Black Chicken Studios Forums

Introducing: The One, The Only... MR PEBBLES!

freespace2dotcom

WARNING! This is a LOT of reading! Also, I've worked on this on and off again over a fairly long period of time. In NOTEPAD. (I had to reformat the whole frigging thing for the site!) Therefore, if you come across a portion where there should be some writing and isn't any, it's probably because I got tired of writing that part and forgot to finish it. It's very unlikely, but with something of this size... (just let me know) There are 2 random events here, as well as 2 adventures: a player adventure, and a familiar adventure.

Before we begin, I'd like to describe Mr. Pebbles. Here is a (poorly drawn) picture.

pebblesb.jpg

I envision him as roughly oval shaped, and having a glassy texture similar to (but not necessarily) obsidian.He seems to be perfectly the size to fit into a student's pocket, although at times it almost seems as though he can vary in size... He has a habit of saying non-sequiturs seemingly irrelevant to the situation at hand but in his mind there's a logic to the madness. He has a large number of almost superficial small cracks, chips and what could best be described as scorch marks. Also note the slight eye-shaped indentations. To a casual observer, Mr. Pebbles is an ordinary, if well-travelled rock. It would seem as though he had been the possession of someone else, who likely did everything possible to rid themselves of him. Very possibly he had been the possession of SEVERAL mages who tried their very best to *remove* him from existance. Apparently to no avail. For all intents and purposes he is indestructible. To clarify, Pebbles does not have telporting (gates) magic. (He would need something to point with for that) He does have the ability to move- especially when nobody is paying attention, and since he is a rock, few do pay attention.

This is the primary means as to how he "magically" appears on your person. He likely somehow snuck into your pocket when you were sleeping. Despite your dumping him off the side of an island, burying him under 10 feet of earth, or if even using Gates magic yourself, he always finds a way back to you. ...Very typically within a day or two....A week at most if you're REALLY lucky. It seems that fate itself consires to keep you two together. You've learned to tolerate it most of the time.

I'd also like to add as a background note that I'd like Mr. Pebbles to be (possibly) connected to the magics that hold the islands in the sky. Even if this is impossible lore-wise, I'd still like the player to still think "maybe.." Also, since Pebbles is the Pamela TO Pamela, it goes without saying that the player should want to get rid of Pebbles as soon as they can. Through his background I have ensured that he will always return as a familiar to the character, at least until the player character does an adventure in Y2 (or later if the player is lazy) which will allow the player character to "break the curse of Pebbles" by discovering his true history! (or if the player fails, then they should at least learn enough about the bond to break it by destroying Pebbles entirely and for good. (for evil or nontalented players who just want rid of him.)

Also, I know there are certain stories that check your familiar's name, and based on that the outcome of the story is a little different. I think Pamela in oan's tutorial is a good example of that. I haven't written anything for those cases but if you let me know of all of the important ones I can come up with something.

I don't have many rolls or stat rewards/penalties for the scenarios yet because I don't consider myself good on writing that. I also probably don't have the correct terminology as the game would use as well, but then this is but a first draft, which I will edit on feedback. That being said, let's go!

Background points required: -1

Name: Mr. Pebbles

Type: Rock

Breed: Igneous

Fitness: 2

Finesse: 1

Charm: 1

Strength: 1

Intellegence: 1

Insight: 1

Description: By selecting this background, you gain a rock (Specifically, Mr. Gabbro Pebbles, an Igneous rock of a somewhat Vitreous variety.) as a familiar. Note that you will *not* be able to easily get rid of this familiar.

You've always been averse to pets, thinking them as a waste of time. When you first started showing signs of magic, however, you stumbled across what can only be explained as an event of unbelievable luck! Unfortunately, your interpretation is that of bad luck, because as soon as you met him, he wouldn't shut up! Every attempt to rid yourself of his presence has proven futile as he always "magically" finds a way back onto your person... And it sure doesn't help that everybody finds it a bit odd that you constantly argue with a rock.

Familiar ability: Gabbalot.

Due to Mr. Pebbles' talkative nature, you suffer a stress minimum of 1 higher than it would be otherwise. In addition, You also suffer a 1% chance of failure to all spells thanks to Pebble's tendency to spoil concentration at a critical moment.

----------------------------------------------------------

Also, Having Mr. Pebbles as your familiar unlocks the unique action: "Attempt to get rid of Pebbles."

Description: Ever since you crossed paths with that stupid rock, you have been scheming and planning for that one glorious day when you will finally be permanently separated with him. While past attempts have been somewhat lackluster, that in no way dampens your enthusiasm for the next attempt! You've consulted "experts" on various subjects. You've given him to powerful wizards in your hometown who were interested in him. You've tried to mail him to Oursouk, Teique, and even once attempted to send him to the Onyx Isles! (That last one didn't end well.) But you know what they say: If at first you fail, then try try again. (and again and again and...)

This action can only be used once a week, and requires 30 pims per attempt. (for various materials and services required in the attempt) This automatically gives you 1 skill step each in dedication and creativity, as well as a 2 step reduction in stress. Passing a difficult Luck/Pure Luck roll of 15 grants you an additional 2 stress reduction due to the increased time away from Pebbles, as well as an increase of 2 skill steps to one random Dialectic, Engineering, or Sabotage subskill.

----------------------------------------------------------

Random event 1:

(This should probably be unlocked any time in the second half of the game)

Ugh... It's been three hours now and Pebbles won't quit! It's getting late and that homework assignment for <insert professor here> is due tommorrow! If you had some peace and quiet you could easily get it done, but it's so hard to concentrate when that stupid rock is going on about how great it is that cheese exists in both holed and hole-less varieties! It's become obvious, that rock has to stop. The only question is, how to do so that he doesn't return 5 minutes from now?

Just give up.(automatic success)

It's already late, and you've had enough experience with Pebbles to know it'd be an uphill fight to get any homework done. You can afford a missing assignment and it's going to be an early day tommorow, so you're better off not wasting time tonight when you might not even get anything done.

Raw Strength. Open the window and hurl him.

Success: You open the window and throw him with all your might. You waste no time and get to work immediately. Minutes pass, and then an hour and still no Pebbles! You can hardly believe it, and soon, your homework is done. Almost immediately after finishing, you notice his voice coming from your pocket. At this point, it's so late that you can easily tune him out and go to sleep.

Failure: You open the window and throw him with all your might. Unfortunately, barely a minute passes by before you have a visitor, who turns out to be <insert regent here> with a knot on <his/her> head, who just so happened to be passing by at a fateful moment. In <his/her> hands lies that blasted rock, and you just know that this conversation isn't going to be pretty.

Bluff. Tell Mr. Pebbles that you're going to sleep now.

success: Realizing that every time you've tried getting rid of it before, that rock just keeps coming back. You decide that the best way to deal with the pest is to trick it into thinking there's no reason to annoy you. You quickly tell it you're going to sleep, and promptly ignoring it for a half-hour lying motionless on your bed. Finally, it stops and without delay you pick up your quill and get to work. Who'd have thought that that would work?

Failure: Since every time you've tried getting rid of it before, that rock just keeps coming back. You think another way might be in order. You try telling Pebbles that you're going to sleep, but no matter how long you lay motionless on your bed, that rock just keeps babbling! Not only do you not get your homework done, but you didn't get any sleep either!

Gates. Send him far far away.

Success: Normally, you wouldn't risk doing this, but this is an important assignment! Besides, if it means a quiet night, it would be worth almost any risk! Taking out your wand, you draw the phemes and before you know it, that blasted rock is gone! Pausing only long enough to check your pockets, and finding them empty, you go to work. Soon after, you finish and hope beyond hope that Pebbles is gone forever.

