Black Chicken Studios Forums

The 'Let's Talk About Spoilery Things' Thread

Mikka

I figure we could use a spoilery thread, where we could talk about adventures and tips and endings and the dreaded topic of which guy is the cutest. Okay, maybe not the last, but I have a feeling it'll eventually come up.

So, some general thoughts...

First off, Roland's adventure in Turkey. The two-step one. I think it may have the highest difficulties in the game, or at least close, and the second step is buggy at the time that I am currently writing this. Don't go in it without a +60 card from finishing an adventure (the Final Stretch Card you get from arriving in Turkey will work fine), or else pile yourself full of Self-Knowledge cards. That adventure tosses like ten stress at you just for existing, and it's brutal. If sort of funny. Not nearly as depressing as most of Roland's adventures. Seriously, that boy gets a reward for having the most 'owch' story in the game.

Speaking of those +60 cards, you know what they're great for? The first adventure with your romantic interest in Peru (...and wherever Sterling's takes place), when you have 0 Dream because you've just switched over. Stockpile them as best you can, and throw them off one after another to quickly boost your dream score when your ten card hand won't get you through more then two obstacles (this is basically the only way to get 100 Romance Dream, by the way). Works great if you're romancing Roland, for instance, as his Peru adventure has no red steps and no rests- hard on ten cards.

Watch out when making friends with guys while trying to romance someone. This is probably the biggest problem with Sterling- just remember that if your relationship with one of them overcomes your dream score with another, you're getting friendship with that guy, not romance with your chosen. This is mentioned in the tutorial, but I'm just blathering about it again because I personally screwed up by one freakin' point. One point. Owch. If I just hadn't done a Check In... well, I blather. Do adventures with Sadie's face, not the guy's faces, unless you're confident your dream will exceed your relationship. (Focusing on two guys at the beginning (and your chosen) and then switching to the other two guys near the end (and your chosen) seemed to work fine for me on easy difficulty.)

Aunt Evelyn and Anna points really don't seem to do anything. I tried a play-through of being as offensive to them as possible (which honestly isn't that offensive), and I still ended up with like 60 points with each and a loving aunt and best friend and I didn't see any dialog changes. There's sadly no best friends ending with Anna or anything, so raising them as high as possible seems to have no consequence.

Whenever your heading to a new place with no idea what's going on and no way to predict what cards you'll need (and the pressing knowledge that the main adventure will start on you), prepare as best as you can. Early game, the cards that give +3 to stress type or charm type (and so on) are the best; late game, the cards that give you plus +5 or more General (I think it goes up to +9?) are nice. Of the boys, Ahmose seems to be the one most prone to giving out cards with the major boni, but I haven't exactly subjected that to rigorous testing just 'hey, mummy boy's princely regalia and kheeper's leash seems slightly more useful then these sillies hanging around the opera'.

My mother was at my place while I was playing this game, looked at Sadie, and asked why she was wearing a strapless bra on the outside of her coat. Now I can't look at her without seeing it. I just wanted to make other people suffer the same fate. Seriously, look at her in her New York pink jacket getup. There is like no shading anywhere save for where a strapless bra would sit. Is her jacket that sheer? What does this mean?! No seriously, it must have a reason. I just can't figure it out.

One of my favorite things about this game is the New York Times articles that pop up when you finish an adventure. Which are your favorites? I have to give a personal star to the early one that compliments Sadie for running around with a typewriter in central park (and votes for a gumball machine for the next trip), but I also like the one that compliments your dear Aunt for bringing civilization (read: booze) to the natives in the Jungle.

Ahmose is pretty. Don't you think? Crap, I said I wasn't going to talk about which of the guys is cuter. Um. Yeah.

...Okay, I think that's all I have to say for now. I'm sure I'll have more thoughts later.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My mother was at my place while I was playing this game, looked at Sadie, and asked why she was wearing a strapless bra on the outside of her coat. Now I can't look at her without seeing it. I just wanted to make other people suffer the same fate. Seriously, look at her in her New York pink jacket getup. There is like no shading anywhere save for where a strapless bra would sit. Is her jacket that sheer? What does this mean?! No seriously, it must have a reason. I just can't figure it out.

Thanks. I can see it now. It's clearly supposed to be a shadow-effect, but yes, it gives the wrong impression once you see it that way. Worse - Evelyn's purple getup has the same thing. So now you'll always see her in it too. :)

Yep - don't be afraid to take Anna/Evelyn adventures - their relationship scores don't compete with the main characters, and it's for the reason Mikka stated which is because there are no Anna/Evelyn endings.

The articles are a riot and the typewriter one is probably my favorite that I have seen.

