Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd recommend The Ur-Quan Masters if you're looking for a space exploration game. It's even more low-tech than Daggerfall (literally, the latter has mouse support!) and everything that comes with it, but it's a complete game (which the perpetual 0.7.0 version wouldn't indicate, but...*shrugs*), open-source and not offering subscriptions, $30 T-shirts and ingame ships for I don't even know how much money after generating two orders of magnitude more money than was thought necessary.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22331-star-citizen.aspx

I know it's been "mentioned", but this is more relevant with Annabelle "Poo" Huxley around. I highly suggest you read this, regardless of what you may think of the game. This is getting bewildering.

Oh for...flute's sake <_<. I'd say that's worth an IP ban/Exile, but on the other side we can let it sit there as a reminder of Scam Citizen. Legate's call.

And yeah, if you think the name is amazing just wait until you watch their in-game introduction. Still one of the better "this is the villain, be afraid" moments I can remember from games that formerly introduce their villain.

I wonder why this person follow into spambot footsteps. Its actual hurt SC more then it ever can help it.

As far I know the last 2 concept sale brought again lot of money to RSI so I serious doubt its someone linked to members of RSI.

But if she is someone doing this on her own then why she didn't give her Referal to get the rewards for manage to find new buyer?

"A lot" of money doesn't mean "enough" money, and past a certain point people can't comprehend the ever-higher sums so things can get a bit screwy. Besides which, when you're employed by frauds you generally don't have as much to worry about with following strict rules, regulations and paperwork in order to get a cut.

Alternatively (s?)he's actually a detractor personally running a fairly clever and false flag operation.

The reason why I think this is not financed by RSI is that RSI have lot of video at Youtube, current a free play for all event running and new people buying a start packet gain a extra 5k UEC if using a Referral code from a other buyer but nothing of this was mentioned in her posting.

The reason why I think this is not financed by RSI is that RSI have lot of video at Youtube, current a free play for all event running and new people buying a start packet gain a extra 5k UEC if using a Referral code from a other buyer but nothing of this was mentioned in her posting.

If she is here to advertise the game, not posting referral is more effective. Just like if I sign up and talk about kimchi and a specific brand of fish sauce versus actually posting a referral code for buying fish sauce. (I am not here to sell fish sauce :ph34r: )

I am biased against the game, however, since my cousin had a fight with his boyfriend over the increasing amount of money spend on the game without letting my cousin knew. And I strongly disapprove of games that engage in plagiarism.

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22331-star-citizen.aspx

I know it's been "mentioned", but this is more relevant with Annabelle "Poo" Huxley around. I highly suggest you read this, regardless of what you may think of the game. This is getting bewildering.

That forum thread seemed to contain a lot of crap, like that Youtube video where the movie maker inputs the data then pulls out the HTML source for the page shown containing the inputted data and claims it's official RSI customer service labeling of customers. Also, putting Derek Smart in that context just makes it far worse given his unreasonable toxisity and past career.

As for the release dates, it seems reasonable that they expanded the scope of the project with the vastly greater influx of support than they had anticipated. It's inevitable that such a change in scope would increase the production time even if you expand the staff, even if you got more staff creating content and art you would still have to add it into the game and bug test it and beat the buggs out.

I guess we will know more about the PU in two years time, I heard they intend to release SQ42, the first of two or three singleplayer games. Then later the PU game will happen, right now there is mostly an alpha testbed with characters running about, some different clothing, space suits and combat armours and weapons you can buy for money earned in game. a dozzen flyable ships and a few short demo test missions that earns you some in-game Alpha gamepay currency.

I don't think it's a scam but I guess the quality of the end product remains to be seen. As always.

One of the biggest gripes a few of the early backers had was that they changed the time plan and hired hundreds of people to expand the plan, content and features for the game. Which inevitable will make the game take more time to get out the door.

There is plenty enough to indicate new features and content is being added and tested. New ships are made flight ready etz to be tested in the Alpha test environment.

It's one of three Kickstarters that I've actually supported.

