transformation from old warrior to a lad your age.

“As a child I used for fight the other kids, it was fun.” The ghost ages quickly before your eyes, now a young man, clad in chainmail. “As a man I joined the fight against the great Wyrms of the East”

He looks at you, and you feel a sadness, as you are sure that this is a man who deeply regrets his choice in life. “As a leader” again the ghost changes, he now look much like the Bear whom you first met. “I sold my loyalty, and thus my crime is great.”

“You fought for the dragons?” you ask. Something about the ghost makes him seem more alive than dead. You could have sworn that if you reached out you would feel him, not just past through him like other ghosts. You keep your arms to yourself though.

“No, but I sold myself and others.” The eyes of the ghost focus on you. Blue eyes, though as you look on them they are only transparent, there is no color. “My question then is this; Should you swear eternal loyalty?”

You get the feeling that a simple yes-no answer won't suffice. Something in the air around you has gotten heavy and Bear looks far less the friendly guide than a demon ready to pounce.

Investigation 1: Charm/Explore See if you can't explore a bit first.

Success:

You ask if it would be alright to look around before you reply. Politely as you can.

“I allow you to stay here on the First Tier, you may leave if you wish, this is hardly a place for the living. I have all the time in the world”

You take a walk on the tier, which is mostly carved from white stone. If you had to venture a guess it would be marble. Though it seems impossible the stone seems to be glowing a soft white. Again you are surprised that there is so much light down here considering that you are far from the actual surface.

You look down to the ground of the cave, it is still overwhelmingly verdant. In contrast everything on this tier is made of stone. Statues, pillars, even a few benches. On every surface there are pictures, glyphs, phemes, stories engraved, even the floor will from time to time carry carvings.

“How did they make all this?” you ask aloud to yourself.

“Through me and my fellows. I gave my life to this, and the lives of many others. They became slaves, forced to work on this monument to pride. They would come to me, as their friend and leader, but my oath bound me to work them harder. They all died in the construction. The few that survived to see the finished work are now part of the garden.” Bear said, he too looking at the engravings. His ghostly hand following the surface.

"You have already met one of those who survived long enough to be bound here for eternety, all because of me."

Bear leaves you to walk around, but you soon find yourself returning. You might not be closer to an answer, but you will not forget what you have seen.

+10% Chance of Success

Failure: You ask if it would be alright to look around before you reply. Politely as you can.

“I allow you to stay here on the First Tier, you may leave if you wish, this is hardly a place for the living. I have all the time in the world”

The way he speaks sends a shiver down your spine. Your feet instinctively take you down a tier into the verdant garden. The life here seems to distract you more than anything though. You are none the wiser when you feel Bear's eyes watching you. With a last look at the beautiful place you head back to the first Tier.

+1 stress

Investigation 2: Intelligence/Duel Try to talk a bit first.

Success: You ask a few questions about Bear, and why he gave an oath of loyalty.

“I gave my oath” he said “Because it was asked of me, it was asked of us all.” The ghost shakes it's head, already Bear looks years younger.

“I gave a vow of eternal servitude to our Lady, in return I would be included in her plans and given a place of honor.”

A thought strikes you and you cannot help but look around. Perhaps this temple is more for the people who served than the one who was being served. You keep your thoughts to yourself though.

"I had no idea that the magics of that day would force me to serve, even in death."

“Magics?” you ask, living in a school partly dedicated to magic you might find a way to release these poor spirits.

“Yes” Bear says, the ghost growing older already. He continues to explain a bit of the magics involved, and how they affected him.

“It is a geas!” you exclaim as he finished speaking. “You submitted yourself to a geas?”

Bear doesn't reply, only nods.

You nod, you begin to understand a bit of the nature of this temple, perhaps the answer isn't far off either.

+1 Character Study

+5% Chance of success

Unlocks Exit 3

Failure: You ask a few questions about Bear, and why he gave an oath of loyalty.

“I gave my oath” he said “Because it was asked of me, it was asked of us all.” The ghost shakes it's head, already Bear looks years younger.

“I gave a vow of eternal servitude to our Lady, in return I would be included in her plans and given a place of honor.”

A thought strikes you and you cannot help but look around. Perhaps this temple is more for the people who served than the one who was being served. You keep your thoughts to yourself though.

I had no idea that the magics of that day would force me to serve, even in death.

“Magics?” you ask, living in a school partly dedicated to magic you might find a way to release these poor spirits.

“Yes” Bear says, the ghost growing older already. He continues to explain a bit of the magics involved, and how they affected him.

It is difficult to know what kind of magics was used on him exactly, and even worse you forgot to think of the question you were asked to answer!

+2 Stress

Exit 1: Charm/Befriend Is friendship a guide in this?

Success: “Should you swear eternal loyalty?” you ask, partly for your own benefit, but also to let Bear know that an answer is forthcoming.

You bite your lips lightly. You close your eyes, thinking hard on the friends and ideas of friendship. Can you bind yourself to another for an eternity? You see kind smiling faces behind your eyelids. The answer is clear.

“Yes” you state, confident. “You can swear eternal loyalty. You can spend a lifetime with a friend, mutually serving each other. Love should be a factor in such oaths though, not honor, glory or...” you feel yourself take a gamble, but one that can be seen from either side.

“power.” you finish, after a tense moment. The ghost doesn't seem offended that you disapprove of his choice, almost the contrary. “I think, your choice was wrong, but that such an oath can be made to hold”

“I see” Bear says, after a moment. “You truly believe that to be the case?”

You nod. “That is truth, as I see it.”

“You may return here, I shall inform the Librarian of your coming. The next two tiers will be open to you should you return.”

-2 Stress

+2 Conversation

+2 Listen

+2 Temperance

Failure: “Should you swear eternal loyalty?” you ask, partly for your own benefit, but also to let Bear know that an answer is forthcoming.

You bite your lips lightly. You close your eyes, thinking hard on the friends and ideas of friendship. Can you bind yourself to another for an eternity? You see kind smiling faces behind your eyelids.

Is that enough? You begin to wonder. Surely Bear, trapped as he is does not think that such oaths should be given. So the immediate answer is plain.

“No, such oaths should not be given” you say. Nervous.

“Why?” he asks. His features show nothing, if he agrees or disagrees you cannot tell.

“No two people are alike enough. You might swear loyalty to someone but he might be different than you think.” That was likely what happened to Bear, so it is a decent guess to the answer.

Bear shakes his head, looking saddened. “Your answer is unsatisfactory! You may return to me when you feel you know the answer. Now leave.”

+1 Strss

-1 Sleuthing

Exit 2: Famous Dilemmas Did you not talk about this once?

Success: You have discussed quite a lot during your stay at the Academagia, a few of these dilemmas also concern the idea of trust, faith, friendship, love and loyalty.

You think a bit and you can almost hear the brain working quickly to sort out the useful from the random banter that also happened in those discussion. You come to a conclusion though, and run it through a few times before daring to say it out loud.

“An oath should only be as binding as the reasons behind it”

“Why so?” Bear asks, not moving but seems to be hanging to your every word.

“You should only swear an oath to that which you yourself would support, nothing more. You choose to swear the oath, even when it was not your own, and now you regret it. Would you have still regretted it, had you made your own oath and offered it that day?”

Bear thinks for a moment, and finally nods. “You may be right. You may return here, I shall inform the Librarian of your coming. The next two tiers will be open to you, should you return.”

+1 Diction

+1 Famous Dilemmas

+2 First Priniples

Failure: You have discussed quite a lot during your stay at the Academagia, a few of these dilemmas also concern the idea of trust, faith, friendship, love and loyalty.

