Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

@ Albert confirmed only 3 one have returned the money the other not. But some didn't put out a update for months or even years now and one is available for non backer for ~2 years now but some backer i.e. me never got it. Beside that all are at last 1 year past the promised delivery date.

Beside 3 projects that are still open to deliver I have written off my money for the rest with the result I complete stopped to back anything at Kickstarter because the risk is not worth it even on projects that deliver as many times you also have to pay more then someone who can wait for few month after release. IMHO given the not small chance of a complete failure, buy a pig in a poke (even the delivered games where mostly not what was promised) and late delivery by years the video gaming projects would need to give a 50% discount compared to release price at Kickstarter to cover up for the risk.

That's the thing about Kickstarters and venture capital, you never know what you get. But one thing is almost always certain, there will be delays, often lots of them. And ofcourse, a known product is always the safest investment. The thing about Kickstarter projects is that you can consider them more of a charity to help "people" or a project that might meen a lot to you. But you arn't entitled to a good payout if it succeeds unlike other investment forms where you might get a split of the potential profit or even company.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the thing about Kickstarters and venture capital, you never know what you get. But one thing is almost always certain, there will be delays, often lots of them. And ofcourse, a known product is always the safest investment. The thing about Kickstarter projects is that you can consider them more of a charity to help "people" or a project that might meen a lot to you. But you arn't entitled to a good payout if it succeeds unlike other investment forms where you might get a split of the potential profit or even company.

If you don't expect anything in return from a Gaming Kickstarter you could as well go out of your house and give the next person that cross your path the money, the chance something positiv comes along is then greater. There sure Kickstarter where you could think of them as charity but at last for me projects around gaming are for sure not belong there. I did Kickstarter backing for a time because I hoped that some game genre where you would otherwise find no new games get something new. But when Steam opened the floodgates one could see that there other developer working on similar games who don't come around to beg for money at Kickstarter & Co.

31 projects so far

3 failed funding goal

6 dead in the water

4 games so bad, it's better not made

1 games hopefully will be good

10 delivered, okay quality to very good

2 KDM that have good records

Darkest dungeon, Rimworld, Kingdom Death Monsters (both), Risk of Rain, Divinity, and Sui Generis are about the only worthwhile find. I find the more i paid the less likely the project is successful. :/

Zero;

I never pledged to Kingdom Death, but I always wanted to try that game. Otherwise, I have Darkest Dungeon, Rimworld and Divinity in my list. ;)

Make sure you have a good size table and playing area before you get it. Otherwise things will be very confusing. Also, can't even win Darkest Dungeon with cheats; like RNG really?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

https://kotaku.com/why-video-games-cost-so-much-to-make-1818508211

A nice article about the costs of making a game, even if the numbers are just a rough estimate it makes clear why so many Kickstarter projects got silent or actual said the development have stopped.

I think such a article would be great when the Gaming sector at Kickstarter was becoming big many years back as then it would be very obvious that $10k get you nowhere. 

• 9 months later...

Got my Hero-U Key :) Maybe that is even one of the games that can make it to the similar games as it is a Adventure game about the live of a rogue at a university. Sadly I still have to wait for the official release at steam before I realy can say if it is a similar game.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/375440/HeroU_Rogue_to_Redemption/

• 2 months later...

Kickstarter has been hit and miss with me, but I don't regret my time with it. I've had more failed projects than successes, but i've had one (maybe two) run off with the money. Overall though some really great games came out of kickstarter that make it all worth it.

So I thought i'd make a list of some successful kickstarter games that have released. Some you will probably recognize, but a few smaller gems too I think people might like. 

Project successes (in no particular order) that I am happy about:

Warmachine: Tactics- Not as fleshed out as hoped, but an honest to god turn based adaption of the war machine universe is a dream come true. 

Kingdom (TTRPG)- A tabletop rpg game from Lame Mage studios, the makers of the GMless tabletop game microscope. This game is an excercise in world building, and tasks the players (2-5, no GM) with creating and guiding a colony through its troubled history. 

The Fall- One of my favorites here, its a side  scrolling adventure game where you play as an AI named ARID who is tasked with protecting her unconscious human pilot by operating his suit and bringing him to safety. Has some wonky puzzles, but the story is fantastic and even has a sequel now.

Kingdom Come Deliverance- Probably doesn't need an introduction, but a first person historical RPG that leans more toward historical accuracy than fun gameplay, but I enjoyed the story and the combat mechanics were interesting. Looking forward to the DLC incoming. 

