Black Chicken Studios Forums

some clarifications on spells and phemes

Perles75

Hello,

so, the spells and phemes part is one of the most complex I'd say... even if I understood the concept I have some questions about the mechanics. In particular, there are some entries in their description I haven't quite grasped.

The most important: every spell is associated with one or more Spell types, and that's fine. However, also the phemes have an entry called "spell types" that reads like that: i.e. pheme aromatic, spell types aromatic (magnitude = 3), scent (magnitude=1), and so on. What's their meaning?

Also, spells have in the desctiptions the entries "charge", and "success/failure chance magnitude" and it seems to me they are always set at 0. What's their use?

Thanks!

Fortis;

Spell Types are used for Artificing and Enchanting, and very rarely have some meaning in Duels as well.

Charge determines the number of times a Spell could be used, before it is lost. Success/Failure Magnitude determines a percentage chance that the Spell will automatically Succeed or Fail. Both are very rarely used, however- they were mostly created to allow flexibility, if we needed it.

If I could continue this question on magnitude just a bit...?

Anatomy states:

Increase Anatomy

Anatomy (Magnitude = 5)

Biology (Magnitude = 5)

Natural Philosophy (Magnitude = 3)

Opposition Mangle (Magnitude = 4)

Would this mean that the Anatomy Pheme could be used with any spell related to Anatomy, Biology, and Natural Philosophy? What is Opposition Mangle? Does "Magnitude = 5" mean that Anatomy must have a value of 5 for a 100% successful cast--and if not, what does that 5 mean? And how long does the increase last? Forever? Because no time limit is stated.

Thanks!

Monteverdi;

No problem!

As noted earlier, these are the Spell Types of the Pheme, and have relevance only for the Artificing and Enchantment subsystems, where they describe the penalties (if any) for using Phemes with their Opposites. There is a possible effect in Duels, too, but it's rare and generally small.

No Duration changes or casting issues from these parameters. :)

Legate, I was asking about magnitude in relation to another pheme, which I don't think has to do with enchantment. At least, I think that's the case, or is the pheme Anatomy only of relevance to Artificing and Enchantment? And my other questions weren't answered--to be honest, I'm more confused now than I was, previously.

Would it be better if I made this into a separate thread?

Monteverdi;

No, this thread is fine- the problem is that some of the questions that you have asked do not apply to the information you are asking about, or at least that appears to be the case. :)

To clarify, these Spell Types, their Magnitudes, etc., impact only the Artificing and Enchantment subsystems of the Pheme they belong to. You may see them used elsewhere, and that's how you can determine if there is any conflict between Phemes.

I see one area where I misunderstood you, though- you were asking how long the Duration would be of the Increase to Biology if you used the Anatomy Pheme in a Spell? If so, the answer is: the Duration of the Spell you are using it with. Everything gets wrapped up together, as it were. :)

Let me know if this makes more sense! :)

Yes, I think that clarifies everything. So magnitude is a term specifically referring to Artificing and Enchantment. Without those, it isn't relevant.

Thanks! :)

Parenthetically, this means just a few more things to do with future characters. Which is great, of course.

Archived