You think a bit and you can almost hear the brain working quickly to sort out the useful from the random banter that also happened in those discussion.

“Yes” you say finally, keenly aware that Bear would likely have expected a 'no'. “because geasa are needed for stability. When two wizards fight there is a geas involved, when a king needs to ward off treachery, then a geas is involved. The world needs those spells, even if they are unpleasant.

Bear doesn't look particularly convinced, though it is hard to say. “Would you submit yourself to a geas then, for stability? - There is enough power in this place to reinforce such a spell.”

Errgh.

You try to explain that you were speaking in broader terms, that a geas is needed is without question, but submitting yourself to something like that wasn't really part of the deal.

Bear seems to be looking through you but then finally shakes his head. “I am not convinced that you have truly thought this through. Go, and return when you have given it some thought.

-1 Diction

+1 Famous Dilemmas

+1 Stress

Exit 3: Insight/History (Should be unlocked), The history of geasa is something of a narrow study in a wide field, but might provide the answer.

Success: You know that geasa are used, in duels, but also several rulers and leaders had turned to geases to uphold their command. Was this what happened?

“The one you swore an oath to, was that a general who was fighting against the dragons? Or a king, queen?”

Bear seems to become younger, a young man. “She was nothing of the sort, she came from the north, of common stock. That was why she became so popular, she was just a girl who knew enough to aid in the battles. She was just another mage at first. Gifted true, but just one of us.”

Bear turns to the garden, his eyes drifting on a patch of flowers.

“The Librarian would be better to ask further on this.” he finally conclude.

“Tell me, do you have an answer?”

You stand next to him, sharing the view. “I think that you made a mistake by taking the oath and submitting yourself to a geas. Whether I would though?” you hesitate, giving it some thought.

“I might, I suppose. It would depend on the oath. Duels is one thing, but to a give a vow to a king on an ideal... That requires some soul searching.”

"I think you are right, but take your own answer to heart. You may return here, should you wish it. The next two tiers are open, and I shall inform the Librarian of you."

+2 Character Study

+1 The Exile

+1 Diction

Failure: You know that geasa are used, in duels, but also several rulers and leaders had turned to geases to uphold their command. Was this what happened?

“The one you swore an oath to, was that a general who was fighting against the dragons? Or a king, queen?”

Bear seems to become younger, a young man. “She was nothing of the sort, she came from the north, of common stock. That was why she became so popular, she was just a girl who knew enough to aid in the battles. She was just another mage at first. Gifted true, but just one of us.”

Bear turns to the garden, his eyes drifting on a patch of flowers.

“The Librarian would be better to ask further on this.” he finally conclude.

“Tell me, do you have an answer?”

You stand next to him, sharing the view. “I think that a spell that have been used so much through history is needed. But hearing your story...” you shake your head. “No, it is not worth it. I would not submit myself to an oath.”

He gives you a side glance. “I am sorry” he says, finally. “You took the wrong lesson to heart. Think on it, and return when you have your answer.”

+1 Character Study

-1 Famous Dilemmas

+1 Strss

Exit 4: Leave for now.

Schwarzbart,

Not so much crafting as stealing (in this case :P ) but yeah. I've been sitting on this baby for a while nervously twiching, your adventure gave me the kick I needed ;) .

The rewards are kinda strong, but considering that the requirements are pretty... thorough, it might balance it out. Ideas are of cause welcome!

Part4:

You have returned, your knees aching from the trip down the stairs but at least it keeps you fit.

The cave and temple is as you left it, very little has changed. You proceed after a small break up the temple and find Bear who leads you to the Librarian. This time you move into the building, huge shelves with thousands of books covers the walls, the only light it seems stems from the enchantment that covers the stone.

You are unsure what it is, but the sense of unease or dread that you were feeling previously has a much stronger hold here. It was only a nuisance previously but now it feels difficult to breathe.

The Librarian looks like a frail old twig of a man, even in death, a long beard and a pair of heavy glasses hanging on the bridge of his nose.

“Welcome to our little sanctuary” smiles the man and holds his hand out to you. Politely you move to shake it but your hand goes through. “ah, yes” he says, “often I forget that we died. Much easier to live in memories you see.” he laughs a bit to himself and you are sure that he is more than part senile.

“I will leave the two of you alone” Bear says, his presence seems to vanish and you are left alone with 'The Librarian'.

“What is your name?” you ask.

“My name is-” he gives a dry laugh and winks at you. “Trying to tricky me eh? My name WAS Fendrik, Fendrik the librarian to most, or just 'librarian'.”

You nod and offer your own name.

“Now! Do you know why you are here?” Frendrik looks quite excited, almost alive in his manner.

“Bear said you were the person I should speak to” you reply.

“I was not speaking of that. I was asking why you have come to this shrine.”

“Oh” you scratch the back of your neck. “I was curious, I suppose. This place is quite old, and a lot of magic seems to be at work.”

“Ah a seeker of knowledge!

Frendrik starts talking, like a never-ending waterfall he keeps going. While you might have fund the conversation with a man who died a few thousand years back it is the subject that nags at you.

Frendrik has begun speaking of his biggest subject, books. Famous authors, often asking if you have read any to which you don't even have time to answer to before he has returned to his speech.

After a few minutes of his monologue you are finally blessed with a pause, he looks to be trying to remember something and you see that you have a chance.

Change subject! - and do so quickly!

Exit1 : Charm/Conversation, ask to hear more of the person to whom the temple is dedicated to.

Success: “The temple?” He asks, slightly confused. “Why it was built for Eleni the Illusionist! Didn't I mention that?” He pauses tapping his chin. “Ah well, my memory is not all so good!”

You cough, bringing him back on track. “Right, well, she was a mage from some obscure place in the north, she knew some magic but not enough to be considered powerful, by any stretch of imagination.”

Frendrik walks over to a shelf picking out a single book while speaking of her early years in the army, fighting against dragons. “This was a sketch drawn of her” he presents you with what a master painter might call a sketch, to you it seemed almost hauntingly life-like.

“She was physically weak, her skin was transparent, you could really see all her blood veins and muscle.” You look at the painting again, indeed there was something off about her face, like the head was under a layer of transparent skin – you had first assumed it to be a scribble.

“Frighteningly intelligent though, she picked up almost every spell that was cast in those battles – and there were a lot!” Frendrik shakes his head. She began gathering her own group after people started to look to her for advice and safety.” He shakes his head. “She ended up rising against the other leaders who fought against the dragons. For her crime she was banished into another plane.”

“Maybe there is a place I should show you, come.”

You follow him as he leaves the room.

+1 Flawless timing

Continue to Part5

Failure: You try to strike up a conversation with the old man, asking a few questions about the shrine. It doesn't help though, He either stopped listening or he is hard of hearing. Soon he continues where he left off and an hour later you he is still talking and you feel numb inside.

“Maybe you should leave, you look tired.” he comments at some point and you are only too happy to agree with him. “Come back later!” he calls after you.

Hopefully much later!

-1 listen

+2 stress

Investigate1: Finesse/Calligraphy, temporarily stall him with question of calligraphy, perhaps et some pointers.

Success: You casually ask to see a few of the books he mentions, and he seems only too happy to show you.

“Marvelous penmanship” you comment. He heartily agrees and asks if it is a tradition that being kept today. You nod, pleased at the turn of the conversation.

“I practice calligraphy myself!” you announce, and the old man's face lights up.

He asks you to show him some of the strokes, and he is happily correcting and commenting on your style.