Failure: This is the last straw! Surely if ANYTHING will work, a Gates spell will do the trick! Taking out your wand, you draw the phemes and before you know it.... Nothing happens. All of a sudden you feel faint! It seems that in your anger you miscast the spell and instead summoned a serious case of the Fae Flu! Not only do you not get your homework done, but you feel so terrible you can't move... And the rock STILL keeps rambling on all night long!

Pure Luck. Do absolutely nothing.

Success: Knowing from experience that conventional attempts at silencing the rock will fail, you decide to attempt reverse psychology. Ignore it completely! Amazingly, Pebbles actually starts snoring, which while annoying in it's own right, is far better than it's usual banter, You finish in no time, and go to sleep content in the knowlege that you won this round.

Failure: Deciding that only an unconventional approach will yield results, you decide to do absolutely nothing. Unfortunately, that results in (unsurprisingly) nothing changing in your situation. You give up and try to think up an excuse for <insert professor here>. Hopefully <he/she> will take pity on you. Unlikely, but the thought is all you can rely on.

Flirting. Introduce him to Miss Pumice.

Success: Realizing that a distration is needed, you quickly weigh your options, and remember that you have a pumice stone from an earlier class experiment. With a little touching up, Pebbles is quickly taken by "Miss" Pumice. Suggesting that they have some privacy, you put them in your closet and with renewed vigor quickly finish your assignment. Now that's using your head!

Failure: Drawing a blank as to what to do, you decide to dress up a pumice stone you've had lying around from an earlier class experiment. After some touching up you quickly introduce the two, and realize in horror, that you can hear them BOTH! Now you have TWO stupid rocks distracting you! ARGH!

---------------------------------------------------------

Random event 2: (For students who share Revision class with Phillipe Marchant)

That was too easy! You passed that Pop Quiz with no effort! Unfortunately, whether due to noticing your smile, the fact that you were practically doing cartwheels in the hallway, or simply due to being in the wrong place at the wrong time, Phillipe Marchant is now staring you down with that look you've become all too familiar with. Mr. Pebbles quickly shouts from your pocket "I love the part where they kiss!" Either ignoring or unaware of the rock's sudden outburst, Phillipe adopts his most threatening stance - And it is very threatening - and says "All right, <Player's last name>, I know you did well on that quiz, so I'm gonna make you an offer: Either you do this extra credit assignment for me or you get turned into a toad. it's Your choice." You very much hate the smirk he's giving off right now. Well, The clock's ticking... What are you going to do?

Do the assignment (auto success)

Well, to be honest, you're not very interested in being a toad for a day. And since you were already planning on doing this assignment, it'd probably be best just to give Phillipe a copy. When the next class comes around, you find you've got to put up with detention for (supposedly) copying Philipe's work, but you reason that that's still a step up from spending a day hopping around.

Composure. Just get it over with.

Success: You're in such a good mood from passing that pop quiz that you don't think anything can possibly ruin this day. You tell Phillipe that he can do his worst. As the world grows all around you, you realize that the extra credit assignment was to use a Revision spell in such a way that nobody else would do! Go figure, we're talking about <Professor Aventare> here! Well, nobody else in their right mind would turn themselves into a toad, so this technically counts! And Phillipe wouldn't dare take credit for it lest he risk detention! (He really can't afford any more in his schedule!) While he and the other students in the hallway laugh, you merrily hop back into the Revision classroom and catch <Professor Aventare> before she leaves! She's so impressed that you'd be so bold that she not only gives you the extra credit, but turns you back to normal too! Win!

Failure: Just who is Philippe here, to ruin what would otherwise be such a glorious day? You tell him to do his worst, and so he does. You try to just shake it off, but being so small - and slimy - while everyone who sees you laughs without mercy as you hop your way to the infirmary just crushes what remains of that euphoria you had not so long ago. Why couldn't someone else have aced that quiz?

Negation. Make my day, punk!

Success: You've got Negation down, cold. If Phillipe thinks he can intimidate you, it had better be in something non-magical because he will NOT get past your defences! In a single moment Phillipe realizes what you're about to do, and you both whip out your wands and rapidly draw phemes. You both finish at the same time and let your spells loose. They collide in spectacular fashion, and for a split second you can almost feel the phemes interreacting! However, Phillipe's spell is already dissolved, while yours kept going and a very thoroughly embarrased Phillipe is now hovering a good four feet off the ground. You casually holster your wand, walk right past him, and say "Keep practicing!" What a glorious day!

Failure: You've got Negation down, cold. If Phillipe thinks he can intimidate you, it had better be in something non-magical because he will NOT get past your defences! In a single moment Phillipe realizes what you're about to do, and you both whip out your wands and rapidly draw phemes. You both finish at the same time and let your spells loose. They collide in spectacular fashion, and for a moment you can almost feel the phemes interreacting! However, your spell is already dissolved, while Phillipe's kept going and a very thoroughly embarrased <Player's name> is now a good 6 inches tall and very slimy. Phillipe casually holsters his wand, walks right past you, and says "Keep practicing!" That suddenly seems like a very good idea. But first, you'll have to hop and find a person who's better at Negation than you thought you were...

Familiar Kinship. Maybe that rock will be good for something today! (this requires an "Not-roll". Meaning, if you succeed the roll, then it's a failure, and vice versa)

Success: (you failed the roll) You tell Phillipe that he's not getting a free ride at your expense. He takes it as well as can be expected, and without a moment's hesitation (You don't care for that rock's well-being) you whip out Mr. Pebbles from that pocket he's been hiding in while gabbing and annoying you all day! The spell that Phillipe casts hits that stupid rock. But at that exact moment something unexpected happens! An ISLANDQUAKE! Phillipe loses his balance and falls over but all in all, the quake was pretty minor and was over pretty fast. Was that just a cooincidence? Either way, you're not a toad, so you run before Phillipe gets a second chance at it.

Failure: (you passed the roll) You tell Phillipe that he's not getting a free ride at your expense. He takes it as well as can be expected, and and with just a moment's hesitation (is it possible you might be getting a bit soft on him?) you whip out Mr. Pebbles from that pocket he's been hiding in while gabbing and annoying you all day! However, you're a bit too slow, and now you're a small, slimy toad. If it's any consolation (And it isn't, really) You now have to hop to the infirmiry while listening to Pebbles ramble on about why it's so much fun to hang upside down. Ugh.

---------------------------------------------------------

The Player adventure...

Step 1. A rocky situation...

Oh great... For class today, <insert professor here> has assigned everyone to a familiar "Familiarizing" class.

Due to the nature (Or rather, sheer size..) of several students familiars, <insert professor here> has ushered the entire class out to the athletic fields. "The objective of this excersize is to enable you all to increase your friendship and understanding with your familiars" notes <professor> "And one of the best ways, if not THE best way to do this is to share experiences with each other." <professor> then continues to say that the best experiences are those that require mutual cooperation and dialog, and produces an enchanted pim from <his/her> robe."Your task is to work together with your familiars and locate this coin, but remember that the journey is just as important as the destination. You will be graded on how well you work together." And with a smile summons a giant wind which blows the coin quickly out of sight. Everybody starts dispersing while you just stand there, realizing just how utterly screwed you are. Seriously. This is looking to be even worse than that time when Cyrus Dawes flubbed that Astrology question in front of Professor Badcrumble! The whole school heard about that one! You need to "cooperate" and "work together" with. that. useless. ROCK!? "I sure hope I get to meet a ninja today!" exclaims Mr. Pebbles. Clearly that blasted rock is not going to be a huge help. Even if you were willing to try, a rock just can't do much. You desperately need a plan! What to do?

