Black Chicken Studios Forums

DLC 13 Bug Topic

Draigh

Eidetic Memory (Memorization - 11) perk gives expand 2 study of choice of class, I don't think it works?

Anecdote (Befriend 2) and Meek (Temperance 10) seems extremely similar, The only difference being that Meek expands relationship vs 3x hostile characters while Anecdote is everyone. Is the difference worth 8 levels?

Long Stride (Running 4) says your "rolls" have increased by 1 (implying Bonus) while the actual effect is Running skill increase.

Same issue with Eyes in the Back of Your Head (Competition 2)

Same issue with Message Muscles (Athletics Study 5)

Same issue with Prowess (Athletics 11)

Note that Extra Wind (Athletics Study 8) says bonus to rolls and actually is bonus to rolls

Study Mastery Athletics (Athletics study 10) says +1 vitality, when you really mean +1 vitality maximum

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if it's on purpose but Cyrus seems to be genderblind when using courteus gestures.I have seen him using it on both Durand and Rui, and while Olivia's reaction might be fun to watch I am not really sure he is supposed to do that. He also uses his familiar - produtive play (I think it is named such) which works on males as well all though its description seems to hint that it is supposed to work on only girls.

Actually it is more funny than an issue, because of the people I am informed of it tends to be only Cyrus who actually uses the gender restricted option and currently a lot more harmless than say be sneak-cliqued on the first day by Phillipe (which is not really a bug I guess, but somebody allready brought that up in the suggestion thread).

And I was a bit unsure wherever to report this because I can't remember the adventures name, but I think it had something to do with 'picture', but a specific adventure in which the player character starts in the glamour proffessors office, then wants to see an airship and then helps the members on the airship finding something things for I think it was repair. After buying some stuff my characters is suddenly at place where they meet the Platypus (even if it is not the familiar my character have)and that happens when ever I try to redo the quest. Am I the only one this has happen to?

I'm currently performing an experiment with combining chance of success buffs.

I had my character with base Enchant 9 cast 6th finger enhanced with the Enhance Pheme (Enchant +1, difficulty 2) and with Flawless (+1 Chance of Success; +3 difficulty) several times. The casting order was as follows:

6th Finger + 3x Enhance (Difficulty 9) - Enchant skill now 14

6th Finger + 5x Enhance (Difficulty 13) - Enchant skill now 21

6th Finger + 9x Enhance (Difficulty 21) - Enchant skill now 32

All spells cast successfully.

Using my Enchant skill of 32, I cast the following spells:

6th Finger with 9x Flawless (Difficulty 30)

Those all seemed to work well; I haven't had a failure in the first iteration. However, when I went to cast a second round of those spells:

I would very regularly fail to cast them despite them being green spells, and with a bonus +27% chance of success. After reloading enough to get all three to cast, I again cast

And failed ~2/3 of the rolls despite having an enchant of over 40 with a chance of success buff of over 54%.

I noticed that during adventures, I did not seem to be failing green checks, so this behavior seems to be triggered during spell casting.

For reference, I used the most recent patch I could find on these forums - Patch 68 that came in "Academagia_Consolidated_Patch_112911.zip"

If you want save games of this happening, let me know and I can provide them.

Also, as long as I'm here, how does chance of success work? As far as I understand it, difficulty rolls are Skill + RandInt(0...2xStat) must be greater than or equal to difficulty. Do you break the odds of that down into a percentage and then add chance of success linearly with values over 100% indicating success?

So something like Skill = 5, Stat = 4, Difficulty = 7 would be

Roll between 0-8, add 5, beat/equal 7, so roll 2+ succeeds

0, 1, fail

2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 succeed

7/9 chance of success or 77.78% chance of success

Do we then add Chance of Success buffs to that linearly? So 2% more Chance of Success from backgrounds would make it 79.78% to succeed?

Thank you for your time.

Dirk;

That definitely does not sound correct- unless you have a Chance of Failure, your Enchantment Skill alone should be enough guarantee success on the Spells. I'd like to look at your 3rd save, if you could pm me a RapidShare link!

As to the Chances, they are actually independent of the Roll itself. If you have a 2% CoS, then that's checked first, and then, only if it is not successful, will it check the Roll.

Here's the Rapidshare link:

https://rapidshare.com/files/1449367982/Flawless_Pheme_CoS_Bug.ams

On further review, I think the issue might be the Flawless pheme itself, rather than any Chance of Success bug. I read its description, and it looks like it was marketed as a sort of "Wonder Pheme" by a shady individual. It also says that it only might increase chance of success. Perhaps there's a hidden Chance of Failure for spells? Or perhaps there's a chance for it to give a Chance of Failure?

By chance, do you happen to have updated links to the Mod Tools and accompanying databases? I checked the Mod Tools thread on the forum, but the Rapidshare links are dead. I'd like to create and test out a pure Chance of Success pheme and see what happens.

Is there a way for a player to view Chance of Success in-game?

Dirk;

Thanks! I ran some tests earlier today, and the CoS bonus provided by Flawless *appears* to be working correctly, but the behavior described doesn't sound right. We'll see if we can close this issue in DLC 15 in any event.

The Mod Base will come out with DLC 15, and we'll refresh the AMO link at that time. In the mean time, there might be a copy floating out there, but I'm not sure.

The Player Client can't view CoS, no.

Thanks again!

Edit: I wasn't able to load this save- can you tell me which DLC you used? Additionally, did you use any other Mods? Thanks!

