Black Chicken Studios Forums

Raising Parent Skill

SecretlyEnvious

your parent skill is at the lowest level of your tree highest SS of this Skill. If you unlooked only two or less SS for this so fare your out of luck.

I.e.

Archery 5

Running 10

Competition 3

Wrestling 1

Resoult in Atlethics 3

but

Listen 10

Temperance 10

the other not unlocked or at 0

Resoult in Befriend 0

your parent skill is at the lowest level of your tree highest SS of this Skill. If you unlooked only two or less SS for this so fare your out of luck.

Don't crush SecretlyEnvious's hopes and dreams Schwarzbart! :P

Seriously though, there ways to unlock unknown subskills. First, there are Actions and Abilities that either expand a skill step in a totally random subskill, like Joie de Vivre, or those that expand a randomly selected subskill of a specific skill, like Study at the Venalicium Library (in this case it will expand a random research subskill). Second, selecting the options with a given subskill during Events and Adventures will inform you of the skill (even if you fail, if you succeed it might even raise it). Third, raising certain parent skills or subskills will inform your character about others, the School Survival parent skill and subskills are good for that. Fourth, while the changes are only temporary casting a spell or using additional phemes that effect a subskill will permanently inform your character of them. Fifth, visiting locations that give temporary modifiers to subskills will likewise inform your characters about them.

Hope this helps!

Exfides I have to disagre with the complet random SS like you get in Joie der Vivre or the Sphinx. From my expirience in how long it takes using the Sphinx (4x Complet Random per slot) to unlock Theory of Incantation it realy needs a lot of luck or many, many trys if you need to unlook a specific SS.

(Because my SS count of the public Mod DB is 236 and there where new SS added in the last DLC's i would say its 1 time of around every 240 Complet Random SS you use)

I'll have to agree with Schwarzbart. Getting lucky in Sphinx/whatever happens but with so many skills (and more still being added) chances are not amazing. An easier way is to simply cast a spell and add a pheme were your subskill is modified. Even easier than that is if you are able to visit a place that gives you an expantion.

The phemes modifiers can be found on our wiki, which is likely the easiest way to find what you are looking for. The Wiki link

To address the examples in question.

Blackmail: Only three subskills, so you have to raise them all.

Observation should be easily found, half the events in Academagia has an investigate option where observation is used ;)

Memorization is more tricky. It can be gained easily in the tutoring adventure, but if you passed that already then you are out of luck. I can't recall any easy way to unluck this beyond the adventure.

Journalism Easy to find, I believe everyone starts out with "Ballos: News Stand" right? if so, then use that action.

Sabotage has an aditional subskill.

Artisan there are various ways, if you know the Temple of Ioducia then "work the looms".

Perception much like observation, you should learn this easily through an investigate. If not then raising observation grants a pheme that should unluck this.

Playfulness another somewhat easy, there is a few ways to get it I believe. Old Stockades or the Circus being the easiest perhaps, if not resorting to spellcasting.

Practical Jokes somewhat easy, do a train or another action and do it in the Academagia: Dining Hall. Should inform you I believe.

If I just made a total fool of myself by stating the obvious then I'm sorry, but I'll likely do it again ;)

Adrian, Schwarzbart, I won't argue with your experience with these skills. However, I will say that these skills are supposed to be random and that no digital computer can generate a truly random number (as the seed always is always based on some sort of finite number, usually part of the CPU clock value for that instant). That's why all outputs of any random number generating code is technically called "pseudo-random".

Your other advice is great though.

Exfides: Having a pseudo random generator instead of a real Random Number (what you also not get if you using a dice) change realy somthing at the 1 of 240 chance?

I would agree if we talk about even lesser chances that ther will some effect but so I doupt that we will see any effect.

The only thing when it would change something is when you exactly know how the pseudo random generator works annd where he curently is or if you manage to hack it.

Exfides and having a pseudo random generator instead of a real Random Number (what you also not get if you using a dice) change what at the 1 of 240 chance?

The only thing when it would change something is when you exactly know how the pseudo random generator works annd where he curently is or if you manage to hack it.

Well in the case of the Sphinx, first there are only two random SS expansions that are supposed to be random, and for one you have to make a skill roll. Of the others one is player selected, the other is randomly selected from the list of skills currently known by your character. This means that you have two rolls each with a 1 in 240 chance to get a specific skill. However that doesn't necessarily cut the odds in half and give you an effective 1 in 120 chance each time your character matches wits with the Sphinx.

In any case, most pseudo-random number generators do share one important quality of a real random number generator, they don't have what is referred to in mathematical probability as "memory". In this sense, memory means the previous results have no bearing on the current number being generated (e.g. both blackjack and poker are games with memory because the previously drawn cards effect the chances of drawing a particular card, where as each roll of a roulette wheel is independent of previous rolls). Therefore going back to the previous paragraph, each roll is independent with a 1 in 240 chance, and the result of the first neither increase nor decrease the probability of the second.

Finally it is entirely possible, though not necessarily probable, to select a given number in a given range (e.g. 25 in a range of 1 to 240) and not get the desired result even after hundreds of attempts with a true random number generator. With a pseudo-random number generator this is somewhat more likely because streaks of the same or similar numbers are more likely (in contrast to a true random number generator where streaks are possible but a lot less likely). Intuitively people know that eventually the desired number should be a result, but the random number generator (regardless if it is a bunch of dice or a RNG[] procedure) doesn't know or care how long you have been attempting to get a number... it just generates one.*shrug*

There is no statistical differences in likelyhood whether you generate a random number using dice or a computer. Both have more or less the same chances, even though the computer number is semi-random due to the use of an algorithm.

The only moment the randomness disappears is when you both know the algorithm used and the input beforehand, which is often the current time or something similar non-static.

So for all intents and purposes, the numbers and thus choice of subskills are random.

And even though it's unlikely to get a string of the same subskills, it's not impossible. But getting that one skill you want, that is hard. :)

There is no statistical differences in likelyhood whether you generate a random number using dice or a computer. Both have more or less the same chances, even though the computer number is semi-random due to the use of an algorithm.

The only moment the randomness disappears is when you both know the algorithm used and the input beforehand, which is often the current time or something similar non-static.

So for all intents and purposes, the numbers and thus choice of subskills are random.

And even though it's unlikely to get a string of the same subskills, it's not impossible. But getting that one skill you want, that is hard. :)

Thank you Draigh for rending my overly verbose and somewhat technical post down to the essential conclusions. :blush:

Sometimes it would also just enough to agree with what I have sayed first place because its the same as draig posted ^^

(my Posting was from the expirience as a on and Offline RPG Player with things giving out "Random" numbers and knowing that i.e the only way to real win over time in Slot machines is to know the algorithm theyr random generator works on and also knowing where it is)

Archived