Observation. See what the others are doing.

Success. It seems you're in luck. Most of the other students are going in the direction that they saw that pim go. Knowing that with magic, the odds of the coin actually landing in that direction are slim, you might have a shot at getting it if you can make a good guess as to where it is.

Failure. You look around, but you were so focused on how screwed you were that most of the students are already gone and you have no idea which direction they went to. Pebbles notes that he's so exited to not be a sedimentary rock. You get the sudden urge to blast him with the most powerful spell you know, but lack the motivation to try.

Logic. Where would the coin land?

Success. At times like this, the best option is always to stay collected. Calmly, recollect the spell used, and examine the natural wind patterns, the direction the coin went, the temperature, and humidity. After careful thought, you conclude that natural factors should have been more instrumental than the spell itself. You narrow the possible location where you think it might have landed. You might just have a chance yet.

Failure. Panicing at the situation, you desperately clutch for any idea that might help you calm your thoughts. unfortunately, you think of none and thus spend the rest of class standing in the same spot... Listening contstantly Pebble's insistance to "dig right here for buried treasure!"

Planning. How will you search?

Success. Ignoring Mr. Pebbles' blabbering, you bring out a map and lay out an efficient search pattern in the areas you deem to be the most likely resting places. It may be a rather large amount of land to cover, but with your wits and some luck you might actually still come ahead.

Failure. "I wonder what would happen if I was a griffon?" Says Pebbles. Thinking on how cool a griffon familiar would be instead of a stupid rock completely distracts you and thus you are unable to come up with any plan... Except someday getting an actual griffon familiar to replace a certain stupid rock. Well, you can dream....

Astrology. Look to the heavens for assistance.

Success. You are completely stumped as to what to do, so you decide to fall back to your emergency plan "Z". You pull out your star charts and realize that today, the planets Ocupater and Ianuus: The Eye and the Door, are aligned with the sun! The alignment associated with locating things?! Perfect! You carefully examine the chart and realize that if it wasn't daytime, you would see Ocupater just over the horizon, so you head in that direction.

Failure. Realizing that your horoscope today said that "You have to say no to someone or something, and it's hard!" You decide that it would be best to ignore pebbles as much as possible. You'd do that anyway, but this is as good an excuse as any. Regretfully, that doesn't much help you in finding anything...

Familiar Kinship. Ask Pebbles for assistance. Seriously.

Success. Well, this IS about teamwork, and that only begins with dialog, so after a minute to work up your normal aversion to talking to him, you ask him his thoughts. Surprisingly, he responds "Any way, let's GO!" While not encouraging, per se, it is a rare relevant response, so you shrug, pick a random direction, and go for it.

Failure. You decide that, with the situation as grim as it is, it couldn't hurt to ASK pebbles. You swallow your pride... And not entirely to your surprise, his response, "I LIKE princesses!" is extremely nonsensical. Just great... So much for that idea. Let's hope that <Professor> is sympathetic to the "lousy rock" excuse...

--------------------------------------------------------

Step 2. Between a rock and a hard place

So here you are, marching along with Mr. Pebbles by your side. It would almost be a pleasant day, if not for the gravity of your situation and that rock's tendency to blabber. Suddenly you come upon <classmate> and <his/her> <familiar breed>. "If it isn't <player> and <his/her> rock!" <he/she> says. "I hope you aren't planning on winning this thing, because frankly, a rock is possibly the lamest familiar you could get!" Now those words sting! It's bad enough you have to put up with a stupid talking rock, but you don't need to put up with this! "You might as well give up. It's obvious that me and <classmate's familiar's name> are going to win this." <he/she> continues. This is intolerable! You really don't have the time for this but <classmate> is asking for it. Especially since <he/she> only has a <classmate's familiar's breed>! "Knock it off!" you say. Pebbles adds "There's only enough room for ME in <player's> pocket!" As usual that rock won't shut up, and even though you're quite sure that <classmate> can't hear Pebbles, it doesn't help your ability to handle this. <classmate's familiar> is looking pretty ornery too. You almost can't believe that a <classmate's familiar's breed> can look THAT intimidating! You really need to continue on, and if you can get Mr. Pebbles to shut up for a while, then that would be a welcome bonus. Exactly how will you accomplish this?

Character study. How aware is <classmate>?

Success. After a quick glance, you notice that a small fairy is flying around behind <classmate>! Both are completely oblivious to each other! An idea suddenly flashes in your mind. This is going to be perfect if you can pull it off!

Failure. You look and look for any weakness, but <classmate> notices your attempt. "Pay attention" <he/she> says. You're not going to find anything out like this. Looks like you're back to square one.

Revision. "Make my Pebbles GROW!!!"

Success. Well, if <classmate> thinks that Pebbles is lame, maybe <he/she> should have the opportunity to experience him first hand! With animal-like quickness you take your wand and draw the phemes almost before <classmate> can blink, and then before <he/she> can analyse the situation, Mr pebbles grows to an enormous size! "I can see the sky from here!" exclaims pebbles! "Don't worry about that! Get them! quickly!" Pebbles starts rolling just as <classmate> hits him with a negation spell. However, it doesn't work nearly fast enough, and <classmate> and <classmate's familiar> flee for their lives! This is the first time Pebbles has ever come in handy. A tear almost comes to your eye. Almost.

Failure. You ponder for a moment, and decide that if you are going to have any chance at escaping, you'll (begrudgingly) need Pebbles' assistance. With animal-like quickness you take your wand and draw the phemes almost before <classmate> can blink, and then before <he/she> can analyse the situation, Mr pebbles grows to an enormous size! "Go get them, Pebbles!" You yell! But sadly, That stupid rock is rolling off in the other direction chasing some fairy. "I want to play with youuuuuu!" He yells. Unfortunately, you don't have as much time to be carefree, as <classmate> and <classmate's familiar> definately have a look in their eyes that the next few seconds are going to be unpleasant for you. Stupid rock!

Rhetoric. Convince <classmate> to leave you alone.

Success. "Look." you say. "Even if I was in a good position to get that coin, you're only hurting yourself by stalling me instead of looking for it yourself." You go on to explain that eventually, someone else will find the coin, and neither of you will benefit from that. <Classmate> pauses for a second, and then says "You're right! Come on <classmate's familiar>, we have to make up for lost time." And rushes off. It's such a nice feeling to appeal to someone's common sense. Mr. Pebbles remarks that he wanted some "lost time" too. Ugh.. The sooner this is over with the better.

Failure. You explain to the best of your ability why you are not the number one candidate for this excercise, going to great effort to use large words in order to make yourself look like a smart person would be. Unfortunately, the more you go on and on, the less enthused <classmate> seems to be! When you finally finish, <classmate> says, "About time, you make absolutely no sense, you know that!?" And then goes off on a lecture about how you should try convincing people, and you get the feeling you're not going to get away any time soon.

Glammour. Create a distraction.

Success. Realizing that the only way you're going to get free from <classmate> is to make <him/her> pay attention to something else. But what? "Let's get a suntan!" says pebbles. Suddenly it hits you! Carefully masking your movements. You begin drawing the phemes and presto! In an instant, a second "sun" appears not more than a few feet above <classmate> and <clasmate's familiar> They quickly freak out and you flee as fast as you can in the confusion. Now you can return to trying to find that coin.

