Black Chicken Studios Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Carakav

Trying to add new background

So I'm trying to create a simple mod, where I add a new background option in the "Origin" group. After I downloaded the mod tool, and all the associated files, I loaded everything up. I can see all the pertinent game data, and when I publish my mod, it completes successfully (generating a .mdm that is roughly 3k in size). The only problem: when I load the mod in game, my new background isn't listed anywhere!

I made sure to set up my background in the exact same way as other similar backgrounds: Under the background section, background type set to "origin", action type set to "background", one of the effects is set as a default.

Am I missing something? Like a reference table somewhere? Please help.

Modtool 0.63.3

Academagia 1.0.0.amo

Have you set a Background cost? Because in on of my mods I haved set Background cost to 0 and it didn't work then. So either set it to -1 or 1.

A other problem I encountered is if you set Prerequisits its invisible till you get the prerequisit and have canged to a other background page (needed to update).

Have you activated the mod at the new game start?

Oh and you set your Background Type to "Origin" or have you created a new one with the name "origin", same question for the Action Type? I'm not sure but I suspect its case sensitiv.

Carakav;

Just in case, be sure to select existing Background Types (do not create new ones!) Otherwise, it does sound like you are setting it up correctly, but for some reason it's not recognizing it- you may want to change your mod load order so that your new mod is selected last.

I've tried all of these things. Alas, it seems it just isn't meant to be.

I really wish I could open the generated .mdm directly so I could debug it. Just to see if the changes are even correctly publishing at all.

I assume there are no debug tools available anywhere?

Carakav;

Unfortunately, no. :(

It's really strange, though- we haven't had problems of this type in creating Backgrounds before. The Backgrounds for the Official Content, for instance, were made this way!

Ah! Here's a possible issue: when I go to create a new a mod file, and point it at the Academagia AMO base file, the background I created is still there. I must have saved it into the AMO base file somehow... and when the toolkit publishes mod files, I assume it's looking for differences between the AMO base and your mod?

Carakav;

That's exactly it- you should never edit the AMO file, only the AMMs. Of course, you can still play that version by publishing new Official Content, but you won't be able to share your Mod, and any saves so created would be unable to be exported to Year 2.