Black Chicken Studios Forums

Attending classes

Sandermatt

It is a bit up to you as a person and a student, personally though, my characters tend to skip some classes but not so many that I get into too much trouble with my teachers, meaning maybe 5 skips per week, less at the begining, though that might not affect anything.

All in all up to you, I'd slow down and attend more classes if you start getting detention though ;)

In games where I'm not roleplaying or trying to limit myself to only a certain amount of saves, I go to class, and check if my character learned or got anything in that day. Didn't? Then I reload and skip it. This really only works if you have high attributes, though, as the game doesn't report skill steps gained in classes, only actual skill level ups (which means it's dodgiest with Arithmetic, usually). I skip near the beginning of the game to try and quickly gain as many skills as possible (I like to pick up planning skills early for instance, as well as Wit, as the Sphinx is practically essential to getting as many skills I can in the end game), then I usually go back to going regularly to classes from the second month till a month or so after midgame, then I usually end up doing a lot of skipping as I start adventuring.

Once I've maxed skills of all classes for that timeslot (or at least, maxed all the skills the class teaches), I go full skipping. Detention is no bother, but the problem is the lack of warning from detention to suspension.

After getting and going through suspension, you get around five more skips before you seem to trigger detentions again. I'm not sure how far you can go with detentions till you reach yet another suspension, though, which is something to avoid.

...but yeah, I go with skip as much as you can get away with. :)

When doing the check class - rewind time trick, be careful that you check your multi-step skills as well. Just because it didn't say you didn't get a skill doesn't mean nothing got taught. You might have gained a SS and not know of it...

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I was looking for info about class schedules (for what days to skip). I thought for sure someone mentioned that you learn things in class on fixed days. Looking at the Mod Tools, that seems to be the case.

For instance, Arithmetic Class has these Class Skills:

Accounting (Sub Skill) (Date = "Veranix 8", Variance = 3)

Administration (Sub Skill) (Date = "Pramidi 19", Variance = 3)

13 entries/dates of Applications of Arithmetic, etc.

So fixed dates but with a chance of 0-3 or 1-3 Subskill Steps. That's what the Variance means, yeah? Not always 3 but up to 3? It's easier to just save and load but MT is a way to check. I wonder if anybody would be interested in this on the Wiki...

• 2 weeks later...

Oh oh question!

I have reloaded the same day multiple times and I get the same exact results in classes: it's either the same exact Skill Step levels or none at all. And I saw on another topic that the Constellations a player gets when using... some Astrology Action (I forget) is randomly determined at the start of the game/school year.

Soooo... is that the case for Class too? Are Skill Steps randomly set in the calendar at the beginning of a new game? Like can one game have the Accounting SS in Arithmetic class on Veranix 7 and a new game has it on Veranix 10 no matter how often you save and reload on Veranix 1 or 6 or whatever? If it's plus or minus 3 days that's around 5 days the SS can fall on (because of weekends) and 20% isn't too bad a chance to get it. Reloading 20 times is likely to give you the SS if it randomly set for the day, on the day. Reloading 20 times after having gotten the SS and continuing to get the same exact Steps suggests to me it's no longer random. By this point.

Is this the case then? Or does it randomly set at the start of a new month? Or at the start of the date range? Or something else besides the start of the day in question because class never changes after reloading.

Man, this game is interesting.

Two days? Okay, I've tested it out (briefly cause I'm lazy and wanna work on the Wiki or play the game now).

I picked my game's most recent Thursday where 2 classes gave me a SkillStep to Properties of Arithmetic and Palettes. So I reloaded to the morning of Wednesday 3 times (Wednesday didn't give me SS originally anyway). All 3 reloads gave me both Thursday Skillsteps.

Then I loaded to Tuesday 2 times and Wednesday and Thursday class results were the same. Did Monday twice, took note of the Revision Spells SkillStep from a Random Event... and Thursday's before and afters were the same again.

Now if I tested a day without SS originally and it kept turning up SS empty, it would be pretty useless evidence for or against randomness (most of my Class skills are maxed right now anyway). But I assume that getting a Skillstep is less likely than not getting a Skillstep. It just depends on the equations/mechanics used. A range of 5 days could have a 50-50 chance of getting the skill on each of the first four days, except for the fifth day where it's automatic because it's the last possibility (I have no idea if that's even possible within game mechanics so I'm just throwing out stuff here). Or day one has a low chance and the chances increase with each day... OR all days have a low and equal chance and you better reload if you didn't get it by the last day... Oooooor the randomness was set somewhere else along the line as I've been wondering.

So 2 day reloads affecting Class SS is still possible but doesn't seem very likely to me. And it's bad enough I reload once or twice for about half the days because of classes, Random Events, and the Sphinx; I am not reloading 2-3 days in advance too! It's hard to skip every useless class anyway <_<

Thank you for the info nonetheless, Schwarzbart. I will probably test it further in the future :)

I'd say that Y2 will probably be balanced around a "normal" play through. IE, going in with some coherent idea of what you're doing, but not flat optimizing your actions or save scumming.

Correct me if I'm wrong of course Legate, but I'd imagine that it's entirely unessisary to optimize every action.

Not to say I'm saying you shouldn't. I enjoy optimization and plotting out a "perfect" character is a lot of fun for me after I beat a game "normally", so things like that just give a lot more replay value for me.

Has anyone calculated up exactly how many stat gains, skill gains, and research you can earn assuming a "perfect" utilization of all your actions?

If you attend all classes and don't get detention, then you have 500 actions to utilize.

There are 300 days (280 regular days and I think 20 Holidays...?) so if you get Sphinx by Hionosi and spam it (or scum it? that word keeps coming up in reference to reloading but it only makes me think of Lucas Arts), that's at least 100 actions which gives you 300 Skill/Research Gains.

Aaaaand that's about all the speculation I'm going to do because the gains are too dependent on the mix of actions you choose.

It's been written elsewhere that attributes only need to be at 5 or 6 to train a skill with the least Skill Steps possible (up to level 10 at least). So after that, higher attributes aren't needed except for rolls (and if you're scumming...).

On my current game I trained to get Cleanse and Remake early on but I've ended up not using it at all. The skills I wanted to raise to high levels already had the necessary attributes (except for maybe class skills but I've ended up maxing out on 80% of those halfway through the year...). I think I'll skip Cleanse and Remake on my next game. I'm not one for using the spells a lot anyway.

• 1 month later...

So what determines whether you get caught skipping class, anyways? Honestly the only things in my classes I really care about are when they teach me spells, or locations, or inform me of skills. And most of those I would have gotten anyways through my free time activities. I don't want detentions, because they are as bad as classes, but spending timeslots doing nothing really bugs me.

And the reward in Year 2 for perfect attendance would have to be REALLY good to be worth it.

To my knowledge it is:

- The total number of times you skipped class so fare in this game.

- How many times you skipped class recently, this counter reduce when you attend all class for at last 2 week.

- How much your teacher like or hate you.

- You skill in Composure.

And the reward in Year 2 for perfect attendance would have to be REALLY good to be worth it.

Its already mentioned its just something minor.

Archived