Black Chicken Studios Forums

Question about Mod Compatibility

Tallgeese

Something does not quite make sense to me in regards to the idea that mods are future-proof.

Say I make a mod from a ModBase. This mod is then synced against the AMO, which is the base official content.

How exactly is it ensured that bug fixes to whatever DLC is in the ModBase are carried over? Say the latest ModBase, containing up to DLC 15, was released on June 1st, but in July 1st a patch to fix issues in DLC 15 content was released.

Since mods are typically loaded "after" official content, which presumably includes patches, won't the buggy content still in the ModBase (and thus carried into the mod) override the patch and re-break the game?

Tallgeese;

I'm not quite clear on your question, but let me speak out on the general principles of modding as I think your question is probably bound up in it:

Mods only override one another if they change the same thing. In these kinds of cases, the Mod which is loaded last overrides any others which came before. In the case of a Mod which has added something new, it carries through no matter what position it occupied in the load order.

Did that help? :)

Thank you for trying to answer my question. Let me try to restate it, I get what you ahve said so far.

When you start a game, you have the DLC in the load order at the top.

I remember reading on this forum that mods that are placed underneath the DLC in the load order override what is in it if they conflict.

Most mods nowadays are made using a ModBase, which includes a snapshot of the DLC. The mods are synchronized against the AMO, which I understand as being DLC-less base content.

What I'm asking is, what happens if some bugs in the DLC are found way later and are patched out? Don't old mods, using the old snapshot Modbase, include the buggy DLC content?

If this is true, since mods are supposed to be loaded after the DLC, won't older mods reintroduce the bugs? Basically, overriding the bugfixed content with the old buggy versions?

Tallgeese;

Ah, thanks for the clarifications.

You are right except for one thing: it's not necessary for Mods to be loaded later than DLC. It's good practice to do so where you can, but it's not required.

As you know, all Mods are based on a ModBase, and later ModBases will undoubtedly have corrections that the earlier did not. In these cases, you would want your Mod to be loaded earlier in the order, so that the changes made in later DLC are used. If you are creating new options (as I believe you are), they will carry forward no matter where in the load order your Mod is. If your Mod is changing things, it only becomes a problem if the later DLC change the same thing. Possible, although unlikely in the Backgrounds.

Did that answer your question? :)

The most time-consuming part is double-checking that each familiar selection has all the "you can't pick this if you picked any other familiar!" prerequisites. That and adding them manually.

Which is made worse by the fact I don't have a ModBase with the Platypus in it... Can I just add a blank "Familiar Bond: Platypus" entry and count on the DLC overwriting it?

In addition, my Modbase does not have Hedgehog and Procupine... For those, can I just add Effects of "Add Needleshanks" and "Add Ingelvine", and also hope that the DLC will overwrite them with the proper information?

Tallgeese;

For these, you can just leave them out- new content, such as the Platypus, will simply overwrite. I'm surprised to hear that your ModBase does not have Needleshanks and Ingenivine in it, though, as they are from the original game and have been present in all Mod Bases since that time! I'm not quite sure what will happen- but in this case it's unlikely to overwrite.

Oh wait, you're right, the Hedgehog and Porcupine ARE there. I just missed them since it's a decently-sized list. Whoops.

Out of curiosity (regarding Platypus), does the Familiar selection menu let you pick more than one if the prereqs forbidding it are missing? That's mainly what I'm trying to avoid, someone accidentally choosing multiple Familiars.

Hello again, Legate.

It has come to my attention that you will be taking backgrounds into consideration for events in Year 2. With this in mind, I wondered if it's possible to do this:

Step 1) Use a mod's Familiar Bond to add a familiar.

Step 2) As an additional effect, add the regular background of Familiar Bond: Exotic, without rolling for an actual familiar. I notice that Add under Effects allows you to go Character->Self->Selection of Ability->Background->Familiar Bond: Exotic. Will this do it?

Step 3) Remove the modded Familiar Bond ability from the character, so it is left with Familiar Bond: Exotic.

Ah, a much requested mod- we've looked at doing it before, but it really adds a lot of options to the Familiar Category. Still, if you know what you want, it's great to have. :)

How about making a new page between "What sort of Familiar do you have?" and "What have you packed for your journey?" that list all the exotic familiar, but they will be grey out if the Familiar Bond: Exotic is not ticked on the previous page?

Nyaa;

Excellent idea, although no guarantees for Year 1! ;)

Tall;

I'm not quite sure I understand your meaning- if your question is about the import from Year 1 to Year 2, you don't need to be concerned about how you have gained your Familiar. The game will simply look to see which Familiar you have and proceed.

If that answered your question?

I heard that it checked the backgrounds you have for events/endings and so on.

So I thought it might wonder what's going on if it sees a background of "Familiar Bond: Faux Dragon" instead of "Familiar Bond: Exotic".

By the way, is there a way to check what backgrounds you have while playing the game? I didn't notice one.

Tallgeese;

Ah, I see your concern- I strongly doubt that there will be a check for Exotic Familiar. I'm fairly sure that they might check for a certain kind of familiar, but not that overall Background Type.

You can, right now, set up Prerequisites for Backgrounds (it's under Ability, then under Background Type)- some fan-created Events already have triggers for these, in fact.

Archived