Failure. The best solution to problems like these is to flee, and the best way to do that (and not have anybody follow) is to make them think you're still there. "What's that over there!" you yell at the top of your lungs! "I don't see any-" <classmate> starts as <he/she> turns around. You waste no time drawing the phemes for a spell that will create the illusion that you are still standing there but <classmate> turns back around too fast and sees you complete the illusion. <he/she> quickly dispels it and you don't think that you can talk your way out of this one..

Practical Jokes. Take advantage of the fairy situation. (Open on success of character study)

Success. "I don't want to scare you, but there's a gigantic wasp right behind you." You say. At first, <classmate> doesn't believe you, but the expression on your face convinces <him/her>. Pebbles oddly keeps <classmate's familiar> occupied by rolling back and forth. Slowly, <he/she> takes <his/her> wand and draws some phemes... And in one swift motion turns around and releases a massive wind spell! The fairy gets the brunt of the spell, but is largely unaffected. The fairy wastes no time in coming up to <classmate> to give a piece of her mind and you waste none getting as far away as possible.

Failure. You were just about to unleash your ultimate fairy-prank when suddenly! Your mind is blank! You actually can't remember what you were about to do! That is so UNFAIR! "I think we could all use a hug!" says Pebbles. You begin to think that your time with that rock is damaging your memory. And you're still stuck trying to get away from <classmate>! ARGH!!

------------------------------------------------------------

Step 3. ...On the rocks...

Time is running out. It's obvious that nobody has found that pim yet. Everyone seems to be running around aimlessly, But you have a plan. You've been meticulous, searching in every nook and cranny for that thing, and you're beginning to think you may have missed it. All of a sudden, out of the corner of your eye, you see something shiny in the sky. You turn around and....There it is!!! It's in the beak of a small bird, flying just low enough for everyone to see the coin! Everyone has been looking for it on the ground, so of course they wouldn't notice it in the sky! What a crafty person <professor> is! Nobody would expect that! You don't know how <he/she> did it but it certainly can't be cooincidence! And then the bird, as if aware of your presence, starts to fly away. You need to chase after that bird quickly, but at the same time you don't want to do so in a way as to announce to the class "Hey, I found it!"The last thing you need is for every single person alerted to the location of the grand prize."I'm so hungry I could eat a BOULDER!" exclaims the stomachless Mr. Pebbles. Actually, You're kind of hungry too...

FOCUS! You can't let that stupid rock distract you now! Bird! Pim! Chase! Subtle!

How exactly are you going to accomplish this?

Birds. What kind of bird is it? (This is an "observation" exit)

Success. Knowing exactly what kind of bird it is will no doubt give you an advantage in dealing with it. After carefully looking at the bird, you see it has a black cap and nape that encircle large white cheek patches, so it's most likely a Red-cockaded Woodpecker, which is a little peculiar, but at least now you have an idea as to where you might find it. Just in time, too, since the bird is just about to fly beyond your ability to see.

Failure. Realizing that identifying the kind of bird it is will greatly increase your chances of figuring out, you look for the bird in the hopes of identifying any trait of it. Unfortunately, while you were thinking, the bird flew beyond sight and thus you cannot identify it anymore. Mr. Pebbles remarks: "Oooooh, a bunch of grass!" While laying in some. You manage to hold your temper, but just barely.

Scouting. Which trees have signs of woodpecker nests? (enabled on success of Birds)

Success. Although you can no longer see it, you reason that a bird would likely return to its nest if it found an item that struck it's fancy. You begin to look for signs of any woodpecker nests, and before long, you come across a large hole under the branch of a giant Oak tree on the edge of the field. An alert observation reveals that this is not the best maintained part of the campus. A quick glance tells you that you're far enough away from the rest that nobody is paying any attention to you. You climb up the tree and BINGO! You see the enchanted Pim amongst various other coins! Clearly this bird has a penchant for shiny things! You grab the pim and pocket the other coins, before you quietly climb down... Only to notice that all the students are right before you with a look of greed in their eyes. (reward maybe 20-30 pims.)

Failure. After a good half-hour looking around for a potential woodpecker nest, you realize you're running out of time. You start frantically running around and as a result, your attention to detail drops quickly. You find a robin's nest, a pidgeon's nest, and even a crow's nest (on a airship that happened to pass by) but sadly, no woodpecker's nest. Time runs out and it turns out nobody wound up finding the enchanted pim. Bummer.

Mastery. Why do something that can be done for you?

Success. After thinking about it, the best solution for your situation would be to make the bird come to you. You realize that in order to do this, though, you'll have to find a decent hiding spot to ensure nobody sees you doing this. You find a quiet spot in the shade of a tree while the bird thankfully seems to be almost patiently waiting for you to do your thing. You carefully draw the phemes, not wanting to botch it and make another attempt, and release the spell. You feel the bird resisting the spell, but it's just a bird. It's will quickly snaps and you get it to quietly drop the Pim at your feet, giving you tremendous satisfaction. You consider making the bird give Phillipe a retalitory "Present" for last week, but decide not to push it. You pick up the Pim, cancel the spell, and turn around only to see <random classmate> looking at you. "OH! You got the coin!!!" <he/she> exclaims at the top of <his/her> voice. After you recover from panic, you calmly realize that <classmate> didn't see you cast the spell, but is simply amazed that you found the Pim. Of course the volume of that exclamation means that now you have to find a way to deal with all your classmates who now stand before you with greedy looks in their eyes...

Failure. You don't really feel like chasing down a stupid bird for that pim, so you quietly slink off to a shady spot under a tree. You're a bit nervous about casting this spell in such an open area, so you concentrate heavily on drawing the phemes. Just as you are about to finish, you hear: "What are you doing?" In the blink of an eye, you instantly cancel the spell, turn around and say "nothing!" Instantly realizing that that was not the best response you could have done. You see that the person who asked you was none other than <random classmate> who looks at you mischieviously. "Oh, really?" <he/she> replies. And casually walks off with a grin on <his/her> face. You have no idea if <he/she> knows what you were up to but you sure aren't going to ask.

Running. Why bother being subtle if you're faster?

Success. After much thought, you realize that as long as you are the one who aquires the coin first, and make a straight straight line back to <professor> then it doesn't matter if the other students see you or not. You quickly run in the same direction as the bird. The other students quickly notice you running and the object of your pursuit. The bird lands on an Oak tree at the edge of the fields, complete with the coin in it's beak. You quickly cast a gravity increasing spell on the bird while running. You waste no time on pride over your accomplishment, and as the bird is forced down by the added gravity, it drops the enchanted pim in order to keep from falling. Without missing a beat you rush to the tree and pick up the pim just a moment before the first students can reach you, but now they've got you surrounded, and they have an unnerving look of greed in their eyes...

Failure. You realize that at the rate things are going, you are very unlikely to acquire that pim, so desperate times call for desperate measures. You run after that bird as fast as you can. Everybody notices you running and looks in the direction that you're running in. They see the bird and put two and two together, but before anybody can act, the bird suddenly drops the pim into the hands of <random classmate> by a way that clearly was a complete coincidence. So much for your running idea. Stupid bird. "Can I get a pocket warmer today?" Asks Pebbles. Stupid Rock. ARGH!!

-------------------------------------------------

Step 4. A Fist Full of Pebbles!!! (Magic options for this step are intended to be "wandless" And thus the skill difficulty should reflect that.)