Consortium- Oh boy so this is a weird one, but since we like games like acadamagia this will probably fit right in. So in this game you play as, well you. In the "present day? you sign up with International Games (The game devs of consortium) who have developed a satellite that will beam your consciousness through space and time to wake up in an alternate dimension in the body of someone else. You wake up on the plane in the alternate future of the year 2042, and almost as soon as you wake up a murder happens and the fun begins. There is way too much to unpack here, there is an ARG, the entire game happens in "real time" where events move forward with or without you, and there are so many decisions to make its not funny. Its not a perfect game, but it is so unique that you just have to try it. The development approach is that of an "immersive sim" just in a super condensced format as the entire game is localized to a single airplane. Has a sequel in development.

Massive Chalice- From Double Fine, the makers of Psychonauts and Brutal legend. This was a project led by a subset of the studio separate from the development of Broken Age. In this game you play as an immortal king, summoned to lead generations of heroes into battle to stop a growing demonic threat that is killing the planet. The game is turn based and plays like a medieval XCOM. You can influence and marry heroes to change the stats of entire bloodlines of heroes in order to fight the threat. It's a pretty flawed game (you will only get like one or two plays with a single hero before they die of old age), but it has a beautiful art style and I had a blast with it. Not to mention the massive chalice was a hilarious and fun character.

Void Destroyer- A fun arcadey space sim. It's an rts/flight sim that has you leading a flotilla ambushed and damaged to victory. Pretty simple, but being able to directly pilot eveything from fighters to capital ships is a blast. Has a sequel.

Satellite Reign- A spiritual successor to syndicate, you lead a cybernetic squad of  goons through corporate espionage and warfare. RTS gameplay in a beautiful cyberpunk city, open ended objectives with no hand holding. Wasn't my cup of tea, but an interesting game for those who don't mind open ended games with little guidance. 

Chroma Squad- A game where you get to play as a manger to a Power Rangers style tv show. A simple TBS game that uses the bouncy nature of sentai combat to have surprisingly mobile combat. Everything is themed after running a studio, so your team starts with cardboard armor and you upgrade as you go. Pretty simple, but if you like Sentai its a treat. 

Rimworld-  Oh Rimworld, what do I say about you? Here you manage a gaggle of survivors from a crash landing and create a colony. Hilarity ensues. Often compared as a simpler and prettier dwarf fortress. I highly recommend it. 

Rainworld- Play as a slugcat on an alien world that must hunt for food so it can hibernate before the deadly rains come. Gameplay is physics based, and full of fantastical monster looking to eat you. Difficult as hell. Recommended if you don't get frustrated easily.

Hero Generations- Another game with a generations theme. A turn based exploration game. The goal here is to cultivate a hero through the generations capable of taking on the big bad demon lord. You start in the same town each generation, and must do your best to level up, gather treasure, and survive to marry and start the next run. pretty simple, but a fun concept. 

Nefarious- Ever played mario, or megaman, or metroid and wanted to play as one of those huge bosses for once? Well in nefarious YOU play as the big bad boss and must go forth to capture all the princesses in the world for your evil plan. Normal gameplay is a simple platformer, but with the twist that in every boss battle YOU play as the boss fighting the hero. Delightfully hammy and full of charm. I recommend this one for sure. 

The Flame in the Flood- A procedural generated survival game. You must travel a post apocalyptic world down a river with nothing but your rickety raft and trusty dog for company. Survive everything from dangerous animals, sickness, and starvation. It has a interesting art style but the highlight has to be the music. 

BONUS SHOUT OUT: 

So one of the games I was following had a failed kickstarter, but is still in development. The game is called Flagship, and it is a space strategy game played entirely in first person. It looks like a wonderful game and a first person ship command game is my jam. Be sure to check out their website to follow progress.

Checking my KS page once again I found out that a other project I backed have official pulled the plug. 

Limited Theory Informed that they will release the unfinished source code and this is it.

Hero-U also have now a sale at steam that looks like it is below what backer have paid years ago only ~3 Months after its release.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Shadowrun Chronicles, a former Kickstarter MMO, will close its server at the 30. Nov according to a official message in the forum.

So if you own this game but never got around playing it or its expansion there is only limited time left to do so.

The reason appears that they didn't earn enough money to extend the Licence they bought from Microsoft.

• 1 month later...

To quote from Hanako Games: "Development on Magical Diary: Wolf Hall has been continuing! We are currently planning to run a Kickstarter for the game starting on January 12, 2019. Mark the date in order to take advantage of the early bird offers! There will be special discounts for the first backers, as well as many interesting custom possibilities for the hardcore fans. Always been annoyed that you couldn't ask your favorite minor character to go to the Ball with you? Well, there might be a way..."

I will be looking forward to this kickstarter, unless Black Chicken Studios has a major update about Y2. Which I hope it does.

Archived