He begins packing the books away but he seems to have taken a liking to you. It might be easier to get what you want from him after all.

+1 Forms

+1 illustration

+ 10% Chance of Success

Failure: You casually ask to see a few of the books he mentions, and he seems only too happy to show you.

“Marvelous penmanship” you comment. He heartily agrees and asks if it is a tradition that being kept today. You nod, pleased at the turn of the conversation.

“I practice calligraphy myself!” you announce, and the old man's face lights up.

He asks you to show him some of the strokes, and he is nothing short of appalled. “You call this calligraphy?!” He sighs deeply. “Kids these days!”

-1 Forms

Exit2: Finesse/Interrogate find out what all this is about.

Success: You interrupt him before he ever has a chance to continue his endless lecture. “What is the deal with this place anyway?” you ask, making sure you sound a little bit annoyed.

“You mean the curse?” Frendrik asks, clutching a book to his chest.

“No I got the gist of that. You swore an oath right?”

The ghost nods. For but a moment he seems to be fading away but you slam your hand into the desk and he quickly rematerializes.

“So,” you continue. “Why haven't you found another place to haunt, or found some way to solve all this?”

Frendrik looks a bit uncomfortable as you ask but replies anyway. “You see, we were in Eleni's service, she was banished for trying to usurp some of the other generals armies. We, her sworn followers, found ourselves drawn to this place, and built her this temple.

“Maybe there is a place I should show you, come.”

You follow him as he leaves the room.

+1 Brute Strength

+1 Intimidation

Continue to Part5

Failure:You interrupt him before he ever has a chance to continue his endless lecture. “What is the deal with this place anyway?” you ask, making sure you sound a little bit annoyed.

“You mean the curse?” Frendrik asks, clutching a book to his chest.

“No I got the gist of that. You swore an oath right?”

The ghost nods but is quickly fading away. “Hey!” you yell but he has already disappeared. Darn ghost! You sigh, clearly you will need to return later. You have a feeling he will have forgotten you anyway.

-1 intimidation

I would kinda butt in and insert a good dose of Gates into this, but this seems to be a long adventure with a touching story, and I don't really know the backstory of this :P

I really love this though, it is a gazillion better than anything I can come up with.

(Time for me to revise my stuffs! Not magic, mind you.)

Please come with suggestions, I must admit I have not been paying much attention to the forbidden magics, so I may be missing something obvious. So feel free to write it, I may steal/alter a bit (or use it as inspiration at a later stage)

Actually I had considered a adventure for second year if you get the wand at the end ;) but... meh, gotta finish this first (and second year has to be released too..)

For her crime she was banished into another plane.

*wink*

Gates could summon extraplanar creatures and spirits, no? Perhaps you could partially bring Eleni back... if she's alive, that is. (Probably *very* difficult)

Or you might wound up summoning her snot and handkerchief :P

Mastery just doesn't fit the tone here much, unless King Kazus has something to do with Eleni.

It kinds of ruins the sad atmosphere if the ghosts can be ordered to pluck their hair out by Mastery :(

Part5:

You follow Frendrik into a tier above his library and once again into the main structure. What you see inside the otherwise neatly kept room shocks you. There are skeletons, and lots of them.

“This is what became of us” Frendrik says, his tone solemn. “Our lady managed, years after she was banished to another realm, to speak to us. Her command was simple, gather enough mages with an understanding of gates, to summon her back into our world.”

Frendrik turns to you, his face looks tormented. “We tried! How we tried! But eight mages had banished her and gathering another eight was impossible to do. It was clear to us that she was dying and likely half mad. How right we were...

“When she next contacted us again we told her of our failure, her command was clear. We were to die, and guard this place until the worlds end.”

He continues, and those words will likely haunt you for a time to come. “We died, just as she uttered the command, and even death could not free us.

“If we can be released, a clue should be here still”

Exit1: Finesse/Sleuthing search the area for clues.

Success: You start off by searching the out part of the room, nothing special. You draw a deep breath as you steel yourself for what you know must come. You have to search the corpses.

The bones are much smoother than you would have thought, there is hardly anything disturbed here which is, admittedly, kind of freaky. If the skeletons were picked so clean then you would have expected a number of animals or a lot of dirt of some form – but in this room there is neither.

Making a mental note of that you look around among the bones, and you find the beginning of a symbol carved into the floor. In the direct center there is a small hole, like someone fitted there once but was removed later. Strange.

You look at the skeletons, they all seem to be looking toward the center.

One thing is certain, something was removed here, and after everyone else had died.

You ask Frendrik, who has been silent the whole time, if he knows if something was removed from the center. He nods, seeming pleased that you surmised as far as you have.

“Only two of us were allowed to live, they moved the device, which fitted into the small hole in the center, further up - to the top of the temple I am guessing.

“Rest, and return to us. Be aware that failure, from here on, has dire consequences! The people that you will meet do not tolerate failure in any form.”

+1 Dedication

+1 Courage

Failure: You start off by searching the out part of the room, nothing special. You draw a deep breath as you steel yourself for what you know must come. You have to search the corpses.

The bones are much smoother than you would have thought, there is hardly anything disturbed here which is, admittedly, kind of freaky. If the skeletons were picked so clean then you would have expected a number of animals or a lot of dirt of some form – but in this room there is neither.

Making a mental note of that you look around among the bones, and you find the beginning of a symbol carved into the floor. In the direct center there is a small hole, like someone fitted there once.

You take a closer look at the depression but, let us be honest, it could be anything. Decide to take a peek at the skulls again. The mystery still bugs you.

“How come there is no flesh or clothing here? There is hardly even a speck of dust.”

Frendrik shrugs. “I cannot say for sure, there may be a form of spell at work, but... I cannot say for sure. I was only the librarian”

You take a seat on the floor and think for a while.

No, you aren't getting any further today it seems. Perhaps it will make more sense when you return.

+1 Courage

-1 Logic

+1 Stress

Exit2: insight/Geometric Laws something about the room speaks of geometry.

Success: You find a small piece of paper and the little pen that you keep around for just these situations. Working diligently you make a map of the room (a pretty awesome map if you had to say so yourself) and start marking the various pillars.

As you walk back and forth trying to take measurements you find some markings on the floor, near the skeletons. Curious.

You draw that in on your map as well.

Eurika! You recognize this symbol from your textbooks. It was meant to diminish the strain on whatever worked as a focus for a spell. The focus would have had to be placed in the center of the room to work.

You glance over the many dead near the center of the room. Gross! But there is little choice.

You begin searching for what might have worked as a focus for the spell, perhaps the communications spell that Eleni cast.

You shrug and head to the center, careful not to disturb the bones.

There is a small hole, circular and somewhat deep. If you had to guess the focus would have to be somewhat thin, and about as tall as a grownup. Maybe a staff of sorts.

You ask Frendrik, who has been silent the whole time, about a focus device. He nods, seeming pleased that you guessed at that.

“Only two of us were allowed to live, they moved the device further up, to the top of the temple I am guessing.”

“Rest, and return to us, you will need a clear mind. Be aware that failure, from here on, has dire consequences! The people that you will meet do not tolerate failure in any form.”

With that dire warning in mind you start heading home.

+2 Geometric laws

+1 Cartography

Inform Theory of Gates

Failure: You find a small piece of paper and the little pen that you keep around for just these situations. Working diligently you make a map of the room and start marking the various pillars.

As you walk back and forth trying to take messurements you find some markings on the floor, near the skeletons. Curious.

You draw that in on your map as well.