I'm hoping for the best. I don't think RSI needs to pay people to be hyped about the game, I know Anabelle makes quite a few posts on the RSI forum, it's just a very excited backer/fan. Sometimes some fans backfire like when their favrite ship which is the one they picked as backer reward turned out to be a dissapointment in their mind. Like a cheap pirate ship that was supposed to do everything turned out to not be the best at everything :P

Sometimes those disgruntled backers start throwing around a lot of crap. Like Derek Smart, a minor and mostly failed B or C grade game developer who demanded that Star Citizen should be handed over to him for 1 million dollar because he deserved it and and he thoguht he would do a better job. :P He got super agressive after they sent him his backer money back and closed down his known accounts. Now he's mostly talking trash and threatening to Sue RSI/CIG for whatever it is. I wouldn't have given a single dollar if he had been the name on the Kickstarter, I was kind of interested in his early atempts at Battlecruiser 3000AD, but it never lived up to it's promices. Maybe he's hurt because someone else is trying to do what he failed to do. Maybe he's upset because someone else is getting backer money for a genre that he thinks is his and his alone.

Anyway, enough of that. Backing a game is a free choice, or backing anything else for that matter.

:blink: This Derek Smart person sounds even worse than Annabelle (this marks the "third" time I encounter her, god's sake), hit and run advertisement is more rude than harmful. Why is he getting so much attention anyway?

The game actually sounds exciting on paper, but I just can't trust them with my money when I see plagiarism and constant sales. So I personally just hope it launch and is received well.

:blink: This Derek Smart person sounds even worse than Annabelle (this marks the "third" time I encounter her, god's sake), hit and run advertisement is more rude than harmful. Why is he getting so much attention anyway?

The game actually sounds exciting on paper, but I just can't trust them with my money when I see plagiarism and constant sales. So I personally just hope it launch and is received well.

The Banu merchantman on the picture in that thread doesn't exist in that other game, the concept artists were clearly inspired by certain moods or coloring or a certain feel when they designed it. It's concept art and it's not a rip off. A lot of game developers looks at other art when pickign a direction or style or mood, then from that they draw their own concept. Least I havn't seen a Banu merchantman in that other game so it's not plagiarism. Usually game companies don't show this early design art, they just show the finnished product when it's in full 3D. It's probable that the inspiration was for the background backdrop to place the ship in.

As for constant sales, most companies does that, they keep selling their product as long as people are willign to pay for it. They claim it's all going into the continued development and maintaining servers and will continue to do so.

If people want to buy a basic package or more or not at all then that's their choice, they arn't forcing anyone. It would be like telling Blizzard to stop selling World of Warcraft or it's expansions, because they began selling it years ago.

After it's released in full with possible new episodes to SQ42 I expect them to keep selling their game and charge people money for buying it. And keep paying Google for the cloud servers so players can play in their persistent universe.

I just hope they can deliver, there is a lot of assets for them to add before the full game is here.

I couldn't resist this one. I always found those old wisdom tree games for the NES to be atrocious, yet, I find myself oddly fascinated by this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1549719931/the-arkade-a-classic-christian-video-game-plug-and?ref=nav_search

Perhaps the reason why is because I find it shocking that they're still around, and also because they're still mimicking nintendo stuff after all these years. I'm equally repulsed and awed by that kickstarter, since nintendo had only just revealed that they were going to release a preloaded mini NES not too long ago.

It's not an in-game asset. But rather concept art, which has been shown during the open development phase. In most companies they start with concept and it's not uncommon for an artist to say, I'm thinking of a style somewhere between Firefly and Alien, followed up with them showing the dev tem pictures of Alien and Firefly frames and asset. To convey their idea before they have actually created their own piece.

The concept arts arn't imported into the game. After the concept art direction meets final approval, usualy after several iterations and plenty of feedback and requests for changes a completely new phase commences where the Whilte boxing and Grayboxing starts where the assets is recreated as a 3D object. Then the object is added texture similar to the concept.

