Black Chicken Studios Forums

A question about forbidden magic

kingtiger522

1) If I remember corect the last time this kind of magic was forbiden again is ~300 years ago.

2) If even a year 1 with the secret background have the ability to get into hiding, what do you think can over 300 years old people do? Also a 300 year old have for sure enough social contacts and power that the rules of the young dont mater to him.

3) Can't answaer this

4) huh there is other magic that isn't allowed to use?

FreeSpace;

1) Mastery and Gates have been proscribed off and on again at several periods in history, and in various places in Elumia, but the most recent ban on both dates from about 300 years ago.

2) A few wizards are still alive from the period before the ban. They were not killed out of hand, but were forbidden to practice their magics and train new apprentices. With wizards that powerful, generally people tend to turn a blind eye...:)

3) It's almost always: 'we're way smarter than we were last time.' :)

4) It depends on the severity of the offense, who was involved, and how public a transgression it was.

Edit: Schwarzbart, there are some other forms of magic which are proscribed in various, yes, for a variety of reasons, mostly cultural or religious. Usage of even small uncontrolled fire magics, for instance, tends to carry penalties in major cities which aren't necessarily applied out in the countryside.

Thanks for the fast response! To tack on another couple questions Regarding #3 though, if the bans were lifted due to the general impression that people were perceived to be capable of performing them properly at the time, then I have to ask if that confidence (or perhaps hubris) exists at all in the present? Time does tend to heal wounds and history may not repeat but it does rhyme.

I realize that if you have plans to have the bans removed in future years you're not going to be spilling the beans here, but on average just how long have those bans lasted in the past?

freespace;

Centuries, usually- and definitely it's the case that every user of Gates and Mastery thinks that they are capable of using it without abuse. :)

In Pievre, in particular, there is a growing sentiment amongst the wizards there to re-open inquiry into these fields. Everyone else may need persuading. :)

Centuries, usually- and definitely it's the case that every user of Gates and Mastery thinks that they are capable of using it without abuse. :)

Well I'd imagine that some wizards just don't care about such things to begin with... ;)

In Pievre, in particular, there is a growing sentiment amongst the wizards there to re-open inquiry into these fields. Everyone else may need persuading. :)

Isn't Pievre where that upstart Academagia wannabe, ahem, the new second academy of general magic studies is based? I sense some epic adventures in later Years revolving around this! B)

• 4 weeks later...

What about Calligraphy vs. Mastery? I mean, there's an action via Calligraphy allowing you to send some invitation and thus controlling another character for a time period, right? True, everyone needs to learn how to write, but I should think it's more difficult to control Calligraphy (since everyone HAS to learn it, and that people end up wanting to do whatever you say) vs. Mastery. Then again, I haven't ever studied Mastery in my character (she happens to be Euneycia's apprentice only), so I don't know.

I may be wrong here.

SE;

I'm not quite sure if I recall correctly, but I believe that the control from Calligraphy is meant to simulate an invitation so formal, so beautifully written, that you are compelled to obey. :)

And luckily, Professor Sixt isn't good enough to compel his UBER GREATEST LADY RIVAL or Orso Orsi to resign.

There is an 'Immune to Calligraphy' ability? Luckily Philippe doesn't have that ability.wink.gif

But for the Create Formal Invitation action it requires such an insane amount of Finesse + (one of the calligraphy subskill) and only lets you control that person for 2 days.

Was worth it though.

Archived