Black Chicken Studios Forums

Translation?

Eli7

Hi! First of all i hope it's alright to post here, i didn't really know in which part of the forum this subjet goes. So academagia is an awesome game (i'm waiting year 2 impatiently), seriously i am never tired of it, the only "defect" is that it is in english. Not a problem for me of course, i understand perfectly english (even if my writing is far from being perfect), but my sister who was thrilled with the concept of this game, is younger than me and so her english is not enough to understand the basic of this game. I was wondering if it was possible for me to translate part of the game (only the main features so that she could, at least, understand what she is doing) with the modtool? Do i have even the right to do it?

Thanks Legate for your quick reply, of course i won't translate all the game (that's too much :blink: ), reading english is a great way to improve your understanding after all ;) , but the game is kind of difficult at first so it's better to understand what you are doing or you get tired of it, and that would be a shame.

Anyway thanks for your reply

Hmm, I know translating all the in-game text not something that the Devs could feasible do in-house. However, have you ever priced what it would take to get a third-part to translate a few of the major languages? If you do have a rough idea this could be something eventually funded as a Kickstarter project.

Just a suggestion...

And not a bad suggestion at all, actually! That may be the way to do it, but contracting third parties to translate is actually fairly expensive. Who knows, though? If there is enough interest...;)

Unlike some of the other crowd-sourced game development projects I've seen, Black Chicken already has the distribution, etc... established. All you really need is to make sure it won't be a net loss to hire someone for such a large body of work (the word count is probably similar to a trilogy of good sized novels by now). That's where something like Kickstarter comes in handy, you can directly test the interest before any money is actually spent! B)

Edit: By the way, is this a good enough suggestion to deserve a fox familiar? ;)

Hahaha! Definitely, yes. If not for Year 1, for Year 2. :)

Fantastic! B) Of course, I really hope you can fit in for Year 1.

If would help move things forward I have suggestion on how to prioritize vulpine Attributes:

1. Intelligence
  2. Finesse
  3. Charm
  4. Fitness
  5. Luck
  6. Insight
  7. Strength

The big question is what can you offer in return at the Kickstarter for the Money as most people who like this kind of game probably have bought year 1 already.

One thing could be that you Push out a "Gold" Version that have some major improvments over the normal year 1 or you bundle year 1 and year 2 but this would effect the sales you later will have for year 2.

Btw. I think a gold version is actual needed for a translation because right now you can only have 1 language with the game. (Even if it is "just" to select the right db depending on what language you have choosen)

For the Translation make sure that not only you have someone who Translate but also someone who read trough everything afterwards to fix typos and such.

Whoa, Luck isn't in the top 3? :)

I'm basing most of the ranking on the mythology and folklore about foxes. In cultures where foxes have a notable role; they usually portrayed as clever, cunning, and sly, often graceful, and sometimes charming. However, they are almost never are portrayed as particularly lucky. If luck plays any role in their stories, it's normally because they "make" their own luck.

The big question is what can you offer in return at the Kickstarter for the Money as most people who like this kind of game probably have bought year 1 already.

One thing could be that you Push out a "Gold" Version that have some major improvments over the normal year 1 or you bundle year 1 and year 2 but this would effect the sales you later will have for year 2.

Btw. I think a gold version is actual needed for a translation because right now you can only have 1 language with the game. (Even if it is "just" to select the right db depending on what language you have choosen)

For the Translation make sure that not only you have someone who Translate but also someone who read trough everything afterwards to fix typos and such.

Good idea Schwarzbart, I'd be willing to pay for a multilingual "Gold" version especially if it finally fixed all the typos in the game. :P Seriously though, a special edition with all the DLC and patches, as well as some good user submitted content that didn't make it into the last DLC for Year 1 would be a worth another $15 to $20 USD (and this is coming from someone who's only fluent in English).

Archived