I used the "Saints and Strangers" DLC. If it helps, I started the game on Windows XP and continued it on Windows Vista. The save loads fine on both computers. I originally obtained the game through Impulse, and downloaded the DLC from this forum as stated in an earlier post. If you can't load the save, I could very easily have something messed up on my end.

I can also try uploading a different file if the above information does not help.

My process for patching the game was:

Download from Impulse

Unzip file Academagia_Consolidated_Patch_112911.zip

Copy contents of above file directly into Academagia folder, choosing to replace all files.

Dirk;

Thanks! That's the correct procedure, and beginning the game on XP shouldn't make any difference. To confirm: you did not begin your game, and then, subsequently patch?

In any event, let me send the save over to the Coding Team- maybe they will note something that I've missed. In the mean time, whenever convenient, pm me a link for save #1, if you would.

Thanks again. :)

It turns out that I might have had one computer (XP computer where the character was created) operating on the wrong version of the program. The DLC was still present, but some of the other files weren't replace properly, and that might be causing the issue. I think when I told it to copy/paste/overwrite, it didn't fully overwrite all of the contents. I will download the application from Impulse again, and patch it (making sure that everything is replaced). I will then create a new character, rerun my test, and see if everything works. Hopefully I'll be able to report back tomorrow.

Edit:

After redownloading and repatching the game, I was able to open up the save and still saw the bug. Will commence testing on a fresh save started with a fresh download ASAP.

As per my previous post, I downloaded the game fresh off of Impulse, downloaded the latest DLC fresh off of the forums, and individually deleted and replaced the files such that I was certain that all files modified by the DLC were from the DLC and not from the original installation.

I then started a new game, checking the Saints and Strangers DLC box. I went through about half of the game year, and conducted my test right around the time when midterms were being administered.

I cast 3x 6th finger with Enhance phemes as detailed earlier, and then cast a number of 6th finger spells with 9xFlawless phemes (because exams were being administered, I did not always get 3 casts per day).

My first failure occurred after I had cast 4x 6th finger spells with 9x flawless (36% chance of success from Flawless + 2% from backgrounds (Shattered Mirrors + Comet) as well as +1 Glory). I attempted to cast 3 6th finger spells and failed the second one. The next day (now with 54% chance of success from Flawless and 2% from backgrounds and +1 Glory) I failed 3 6th finger spells in a row.

At this point, my Enchant skill is well over 40, and the difficulty is only 30, so there is no way that I should fail these spells short of Flawless actually providing a chance of failure.

One other issue that I noticed is that I attempted to raise my Familiar's Wit skill up to 6 in order to get +3 to my own wit skill.

After raising all of his Bond subskills up to 6, and his wit skill up to 6, I was still failing Wit checks vs a difficulty of 13 (The Sphinx). From what I understand, familiars are supposed to give 1/2 of their skill values to their master as a bonus, so I should not have ever failed Sphinx checks with 10 character Wit and 6 familiar Wit (with 6 Bond).

I do do a lot of saving and reloading, but I do make new save files every time that I save. Despite that, I still got a crash at one point on reloading and attempting to fill in a field with a skill.

The save can be found here: https://rapidshare.com/files/2956055810/Erk_Flawless_Failure.ams

One issue that I could see is that the Impulse download comes with Consolidated Patch 60 downloaded, while I patched up to 68. I did not remove the patch 60 files, except when they were replaced by the patch 68 files. Do you want me to give you a list of all files in my Academagia directory? It could be an issue with the Impulse distribution.

Also, when it comes to Chance of Success and Chance of failure, are they two separate rolls, or is failure subtracted from success? (Meaning that if I had 10% success and 5% failure, would I make 2 rolls at 10% and 5%, or one roll at (10-5)%?)

Dirk;

Thanks, I am going to check this out now!

I feel confident you have ruled out any conflict between patching with your method.

Regarding Familiar Skills- it should operate as you describe, barring some large CoF, which seems doubtful in your case. We'll have a look at your save.

CoS and CoF are independent from one another, and I think CoS is checked first. Could be wrong about the precedence, though!

Thanks again!

Edit: It's very strange- I cannot open your save game at all. Could you do a quick test, and create a new game, saving it immediately at the first opportunity? I would like to see that save, if possible. In the mean time, I'll send this on to the Coding Team. We may request a specific GCC folder from you as well.

Thanks!

I've created a zip file of two saves - one created on day 1 with the Saints and Strangers DLC, and one created on day 1 without any DLC. I have also included the GCC. I have PMed you the link.

If I've trained my familiar to give me skills, should the bonus show up in the skills tab? I was seeing no bonus appear in the skills tab on the left side of the screen.

I should also mention that the main reason that I suspect Flawless giving a chance of failure in my case is that the more Flawless phemes that I stacked, the more difficult it was to get successful spellcasts off. With 0 Flawless phemes, I had no difficulty firing off spells.

Are there any other files that you would be interested in from my Academagia directory?

Dirk;

For the moment, I think this is what we need. I don't believe that the Familiar Bonus appears in Skills bonus tooltip, though.

Thanks, let me give these a try...

Edit: This is very strange behavior. There is something off about your GCC. It's named correctly, it has the right files, but my Client cannot load it. Nor can I load your +DLC Save (the NoDLC Save I am able to load, but it also requires no GCC to build.)

It seems like we can rule out an installation problem, but there seems to be some issue with how your game is created which we need to investigate. For the moment, I'll send your files over to the Coding Team and see if they can detect anything which might explain the issue. They are presently working on a Secret Project, but I'll try and prioritize at least the triage.

Thanks for the files!

Archived