Black Chicken Studios Forums

A lot of promise

WCG

FYI, I blogged about Academagia: The Making of Mages. I think the game has a lot of promise - it's a great idea, and I really like the tons of options - but I guess I don't think it really works. Still, I sincerely hope there's a second game that makes some needed changes.

At any rate, if you're interested, here's the link to my initial impressions of the game:

http://garthright.blogspot.com/2011/06/academagia-making-of-mages-initial.html

And here's the follow-up:

http://garthright.blogspot.com/2011/06/academagia-making-of-mages-review.html

Note that I haven't spent any time on the forum here. And this is just my opinion. If you disagree, fine. And if you're not interested, don't follow the links. Really, I just see so much promise in this game, that I hope they do make some changes in the next one.

I've got to admit that I've never played a game quite like this one, and that's a great thing in itself! I think they're on the right path, so who knows what might result?

WCG;

Thanks for the reviews! There are some definitely justified issues you raise, such as the font, which we are actively working on. And, of course, there are some areas where we disagree- but overall, I think your analysis is well thought out and very good.

Thanks again for the time, effort, and hopefully you had fun! :)

I'm not sorry I bought the game, though I'm afraid I did like the idea better than the execution. I kept hoping that something would hook me, some reason to keep playing. At the start, just developing my character was enough, but there didn't seem to be any clear reason why I was doing that. The midterms were so anticlimactic that I didn't last much longer. I seemed to have more fun when I went to college for real. :lol:

Admittedly, I rarely finish any game. I play while they're interesting and then move on. And this is the kind of game where I'm likely to dip back into it from time to time, spending another week or two at the school on occasion.

I don't mean to sound overly critical. This game really intrigues me. The fact that it's so close to being what I want makes me all the more disappointed that it's not quite there yet. (Of course, that's just what I want. This is largely a matter of personal taste.)

I will be very interested in seeing the sequel.

Archived