Now the finished map looks like some hyper-ultra-6-dimentional... errgh, you are fairly sure you have no idea how to even proceed if you figured out what exactly you had drawn on the piece of paper.

To make matters worse your hands has gotten all sweaty from the mental stress that the paper is now getting ruined.

Maybe you can continue some other time. Best go home and read up for now.

+1 Stress

+1 Cartography

-1 Geometric Laws

Exit3: Finesse/Art maybe the inscriptions on the walls give a clue.

Success: You look at the carvings on the wall. While very interesting you come across nothing noteworthy.

But wait, what is that...

You squint your eyes at a piece of wall that has been left more or less unfinished, almost intentionally. It looks... like the room you are standing in. After a few minutes your eyes have gotten tired but you think you got it. The room looks much like the picture, but with one thing missing: A focus device in the middle of the room.

You look at the middle of the room (trying hard to avoid all the skeletons on the ground), true enough there is a small hole in the ground, supposedly for some kind of focus. That may be it!

You ask Frendrik, who has been silent the whole time, about a focus device. He nods, seeming pleased that you guessed at that.

“Only two of us were allowed to live, they moved the device further up, to the top of the shrine I am guessing.”

“Rest, and return to us. Be aware that failure, from here on, has dire consequences! The people that you will meet do not tolerate failure in any form.”

With that dire warning in mind you start heading home.

+1 Art Appreciation

+1 Painting

Inform Theory of Gates

Failure: You look at the carvings on the wall. While very interesting you come across nothing noteworthy.

But wait, what is that...

You squint your eyes at a piece of wall that has been left more or less unfinished, almost intentionally. It looks... It looks...

Well, let us be honest, it looks like some of the free food they hand out down at the beggars corner.

Ugh.

You look around but nothing really springs to mind in the room.

You decide to leave for today, maybe it is better another day!

-2 Painting

+1 Stress

Investigate1: Insight/Prayer you cannot just leave so many corpses without sending up a prayer.

Success: Just as you begin praying you realize how much the world around you have truly been working against you. The gods seem to hold little sway here, but you steel yourself.

Several minutes pass, but finally you feel your heart lighten. A small light has been lit in the spiritual darkness that is this tomb.

+1 Dedication

+10% Success

Failure: Just as you begin praying you realize how much the world around you have truly been working against you. The gods seem to hold little sway here, but you steel yourself.

Several minutes pass, but nothing happens. The world seem as dark as it was when you started. Disheartened you continue your search for a clue.

+1 Stress

-1 Dedication.

Ah actually I thought of that, but I don't think that she is the type you would want to get back unless your (un)life depended on it. ;) As you might read in the lastest update.

I had considered a bit of what you say for the year 2 followup if we ever get that far though :)

Part6

You find yourself at the bottom of the staircase, in the cave with the temple and once again wish they would just have build the thing closer to the surface! Sheesh.

As you walk towards the temple through the verdant garden you see a lot more faces, many of them are not strong enough to take a full human shape, but you see the outline of them.

At first you fear that they wished to block you entrance, but they all keep their distance. This is kind of creepy. Even the animals have stopped to look at you now. Very creepy.

”You return.” Bear's voice seems overly loud in the otherwise quiet garden. ”Before we show you to those-that-lived there are things you must know.”

Bear shows you to a quiet place in the garden with a few chairs carved from stone. You both sit and it feels like it is a nice outing somewhere in the sun. Except there isn't really any sun, and there is a legion of ghost watching your every move.

”We wish to be freed” Bear finally admit at length. ”I wish the people in my service to be freed.”

He looks around, perhaps seeing the ghosts as they were in life.

”We cannot aid you, not directly.”

He must have seen your frown as he quickly adds to his statement. ”As long as it goes against our lady's wishes – she had a lot of wards put up to stop outsiders – you may feel them even now, and they only get worse as you approach the higher tiers.”

You nod, you certainly tire more easily up there.

”We cannot remove the effect, but we can lessen it. Without some protection, you will not last long at the top of the temple, even weakened as the wards are.”

You ask how exactly he intends to help them.

”We cannot aid you, we must not.” he says, strictly, but then he turns younger and his face softens some.

”When we were accepted into our lady's service, we were all given a wardstone, to allow us passage. Maybe you could ”find” one?”

With that he disappears, and with him so does the many ghosts who were watching you.

Exit1: Insight/Logic If there are still wardstones around, where would they be?

Success:”Where would you find a wardstone?” you ask aloud to yourself. Well likely they would have been with the bodies, but there was only bones – no wardstones. Hmm!

Maybe they had some living quarters, or supply stash somewhere!

Instead of running around like a lunatic you choose the obvious approach.

Ask for directions.

It doesn't take long before you find a ghost who is willing to talk to you, it might be the ghost you met the first time here, but it is hard to tell as this one is almost completely transparent.

After asking a bit you learn that there is a supply room carved into the cave-wall near the garden as well as a barracks near the top. You thank him(or her, really it is hard to be certain in these cases) and head for the supply room.

It doesn't take you five minutes to enter the room (though it was hidden well admittedly) and from there you begin your search. You quickly find a few things of note.

Some old pieces of armor that are simply too heavy (and not very pretty, honestly), a gem (which fits snugly in your pocket), and a single wardstone!

As you pick up the stone you see a new face who kindly asks you to follow him (or is it a her? - it maybe) to the higher tiers. Someone is expecting you.

Random gem

Wardstone of the Temple

Proceed to Part7

Failure: ”Where would you find a wardstone?” you ask aloud to yourself. Well likely they would have been with the bodies, but there was only bones – no wardstones. Hmm!

No problem! Everyone knows that such rooms are placed conveniently at the bottom. You spend a bit of time but finally you find the entrance to the inner part of the lowest tier. While not as impressive as the library or the other tiers, this place is HUGE(!). Well, nothing to it, better just get to work.

After well more than two hours of walking and opening and closing doors you admit defeat. It is simply not here. You will have to try another time.

+1 stress

Exit2: Fitness/Explore Look around for a wardstone.

Success: ”Where would you find a wardstone?” you ask aloud to yourself. Well likely they would have been with the bodies, but there was only bones – no wardstones. Hmm!

No problem! Everyone knows that such rooms are placed conveniently at the bottom.

You set off in good pace and search the area for anything and everything of note. Fortunately you come across what might have been a path at some point into the cave wall. You follow the path and it leads to a door. Inside does your prize lay, you are certain!

After a few minutes of rummaging through the the drawers you finally find a wardstone (and a gem, which is kind of neat!)

As you pick up the stone you see a new face who kindly asks you to follow him (or is it a her? - it maybe) to the higher tiers. Someone is expecting you.

Random gem

Wardstone of the Temple

Proceed to Part7

Failure: ”Where would you find a wardstone?” you ask aloud to yourself. Well likely they would have been with the bodies, but there was only bones – no wardstones. Hmm!

No problem! Everyone knows that such rooms are placed conveniently at the bottom. You spend a bit of time but finally you find the entrance to the inner part of the lowest tier. While not as impressive as the library or the other tiers, this place is HUGE(!). Well, nothing to it, better just get to work.

After well more than two hours of walking and opening and closing doors you admit defeat. It is simply not here. You will have to try another time.

+1 stress

Exit3: Luck/Pure Luck Take a stroll, you are bound to find something!

Success: Why rush these things?

You settle for a quiet walk in the garden, the birdsong and the calm (unnatural though it may be) calms you and you can't help feel a smile on your face.