You've really done it this time... With every student from your class and their familiars facing you, you are clearly outnumbered by such a bad margin that it's very unlikely that you're going to get out of this intact. You're going to need to keep your wits about you and think up a plan that not only will let you keep the pim, stay in one piece, and out of detention as well. You sure hope that whatever you might come up with, it's good, and FAST! "Ooh! Group hug!" Exclaims Mr. Pebbles.

Leadership. Lead everyone to the professor.

Success. Without even thinking, you quickly blurt out "All right everyone, we've got it! Let's head back to <professor> and show <him/her> our amazing teamwork skills!" The whole group cheers, while the familiars... Well, they sound happy. Condfidently, you march back with the entire class with the coin triuphantly held in your hand raised to the sky for all to see. When <Professor> says that credit will be given to only the one who returned the pim, everyone starts giving you the evil eye but you could care less. You're the one with the pim in hand, and they wouldn't dare try anything now.

Failure. Without even thinking, you quickly blurt out "All right everyone, we've got it! Let's head back to <professor> and show <him/her> our amazing teamwork skills!" Unfortunately, it's painfully obvious to everyone that 1. Your tone of voice completely betrayed your intent to keep all the credit and 2. everyone else intends to keep the credit! The crowd descends upon you, and when you wake up in the infirmary much later, you find out that <professor> got in some serious trouble for not keeping a close enough eye on the class, and in keeping with tradition, some of that trouble found a way down to you. You won't be forgetting this day any time soon. (-vitality, -relations with professor, 5 demerits)

Glammour. Coin? What coin?

Success. Realizing that any obvious magic use will be dealt with "extreme prejudice" by the entire group of encreasingly threatening students, you decide that the only way to pull this off is by casting without the use of your wand. You've seen it done before, but anything other than a relatively simple wand retrieval would normally be outside of your skill level. Thus nobody would expect it. While cleverly distracting all the attention to your hand holding the pim, you quickly draw the phemes for Betrayal of the senses and, incredibly, everyone turns away and runs in terror as your pim (appears) to turn into a dreaded Black Chicken. Not exactly what you were expecting, but it'll do. You're already almost to <professor> when they realize that they've been had, but you could care less, as they wouldn't dare try anything now.

Failure. Realizing that any obvious magic use will be dealt with "extreme prejudice" by the entire group of encreasingly threatening students, you decide that the only way to pull this off is by casting without the use of your wand. You've seen it done before, but anything other than a relatively simple wand retrieval would normally be outside of your skill level. Thus nobody would expect it. With all the attention on your hand holding the pim, you quickly draw the phemes for the Betrayal of the senses spell and, incredibly, Nothing happens. The crowd descends upon you, and when you wake up in the infirmary much later, you find out that <professor> got in some serious trouble for not keeping a close enough eye on the class, and in keeping with tradition, some of that trouble found a way down to you. You won't be forgetting this day any time soon. (-vitality, -relations with professor, 5 demerits)

Revision. Maybe they should be tangled up...

Success. Realizing that any obvious magic use will be dealt with "extreme prejudice" by the entire group of encreasingly threatening students, you decide that the only way to pull this off is by casting without the use of your wand. You've seen it done before, but anything other than a relatively simple wand retrieval would normally be outside of your skill level. Thus nobody would expect it. While cleverly distracting all the attention to your hand holding the pim, you quickly draw the phemes for a nice simple spell. Soon, vines are sprouting from the ground and grabbing everyone but you. You're almost to <professor> when the spell starts to wear off, but you could care less, as they wouldn't dare try anything now.

Failure. Realizing that any obvious magic use will be dealt with "extreme prejudice" by the entire group of encreasingly threatening students, you decide that the only way to pull this off is by casting without the use of your wand. You've seen it done before, but anything other than a relatively simple wand retrieval would normally be outside of your skill level. Thus nobody would expect it. With all the attention on your hand holding the pim, you quickly draw the phemes for a simple vine growing spell and, incredibly, Nothing happens. The crowd descends upon you, and when you wake up in the infirmary much later, you find out that <professor> got in some serious trouble for not keeping a close enough eye on the class, and in keeping with tradition, some of that trouble found a way down to you. You won't be forgetting this day any time soon. (-vitality, -relations with professor, 5 demerits)

-----------------------------------

Step 5. Rocked to the core!

As it so happens, you were the one who managed to return with the pim successfully in hand. You confidently return it to <professor> Who congratulates you, but... "Well, it seems you're quite capable, young <player's last name> but you really didn't rely much on teamwork, did you?"

Give up. Let's face it, you were never meant for this challenge in the first place. (Autosuccess.)

You gave it your all in spite of adversity. but some challenges are designed in a way where you can't win no matter what. In your case, you just got a bum familiar in a contest where you needed something with a little more ability. "I saw a deer!" Says Pebbles. Having a familiar that talked less would be a big plus, too.

Persuasion. Convince your professor that you have a handicap here.

Success: Utilizing your most powerful skills at convincing others, you create an argument that, when simplified, basically says that your familiar did, in fact, assist you. However the assistance that was given was the incorrect type and thus it forced you to rely more upon your own skills than the average student might otherwise do. You aren't lying, that's for certain! "Yes, I understand. I suppose you did try your best." <professor> says. SCORE!

Failure. You come up with a long-winded rant on how much you hate that stupid rock and why you could never work together with it because if you ever did it would literally cause you to die. The heavens themselves demand it to be so. Despite all the carefully calculated logic, however, <professor> is not convinced. You hate that rock even more.

-----------------------

Step 6. A Stony Revelation

"You know," <professor> says. I've seen some things in my time, but I've never heard of a familiar quite like <pebbles>. You ask about the professor what <he/she> means. "Well, <pebbles> doesn't fit into any of the known categories of familiars at all, and furthermore, being made out of a volcanic rock... I can't quite place my hand on it, but I suspect that your familiar there might just have been touched by the magic that holds us all in the sky."

That's an incredible thing! (autosuccess)

Who would have guessed that such an annoying and stupid rock could be so special?

"Guess whoo!? It's ME!!" Exclaims Pebbles.

Well, probably only a little special.

End Adventure. Reward for the adventure: Add 1 Lucky Pim. Add 3 extra credit for the random class that was chosen.

Description of Lucky Pim. This enchanted coin will increase one's Pure luck and confidence subskills by 1. Recieved from a class excersize for increasing kinship with one's familiar. While it technically may not make you lucky, it does make you FEEL lucky. Doesn't it, Punk?

------------------------------------

(Note: Due to Mr. pebbles being an "unwanted" familiar, which people would want to get rid of when given the opportunity, the requirements for this adventure should be lower than the standard adventure for familiars. Completing this adventure *should* be a prerequisite for being able to get rid of him in Y2. The idea being that the sudden nonsubtle return of the stupid rock would push the player character to finally get rid of him.) Alternatively, you could set the skill requirements to be VERY high and make it so that the way that the rock takes is largely due to his poor skills in the matter. Such as failing a pure luck roll means he has BAD LUCK and it rubs off on those who are near him at the time. (ususally for the better)

Step 1. A Long Voyage. (the familiar adventure) (requirement to access: 100 Pims)

It Looks like it's time for that game again! "Find the way back home!" This is one of your favorite games, and it looks like this is going to be the best one EVER!!! All of the mages you've ever been with loved playing this game with you, though none have ever put as much effort into it as your current one. "I LOVE ADVENTURE" You scream, while <player name> is talking with one of <his/her> friends about <player's college> winning a game against <rival college/random if none>. You know it's time for the game because your mage has a nice comfy box lying on <his/her> bed, It looks like it'll fit you PERFECTLY! You're so happy right now, you could scream! In fact, you will! "YEAAAAAAAAAHHH!" Whether or not the game starts tonight, you're not sure, but it can't be very far away! The box has an address on it!

