Black Chicken Studios Forums

An online Ars Magica session

Adrian

Huh? You just sayed: "I prefer Saturday, but everytime its good."

For getting a good translation to german you would need to start with "I prefer Saturday, but the other days are OK (good) as well" what resoult in

Ich bevorzuge Samstag, aber die anderen Tag sind auch OK (gut).

(OK is very common in use in Germany but good german would be gut in this case)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, German is a nice language, the grammar rules actually helped me learn the Danish rules (or lack there of) ;)

But I can attend both days without any trouble.

"Aber jedes Mal ist gut" looks odd to me, but I learned what German I know many years ago so I may be wrong :P

I had half a mind to try and write it in German, but the most likely scenario to that would be a bit of it was correct and most was wrong, one way or another hehe.

Most German I use today is broken German, usually mixing several languages together. It works best with a few of my nearest friends as we've all had to learn German and English and we've each picked up a bit of random from Italian or French and/or a bit of Japanese...

"Aber Jedes Mal ist Gut" sieht in meinen Augen ein bisschen merkwürdig an.

To be fair I wasn't aware that Mal was a noun either, guess you really do learn something new every day ;)

(Edit) I'm too slow, Schwarzbart beat me to it by a mile. Also, Schwarzbart, sorry if I've been misspelling your name. For one reason or another I really -really- want to put a 't' into your name. Schwartzbart... ah well

Mhm, I know. Or, that is, I knew that schwarz was black. I didn't know that Bart meant beard, or that my misspelling was an actual family name ;)

I dunno, I guess it comes from pronouncing schwarz wrong, I pronounce the z as tz... ah well, my teacher never saw fit to correct me... But then again, he had his work cut out for him, with ~50% of his class being second-generation Danes. I don't envy them; having to learn Danish, their native language, English AND German or French, no wonder some of them had it rough. (Several languages in addition to being a slacker is a poor combo, which would be fitting for some 20% of the class I think :P )

(Edit) Just to not derail the tread entirely (Another word I like to misspell; intirely, entirely...) I can do both Saturday and Sunday.

Well, all I used was Google translate. I know almost nothing about German save what Mark Twain wrote on it. A humorous excerpt:

"Every noun has a gender, and there is no sense or system in the distribution; so the gender of each must be learned separately and by heart. There is no other way. To do this, one has to have a memory like a memorandum-book. In German, a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has. Think what overwrought reverence that shows for the turnip, and what callous disrespect for the girl. See how it looks in print—I translate this from a conversation in one of the best of the German Sunday-school books:

“Gretchen. Wilhelm, where is the turnip ?
“Wilhelm. She has gone to the kitchen.
“Gretchen. Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden ?
“Wilhelm. It has gone to the opera."

“Gretchen. Wilhelm, where is the turnip ?

“Wilhelm. She has gone to the kitchen.

Thats true as many items got to be adressed as female.

But

“Gretchen. Where is the accomplished and beautiful English maiden ?

“Wilhelm. It has gone to the opera."

sounds strange to me, maybe its from a time in the past where the nobility and rich adressed theyr servants like this to declare that the servant is fare below them.

Ich kann leider nicht am Samstag spielen. Am Sonntag kann ich erst 13 Uhr GMT anfangen, also eine Stunde später als normal. Wenn nötig, ihr könnt um zwölf anfangen, und ich kann später eintreten.

I can't play on Saturday, unfortunately. On Sunday I can start at 13 GMT at the earliest; in other words, 1 hour later than normal. If necessary, you can start at 12 and I can join you at 13.

Ps. Meine Frau ist eine Deutsche.

I dont know how fast the group manage to come to the right conclusions in the current story and if it is fast you might need to start your adventure after exp spending.

Edit: So I think we should do Sunday but start at the normal time because the chars of Wits left to visit a shop.

Ok, so start at 12 gmt on sunday and I'll join you later.

We can continue with my adventure if Schwarzbart's runs out early, but I suspect most people won't have had time to look at the rules I posted since it's only a few days till sunday. Let's see what seems best when the time comes.

Actually, it turns out that the anniversary of the founding of the little town I live in is Saturday. As a result, I will have to leave early if we do tomorrow because I need to go out tomorrow and before the parade clogs the streets.

Edit: Sunday it is, I guess :P

Freespace yes its sunday what also give me more time to prepare as I have to put some NPCs together till then as I need to extend what happen slightly first as it is the start to a seprat ongoing story and also to give some reson for what Wits whant to have us to voting at.

The population per quarter is between 150 to 300. Total population is around 1,000 - a city in medieval terms but a small one. Much of the city is ruined: the buildings are often 3 storeys high and some more. There is magic in the food production yes. I worked out the maths last week but you will learn more soon smile.gif

Couldn't sleep and so I put some numbers together.

I think to remember that the Hyperborean are more toward the 300 but even with 300 people we already have 1% of this as Named NPCs and a other 1% are player chars.

Given how many guards we have (each tower have at last 2 around the clock the temple have for sure a other 2 around the clock, some work for the prison, some in the garnision, some on patrol) I think the overal guards are at last 5% of the total population.

But checking back at our covenant expenses I couldn't belive my eyes that we only have 27 Guards for the complet covenant and only 9 of them armored!

So 11% of our Armed Forces the covenant pays for are actual Player or Named NPCs.

A Other interesting number is that there was a drop in the population of the Hyperborean by 1%-2% in just one day when we explored the undergrund tunnel in the Hyperborean Adventure (1 Guard on our side and at last 2 people on the oposit side).

Looking at this numbers pointed out that what I planed would be a bad idea and I need to retink some things when it comes down to letting covefolk or guards die for a story!

Hmm given the isolated situation of the city and that there is no noble who can challenge our rules I would say the complet city is part of the covenant even if many people are not direct payed by us (as our only income source is Agriculture I even would say that most of the covenant is direct payed by us).

Because there no easy way in or out population increase and decrease in the city might cause large problems with work or food.

Today we where for 1h only 2 players and even afterwards just 3.

As this is realy bad I start to wonder if we should look for new players.

The problem is that we have no info from CJ if he comes back after the Grand Tribunal.

So fare he missed my complet adventure with the excuse that he have some problems with his foot.

Also Freespace only is in the group at less then 1/2 the time we play.

It would be great if we get clear infos from them if they want to continue or not so we could look for new players.

Ohh and if anyone dont like it how a GM handle the things then bether say so and not leaf us hanging without giving any infos!

(Given that I'm missing the next 2 week the chances are not to low that Wits also expirience the same problems like I did today)

Are people (other than Schwarzbart) able to play next Saturday the usual time?

As for Schwarzbart's player question, I think we should presume that Freespace and CJ can't participate more than they currently do. I also think we can't expect people to participate all the time, although it would be desirable to know beforehand. As such, I think it might be a good idea to look for one or two new players. Should we perhaps consider compiling an "introduction" post that summarizes the covenant's situation and links to all relevant information, and post an advertisement link to the post on the Atlas forums?

Archived