Black Chicken Studios Forums

Cool Kickstarter Thread

Schwarzbart

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, No, you're not hats, but as I understand it, you "took your hat off" (or will should I fill the prerequisite)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hat_tip

A bit of trivia for you. Did you know that the military salute shares its origins with the hat tip? The difference arises due to medieval practices and helmets that were too hard to remove. Case in point, in the Navy you don't salute indoors; Why? Because you're not wearing a "cover" (hat) while indoors. :P

To get back to topic:

For the fans of 4X Space TBS there curent 2 games at Kickstarter

Starbase Orion is a try to get the money together to do a port of this iOS 4X game to PC, MAC and Android. Also they only ask $8 for the digital download for one system.

Beyond Beyaan is a game that is already at Desura in Alpha founding for some time. He try to get the money together for Graphics and promised to make the sourcecode of this game public what means we can see all kind of different mods for it.

I really ought to avoid this thread since I've shown a disturbing knack for derailing it. :(

But to the subject at hand, I really, REALLY doubt that any space-based 4x game can top Galciv 2.

The problem with 4X games is that story is a real weak point for them. Often they have some campaign that requires you to replay from (nearly) scratch and I hate doing that just to read the next chapter. For this reason I only look at the gameplay aspects, and honestly, stardock nailed that part down so hard that I don't even play any other 4x games anymore. (even civ2, which is by far the best one, IMO)

I think a real problem is that you eventually get to a point of saturation for such things. I already own so many types of games across so many genres it's almost impossible to find something fresh. It's for this reason that I primarily have an interest in Academagia, which is in an underdeveloped genre with a beautiful story, (of which we know so little still.)

Nonsense! One day we'll make a 4x game, and *then* we'll see what can be done about an emergent story for the mechanics. :)

Scheherazade Gaiden, in which you lead a company of archaeologist descended from Scheherazade in a post-rebuilding-post-apocalypse future of the world trying to capture piece of land and dig up mundane 2012 items versus enemy archaeologist teams?

You could even have outright warfare, or take low tea with your enemies' superior at big university to discredit them or something, while the elaborate game log system try to spin your impossible actions (due to strategy) into a incoherent story.

You forgot crafting elegant invitations with astonishingly inviting calligraphy. :)

Spy action involves putting a mummy in your enemy leader's room and arranging journalists to pass by. I mean, the odds of finding another mummy who is well-preserved underneath that bandage is pretty low!

Now, give me a reason to research Greengrocery and Filing

...I might have a chance to get Scheherazade this Valentine actually.

• 2 weeks later...

Turnbased Strategie that plays in a limited part of our History is not my thing but I know some people like such settings.

At The Gates from Jon Shafer (CIV V) plays at the end of the Roman Empier where the player is a Barbarian Clan.

Technologies will be discovered from the Roman instead of Researched, your citys (Camps there) can be moved and Resources get depleted are theyr selling points.

Today they hit $70k and so not only the Stretchgoal XML Mod Support but also DLL Mod Support is reached. With still 12 days to go one can wonder how much they manage to reach.

• 2 weeks later...

inXile is back with a other Kickstarter.

This time they want to make a spirtual sucessor to Planescape Torment called

Torment:Tides of Numenera

Be fast if you want to grab it for $20 instead of $25 as within the time I study the page and watched the video over 1000 piked the $20 reward so that only a bit over 13,5k slots of this reward now left!

...TORMENT WANTTTTTT

To be clear, it's a spiritual successor, not sequel to planescape torment. Chris Avellone is not part of it, but Monte Cook is, so it's all good. Not sure if it would be as detail novel like in planescape though.

Archived