Not far away you notice a tree with a birdsnest. Considering your luck you might just find something of interest inside it. That birdsnest does look awfully convinient!

You peek into the nest from another conviniently place chair and see not only a wardstone (and some bird-poop) but also a shiny jewel. Score!

-2 Stress

Random gem

Wardstone of the Temple

Proceed to Part7

Failure: You settle for a quiet walk in the garden, the birdsong and the calm (unnatural though it may be) calms you and you can't help feel a smile on your face.

After all only fools rush the inevitable. You KNOW that the gods will somehow turn the world in your favor and let you stumble over whatever is needed.

After hours of walk you realize the problem. Hybris! You assumed too much and was punished for it. A hard lesson learned (your feet positively ACHE) guess you will have to try it again some other time.

+1 Stress

-1 Vitality

Exit4: Finesse/Enchant Make a new wardstone (should be opened and difficult)

Success: Luckily Fendrik told you where he has his own little practice room for enchantments, he did say it might be a bit untouched but the room is clean - like everything else in the temple - not a spec of dust to be found.

Incidently nothing else is likely to be found either, as everything lays randomly around the room. It looks like a bomb blew up the drawers and the closets...

Ah well!

You look around a bit and actually manage to find a prepared wardstone. Fortunately for you that didn't need to start from scratch!

The enchantment spell isn't easy (by any strech of the imagination) but you are no child in this field! You have studied enchantment... well... almost a year!

That didn't sound quite as confidence-inducing as you would have liked but you go to work and follow the step-by-step guide you wrote down in the library.

Slowly but surely the enchantment take hold and you made your every own wardstone! You are slightly curious to see if it works, but that only adds to the excitement.

In addition you found some gems! Pretty neat all in all.

As you pick up your newly made stone to inspect your work closer you see a new face appear from nothing, who kindly asks you to follow him (or is it a her? - it? maybe..) to the higher tiers. Someone is expecting you.

2 Random gems

Wardstone of the Temple

Proceed to Part7

Failure:

Luckily Fendrik told you where he has his own little practice room for enchantments, he did say it might be a bit untouched but the room is clean - like everything else in the temple - not a spec of dust to be found.

Incidently nothing else is likely to be found either, as everything lays randomly around the room. It looks like a bomb blew up the drawers and the closets...

Ah well!

You look around a bit and actually manage to find a prepared wardstone. Fortunately for you that didn't need to start from scratch!

The enchantment spell isn't easy (by any strech of the imagination) but you are no child in this field! You have studied enchantment... well... almost a year!

Slightly disheartened you begin your work. The enchantment is quite complex and you are sure that the whole thing will blow up in your face sooner rather than later.

It doesn't, but you don't see any enchantment on the stone either.

You feel so fustrated that you leave the room. Only as you reach your room do you recall that you saw some precious gems as well... damn it all!

+3 Stress

Investigate1: Charm/Research Fendrik might know how those stones were made!

Success: You figure Fendrik might know how such stones were created, might as well ask.

When presented with the question Fendrik readily agrees to help you. He has no knowledge as such but he knows enough to show you the books and knows some enchantment to aid you in the process.

He finds a stack of books and just as the two of you begin reading he asks why you suddenly want to know.

"To help negate the wards" you reply truthfully, without a moments hesitation.

The book falls from Fendrik's hands and the librarian fades away to nothing. You are a bit worried, but surely he is alright. He is a ghost, they do that sort of stuff all the time!

After some time you are able to find the plans to make a new wardstone.

Opens Invesigate2

Opens Exit4

+1 Elumian

Failure:You figure Fendrik might know how such stones were created, might as well ask.

When presented with the question Fendrik readily agrees to help you. He has no knowledge as such but he knows enough to show you the books and knows some enchantment to aid you in the process.

He finds a stack of books and just as the two of you begin reading he asks why you suddenly want to know.

"To help negate the wards" you reply truthfully, without a moments hesitation.

The book falls from Fendrik's hands and the librarian fades away to nothing. You are a bit worried, but surely he is alright. He is a ghost, they do that sort of stuff all the time!

With Fendrik gone though you sit alone with a stack of books and as you begin reading you realize that you do know know how to actually regonize the spells you are looking for. Sigh!

Investigate2: Finesse/Orthography The stone itself requires some knowledge too it seems, as you research further.

Success: How difficult can it be to prepare a stone for enchantment of this kind?!

Very difficult, as a matter of fact, but knowledge of orthography helps you a great deal.

You are certain that you are ready to enchant whatever, whenever - as long as you can remember what you just learned...

Better act quickly!

+6 Temp Enchant

+3 Orthography

+2 Phemes

Failure: How difficult can it be to prepare a stone for enchantment of this kind?!

Very difficult, as a matter of fact. You don't understand a word this book is babbling about. Not a word!

In fustration you get up and leave the room. No more books!

+2 Stress

ITEM

Wardstone of the Temple

Hand

Durable (1)

+1 Max stress

+1 Max Vitality

+1 Negation

When held you feel just a bit safer and just a bit healthier. In addition to this, you are also protected from the wards in the temple dedicated to a long dead mage from the dragon wars.

I'm typing I'm typing! I am making some last minute modifications. If all my years of study has taught me anything, it is that writing last minute modifications is a bad idea - yet I am not deterred one bit! So there!

I'm typing I'm typing! I am making some last minute modifications. If all my years of study has taught me anything, it is that writing last minute modifications is a bad idea - yet I am not deterred one bit! So there!

@_@ Relax. The Black Chicken is not Nyaa :P

(The one who should be hurrying and panicking is me.)

Any task is done much quicker (though by no means better) with a paniced crew! I live my life in a kind of hazy-panic-y state. I can rush anything but it never turns out the way I want it.

Moral of the story, kids (assuming there are any such out there reading this), don't be like me! :angry:

(I have a lot of fun in the process though, so it is all good! :blush: )

Part7

You follow the ghost high into the pyramid, skipping several tiers.

In your hand you can feel the wardstone actually heating up as you approach the top.

The ghost stops by a door and motions you to enter. Slightly hesitant you open and walk in, the room is huge yet unfurnished. A shape seems to form out of nothing, not far ahead of you.

“My name is Zanni” a beautiful woman speaks. No, you correct yourself, beautiful doesn't do it justice. She is beyond that. How she must have looked in life...

“I welcome you to the second last tier of our shrine. I ask that you aid me finish our woes and finally let us rest. In return I will grant you an object of power. Atop this shrine rests the Staff of the Eye. That will be yours if you free us.”

“Staff of the Eye?”

“It was Lady Eleni's most treasured possession. When her familiar died she created that item that she might further benefit from the snake's presence. It is a snake wrapped around a staff of black onyx wood, the snake was once her familiar. The snake had an extra eye in it's forehead, it was the Lady that made that eye, and through it she was able to see the world through the snakes eyes.”

You nod. It sounds a bit freaky, but you want to help.

“My oath, the one that binds me here, concerns the staff. I must ensure it's safety – my vigil here has been a long one and I yearn for rest. I was the Lady's apprentice, but she had more in her council, namely a man named Cyril. He would see the staff destroyed, ending his own plight as he believes that it is the staffs power that keeps us trapped here.”

She paused for a moment, her eyebrows closing a bit together.

“While I may agree with him, I cannot disregard my oath, even in death. To fulfill my oath it is my conviction that he must be erased. I ask you to aid me in this. Find a way to end the life of a ghost and return here to do it!”

Without waiting for any reply the ghost dissolved, leaving you alone to trudge down again.