What does it say? (auto success)

You move closer to the box so that you can read it.

------------------------------------

Step 2. A journey down under.

The Address on the box is in beautifully legible handwriting! Your mage has gotten pretty good at that. It has also been enchanted to prevent smearing! That's great! "Enchantment!? ENCHANTMENT!" You exclaim happily! Clearly your mage doesn't want the game to end too fast by having the box return because the address couldn't be read! The address itself is to a "Mustapha the Arcane" who has a magical curiosity shop somewhere in Oursouk! How Exciting! You've only been there like 5 times ever! <Player's name> is counting <his/her> money to pay for postage, but does <he/she> have enough?

OH YEAH, TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT! (pay 100 pims) (autosuccess)

<Player's Name> Is putting you in the box right now! "Now be a good stupid rock and disappear for good this time!" <he/she> exclaims. You know though, that anyone who has such a passion for you couldn't possibly mean that! Silly mage! Judging from all the string here it looks like you're not going to fall out of the box and get lost either! So thoughtful!

Looks like your mage is feeling a little cheap tonight! (non penalty exit)

It seems though the game won't start tonight, though you know it won't be long. Your mages always get that look in their eye when the game is going to be played. "I LOVE EYES" You happily exclaim.

-----------------------------------------

Step 3. The rock who said boo!

It's been a week now since you've been put in this comfy box. Some rocks might be a bit lonely, but after singing "The song that fails to end" for a few hours, you cheer right back up! It's one of your favorite songs, mostly because it's always gotten such a passionate response from all of your mages! Especially your most recent! ..But wait! It's gotten so noisy all of a sudden! Could you be there already!? You barely have time to ponder when the box opens and you see... A sky pirate? "What th'!? Who in blazes 'ould pay a Malin to move a bloody ROCK!" It seems that you were being shipped by a merchant who makes occasional runs to Oursouk without any armed escort! That ship is now being towed by a Pirate ship... which you are now on! The pirate holding you and one other seem to be going through the former contents of the merchant ship's hold looking for valuables. The crew of the merchant ship seem to be tied up very close by.

...Though honestly you don't care about any of that! You need to start making friends with all these new people! "I don' like it, Squirlie" Says the second pirate. "This box here says it's supposed to go to some mage or other down in Ou'souk. I don't wanna be jinxed in'ta bein' no toad!" The first Pirate retorts. "No, you idiot. 'Dem mages are always thinkin' they're SOOO much smarter than everyone else, why, I wouldn't be none too surprised if this was some gold nugget or gem only DISGUISED to look like any worthless rock!" The two pirates are beginning to argue over you right by the edge of the ship. How do you want to proceed?

Befriend. Become best buds!

Success: "Let's be best buds!" you yell! Very loudly, in fact. Your sudden outburst startles the pirates so bad that they both take a step back, which causes one of them to fall over the railing and go overboard, while the other gets his foot caught on a rope which quickly snags him high up into the rigging of the ship. His sword falls from its scabbard and lands in such a way that it cuts the bindings of one of the merchant ship's crew memebers. This crew member quickly unties the others and they immediately subdue the remaining pirates (becuase they were mostly drunk from having just captured a merchant ship.) The merchants then take all things that were stolen from their hold, (including you.) plus everything that was in the pirate ship's hold, then destroy the pirate ship's sails so they can't follow the merchants. You're then thanked and put back in your comfy box.

Failure: "Let's be best buds!" you yell! The first pirate then says, "You know what? You're right, Stimper. Let's just sell it for whatever we can get for it in port." And so you're put back in the box. The second pirate adds: "I say we just toss it over the side and be done wit' it!"

Pure Luck. Say Hi!

Success: "HI!" You yell! Very loudly, in fact. Your sudden outburst startles the pirates so bad that they both take a step back, which causes one of them to fall over the railing and go overboard, while the other gets his foot caught on a rope which quickly snags him high up into the rigging of the ship. His sword falls from its scabbard and lands in such a way that it cuts the bindings of one of the merchant ship's crew memebers. This crew member quickly unties the others and they immediately subdue the remaining pirates (becuase they were mostly drunk from having just captured a merchant ship.) The merchants then take all things that were stolen from their hold, (including you.) plus everything that was in the pirate ship's hold, then destroy the pirate ship's sails so they can't follow the merchants. You're then thanked and put back in your comfy box.

Failure: "HI!" You yell! The first pirate then says, "You know what? You're right, Stimper. Let's just sell it for whatever we can get for it in port." And so you're put back in the box. The second pirate adds: "I say we just toss it over the side and be done wit' it!"

Passion. "I LOVE GOLD NUGGETS!"

Success: "I LOVE GOLD NUGGETS!" You yell! Very loudly, in fact. Your sudden outburst startles the pirates so bad that they both take a step back, which causes one of them to fall over the railing and go overboard, while the other gets his foot caught on a rope which quickly snags him high up into the rigging of the ship. His sword falls from its scabbard and lands in such a way that it cuts the bindings of one of the merchant ship's crew memebers. This crew member quickly unties the others and they immediately subdue the remaining pirates (becuase they were mostly drunk from having just captured a merchant ship.) The merchants then take all things that were stolen from their hold, (including you.) plus everything that was in the pirate ship's hold, then destroy the pirate ship's sails so they can't follow the merchants. You're then thanked and put back in your comfy box.

Failure: "I LOVE GOLD NUGGETS!" You yell! The first pirate then says, "You know what? You're right, Stimper. Let's just sell it for whatever we can get for it in port." And so you're put back in the box. The second pirate adds: "I say we just toss it over the side and be done wit' it!"

------------------------------

Step 4. The Arrival

Yet another week has passed. You feel that shaking sensation of being carried, and then before long... OH JOY! Another person has opened the box! This one looks much, much older. He sports a grey beard as well as the traditional Oursouk fez. "Ah, so you're the rock I've heard so much about!" he says. "Your mage has spent a fair bit of money not just to ship you here, but to keep you in my custody. I don't quite understand it myself, as magical artifacts like you are quite precious, though I don't often pass up the chance to get paid to receive something." Before anything else can be said however, a child around the age of <player's name> runs up to the older man clearly panicked, and says "Master Mustapha! Master Mustapha! Oumaima the Muddled is on her way here! We've got to-!" "Stay here, Child. I will deal with her." The old man interjects. He immediately puts you down on a desk in what appears to be his office, and leaves through the only door. The child nervously peeks through the barely opened door. You're free now. Are you going to see what kind of party is going on in the next room?

A Party!? You never miss a party! (autosuccess)

You can't help but wonder if you'll get a chance to sing a song for everybody!