Looking at the "What Character Storyline Will You Play First?" thread, looks like not a lot of people are playing the professor? I would have to say that two of my favorite jokes are in his storyline - one involving Lorelei and the other Steven.

And I like how some of the thugs have a "softer" side in Roland's :lol:

Oh god, Aunt Evelyn does have it to. It's not quite as noticeable as Sadie's, due to the fur, but it's definitely there. Anna and other females don't, though, although Sadie does have some similar shading on her white adventuring outfit (it's just not as noticeable on the right side). So maybe it's actually avant-garde fashion that we mere poor doomed mortals cannot understand. Wearing strapless bras over clothes: just watch, in another ten years, it'll be all the rage. They were just 90 years too early for their time.

And I like how some of the thugs have a "softer" side in Roland's :lol:

It's a very close competition, but I think Viktor is my second favorite supporting character in the game. I just played through the dialog where he talks about his girl back home, and I was thinking... 'You know what, I bet he does have a girl back home, and she means the world to him. And he's still a complete terrifying badass who would kill Sadie without flinching despite having spent days in her company as an ally.'

Third favorite is Claudia, for being an adorable little spitfire and making it feel like Sadie has a little protege, and absolute favorite is Zul- incredible respect as even more then the romancable boys, he seems completely capable of playing on Sadie's level. Forget Sterling (sorry, Sterling)- there's the true rival. The thief and the archeologist, in a contest all over the world... it's got romantic adventure all over it. If there's not an option to have a fling with him in the next year, I will be very sad (though I don't know how well he'd work as an actual romance- 'redeeming' him would just lead to a lot of jail time, and that seems a boring route to go down).

So, Sadie's decision to allow Roland to follow her around on Australia after doing main adventure check-in's to discover that he's actually a thief... crazy, or crazy? Oh, sure, after a while we learn that He Is Thieving For The Greater Good of King And Country, but Sadie doesn't know that yet. During my first play-through, I actually yelled at my screen when she agreed to have him follow her around- for a shiny nickle, at that. He's a thief, Sadie, one who looks remarkably similar (...) to the guy who broke in to your home! Don't trust him! Don't allow him to follow you, he's going to screw you over!

(...Then I felt like an idiot when I figured out what Roland was doing and that the one who was going to screw me over was actually Sterling, but still.)

I know they're probably supposed to be different people, but I like the idea that Johnny's mother also moonlights as an actress in plays about the Devourers (she's also a librarian). I also like pretending that the thugs that use the generic thug portrait(s) are actually the same guys traveling all over the world just so Sadie can punch them down.

Ahmose is pretty. Don't you think? Crap, I said I wasn't going to talk about which of the guys is cuter. Um. Yeah.

I agree! I was actually a little disappointed that the end CG of him kissing Sadie has him without his wrappings. I was hoping he would still have them on! I got so used to seeing him like that ._.

Ah, overall I really like this game but man, the last adventure you have with Roland in Turkey? I looked at it and was like "Oh, only two obstacles, this'll be easy!" Nope. Nope. Nope. It was a good thing that I saved some of my +90 inspirations (y'know, that one you get in the beginning and that other high one you get near the end, I think) I thought Roland's adventures would all be full of Britishness and fun .... until India ._. Bernard ;-;

Anyone happen to play through Felix and Nigel's routes, by the way? I wasn't gonna go through them, but I wanna know if anyone finds them fun enough to do (my list of routes to go was Ahmose, Roland, and then Sterling)

I agree! I was actually a little disappointed that the end CG of him kissing Sadie has him without his wrappings. I was hoping he would still have them on! I got so used to seeing him like that ._.

Ah, overall I really like this game but man, the last adventure you have with Roland in Turkey? I looked at it and was like "Oh, only two obstacles, this'll be easy!" Nope. Nope. Nope. It was a good thing that I saved some of my +90 inspirations (y'know, that one you get in the beginning and that other high one you get near the end, I think) I thought Roland's adventures would all be full of Britishness and fun .... until India ._. Bernard ;-;

Anyone happen to play through Felix and Nigel's routes, by the way? I wasn't gonna go them, but I wanna know if anyone finds them fun enough to do (my list of routes to go was Ahmose, Roland, and then Sterling)

Definitely Nigel - Sterling is too much of a nincompoop for me :lol:

Aw, poor Sterling. I'd say no guy goes as far as Sterling for Sadie, which gets him points from me. Roland gets in to his... fair share of problems, too, but it's also for the sake of poor dear Bernard and King and Crown. Sterling? All for the crazy crush he has for Sadie, he abandons everything he has to get pounded on by Ruddy.