You heave a single sigh on your way down, it was a lot more anticlimactic than you had hoped for. It would have been easier had the ghosts had a clear way to end it and just needed a living to do it.

Halfway down you are approached by yet another ghost. This one looks odd. If this is a mirror of the man as he died then it must have been a strange yet horrible death. The man is clad in riches, but his eyes are bandaged and the ghost seem to be in pain, perhaps like it had been in life.

“You spoke to Zanni.” The ghost concludes. You wonder slightly how it was able to find you, but it might be an undead thing.

“Yes” you reply, trying not to sound surprised.

“My name is Cyril, and I would make you another offer. Rather than ending my life, I offer you another deal. This cave was a dragon's nest once upon a time. Eleni and the rest of us killed it as well as the unhatched young.

“That is what powers this shrine. The staff was able, over many many years, to drain those energies and use them to keep this place... alive. Were you to break the staff then those energies would be released and with the staff broken our servitude would end.”

Cyril seems to steel himself. “I understand that you were promised the staff for your aid, I promise to aid you. In life I dabbled in many arcane arts and I know many secrets. I can make you stronger and more clever with the energies when they are freed, and I will pass away just after I have done my work”

"Know, that as long as you do not act actively against Zanni she cannot harm you, but that does not mean she does not wish to."

This ghost too fades away leaving you alone to trudge home.

Exit1, Intelligence/Research raid the school library.

Success: You head to the library and find the section on ghosts. You keep yourself from a cry of anguish as you realize just how much has been gathered on those.

You look into the nearby register and find a list of potentially promising books.

You go through a few books before you bump into something. To exorcise a ghost you need to destroy or disrupt it's spirit anchor.

It doesn't take you a minute to realize that the anchor would be the staff, but from there it gets tricky. The book states that to ensure a fail proof exorcism the object has to be destroyed.

If you wanted to destroy it then incantation might work, or brute force...

Cyril also mentioned that the staff draws it's energies from the area around it. If you could disrupt the energies then maybe you could stop the ghosts as well, without damaging the staff itself. Negation might work best for that.

Failure: You head to the library and find the section on ghosts. You keep yourself from a cry of anguish as you realize just how much has been gathered on those.

You begin reading the spines of the book until you come across something promising. “How I defeated a legion of ghosts”.

You find a good chair and give it a read. It doesn't take you long to realize that this book is pure fiction, but it is so well written fiction that by the time you are done it is already late, and you got homework too!

+3 Stress

-1 Dedication

-1 Filing

Exit2: Charm/Patience Ask a teacher.

Success: You seek out @Random high relationship teacher@ and find @him/her@ correcting several assignments.

“Could I have a moment?” You ask.

“Of cause, I just need to finish this.”

You sigh. This may take a while.

As you finish the sixth chapter in a book you found on a nearby shelf, you hear the sweet words “You are still here? Well, alright, what do you want?”

You ask your question very subtle like, saying that a friend of yours has a old grandmother and need to get rid of her ghost as she haunts the toilet.

“Hmm, well... To exorcise a ghost you need to destroy or disrupt it's spirit anchor”

The teacher goes into a quite long explanation on how to find a spirit anchor and how such things work. But you've already gotten what you came for.

You thank the teacher and head towards the dorm, quietly going through your options.

If you wanted to destroy it then incantation might work, or brute force...

Cyril also mentioned that the staff draws it's energies from the area around it. If you could disrupt the energies then maybe you could stop the ghosts as well, without damaging the staff itself. Negation might work best for that.

Failure:

You seek out @Random high relationship teacher@ and find @him/her@ correcting several assignments.

“Could I have a moment?” You ask.

“Of cause, I just need to finish this.”

You sigh. This may take a while.

You wake up later in the evening, you have been brought outside the office and the door is locked. You hear your stomach growl. You got more important things to do just now than find another teacher.

+2 Stress

-2 Patience

-1 Concentration

A high Theory Of Gates would mean you probably already know how spirit anchors works :)

(But you can't kill a ghost, only return it to where it came from / needs to go)

If you have some certain location that informs Gates (Such as Icanyke's statue), you might be able to throw in a lip-reading exit, but that might be awfully troublesome...

Revision might also be handy here. You revise the smelly stick into a lump of chocolate or you revise your arm into uber-steel.

(I have never heard of enchantment that weaken stuff though.)

I am not sure I fully understand your lip-reading exit, but if you can make one I'll be happy to add it. These last parts have too few exits and honestly I am running dry of good exits just now ;)

I fully agree with the destroying ghosts, but Zanni (undead as she is) still thinks as she would when she was alive. She was never allowed to hurt Cyril in life as long as he did not violate the codes given to the them by Eleni. (As you will learn in the next part) I'm just slacking a bit (and eating! mmmm food) but hope to have it up a bit later.

Edit:

re Enchantment, as I understand it you can enchant items to a wide variety of effects, negation I think would be one of them. (though I may be wrong, if so I'll do some fancy editing) If you can make a local area that negates a certain type of spell effect then that would be the wardstone.

2nd Edit: actually, were you refering to the trick to 'negate the staff to draw less power' ploy? (just struck me, meh I am tired)

I am thinking that negation works a bit like a shield (in some cases) dispelling magical properties, my reasoning here is that by weakening the spells that the staff is maintaining you will in effect stop the drain of energy... May have to rethink it a bit, but fortunately it won't change the text too much

I'll try to look it up a bit later

Part8

Armed with more knowledge you finally approach the last step of tier of the stepped pyramid. Even with the wardstone the whole world seems to press down on you and it was a physical challenge even getting this far. Looking down you can fain see the other ghosts, all seem to be watching you and you are keenly aware of what they hope from you: a release.

As you step onto the final tier your eyes are drawn to the staff seeming to levitate just above a podium in the middle of the area.

The remaining area is cleared, save for various phemes carved into the floor. You don't recognize any of them but you can almost feel the potential in them, pressing on you, forcing you back, forcing you down. You take another step, and another.

Once again your eyes find the staff, as you get closer you can make out the delicate features. The staff seems to be of a black tree sort, almost to the point where light doesn't seem to reflect.

Upon the staff though is what is truly remarkable. The wood is carved such that a huge copra snake now seems to be strangling the staff, the head rising just a bit above the staffs height. The eyes of the snake have a purple gleam, almost like there was a light source deep within.

“And you arrive” Zanni says, with a shimmer she appears out of nowhere, Cyril not far behind.

“You have heard both sides and you must now choose. The fact that you are here shows your dedication” Cyril continues, making a show of moving away from Zanni.

“Choose” Zanni demands, seeming a bit impatient.

Investigate, Insight/Glamour something is off here!

Success: As long as you remain neutral neither of them can harm you, so you got plenty of time – in theory. You expect that the staff has already covered the world around you in illusion, and so you try to negate the effects.

It ends up being more difficult than you imagined, but it works. You are momentarily stunned that much of the grandure of the temple seems to have faded, but now you see the staff more clearly. It is less imposing now.

Temp. gains to Negation, Incatations, Brute Strength +4 to all.

Failure: As long as you remain neutral neither of them can harm you, so you got plenty of time – in theory. You expect that the staff has already covered the world around you in illusion, and so you try to negate the effects.

It ends up being more difficult than you imagined. So much so that despite your decent knowledge of illusions you are unable to break or even tweak the illusion of the place.

Both Zanni and Cyril look impatient, but at least there is no harm done.

Exit1, Finesse/Negation choose Zanni.

Success: “I stand by you, Zanni, I will attempt to diminish the energies that the staff can draw, when the staff can no longer sustain the drain that keeps this shrine going then he should be freed from his oath, and so will you.”