Furthermore, noone has confirmed that CIG didn't pay for stock photos or got them licenced. Bioware bought a stock photo for a few $, value similar to a lunch for drink or a luch for oen of their coworkers depending on where they eat, then worked on it to Create Tali's mask less picture "in-game". Is that a crime? no, but a few of fans were dissapointed that they didn't put more work into it.

Those stock photos exist to be sold and used, the same photo can be useda million times over by different companies and it is the wosh of the photo sellers that a lot of people like it and buys the stuff.

All it commes dow to is a bunch of people saying, they used a stock photo in their concept art! They are criminals! Some even go as far as to claim they stole copyrighted materials but unless they can prove that CIG didn't pay for the rights, then it's just slander, which by itself should be seen as a crime.

But this is the "Internet" which is why toxic stuff can be found everywhere because people can hide their identities and can say things they wouldn't care in real life due to consequences.

Now, if unlicenced art not owned by them makes it into their game engine, then that would be a problem. You can also compare it with plagiarism happening in the music world, where people have to make sure they don't string together too many notes that are similar to another of billions of existing works. Or fashion etz.

Also, I like the CIG picture the best, maybe it's personal preference. For anyone hunting down stockphotos to claim plagiarism, first ask the rights owner or user wether they might have the licence to use the work. CIG hires a lot of outside artists and sources to complement their staffs work.

Also, as a developer you can't just hire hundreds of artists and tell tem to create new and random art, you have to give them direction, either by reference material or have them present an idea with reference material to explain their idea before they waste hundreds of hours on something that just ends up in the garbage bin. That's where concept art commes in, it frames the concept for the final art piece, what the general idea is and as the artist is asked to make changes the concept gets closer to an end result that will then be the basis for the final piece that will be added in-game.

EDIT: Also, there was a vote for the backers early on when CIG/RSI realised they had superceeded the backing goal and asked their backers what they wanted them to do. Out of the almost 21000 votes that they recieved 88% wanted them to expand the vision and features. This ofcourse means you delay the release since it takes more work to add in these new features and adapt the game to the new expectations placed on it. One can discuss the rights and wrogns of lettign a majority of backers decide such changes. It appears a few of the backers against it got very vocal. That effectively changed the release date and size of the development team and the type of assets to be developed.

Personally I find it exciting that they are pushing the envelope, it's kind of like making a bold statement that you want to go to the moon when you havn't even sent anyone into orbit yet.

I hope they can pull it off. A lot of games are just doing the same old thing over and over again with very safe goals of old and tried designs and concepts, with a new sparkly addition when there is a new console generation, PC's usualy have to wait for new console generation to get new shiny stuff they could have had long ago because a majority of games are ports from consoles.

• 8 months later...

I've backed 25 projects. 8 were not successful in meeting the funding goal, 2 kept the money and did nothing, 1 refunded the money, 7 actually made games, 5 are still in development but several will have their products released soon. 2 I only gave like a $1 because they changed what they were gonna do mid-campaign and got rid of their female leads.

I got Elite dangerous which I pledged for, can't say I've been playing it a lot though. SC and SQ42 is still in development but showing gradual progress. It's not a bust until a fail is confirmed. Ongoing work is still ongoing work.

@

Schwarzbart

How many of your Kickstarters have been confirmed as canceled or failed?

A delay isn't necessary a fail. Just look at how much time Academagia and year 2 is taking.

@ Albert confirmed only 3 one have returned the money the other not. But some didn't put out a update for months or even years now and one is available for non backer for ~2 years now but some backer i.e. me never got it. Beside that all are at last 1 year past the promised delivery date.

Beside 3 projects that are still open to deliver I have written off my money for the rest with the result I complete stopped to back anything at Kickstarter because the risk is not worth it even on projects that deliver as many times you also have to pay more then someone who can wait for few month after release. IMHO given the not small chance of a complete failure, buy a pig in a poke (even the delivered games where mostly not what was promised) and late delivery by years the video gaming projects would need to give a 50% discount compared to release price at Kickstarter to cover up for the risk.

Archived