(Crack pairings time! Who else supports SterlingxAnna? Their first response when seeing fields of flowers is to pick them, neither of them can bargain worth a damn but they still have a love for gambling, they both apparently need leashes... the dialog for them is almost the exact same whether you have Anna or whether you have Sterling with you for the 'Main Adventure' in Turkey. They'd be a perfect pair. They may have too much in common, though. Hm.)

On the Sterling side, is it actually possible to get him up to 100 dream? I succeeded in every obstacle we faced together (...I saved up a lot of nice cards), including the Easter ones, but I only have 69 dream while in NY after Turkey. And I still have All Grown Up sitting in my inventory, so I know I didn't mess up- if it was a Sterling adventure, I would have used it.

I'm about to do Felix. His Peru adventure is another annoying one, with no breaks or rests. I can't quite bring myself to do Nigel's. First, I find him incredibly boring, but second, the professor/student angle sort of creeps me out. Is that addressed anywhere in the route? He also doesn't show any interest in Sadie before Christmas, which makes him feel more like a friend then a romance interest... all he does is call you good partners. Sterling has a crush on first sight, Roland certainly develops one after Egypt, Felix is basically flustered and crushing from the get go (when he's not mopeing), and Ahmose there's the awkward 'Does he think of me, Kheeper? Not necessarily as a girl...' route that makes it obvious that use, Ahmose cares, but Nigel is just... I don't know. I'm not seeing any spark.

I'll probably try his route eventually, because I bought the game and I intend on getting all the use I can out of it, but I want to experiment more with if it's actually possible to get the guys to 100 Dream first.

Roland x Bernard is my crack pairing XD I think Anna x Sterling is perfect! But why do I feel like the two of them could get into quite a bit of mischief?

Y'know, I didn't like Sterling at first, but when I got to the main adventure in Turkey I just felt bad for the guy :( It's like no one really gives him a break.

I was wondering about that 100 dream score I was so close to getting it with Roland and I've been looking over my notes to see what I missed (yes, I keep notes of all the obstacles for every adventure I went on XD) and apparently, probably due to some dialogue choices, I might've skipped over an obstacle, so I ended up with 97 ;-; So close. I'm tempted to play through it all again just to try and get that 100. I'm worried I might be a little disappointed though as there might not be much of a difference between a 90 end dream score and a 100 dream score >.>

Well, I hate to spoil the surprise (I already feel kind of guilty spoiling parts of Planescape Torment, though it was a small somewhat insignificant part mind) so I will hint and grin conspiratorial with anyone who understands.

Around the 14th Feb our daring crew will attend the movies, if, by chance, you've invited Sterling along, I find that there is a *perfect* moment here, if you choose to 'act as if nothing happened'. I can't describe how much I liked Evelyn in this scene ;)

Just wondering if I missed something or if it gets explain in another ending. I gunned for the Roland ending on easy, but was also doing the "Main Adventure". In June when Scheherazade got back from Turkey I found it odd that

HUGE SPOILER:

After getting told to "stay at Anna's" place after talking with Evelyn about Ruddy this is never followed up on. The ending scene started up and I was back at Evelyns and everything was fine between her and Scheherazade.

I had a dream score of 100 with Roland, but I doubt that would of affected what was bugging me. Is this explained or ironed out in the "family" ending.

Love the game and will be playing through it again multiple times. Looking forward to that sequel hook getting resolved ;)

On the Sterling side, is it actually possible to get him up to 100 dream? I succeeded in every obstacle we faced together (...I saved up a lot of nice cards), including the Easter ones, but I only have 69 dream while in NY after Turkey. And I still have All Grown Up sitting in my inventory, so I know I didn't mess up- if it was a Sterling adventure, I would have used it.

The highest I got was 74, I think. There doesn't seem to be any opportunity to get it any higher though so it really makes me wonder if 100 dream is possible with the guy :/

The highest I got was 74, I think. There doesn't seem to be any opportunity to get it any higher though so it really makes me wonder if 100 dream is possible with the guy :/

I got Sterling to 100, the trick is to not jump over the passable obstacle in new orleans, make sure you are prepared for the three (i think it was three) obstacle at easter and to

First make sure that you investigate the ruins when you arrive, so you find Lore's journal. And make sure NOT to stop up and let Lore take notes

Roland x Bernard is my crack pairing XD I think Anna x Sterling is perfect! But why do I feel like the two of them could get into quite a bit of mischief?

Y'know, I didn't like Sterling at first, but when I got to the main adventure in Turkey I just felt bad for the guy :( It's like no one really gives him a break.