-------------------------------

Step 5. A few pebbles short... (This step should let you try all exits one by one, and if you fail the rolls then you'll have "think about it" to come back later)

You quickly roll down to the floor, past the child and through the opening in the door. The child sees you leave but dares not follow or say anything that might draw any attention to himself. You're now clearly in a store, which deals in magical artifacts of any and all natures. You even spy books for learning Mastery and Gates on display here! Outside of Elumia's borders you can see ANYTHING! One of your former mages would have been tickled pink to be in this place! All of a sudden however, a dark haired woman walks though the store's entryway. She might almost be considered beautiful if it wasn't for all the smoke coming out of her eyes! She's got a VERY happy smile on her face so she can't be all bad, though! "Mustapha! Mustapha! It's been a long time! To see you here right now is a terrible crime!" She rhymes. Very catchy too. The old man, Mustapha quickly goes pale. "I've never once interferred with you, Oumaima! Why are you here?" Oumaima's smile broadens. "I go where I want! I do what I do! Why should I answer myself to you!?" The old man is stark white now, and looks at least three decades older than before. You ought to get him to teach your mage that trick! Oumaima continues: "I came on a whim, with many words to try. Now you are boring me, and so you shall die!" And near instantly zaps Mustafa with a Negation spell which makes him frozen in place, while the woman reaches in her robes, pulls out several more wands, and starts casually drawing the phemes for what looks to be a powerful spell with each pheme being drawn with a different wand. Oh, and she's doing this while while humming. This Oumaima must be one of the (in)famous Oursouk (very) insane (and deadly) mages!

... And She's got a really pretty voice, too!

What are you going to do?

Think about it for a second. (autosuccess non penalty exit if you're not ready and all other options have failed.)

This is so much fun! But you want to make sure you have just the right thing to say! Oumaima seems to be taking her sweet time, and Mustafa isn't going anywhere, so...

Voice. Aren't we forgetting someone here?

Success: You can't just sit back and be ignored! With so much happiness in the air, You've just got to partake in it! "Hey, I want to play, too!" You exclaim just as Oumaima releases her spell. The spell barely missed Mustafa, but it was definitey a Gates spell as the wall behind him simply, isn't, anymore. The spell on Mustafa wears off and he passes out, while a very cross Oumaima looks for the source of her distraction, and finally finds you! "I love magic!" You say. Oumaima's smile returns, and she replies: "Oh, finally! A rock that can speak! I've wanted one for about a week!" She promptly forgets what she was doing, scoops you up and leaves the shop. "Oh yeah! It's fun time!" You happily exclaim!

Failure: You can't just sit back and be ignored! With so much happiness in the air, You've just got to partake in it! "Hey, I want to play, too!" But it seems that the mad mage is a bit too self-absorbed in her humming to hear you. You'll have to try something else.

Gossip. Does she know that rocks have several uses?

Success: "I can dance!" You exclaim just as Oumaima releases her spell. The spell barely missed Mustafa, but it was definitey a Gates spell as the wall behind him simply, isn't, anymore. The spell on Mustafa wears off and he passes out, while a very cross Oumaima looks for the source of her distraction, and finally finds you! "I love magic!" You say. Oumaima's smile returns, and she replies: "Oh, finally! A rock that can speak! I've wanted one for about a week!" She promptly forgets what she was doing, scoops you up and leaves the shop. "Oh yeah! It's fun time!" You happily exclaim!

Failure: "I can dance!" You exclaim! But it seems that the mad mage is a bit too self-absorbed in her pheme-drawing to hear you. You'll have to try something else.

(Hidden exit)Gates Phemes. Ah, she's drawing the phemes wrong!

(Note: I imagine that she's drawing the phemes differently than Pebbles' (and Elumian mages) knows how to in this instance. This does not mean that she's drawing them incorrectly per se)

Success: "You need Practice!" You exclaim just as Oumaima releases her spell. The spell barely missed Mustafa, but it was definitey a Gates spell as the wall behind him simply, isn't, anymore. The spell on Mustafa wears off and he passes out, while a very cross Oumaima looks for the source of her distraction, and finally finds you! "I love magic!" You say. Oumaima's smile returns, and she replies: "Oh, finally! A rock that can speak! I've wanted one for about a week!" She promptly forgets what she was doing, scoops you up and leaves the shop. "Oh yeah! It's fun time!" You happily exclaim!

Failure: You need Practice!" You exclaim! But it seems that the mad mage is a bit too self-absorbed in her thoughts to hear you. You'll have to try something else.

---------------------------------------

Step 6. Into the Lion's Den (This step should have the "exits" as investigations, and you will need to complete at least two of them to allow the real exit to appear)

Oumaima is happily skipping along to somewhere. She reminds you quite a bit of your first mage. Always happy and casting spells! People looked at him the same way! She quickly comes to a stop and calls out: "Key of Monks, Get here now! Or else you, I will plow!" A monkey - clearly her familiar (the eye-smoke gives it away) - comes down from one of the rooftops carrying a mouse, (which seems to be someone else's familiar and does not look very happy though you can't guess why) and sits down on her shoulder. Oumaima then casts a spell, which teleports all four of you into what you'd guess is her laboratory, though it doesn't look much like one. The monkey goes off with the mouse in hand while Oumaima places you on a table right next to... Another rock! (A very ugly one, at that) She starts rhyming again. "A talking rock, I've always wanted to have! And so I shall turn you into a salve! A reagent to apply, it's all that I need! Then I'll mix you up with this weed! I've just got to complete this walk. And then, at last, my rock shall talk!" "Super!" you exclaim! She's positively glowing with enthusiasm! What could go wrong?

Endurance. Another game!? This one's called "get frustrated!"

Success: You're pretty impressed. Oursouk mages may be known for their usage of Gates, but Oumaima here is certainly not limited to that one field. She's tried Incantation, Revison, Negation, Astrology, and oddly, Glamours... Even Mastery! (That last attempt didn't work at all but even if it did you're not quite sure how a rock could hurt itself.) You're definitely having fun and Oumaima here is clearly getting frustrated so you're going to say that she's having fun with the game too!

Failure: Although it's taken a few hours, Oumaima does seem to be making slow but noticable progress wearing you down (literally) to dust. And she certainly is not lacking in dedication... Perhaps it's time to play a different game?

Wit. Or you two could play tongue twisters!

Success: Oumaima is using various spells in her attempts to turn you into paste. It's not the first time you've played this game, so you've an idea how to play it. It's always fun to see a mage get flustered! You test the waters: "Six sick hicks nick six slick bricks with picks and sticks!" Oumaima starts frowning and says "Be good and silent now, rock! I want to be able to hear my clock!" Oh, goody! This'll be real fun! You reply "Sounding by sound is a sound method of sounding sounds!" Oumaima now looks very angry and has lost her concentration, and is starting to use weaker spells that couldn't possibly harm a rock of your caliber! Just a little more! "A flea and a fly in a flue were imprisoned. So what could they do? Said the fly, 'Let us flee'. Said the flea, 'Let us fly'. So they flew through a flaw in the flue!" Oumaima's face is livid now, even exceeding the passions that your current mage has for you! "I've had more than I can chew! Stop the words at once, you flu- You flue- YOU FOOL!" Ah, you broke her rhyming! That's probably a first for the both of you! She's got that look in her eyes, too. MORE FUN, YEAH!

Failure: You don't know how, but every time you say something, no matter how catchy.... Nothing happens. Oumaima seems to be immune to your stony face which oozes charm! You also seem to be a bit shorter after all that hard work she's doing to erase you from existence! Maybe another game will work?

Famous songs. Does she know "The song that fails to end"?

Success: Although you prefer singing with accompaniment in front of an audience, you concede that you'll have to do it alone for the sake of the game. Naturally you pick out one you've had a large amount of practice singing these past couple of weeks. As you start off, Oumaima largely ignores you, focusing heavily on dissolving you through various magical means. Though as time goes on and you repeat the same main verse over and over again she starts slowing down on drawing her phemes! On the 486th repetition she finally stops casting spells , having completely broken her concentration and line of thought. It takes a good couple minutes of just staring into space before she recollects herself. then she just looks at you with that all-too-familiar look in her eyes

Failure: Sadly, even though you've been practicing this song for the past couple of weeks, your performance is a little lacking in your opinion. On the plus side, Oumaima thinks the tune is catchy and is humming it as you sing. On the minus side, you're losing the game! You'll have to think of another one.

It looks like you've left a mark on her personality. (autosuccess) (reveal after two previous successes on this step.)

As big a smile she had on her face when you both came in here, a grimace of equal or greater measure has replaced it. You're not sure what she's planning but no doubt it's going to be fun!

-----------------------------

Step 7. Return to sender.

Oumaima the mad mage may be many things.. You don't really know her so you can't say for sure. But, you can say that she does NOT have a lot of patience or temperment. She's lost the game you two have played, and so is being a bad sport. Even your mage has more grace than this! Ah, <player's name>! You sure do miss playing these games with <him/her>! Oumaima starts casting a big spell! "Stupid rock! I don't want you now! Leave me in piece after you go KAPOW!" The spell is a quite powerful incantation. You know this because the table you were just on is now in splinters, and everything in the room is in chaos! There are wands and books and broken vials strewn about all over the room! What's more! The support beams for the upper floor were broken in that massive explosion! All that can be heard is Oumaima's mad laughing. "THAT WAS FUN!!! LET'S DO THAT ONE AGAIN!" you yell, emerging from a crater in the wall. A silence falls over the room which boils over into the sound of powerful magic itself, as Oumaima starts casting an even bigger spell, but before she gets the chance, the ceiling collapes, and what seems like a couple hundred cages filled with animals - all familiars - come pouring down. Most of the cages are shoddily constructed and break once they hit the ground. The few that don't are opened by the now free familiars, and they all waste no time to escape in the confusion. Oumaima, thoroughly scratched from falling debris and with more than a few bite marks and ruined robes, slowly gets up and softly says "A curse you are to me... Just leave me be!" And stop having so much fun!? "NO WAY! We're best buds!" You yell! Perhaps what you said triggered a memory, or an insane magical insight of some sort (Who can tell with these sort of things?) but she becomes very lucid. (For an insane mage anyway!) Saying "Return from whence you came." With absolutely no emotion she uses a Gates spell which immediately tears you and other items in your immediate vicinity from her laboratory and sends you.....

Where is this spell bringing you? (autosuccess)

After a few moments being pushed through a magical tunnel, you and a bunch of debris from Oumaima's lab arrive on the other side with a loud roar and flashy lights until the tunnel closes itself off. You look up and find yourself next to YOUR MAGE! "I'm BAAAACK!" You happily exclaim! <Player's name>'s jaw is dropped pretty far down! You can tell that <he/she> thought that <he'd/she'd> never see you again! It'd bring a tear in your eye if you could cry! And everybody else in the classroom - Oh, yes, Your mage is in <random class> class right now - start whispering things, like "Was that just now....?" Professor <Classes' professor's name>, after regaining a modicum of composure, says "All right! Class is over for the day! <player's full name>! Come with me to the Legate's office!

Adventure end. Reward for the adventure: Add 5 Stress, Add 50 Pims (refund from Mustafa for failing to keep Pebbles) add 1 "Letter from Mustafa", Add 1 "Wand of Insanity"

Description of "Letter from Mustafa": "The letter reads: To my customer, Noble student of the Academagia. I regret to inform you that due to circumstances beyond my control, I have failed in my duty to you. Please accept this full refund of 50 pims for the services I could not render. I apologize and hope that you may still find it possible to do business with my establishment in the future."

Description of "Wand of Insanity": "The Wand of Insanity will increase all Gates subskills, and its parent skill by 1. In addition, it increases your Phemes and Palettes subskills by 1, but it also decreases your Patience, Temperance, and Reason subskills by 2. You found this wand when you were forced to clean up the mess of broken glass, splintered wood, and scorched stone that stupid rock left behind when it made it's surprise entrance in class. It's your only clue as to what on Choris happened while it was away. The wand is slightly longer than normal, and is tied up in powerful Gates magic, of which only a bit you can guess at. It glows beautifully in colors that you can't describe, which makes it especially hard to conceal. That said, This thing is illegal, and you definitely don't want to get caught with it, especially after that scene in class! (conceal rating 5)

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, sorry about that, I've got the exits bold now. I typed it all in notepad... Which doesn't have any fancy text editing ability. :P

when I pasted it to the forum it magically became double spaced, (I blame one of Nyaa's revision spells) and it took maybe 10 minutes of cleaning it up so it could be read at all. After having blazed through maybe a third of all the text you see up there in 3 days, where the rest was an on and off thing taking months, you can see how I just wanted to get the blasted thing posted. I'll see if I can't clean it up a little bit more, though.

Yea 1 more point for chars that plan to replace theyr familiar unless Exchange Familiar is blocked when you take this familiar.

Haha! The way I've got it all in my head, you will not be able to change familiars so easily. Your bond is with Mr. Pebbles, you see, and so long as he is around, it's difficult to create a new bond. I suppose a Mordivus character could have the stupid rock and one other, but that's not replacing him, is it?

...To TRULY get rid of Pebbles, you will need to [redacted]!

Oh-ho! I get to do it for real now! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

But I'm not as mean as the Legate, so I'll tell you that you need to learn and understand the magics that defines Pebbles in a future adventure before you can break the bond for good.

I've got an outline idea for the next adventure or two for Mr. Pebbles, but I'm not going to write a Y2 adventure until I've run through Y2 a couple times.

Speaking of which, Legate. Can you tell us how the Adventure system works for Y2? You said that we won't be able to do Y1 Adventures.. Am I going to need to write 4 adventures to cover all possible scenarios?

Freespace has joined the hidden order of mad mages. I weep for you.

But that means I have a new prey to hunt!laugh.gif

Anyway, I raise a cup of root beer in hopes of the PC finally successfully sending away Mr. Pebbles and realising he/she misses the thing.

Well, that just means that your artist is too busy making awesome stuff for Y2, right?

I think we can all live with that. ;)

hmm. Please let us know if/when the Familiar switching prevention issue can be resolved or not... I'd rather make a few tweaks to the story than have it put up and not make any sense.

(Maybe use him in Y4 or so when it's time for a second familiar, HA!)

Now as fare I know there is only 1 ability in year 1 that allows you to change your familiar (and a other to remove it complet with no way to get a familiar ever again).

The changing for the familiar is at Zoology 11 and so nothing easy to get (never managed to get it bevore the midterm exams)!

But for year 2 there is a much biger issue as acording to what I remember the Legate have told us we even can buy new familiar to replace our old one.

Over all I would suggest to forcestart some part of your adventure / events bevore the winterbreak.

Personally, I don't think it's that much of a problem. I'd definitely keep the familiar if only for the story. Characters with flaws are much more fun to play with, after all and at the end of it we're the ones controlling our characters despite their complaints. I think mine would love a quiet day of studying in, despite me spamming Adventure.

Even if a character hits Zoology 11, there could be dozens of reasons as to why the student doesn't follow through to it: finally got attached to the bugger, is waiting for a specific familiar, wants to learn more about the magic around Pebbles, not to mention the possibility that you could get an even worse familiar. We know it's not true, but a student with as much bad luck as to get a rock as one would definitely be wary.

• 3 weeks later...

I've since redone him a fair bit better, and that redo is the image I have up now, but... Yeah, I suck. :)

Thankfully rocks are not exactly the most difficult of things to draw, so I got the image I wanted to convey across! That's the most important thing!!!

Archived