Black Chicken Studios Forums

Skill maximum errors

Perles75

Hello,

I experience frequent problems regarding the indication of skill levels, especially when they are (or should be) at maximum.

First: many of my parent skills indicate skill maximum 99. I think this is a new effect: I installed patch 49 but I continued with a game started more or less with patch 40, and I don't recall I saw it before.

Second: in a couple of cases (in my case, archeology and revision methods) I can read the following: skill maximum 11 (due to Research), skill level at maximum - but I have only 10!

Also, in some cases, while I have reached the skill maximum, it still displays the "needed for next level" indication (yes, not considering the modifications due to bonuses).

Also: several times I saw, for example "needed for next level 1 of 1". What does it mean? I thought that, when the number of skill steps reaches the needed number necessary for the increase, the counter goes back to zero... (so that, for example, we see 0 of 2, then 1 of 2, and then it resets again to 0 because we gain a point)

On a related topic why when I check the skills of my familiar, mine is displayed instead? it could be useful to see how many steps I still need to make it gain a point!

By the way, speaking about skill bonuses, have you thought to display them in a different way, that is, not summing them directly but showing both the skill value with and without bonuses (the second in parenthesis)?

First: many of my parent skills indicate skill maximum 99. I think this is a new effect: I installed patch 49 but I continued with a game started more or less with patch 40, and I don't recall I saw it before.

Have you used Patch 48 for one or more turns? If so your game is and will be broken! (I have the same problemes with the 99 because of using the Patch 48 for some time with my game)

"needed for next level 1 of 1". Just says you haved trained the skill when it was needing more then just 1 step and then you improved your attribute. So you still need to train this skill 1 time to get to the next level. (I even haved 2 of 1 or more in my games)

The thing about the Familiar is a known issue but so fare we dont know when it will get fixed.

Fortis;

Unfortunately, Schwarzbart is correct- please do not use Patch 48 (instead, use Patch 49, which made some corrections to how Maximums are displayed in the game.)

As for familiars, Schwarzbart is also correct here- there are a variety of ways to solve the issue in the code, but each has a problem. We haven't determined yet which will be the best way to solve it, although I think we will make a correction in Year 1.

For Skill Bonuses, we have talked about that- we like your suggestion because it is nice and clear, but we have some concerns about space available. We may do something here, though.

Thanks!

First of all, thanks for the answers! I hadn't considered the attribute increasing for the "needed to next level", it makes sense!

Regarding the 99 problem, actually I don't think having used patch 48. I jumped directly from patch 42 to patch 49...

But does it mean that if I start a new character, I will have the same problem? (I guess I cannot recover the current game, can I?)

I imagined that the familiar issue was already mentioned somewhere (it's a very noticeable bug) but I wanted to tell "just in case" :)

What about regarding the strange "skill maximum" indications I get?

in a couple of cases (in my case, archeology and revision methods) I can read the following: skill maximum 11 (due to Research), skill level at maximum - but I have only 10!

Also, in some cases, while I have reached the skill maximum, it still displays the "needed for next level" indication (yes, not considering the modifications due to bonuses).

I'm having the same thing with my parent skills showing a possible 99 or more if they have a boost. All of them and I did a new install and a new game with DLC 11.

Also having problems with any location that is supposed to give more than one step in single skill they only give me 1. Noticed it first with the Academy Kitchen but as far as I can see its all of the ones that should give more than one advance.

Also have an issue when I try to reload I get a error message "System error occurred. Application will be terminated" It dosent happen when I first load only when I reload. Also it dosent actually close the program just that window.

I'm using windows 7 64 bit. I may try it later on XP 32 bit but haven't yet.

Edit: Should I copy this post and put it in DLC 11 bugs post too.

Fortis and Littlejohn;

Ah! I see the issue now- it appears for Parent Skills as you noted. This is part of a compromise in progress related to how Parent Skills are calculated, which I hope will be cleared up in Patch 51 or 52. What is happening is that Parent Skills actually have no Maximum (since they are derived from their Sub-Skills) and the game is displaying that truth. Instead, it should be displaying the Maximum value derived from the Maximums of the Sub-Skills- we'll sort that out. Sorry for the confusion, I thought you were seeing an older issue. :)

The Skill Maximum messages related to Archaeology and Revision Methods *should* be cleared up by Patch 49. Skill Steps needed was changed in Patch 49 to better show you the actual needs to level- so even if you are above your Maximum due to Increases and other Bonuses, you should see the correct Skill Steps needed.

For the Skill Step issue- you can only gain as many Skill Steps as will take you to the next Skill Level, so if you would normally gain more, the excess will be lost.

The error message is a known issue, but one difficult to pin down. We ourselves have been unable to replicate it. :(

I suspect that it is related to your cache, so you may want to try this:

1) Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Academagia and delete your Cache folder (ProgramData is a hidden folder, so you may need to turn options on to view it.)

2) Navigate to your Academagia\Mods game folder and the delete the GCC folder you find inside.

3) Run AMTempFilesCleaner.exe (found in the latest Patch)

...I believe this will remove that message.

Thanks!

Thank you!

By the way, what do you mean by "compromise in progress related to how parent skills are calculated"?

I though the computation of the parent skill value was quite straightforward... (lowest of the three highest subksills, then add bonuses). Are you planning to change it?

Archived