Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally suspect it was force updated so that it could be linked to all that social media crap. Somebody probably got paid a lot of money to make it so. Sunday or Saturday works for me, I'd just like to know which it will be one way or another.

Oh, I'm not accusing Black chicken on this conspiracy, (though that response was a tad bit suspicious ;)) but rather the forum makers themselves. bah, there's nothing to be done about it anyway, I'm merely voicing an opinion, nothing more. You don't post much in here, legate. Have you kept up with all our shenanigans?

Sunday it is then. See you all then! And I missed the conspiracy, does it involve Dwarves? :D I guess we will play a Holdfast based game in the future? :)

By the way, does anyone know if "maintaining the demanding spell" spell can be used on spells not cast by yourself? Say, If I wanted to free Baruch from a big wind spell so he could make more wind..?

Just read the first vew words of this spell again

"You cast this spell on a spell that you have already cast and are maintaining through concentration"

What do this say to you?

In short NO as you can only use this spell on spells you have cast and maintain now.

In short NO as you can only use this spell on spells you have cast and maintain now.

Time to invent a spell call "maintaining others demanding spell"

Just wondering if Imaginem magic need to penetrate Magic Resistance at all.

From HoH:MC 101

Since glamours are more “solid” than other illusions, they are resisted by the
Parma Magica and other forms of Magic Resistance, unlike the images produced
by other Imaginem spells.

If this is ture then casting the fog or horse illusion on Sedala is not affected by her Might.

Schwarzbart: As I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong) this is how it works: Imaginem "makes the object emit changed species", which is why the species cannot be resisted. The (slightly silly) logic is along the lines that the species remain non-magical, only the object that sends them is affected, hence no magic resistance to the species. This is also the reason why the fog illusion is affected by Sedala's might; Sedala would be the object of the spell, and would be changed to emit different species, but magic resistance would not be able to prevent someone from being fooled by the species, one would need second sight or similar to see through the illusion.

Here's what Baruch think we should do next based on the information we got. Post here if any of your characters would disagree:

1) Find a remote church (preferably not close to any covenants) for Edith and Silas to get officially married in. This is necessary because they must get married in England before Edith's dad will give us the words for the ritual. We can still arrange a bigger ceremony back at the covenant later.

2) Fly back to the covenant PRESUMING one of the senior magi know the level 40 rego mentem ritual Incantation of Summoning the Dead that allows you to summon ghosts per arcane connection. CJ promised to check this - Silas' parens might be a strong contender here, being a mentem expert as I understand it.

2,5) Summon Edith's dad using Edith as an arcane connection, get the words. If no one at the convenant has this ritual, we're essentially screwed unless Edith's dad's ghost haunts the place where the crown was buried. It would be a Bad Idea to go to Libellus to get his corpse. But let's worry about that only after CJ has told us whether we have the ritual.

3) Rebury the crown, speak the words we got from Edith's dad.

4) Profit, i.e. hopefully neither get Marched at the tribunal nor fall from the sky with our city.

Edit: There is a potential flaw with this plan: It might be that Silas becomes the guardian of the crown and has to live where the crown is buried or something like that. That would be bad. It would be better if Gui were the Official Guardian, but we don't know how this works. Hopefully we can use Silas to get the words and Gui to speak them at the ritual, so he becomes the guardian rather than Silas.

Another thing: CJ can't make it next weekend. I can't make it on Saturday, either, but Sunday might be possible. Anyone who can't make it on Sunday? If people can make it, would someone like to GM? If not, we'll skip next weekend, probably.

Should I make a new doodle? Did people find it useful?

Here's what Baruch think we should do next based on the information we got.

Agree. Momo would like to throw in an scheme idea regarding Gustbran and the Grand Tribunal trial problem in the future.

Since Gustbran charmed the pants off the greatest knight in Europe, if we were to give Gustbran one piece of the royal artifact we took and have Gustbran delivers it back to the king and William in Newark while making lies about his disappearance because he jumped into the cloud to fight whatever in there to get back the crown.

Now by William Marshal's word, Gustbran would gain a castle and the king might be appreciative enough to grant him the title of a Lord. So he might be able to develop into virtue like Wealthy, Lord, and Reputation (Knighted by William Marshal). More so if the burial is successful and King John or his descendent is return to power due to the divine protection. Now if Gustbran were to use his reputation and new found wealth to become a patron of the church (donate money), then his eventual status will be a great forces in the Grand Tribunal because he have reputation of being the knight/lord of the King of English and backed by the church, which the hermetic code forbid wizards from messing with him, thus ensuring Gustbran higher chances of surviving the trial.

Edit: Oh yeah, you being the guardian responsible for protecting the king's crown also helps.

Edit 2: He have about 10 years to achive this.

If people can make it, would someone like to GM?

I could do Saturday and Sunday (might have to leave early on Sunday), but the game timeline would be a bit tricky since we aren't sure which season the main cast is coming back and it's like half a week before winter 1216.

Only suitable adventure of mine might be getting Dirk's familiar this winter 1216, which should go well with the grog/companion team in the covenant.

-----------------------------------------------

Speaking of adventure, 5 xp for all participating players on my dragon attack session. 2 bonus xp for Taitale riding his chair like a pro, motivating the soldiers with leaderships, and securing the only material arcane connection of the dragon with that piece of scale that have vis. 1 bonus xp for Bashir protecting Antonious greater secret of manhood plus he probably earned the good grace of Antonious for his action... Or not... It's hard to tell for Antonious.

Keep in mind that Sir William expects Corbenik, Gustbran, and Edith to show up in Newark. If those two are not with me, then we'll need some good excuse for it. Also I expect that there would be a sharp time limit on doing this if that's the plan.

Also, remember that they didn't see us three on the ground climb into the 'cloud' because they had already left the area and Baruch's fog surely covered the whole area.

Freespace I dont think time is a problem as long we do this as part of this adventure.

Keep in mind we are still on the same day we started the adventure thanks to how fast Sedala travel.

It might be even more a problem to tell them why you where faster then them! ^^

Given the info from CJ on how the Eternal Oblivion's spells work, I think I'll revise my plan to simply learn only 'Dragon's Eternal Oblivion' at lvl 20 for spring. I'll work on other things with Aiden later. And Depending on what happens in our story it may be too early to do anything with Gustbran.

True you also can go for Dragons as target. I personal prefer the more flexible Demon, Fearie and Magic Creature version as you only need 4 spells in totall to cover all domains.

Dirk will probably learn Nails of Iron (is against Faeries) from HP 84 (and its variant for Demon and Magic Creatures).

I personal prefer the more flexible Demon, Fearie and Magic Creature version as you only need 4 spells in totall to cover all domains.

I thought CJ said that it doesn't work like that. Otherwise I would have done it that way. Instead you need a different spell for every "type" of enemy. "Demon" only works on demons, not other infernal realm creatures. And there is no spell for magic realm creatures, just ones for dragons, or giants, or whatever.

At least that's MY understanding of what CJ said. Perhaps he can clarify that.

Archived