Black Chicken Studios Forums

Forbidden Magic

Always a risk, but the relationship with our fellow students should be much deeper than those of professors. We just share so many things togheter, cliiques and adventures i imagine good rewards for those that find a trustworthy one.

By simply completing Oriabel adventure she gives 1 max point, take the "just be the man and handle business" approach while she hides behind you gives 2 max instead, so if you are the one to actually teach her Gates she would pretty much love you forever. :)

More importantly tho, is that if you really want keep being a dark mage in secet, might aswell be alone. Now if you want to one day lift the ban for example would be very good to have these npc's storywise at least.

In my view it is because you care about your friends that you don't intentionally put them in danger by teaching them illegal things and I would not call this "good rewards" .

The less they know about this the less in trouble they will be with the authority if something unfortunate happen (again the heros dilemna).

If your goal is to lift the ban then you can always teach them after it became safe no need to make other teenagers "unreedemable criminal" because that's what they will be in the eyes of society. (okay that's an adult reflection not necessarily one shared by the PC).

For me the question is only about if you discover that an other academagian student has studyied dark magics on his own not to encourage them. :P

And for this I already gave my answer. :)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In some ways getting taught by a powerful authority figure is more risky than a fellow student as you wouldn't be in quite the same boat.

What if the teacher asks you to do something you don't want to do (something truly evil or risky) and threatens to expose you if you don't comply. He'll probably be able to prove you are guilty while he might have taken steps to avoid easy identification combined with it being your word against his and the authorities might just shake it off as desperate accusations. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid...

Anyway one way I could see my character getting involved with another would be if one of them somehow succeeded at discovering your nature and asked to be included. You'd have to either comply or kill them, both things being risky.

In some ways getting taught by a powerful authority figure is more risky than a fellow student as you wouldn't be in quite the same boat.

What if the teacher asks you to do something you don't want to do (something truly evil or risky) and threatens to expose you if you don't comply. He'll probably be able to prove you are guilty while he might have taken steps to avoid easy identification combined with it being your word against his and the authorities might just shake it off as desperate accusations. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid...

Anyway one way I could see my character getting involved with another would be if one of them somehow succeeded at discovering your nature and asked to be included. You'd have to either comply or kill them, both things being risky.

Hum... . That's a good point but like I said it's a gamble that has it pros. Having a prof on your side give you access to easy knowledge and a protector. Of course you'll be on the inferior side of the relation so again it depends on the professor personality. (Rupprecht? Never :P) .

And that's a risk that also exist with students altough they have less power and influence than a professor but they also have far less to offer (at least same year student).

That's how I view it. What can I gain and what is the price (both at the moment and potential) and is it worth it ?

Illegal magic is too dangerous for me to let personal sentiment interfere. Cold calculation matter more for me.

I mean it's my life that's on the line !!

Also the legate said that in the former ban lift. The ones who learned illegal magics during the ban were still considered criminal like at the time of the ban and were treated (executed :P) as such. ;)

So yeah learning forbidden magics in year 1 condemns you and your follower to be eternal criminal. Don't forget this.

I see you convently left the "many pardons were given out" unmentioned. especially with how many influence some of our chars will end with :) . I think you understimate the power of the protagonist in games :)

Oh yeah that part. :)

Well still in the PC perspective s/he should keep in mind that most he and his friends will likely lives as fugitive for the rest of their lives.

Except if the PC character already knows in year 1 that s/he will succeed in lifting the ban and get a pardon for him and his friends. :)

That still a fate I wouldn't want to share with my friends even if I think I am awesome :P .

It was also said that some people who were wealthy nobility and social elite people might get a house arrest... Which I guess isn't that great either, but at least you arn't killed. I guess it also depends on the circumstances of your arrest or how you get found out.

If you were attempting to overrun the world and put Dragons in power with the use of gates and Mastery, then they might not be as generous.

I guess we will find out.

So, house arrest, and sneak out/ gate out every now and then and hope you get away with it? Perhaps a few Glamours to mask your identity.

But really, when studying illegal things and especialy when practicing "illegal" magic, it would make sense to cammouflage yourself or use some kind of deception. Perhaps both a physical mask and a Glamour one in case someone can see through magic disguises.

While the magic disguise might be less eye catching than the physical camouflage, but at least the physical one would still help you hide your identity(in case someone has some see through illusions magic or casts it).

Students of the banned arts would probably do well to get good at the shady espionage and spy skills. Not being noticed at all is the best protection, after that, camouflage and escape plans.

I think the best course of action for a student would be to avoid getting noticed and stay low, while they study and learn about those things other people want to deny them the freedom to investigate.

Using it should probably be avoided unless your life depends on it or it's the "only" way forward and it seems very reasonable and won't get you killed.

Studying it and keeping it's usage to a minimum seems like a good idea. Also, if your knowledge and usage creates that magical background radiation that might get you caught... Then it might be a good idea to study ways to mask it or make it less eyecatching.

Apparently Illaro had some crude techniques to mask his presence.

He hid it all and created an emty void around him that was so empty it might attract attention, so maybe a smarter less empty "void"... Might be hard though.

Might be over thinking things.. But masking your identity, and all evidence of your knowledge and usage would be a good idea. In Year 1 the students mostly seem to be hoping that noone sees them. They might have to work on that a little bit.

• 5 months later...

This reminds me, that Synchronicity Adventure, if you reject the mark they say they will send a letter to the Praetexta court (I think it was) about your characters "Mastery" knowledge.

Maybe an optional adventure or exit would be to intercept that letter and erase it, or manipulate it.

Having them inform the world seems so finite and absolute. Just a thought. Your new "friends" would still know but everyone else doesn't need to know yet.

Perhaps a "Plot" exit. Resulting in a "Raid" or "Infiltration" on the mail delivery, which ever type that might be. Perhaps some magic as well while you're at it, or Forgery.

Archived