Black Chicken Studios Forums

Better Studying

89157Z

My mod experiments continue apace. This one's really simple. Barring computer problems I should have it done, tested, and running in two days.

The most annoying grind in the game, for me, is getting Study Levels up. Any other kind of skill training is more fun. Thus I will create a mod to make skill training easier. I am going to take Prodigy: Curiosity, rename it to 'Prodigy: Studious', and then have it choke down most of the Test Taker skill in addition to its current effect.

I may or may not merge Test Taker and Study Habits together. I'm not too shy about buffing the School Survival skills, which feel too weak as it is.

I'm aiming my super-studying trait to be roughly as powerful as the Family: Religious trait is. That's a little stronger than I'm *really* comfortable with, in all honesty, but... In this case, it's for the cause of eliminating a kind of grind I find a bind. Questionable actions in a good cause, go!

Edit: Oh cruel muses! I just realized I don't have the necessary files to make this possible. To do it with just the base materials, I'd have to, err, reverse-engineer and re-implement the Test Taker skill. Okay, so it's NOT a really simple project. Hm. Drat.

In my opinion only a good way to increase Character Study early in game is missing to have a alternative in Test Taking for Study. But in mid/endgame it will hurt you to have not pushed Research thats why if you realy want to have a alterantive to the Venalicium I would remove the Sphinx from Research and place it in a adventure without prerequisit. Or alternativ seed Training ways with 1 SS by choise and 2 random at other places.

In my opinion only a good way to increase Character Study early in game is missing to have a alternative in Test Taking for Study. But in mid/endgame it will hurt you to have not pushed Research thats why if you realy want to have a alterantive to the Venalicium I would remove the Sphinx from Research and place it in a adventure without prerequisit. Or alternativ seed Training ways with 1 SS by choise and 2 random at other places.

I never research. I find it too frustrating to just get dribs and drabs of lore, having to spend so much of the scarce time in the game researching for the (usually not that big) prize at the end of the research line. The lores are kind of cool, but I can read them in the modtools; they don't do anything in the game.

Every research line I chase is an adventure I don't get to finish, or a skill I don't get to max out. Sometimes it is both.

• 5 months later...

Yeah. In comparison, the stat gain from Research cant compare to the SS gain from expand, or even the stat game from adventures. If, If research is high enough that we can complete 10 research in 7 time slot, then yes, at that rate it can compete with adventures in late game, since the few ss gains in adventure can be compensate by the freedom to choose which stat to research.

EDIT: Back to Study Levels. i think the Study in Library that get +1SL and +1 Research SS is pretty good. You have 6 class = 60 action = 60 Research SS, nearly enough to max Research if your Insight is good. And that action is easy enough to get. So no, I think get SL up is not a problem. And early game you dont know enough 3SS actions anyway.

Archived