Black Chicken Studios Forums

Some Religious Fluff

CremePudding

Background:

Atheist Family

For every skill steps gained in Oratory or Piety, you will also incur an additional point of stress, and your parental approval will be decreased by 20. While in any temple location or events taking place in temples, you will suffer a 1 point decrease of attribute across the board, and you will also suffer a 1 point decrease of luck until your Ethics or Logic subskill is raised above 7. This backgrounds give one free background points.

You are not exactly descended from heretics or other disapproved heritage, and while your family has the good sense of avoiding to display their distaste of religions, they certainly will not approve should you become pious.

Ability:

Pray For Vengeance

By passing a difficult (Insight/Piety v. 15) roll, you can pray upon the gods to deliver a dose of bad luck (-2 Luck, - 5 Chance Of Success) against a target of your choice for a week. However, the gods will only consent when the target's Ethics is lesser than 3 - you are worshiping saintly gods, not a bunch of infernal dragons!

Action Type:

Hostile

Religious

Action:

Pray With Fellow Students

If you are informed of a student that also have sufficient piety, you can invite him/her to pray together with you, regardless of relationship, and expanding Piety by 1 SS for both of you. The common faith between you two will also incur a 1-point relationship increase. A truly faithful prayer (Insight/Piety v. 15) will strengthen the relationship by a further point, and also increase a random attribute by 1 point for two days.

Background:

Awkward with Athanasius

All your School Survival training speed is halved, and you gain 2 point of stress everyday should you perform any action in a location inside Academagia. Furthermore, your Navigation and Pure Luck will also suffer a -2 penalty for all rolls in the grounds of Academagia. If your Ethics, Piety or Logic reach 7, you can perform a special action to convert your parents to piety, which will lift the stress penalty, but not the School Survival penalty, the Navigation nor the Pure Luck penalty. You gain two point of background points for this.

Unfortunately for you, your parents had an unusual dislike for Athanasius, whose Academagia was dedicated to, and went out of their way to sabotage their pious neighbors. While they are discreet enough to keep it to themselves to save your social life, the mere thought of being in a place dedicated to Athanasius and Noimea (who are probably not very pleased) is enough to stress you out of fear of being punished for your parent's deeds.

Background:

Atheist Family

Parent approval is cheap compare to bg point and not everyone will be taking Piety so it's essentially free point for them.

Use a stricter penalty like you can never raise luck above 2 and/or -5% success chance and/or religious action always fail and/or astrology action always end badly.

Ability:

Pray For Vengeance

- you are worshiping saintly gods, not a bunch of infernal dragons!

You could become a demon worshiper instead and serve the Giant Black Chicken of Fried Chicken Hell.

For just 20 points in Parental Aproval I am more then happy to get a backgroundpoint. Especial ther is no negative Parental Aproval because this would be resoult in bugs.

And remember that there are Background like Station: Wealthy where you get 50 Parental Aproval right at the start (+ some Skills + 200 pims)

So even if it would work you would have to set it to more like 20 points Parental Approval per Piety point and add something like 5% Spell Failure.

(Slight modified Prodigy: Bad Luck Magnet)

Atheism doesn't really exist- the power of the gods is too manifest. There are some humanist/secularist philosophies that respect the role of the gods, but make paramount the actions, decisions and will of mankind. We may illustrate more of that later, but it's not something that would appear in a Background, I don't think.

Interesting question, though!

Retired Deer;

No, but Athanasius and Noimea are most often associated with the Academagia as a whole. Athanasius had a school of learning, when he walked amongst men, at the Venalicium in the Upper City of Mineta (not the same as the Venalicium Library on the Academagia campus.) Noimea dedicated the site of the Academagia to him, and established the University almost coincident with the Empire of Man.

;) I guess I have something else in store...

Background:

Awkward with Athanasius

All your School Survival training speed is halved, and you gain 2 point of stress everyday should you perform any action in a location inside Academagia. Furthermore, your Navigation and Pure Luck will also suffer a -2 penalty for all rolls in the grounds of Academagia. If your Ethics, Piety or Logic reach 7, you can perform a special action to convert your parents to piety, the stress penalty will be lifted, but not the school survival penalty nor the Navigation and Pure Luck penalty. You gain two point of background points for this.

Unfortunately for you, your parents had an unusual dislike for Athanasius, whose Academagia was dedicated, and went out of their way to sabotage their pious neighbors. While they are discreet enough to keep it to themselves to save your social life, the mere thought of being in a place dedicated to Athanasius and Noimea is enough to stress you out of fear of punished for your parent's deeds.

Maybe make it an adventure to convince your parent.

Great idea!

An persuasion-based adventure would be fun to play with, but I am kinda afraid it will "defines" the player's parents too much :(

Hmm, perhaps if it is a short adventure on finding some backing to back you up on the matter it might works...

Great idea!

An persuasion-based adventure would be fun to play with, but I am kinda afraid it will "defines" the player's parents too much :(

Everyone know your parent are puddings! But for the human players here,

Either keep them really vague in third person view or the hard and awesome way of referencing the player's family background and change the sentence/paragraph base on the reference data.

For example:

-Your parent is annoyed that you would be preaching religion to them, (read code)

(Favored Child) but they listened because you are their favorite child. (+10% success)

(Black Sheep) "Silence! Don't bother us!" (-10% success)

(Abusive Parent) "WHY ARE YOU TALKING!?" *Whip* *Whip* *Fireball* *Fireball*" (Event End)

You could become a demon worshiper instead and serve the Giant Black Chicken of Fried Chicken Hell.

Seriously, I think a background where your family have a history of secret dragon worship would be a better foil for both the pious and grave-robber family backgrounds. Think about it, it was both humanity's spiritual and intellectual qualities that let them eventually triumph over the dragons. Also with the proper disadvantages, it would be a great excuse for an additional background point or two.;)

Everyone know your parent are puddings! But for the human players here,

Either keep them really vague in third person view or the hard and awesome way of referencing the player's family background and change the sentence/paragraph base on the reference data.

For example:

-Your parent is annoyed that you would be preaching religion to them, (read code)

(Favored Child) but they listened because you are their favorite child. (+10% success)

(Black Sheep) "Silence! Don't bother us!" (-10% success)

(Abusive Parent) "WHY ARE YOU TALKING!?" *Whip* *Whip* *Fireball* *Fireball*" (Event End)

But I was spawned by a sentiment demiplane thingy as a bait :(

(Locally Notable) but you manage to convert the rest of the town to place your parents in peer pressure.

(Mastery) so you take control of their body, force them to visit and pray at a temple, and tell them it is divine intervention.

But really, I don't think I am up for it, as cool as the idea could be :(

Exfides;

You are definitely right- but for secret dragon worship we'd want to do something special, and with certain...consequences. Maybe Year 3. :)

Dragon Worhshiping is one of the Backgrounds I will never pick for one of my Chars ... then bether serve the Watcher instead of this.

Btw. as a Dragon Worshiper wouldn't then the Vernin Adventure at the wall end different? ;)

Archived