Zanni nods, a slight smile ruining the otherwise serene picture that she embodies. That is one wicked smile!

“You see Cyril? - your many years of planning and plotting will be for naught! The staff will be preserved, and with it so will our lady's legacy!”

Everything seemed to darken and you keenly feel the powers in play here. You are slightly unsure when and what just happened, but Cyril and Zanni is locked in combat it seems. Zanni shielding you just in time as Cyril cast something that surely could not have been good for your health.

The only way to stop this madness is to stop the flow of power. At least with the two of them fighting the strain should be even higher, so chances are that even if you cannot isolate the staff completely it will still be enough to make a chain reaction that will stop it all.

You begin weaving the spell, though keeping it stable isn't easy with all the stray spells flying about. However the spell is taking form, and soon the last pheme is etched and you release the spell.

For a moment nothing happens, and you are about to cast another when the lights suddenly begin to dim.

“I did it!” you cry, looking to the two combatants. They are still fighting, not botherng to give you any praise nor curse you and the next five generations... So, it isn't all bad.

With a hollow 'pop' everything seems to disappear. The lights, the ghosts, the birdsong the immense pressure that seemed to have been pressing down on you.

You conjure up your own light and look about. Everything looks ancient, rotten and crumbling. Nothing like what it was before. In the center lies the staff that was levitating but moments before.

You hear a large crack, not unlike when someone snaps a twig, but much louder. Much much louder.

Preservation instincts kick in, but not before you snatch up the staff and run towards the exit.

You are halfway up the staircase when the first tremor hits and almost throws you to the ground. A good thing you came out when you did!

As you leave the staircase behind you and sniff in the fresh air you look at your prize. A staff of such magnificence is rarely seen, certainly you haven't seen it's like before. Everything about it looks petrified, save for the eye in the copra's forehead, which seems to follow you.

You suppress a shudder as you head back to the school.

Staff of the Eye

Failure:“I stand by you, Zanni, I will attempt to diminish the energies that the staff can draw, when the staff can no longer sustain the drain that keeps this shrine going then he should be freed from his oath, and so will you.”

Zanni nods, a slight smile ruining the otherwise serene picture that she embodies. That is one wicked smile!

“You see Cyril? - your many years of planning and plotting will be for naught! The staff will be preserved, and with it so will our lady's legacy!”

Everything seemed to darken and you keenly feel the powers in play here. You are slightly unsure when and what just happened, but Cyril and Zanni is locked in combat it seems. Zanni shielding you just in time as Cyril cast something that surely could not have been good for your health.

The only way to stop this madness is to stop the flow of power. At least with the two of them fighting the strain should be even higher, so chances are that even if you cannot isolate the staff completely it will still be enough to make a chain reaction that will stop it all.

You begin weaving the spell, though keeping it stable isn't easy with all the stray spells flying about. However the spell is taking form, and soon the last pheme is etched and you release the spell.

For a moment nothing happens, and you are about to cast another when the lights dim.

“I did it!” you shout. The two combatants are still going strong though. You wait a bit, it shouldn't take long. But after a while it is clear that the spell didn't take hold, even the lights seem to be returning to normal.

“Fool!” Zanni cries as she deflects a spell from Cyril. Her gaze sends such a feeling of despair through you that you turn and run towards the exit. Even as you climb the staircase you can hear the violent spells being cast. You try not to think of the many eyes that followed you as you went past the legion of ghosts at the lowest tier.

A large crack resounds through the staircase and a tremor almost forces you to your knees. They are destroying the temple.

You are not sure if the staff will withstand that but you don't really care anymore. Best leave, and quickly!

+2 Stress

Adventure closes

Exit2, Incatantion choose Cyril

Success: “I stand with you Cyril. The staff can be destroyed, and thus everyone will be freed, even you Zanni.”

You hope that the idea will mellow her, and for a moment she seems calm as a cow on a meadow.

“You are a fool to think I would let you do such a thing.” she states calmly, too calmly for comfort really. “You may have recruited a helper, but the move has cost you the lady's peace! I am finally allowed to slay you!”

With that a hail of magic starts. Cyril thankfully shields you but he cannot withstand the onslaught for long. “Hurry” he gasps, as he dives away from a particularly nasty-looking spell.

Right. Time to shine. With Cyril's protection you should be able to focus.

The spell takes shape quickly though you can feel that Zanni is slowly gaining ground. The staff must be working in her favor.

You etch the last pheme and cast the spell at the staff. It is an ingenious spell really, it was meant as a prank-spell. It was made to ruin pottery to annoy an old man in some obscure village but it has later been used to reduce walls to dust. Surely a staff should easily crumble!

Nothing happens for a moment, and you cannot help but worry that you might have made the spell too small or made a wrong pheme somewhere, or missed up the order, or...

Snap

You look at the staff. It looks the same but everything around you is going insane, the lights the temple itself even seems to shift, turn and wither.

The staff shatters quite suddenly, small shards flying left and right, and with it so falls everything else. No lights remain and at your feel if feel that the temple is not as it were. It is more rough now, and some of the stones are missing.

It worked!

You conjure up a light. Did Cyril vanish as well?

You look around. No, Cyril is still there. “how come you are still here?” you ask as you approach. The ghost looks haggard, but he hasn't been wasting time, he is already casting a spell and doesn't waste time replying right away.

Something high above you snaps, and you can hear it echo through the cavern. What if the roof is coming down?

“You must hurry, leave before the roof collapses or you will surely die” he speaks, suddenly very urgent. Whatever spell he was casting has fizzled and he looks frantic.

You run for the exit and make it to safety without any problems. The change to the temple is huge though, it looks so close to crumbling now that magic is no longer supporting it, and you cannot help but consider how much of what you saw was really an illusion.

You begin climbing the stairs when you hear Cyril calling to you from a few steps down.

“My promise to you” he says, and hands you a necklace of chipped onyx-black shards.

With that he fades away.

You look at the necklace and even without any investigation you can feel the power from this newly crafted item.

“Thank you” you say to the dark. Almost as if on cue a tremor hits and throws you to the ground. You quickly figure that a retreat is needed.

Black shard necklace

Failure:

“I stand with you Cyril. The staff can be destroyed, and thus everyone will be freed, even you Zanni.”

You hope that the idea will mellow her, and for a moment she seems calm as a cow on a meadow.

“You are a fool to think I would let you do such a thing.” she states calmly, too calmly for comfort really. “You may have recruited a helper, but the move has cost you the lady's peace! I am finally allowed to slay you!”

With that a hail of magic starts. Cyril thankfully shields you but he cannot withstand the onslaught for long. “Hurry” he gasps, as he dives away from a particularly nasty-looking spell.

Right. Time to shine. With Cyril's protection you should be able to focus.

The spell takes shape quickly though you can feel that Zanni is slowly gaining ground. The staff must be working in her favor.

You etch the last pheme and cast the spell at the staff. It is an ingenious spell really, it was meant as a prank-spell. It was made to ruin pottery to annoy an old man in some obscure village but it has later been used to reduce walls to dust. Surely a staff should easily crumble!

Nothing happens for a moment, and you cannot help but worry that you might have made the spell too small or made a wrong pheme somewhere, or missed up the order, or...

You hold your breath. You know the mistake now!

You cast a glance at Cyril, he isn't holding up well.

You begin another spell but even before you can begin inscribing phemes you are hit by the backlash of one of Zanni's spells, knocking you flat to the ground.

