Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

Some might be going back to a family business, or starting a family, or seeking employment as a court wizard. Or become the harbingers of doom. Or Heroes or just simple crooks because their grades suck and/or they arn't satisfied with the options provided through legal means.

Pinky: Gee Brain, what do you wanna do tonight?

Brain: The same thing we do EVERY night, try to take over the World!

• 1 month later...

Next negative Experience for me regarding Kickstarter games is Elite Dangerous from Frontier Developments.

Thy cut the for me important DRM free offline play (now only online Solo Play and Multiplayer on the same server) ~ 1 Month before release and now refuse to give any refund to the Kickstarter Backer

Kickstarter pledges are an investment into a project, with the understanding that elements of the initial pitch may change or be removed as development progresses.

The cancellations and returns policy on our site states that digital products are non-refundable once they are downloaded and played by the customer. As such, we are unable to offer you a refund on this purchase.

I’m sorry that we cannot assist you further in this instance.

Sincerely,

Support

23 months into a 24 month development cycle the developers realized that a feature they very specifically had repeatedly agreed on adding before they could start development wasn't possible within their (always-on DRM, advertisement and micro-transaction-ridden) vision of the third(?) game in a series that had thus far always had the feature included...even the version with no hardware available beyond that which can be found within a Commodore 64.

This is why I prefer to call it Scamstarter. Because really, even I can see the writing on that wall. It never ceases to amaze me how often paid professionals get away with stuff that, had I done it back when I was still studying programming, would have gotten me expelled.

Yeah, overall, I'm just not that impressed with kickstarter. While some things on it are enough to perk my interest, I've never been fond of the idea of paying for something that doesn't exist yet. (Well, sequels of well loved games can be an exception ;) ) It's like if you wanted to buy bricks, do you buy them before they'r made, sight unseen, where any of a hundred things can go wrong? (molds break down, bad clay, machinery breaks, theft, etc, etc). Or do you simply buy them after all of that could take place?

It's adding a lot of risk for little benefit for the end consumer. Sure, some neat things might not have been made otherwise, but can you honestly say that the world would have been any worse off if said things had never existed? It's debatable but any good is easily cancelled by all the bad.

I have to admit, with some exceptions, I haven't gotten everything I wanted from Kickstarter, too. There have been some pretty brilliant results, but you do have to look at your pledge as a risk, that's for certain.

It doesn't stop me from investing, but I do tend to pledge at a lower level now, unless I am really excited. ;)

I personally do still think it is much more good than bad, though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And suddenly an overbearing publisher doesn't sound...actually, overbearing publisher don't have a reputation for releasing games in a complete or even just playable state, so in the end they're actually not much better than the team leader deciding that fraud is more lucrative than actually working.

Never mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Harebrained Schemes want to start a other Kickstarter tomorrow this time for Shadowrun Hongkong.

I personal are very interested in watching how successful this project will become as some voices blame the lack of money going to Kickstarter in the gaming sector of 2014 on the lack of big projects.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With Pillars of Eternity all the money I gave into Kickstarter projects paid of with just this one single game as it gives me back the feeling of the old Baldurs Gate games.

Sure I only played a few hours now so I can't be sure it continue like this but so fare it is one of the best games I played in years.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived