Black Chicken Studios Forums

Discussion on the Difficult level of the IRC Campaing

Schwarzbart

As CJ asked me to publish my mail I send to him so I decided to do so in a new Thread to keep this discusion clean from the other discusions

> Hi CJ,

>

> its just my personal feeling but I think you started with Noobs in a

> adventure that I personal would start at earlyst when the chars have

> established them self in theyr covenant.

> Just to think of it you throw half off a Tribunal and Elder Dragons at

> people who just got theyr gauntlet! What are you planing to do when this

> chars ever reach 50 years of magic studies?

> I don't see that the chars can get in any more horrible situation then it is

> now.

>

I kind of have the feeling that CJ haved to open one emergency exit after the other in this campaign just to let the player survive and so push them just ahead and ahead without giving them any own decissions.

Believe me, I could pull out some even more scary things and I'm new to this. This could be much worse if Cj was entirely trying to kill us with sheer OP monster. The way we are going to win this scenario is with npcs mainly as they are the correct level. Not to say we can't without it, but we would have some difficulty.

Also this is in a way a good introductory scenario in the way of lore, but it would be more nooby friendly if we wouldn't automatically be pulled into the political slaughter (which wouldn't have been realistic, but yeah). I like it, but I understand why it would seem to be very overwhelming. I suggest we do split the group thus allowing us to bring in some companions from the covenant and leave some maguses to experience some other things.

I think the difficulty are actually below mediocre, and the player just think they are screwed due to the deadly apocalyptic situation and supposively end game enemy like the drake, which is actually weaker when going againist 7 apprentice magi's combine strength. If you would really consider the drake attack, we are nine out of ten times, surrounded by enough npc that can deal with the threat on their own and we can simply hide and let thing fix itself safely. There's also Baruch or whoever that can cast sleep spell and fell all these drake that tries to attack us, in fact, we easily fool the drake with Makara's low level illusion spell!

Personally, 7 apprentice magi in arc magica is like an end game party in other game, so I don't think the game is hard at all, but simply got immerse by the excellence writing and plot of CJ who make us think we are really in danger. Everyone 'survived' without a single injury and now we are full magi and is not beginner anymore combat wise, so I don't think we need it anymore easier until our party size shrink, which I believe CJ will adjust accordingly.

PS: You should really only complaint about difficulties when you actually fail a mission/quest or being half dead when it's over.

At last Class is at the point where he think:

Why have I go trough this? There is this other Covenant in the Rhine Tribunal where I know some people ... just lets fly over there and forget about this Tribunal complet even if I have to make there a new gauntlet or take some more years as aprentice. I have done absolut nothing to anyone why have I now half of the Tribunal want me dead and if they dont get me I have a high chance to get eaten by a dragon for his next meal? It would be even a good time to vist someone of Clan Ilfetu to get the Name changed.

(At last this would be the Rollplay standpoint of the Char if I would stay in char and not stay at the point keep the group together.)

At last Class is at the point where he think:

Why have I go trough this? I know a other Covenant in the Rhine Tribunal where I know some people ... just lets fly over there and forget about this Tribunal complet even if I have to make there a new gauntlet or take some more years as aprentice.

That's a choice that you did not voice and make. If we all choose this, I'm sure CJ would happily let it happen.

No way the other could do this also! As even Class would be just Visitor status there and every non Bjoraner couldn't stay there for long. Beside of the difficult to fly over to the continent is even as small owl high enough but taking others with him it get for sure imposible.

I was talking about Crintera what Class would use as staging point to do the Name change, get initiated in the Clan of his choise and then find a new Covenant to set up his lab.

(Unknown to Class there is a bether way to get there with Ramons help but he would never ask and just leave if he pick the fanish way)

But right now Class is following the only other path he see beside complet fanish from the screen. And this it to get trough this mess to the end. Just returning to our curent Covenant wont help us any more.

In a way it will as our covenant is extremely hard to locate and requires other means to actually get onto it. A army of human grogs could never get to it without help and Maguses can't scry for our location due to one of the Hermetic laws. It is pretty safe overall. And even if we did go our own way they can hunt for us instead of the covenant, and most likely we will be apart of a tribunal if we do relocate.

I was talking about Crintera what Class would use as staging point to do the Name change, get initiated in the Clan of his choise and then find a new Covenant to set up his lab.

Beside maybe convincing someone with higher authority and power than the Judge to protect us, there's always joining the... Muslim magic order or leave Europe all together? I think there's lots more option out there than you thought.

Just returning to our curent Covenant wont help us any more.

I think it would, but that would depends on if our Covenant is equiped with a medieval magic satellite cannon or not. :)

Now you miss one thing our Covenant is not registered at the Tribunal to get protection through the Rules and so the Questor can declare the complet covenant as a rogue gatering of Hedge Mages and fugtive Hermetic Mages with a death sentence on theyr head. Even if it later turns out he was wrong with this assumtion.

We are not or the reaction would be different on our arrival at Stonehenge. Thats the price we pay for the complet nutrality of our covenant.

I think most of the Blackthorn hated us while the Voluntas and most of Libellus really like individual member of us. So we know who to choose if we want to break the neutrality.

Archived