A loud “crack” echoes through the cavern and there is no doubt, the place will likely be falling appart. The magical duel between Zanni and Cyril must drain up much of the power that otherwise went into keeping the temple standing.

As you try to rise the floor suddenly gives in, and from moment to the next you find yourself the room where so many had died. The room looks nothing like it was, the only positive thing is that the skeletons all had turned to dust. A tremor goes through the entire structure and without a shadow of doubt you know that the whole building will come crashing down.

The next moment you are running for your life, only when you got to the relative safety of the stairs do you feel the pain from your knee.

You are sure that the staff will be destroyed now, but you had hoped to do it a bit more elegant.

At least all the ghosts are now free, though that fact does little for the pain in your leg.

-2 Vitality

End of Adventure

Exit3, Strength/Brute Strength choose Cyril

Success: “I stand with you Cyril. The staff can be destroyed, and thus everyone will be freed, even you Zanni.”

When Zanni finally seems to have forgotten you you run for the staff and take it in your hands. It seems unusually cold in your hands, almost like it was attempting to freeze them. You give it a heave but it seems surprisingly difficult to carry.

With brute strength you shrug off whatever magic or mindtricks the staff was doing. Getting a good grip at the end of the staff you hold the staff high above your head and in one swoop you ram it down toward the ground like a batter hitting a ball.

The staff remains, but it has cracked a few places. “No!” you hear Zanni shout, but already the strength of the staff seems diminished. You lift the staff once more and drive it head first into the stone floor. The snake encircling the staff itself shatters and with another strike the staff itself finally snaps.

The lights quickly falters and so does everything else. You can barely recognize the temple once you summon a bit of light to your side. The spells that had kept the temple standing is no more, that much is sure. The stone beneath your feet seems to be crumbling and its surface is no longer smooth marble but more like decayed rock.

“You must leave now.” Cyril speaks, you hadn't even noticed that he was standing there. “I will catch up to you, but if you do not leave now then your life is forfeit. The temple will fall shortly. Make haste!”

You don't hesitate and bolt for the stairway that you came from, hoping that it still stands.

You reach the stairway and, from the looks of the temple, in fairly good time. It has begun to fall a few places but nothing major. You try to look for Cyril when a column near the stairway comes crashing down. The earth shakes a bit as it hit the ground and you decide it would be best to put some distance between yourself and the temple. What if it brings down the staircase as well?

You race up the stairs, near the exit a voice stops you. It is Cyril.

“My promise to you” he says, and hands you a necklace of chipped onyx-black shards.

With that he fades away.

You look at the necklace and even without any investigation you can feel the power from this newly crafted item.

“Thank you” you say to the dark. Almost as if on cue a tremor hits and throws you to the ground. You quickly figure that a retreat is needed.

Black shard necklace

Failure: “I stand with you Cyril. The staff can be destroyed, and thus everyone will be freed, even you Zanni.”

When Zanni finally seems to have forgotten you you run for the staff and take it in your hands. It seems unusually cold in your hands, almost like it was attempting to freeze them. You give it a heave but it seems surprisingly difficult to carry.

The odd weight and the cold in your fingers makes it impossible for you to simply hit the staff against the ground.

You consider other alternatives. You are pretty high up...

You look over the side. The height should be enough to shatter the staff – you hope – but it is a stepped pyramid after all, you would have to toss it so that it doesn't hit one of the tiers as it falls.

You rub your hands together briskly and take a new hold of the end. As quickly as you can you bring it to one side and toss it quickly, as far as you can.

To your dread it strikes the railing of the second highest tier.

The lights seem to give out for a bit and maybe the drop was enough. You look to Cyril, how is he holding up?

You see him trapped in the far side of the tier, supporting his weight on a column, not far from him stand Zanni, as hauntingly beautiful as ever though she almost seem to radiate a malice that seems to sap at your strength. You have to destroy that staff!

With a bit of fancy footwork you quickly find yourself at the right tier and run to the staff when the lights all go out.

“Finally!” Zanni cries from higher up. A cold seems to descend upon the temple.

You try to feel your way to the staff but have to give up, the darkness is total. You summon a light and rush to the staff. You quickly hurl it over the side and as you do you hear the structure groan. Like an old building, but this is much louder.

“What have you done?!” Zanni cries, but she is far away.

You can barely see the ghosts far below you, but some of them seem to vanish. Maybe the staff can't maintain the spells away from the center of the temple.

Any further thought was broken by the sound of a loud snap. Like a twig but more dry and much louder. Without a doubt the temple is collapsing.

You are halfway up the stairway before you dare take a rest. The dread you felt at the top of the temple have diminished, but it is still there. The temple might have been destroyed and part of the cave, but you still have a feeling that something is off.

You proceed, though with a more moderate pace, to the surface. Only as you enter the dimming light from the sun do you feel safe again – as safe as one can feel in the Imperial Reserve.

It wasn't a win by any means, but many of the ghost were freed – you hope all of them, but you are certainly not going back to check!

2 Stress

End of Adventure

ITEM

Staff of the Eye:

Durability (8)

Hand

Illegal

+3 Enchant

+5 Glamour

+4 Charm

+3 Intelligence

- 1 strength

“This staff is surprisingly light, hardly eights anything at all – until you intend to use it. Once held in your hand the staff will sap a bit of your physical power to grant you an even greater prize. It was created by Eleni the Illusionist back when the dragons still kept men enslaved. What impact she had on the world is difficult to say, simply as she is only mentioned in the passing. We are sure she attended several battles and was spoken of with respect, but little else. Of the staff there is little doubt though, it is a powerful tool in the right hands, granting power to even the meanest of novices. The eye at the top of the staff blinks once in a while though, which is just plain creepy.“

ITEM

Black shard necklace:

Durability (5)

Neck

+1 Strength

+2 Intelligence

+1 Insight

Made from the shards of a broken pieces of the staff empowering a temple that stood for thousands of years.

The necklace itself is made of seven shards of highly enchanted wood, the shards seeming to absorb light. The string is a somewhat stiff material, though what exactly remains a mystery.

Wow this items are real powerfull. Dont think I encountered anything that even get close to this two in my games so fare.

So at last the Staff is probably not even Legendary any more instead it maybe need a new category above this like Godly (If that makes any sense).

I also wonder what difficultys we reach at the end of this chain just to justify the posible reward oO.

Wow this items are real powerfull. Dont think I encountered anything that even get close to this two in my games so fare.

So at last the Staff is probably not even Legendary any more instead it maybe need a new category above this like Godly (If that makes any sense).

I also wonder what difficultys we reach at the end of this chain just to justify the posible reward oO.

I would say it should be at least around 30+.

Most likely close to that Guardian of The Unknown Seal contribution.

Very nice work, Adrian ;)

The necklace pales too much in comparison to the Staff - and considering Cyril actually said he will "enhance" you via spells, I'd say it might be better to make it an passive ability with attribute increase - that way, it will be more equal to the staff because the staff can be stolen or broken - abilities can't.

It will hurt if our incompetent Professor Knoht Knohts away the staff because you didn't conceal it enough :P

(Enough with the Knohty jokes!)

I had first intented to make the necklace a +increase in abiliies directly, but honestly I thought that was kindda... overpowered (if I am allowed to say that after making the staff). So I switched it up a bit.

The staff - yeah it is certainly god-like, but illegal as well, so you risk it being lost in the vault every time you use it. Makes things a bit interesting I think. :)

I certainly agree that the difficulty of this adventure should messure up to the items though. This is kindda heavy stuff and we have only been studying in the school for a year (max).

Archived