I totally support Roland x Bernard (until it ends tragically in India, anyway). Silly Sadie, getting in the way of the brolove. As for Anna x Sterling, I'm sure they would get in a lot of mischief together, but better Sterling then, say, James who smells like milk or stupid Steven. And Anna is the game's other 'poor sod'- if someone's going to get possessed, it's going to be her, it seems.

I started feeling for Sterling after the N'Awlins adventure, when he basically throws everything away to confront Ruddy for you. That's some devotion from a guy who likes to represent himself as a jerk.

Fortis;

Actually, there's someone else in mind for Sadie (unfortunately removed from the game, although a few hints exist about her behind-the-scenes presence!) Anna is what she is: a really good childhood friend. :)

I still wouldn't mind an Anna ending, where you just hang out with your best friend and chill over everything you've been through together (and I'm really sad the same-sex romance was cut). I guess an Anna ending would make the boys friendship endings hard, though, as you get points with her so easily. I wish you could get points with the boys while hanging out with them in NY and around the world, if not dream score.

Around the 14th Feb our daring crew will attend the movies, if, by chance, you've invited Sterling along, I find that there is a *perfect* moment here, if you choose to 'act as if nothing happened'. I can't describe how much I liked Evelyn in this scene ;)

Even if you choose one of the other two options, she's pretty awesome as well (she very much doesn't believe your choking excuse). Evelyn is awesome. And crazy, but mostly awesome.

I got Sterling to 100, the trick is to not jump over the passable obstacle in new orleans, make sure you are prepared for the three (i think it was three) obstacle at easter and to

First make sure that you investigate the ruins when you arrive, so you find Lore's journal. And make sure NOT to stop up and let Lore take notes

I'll need to try that on my next game. I know I let Lore take notes when we went through, so that accounts for at least some missed points. Not sure where I missed them in N'Awlins, but I'll have to play through again and check.

Oh that note, anyone going through Ahmose's adventures hoping for 100 Dream, make sure in N'Awlins that you choose the 'Let Off Steam' option right before the confrontation, so you get the Moxie option and the five dream points.

About to finish a Nigel playthrough, then I just need to play through and get Family to 100 to see the 'twist'. I really don't like Nigel's way of asking Sadie out... it feels like he's all 'So the newspapers think we'd be good dating, so let's date' rather then straightup 'I feel attracted to you, so why don't we date' which sort of makes me not like him. He's my least favorite guy so far.

Felix's route was predictable, but sweet. Oddly, there's not much mention of their different statuses- there's more mention of a status difference in Sterling's romance, for some reason. Still, even though I sort of predicted what would happen, Felix's adventure in Turkey was definitely a full out 'awww, so sweet <3' moment. I still feel like Felix is sort of the destined OTP for Sadie- if no player was playing her, and she was a real person who went through the game making decisions as she came across them, I have a feeling she'd either stay on the Family path or go with Felix. The game really pushes the bond between them.

...Steven is a dolt, but now after seeing all scenes with him, I still want to romance him, somehow. He's a jerk with father issues (which puts him in direct competition with Sterling), but he can be surprisingly sweet when he isn't being a total moron.

I have a niggling feeling the planned female partner was Eora.

That one other blonde, blue-eyed lady flirting with Sterling at the end (I totally forgot her name...Claudia or something?) is too far near the end of the game to be a plausible partner.

I ship Sadie with Ruddy...or better yet, Bigglesworth.

No, but seriously, I thought Sterling was a fun lad.

So was Roland...and Felix.

I really can't just pick one for Sadie because I think each character is very charming in their own way.

I was really hoping Zul Al Zan would be some super secret choice though.

Now I'm incredibly curious about the 'lost romance'. Is she still named in game somewhere or just purely hinted at?

I've finished Ahmose (so far my favorite), Nigel, and Felix and am working on the last two. I got to Bernard's bit in India and had to clear my eyes a bit...too much grit I suspect. *blinks* So I switched to Sterling. I'm enjoying them both, but I suspect Ahmose will remain my favorite. I haven't quite figured out how to get 100 with anyone yet. I've managed 93-95 on the three paths I've finished, but I keep missing key little things.

I see Felix as the traditional OTP option for Sadie, but I feel like Sterling is a pretty close second for default OTP. I feel like he really would move heaven and earth for Sadie if he could. Or at least steal something.

Spoilerly type stuff:

I do not know if this was already mentioned in this thread as I have not read it all, but if you want to accomplish all the capers and are running out of time; leave the main "the parents adventure for last." If you run out of time it will give you the necessary piece of the puzzle before sending you to the next map NY or whatever.

Archived