Black Chicken Studios Forums

What's your favorite playing style?

dustman

I only have one real playing style, which emulates my own ambitions if I would have been in such a setting. I've played a few others but it's never as fun and will serve as a way to see different content in future years.

I play an Aranaz student, who focuses on trying to learn every and all types of magic. Right now he can do almost all of Y1's spells and phemes save the obscure ones that you only learn in say music or botany or something as well as illegal stuff. He's not afraid of illegal magic as much as he is the consequences of using it, so that has limited his progression in that area, but the foundation for future learning has been laid. In Y2 he will be fully capable of learning it quickly should he choose to. He's not the most sociable but the people who he does make friends with will be friends for life. He's agressive with grades but is mostly content to leave the other students to their own devices. Should the others have a problem with him should he be no. 1 (and he is) then he will endeavor to teach them a hard lesson as an example to the others. Aranaz really, really fits me. Personally I'd imagine a diplomat to be better suited to Hedi.... But, meh. Whatever works.

My favorite style is probably my friendship or death type games: where I make a character, and build as large a clique as I can- at least ten people. Then I basically have to do nothing, as their skills will get me through basically every step of adventures save for maybe the last, and when that happens... well, I have an army of friends to sacrifice, after all. I also break and duel anyone who gets negative relationships with me, as dueling is so easy and sometimes it's fun to be mean. That's where the 'or death' part comes in.

I find that harder and harder to set up, though. Recently, I've been topping off at around eight member cliques. That's usually the highest I can keep together.

If I'm playing for fun, I'm playing Aranaz (otherwise, I'm playing Mordivus, for power leveling- in fact, usually my girls are Aranaz and boys are Mordivus, because I find the boy Aranaz pictures a bit distasteful). I usually try to learn as much about all the disciplines of magic as possible, though oddly, I haven't yet had a character who was really in to Mastery. I usually do play characters who are good on the social end- they have persuasion, they have diplomacy, they have befriend and beguile and blackmail. And they're very witty. I get most of my skills chilling with the Sphinx, even though he's been so sadly nerfed.

I like trying to do as many adventures as possible. I just go down the list, and do everyone that's green. Once I've finished all the green ones, I go down the list and try everyone that is blue. So on, so forth.

Although they're not all that useful in year one, I've been paying more attention to my familiar in the last few playthroughs. I like the idea of a wizard with a familiar- it's a shame the familiar really offers nothing in year one. I guess my characters will be ready for year two, though.

I try to get apprenticeship/access to every place possible that allows it. This means learning dance. So all my characters are dancers, somehow. Why not.

I like trying to do as many adventures as possible. I just go down the list, and do everyone that's green. Once I've finished all the green ones, I go down the list and try everyone that is blue. So on, so forth.

I did that once upon a time, but then I realized I was ending the game with a large amount of unfinished adventures and so I'm a bit more selective on the ones that I start now.

I actually don't do student adventures, save for the people I'm cliqued with, I have to admit. Those I skip. In general, I find them unusually hard for the rewards they offer- understandable, as they were adventures in the game from the start and I don't think the team had always found a perfect balance as they have now. Otherwise, though, I do every adventure. I usually manage to finish all but five or so by the years end... as long as I'm using Cleanse and Remake. Without that, there's a lot more unfinished adventures.

Will there be some understanding for bugs? Before, Katja and Honors adventures were both bugged and couldn't be completed depending on what choice you took (a few others too, I think). They've been fixed, now, but I'd hate to think that my RP characters couldn't get to the top with them because of those bugs. :(

:( Please beg them that a dedicated player would appreciate very much if they allowed us to check to fake finish adventures that were bugged. Or if we could at least have a summer follow up adventure with people who were bugged that would count as finishing their first year adventure.

As well as an option to get rid of any Gates or Mastery the Sphinx taught us that we didn't want to learn. >.>

Personally I'd imagine a diplomat to be better suited to Hedi.... But, meh. Whatever works.

I'm not playing a 'buddy-with-everyone' type of diplomat, but more like 'let us come to a peaceful solution to save time and energy', who's not afraid of using dirty tricks on people who abuses him. I dislike pragmatic compromisers who are averse to difficulties, and as result don't play them. And he would try to get as much done as possible for his friends, solving their problems if at all possible.

While simulation of your own character is OK, you see him/her in mirror every day, so it's bit boring ;) While I'm not that much in stealing, Thief-role is one of my favorites in RPGs. Pity you can't really be one in Academagia.

Don't know why but I dislike magic in RPGs/sims (although artificing is cool), so in this game my chars almost never learn more than two magic schools, and often even less. If magic school is selected from the start, it's Negation. Had a caster run once, but it was too easy and not so much fun.

My favourite playthrough so far included a character with no close friends but doing EVERYONE's adventure. Also little to no studying and relying on the skills learned on the adventure. I guess considering how many times he goes through the steps would make him some sort of Determinator. He just doesn't quit. I expect a large line of students being grateful in Y2. And...quite a lot of guilds and secret organizations fighting for him. I'm not sure he'll live to Y5 at this point...

My favourite playthrough so far included a character with no close friends but doing EVERYONE's adventure. Also little to no studying and relying on the skills learned on the adventure. I guess considering how many times he goes through the steps would make him some sort of Determinator. He just doesn't quit. I expect a large line of students being grateful in Y2. And...quite a lot of guilds and secret organizations fighting for him. I'm not sure he'll live to Y5 at this point...

Hm, how could you do that? Staying out of clique is impossible, and doing 50+ adventures with multiple steps with skill check for almost everything is, well, quite hard... I remember doing 7+ checks for one of Xemurte's adventure steps, or 3+ for Emilia's, while my clique consisted of 7 students beside me.

My favorite style... er...

Avila or Vermin, but mostly Hedi because I assume that led to less college war.

Gates or Mastery, pick one. (and I end up going for both)

Get high marks so I have more options next year (usually I bungled it by forgetting the buffs)

Try to make sure everyone has at least a +2 relationship with me (give up one month into the year)

Finish as much student adventure as possible (get distracted by shiny new adventures)

Very wishy-washy, I know. Throw in "no strategy" into the mix and you get a semi-failure who got most of the objective at 50% with some detention :P

Hm, how could you do that? Staying out of clique is impossible, and doing 50+ adventures with multiple steps with skill check for almost everything is, well, quite hard... I remember doing 7+ checks for one of Xemurte's adventure steps, or 3+ for Emilia's, while my clique consisted of 7 students beside me.

Staying out of a clique is easy by saving beforehand. Also it's a roll, that they miss a lot when you get a high Befriend. The adventures get easier after a couple of months of grinding skills and a bit of luck. It's a hit and miss most of the times, but I find it fun to do the game alone. Also, I train the familiar a bit and start gathering either Merit or abilities which help a lot in the long run. Cleanse and Remake and 6th finger help as well.

I play a range of characters. I had a few who focused on social things, music, rhetoric, social skills... with a large clique and with focus on their adventures. (usually only the kind students)

Then my Aranaz trickster, keeping ahead was important, so learning spells and useful skills such as hide, forgery, lockpicking, blackmail in general... All that useful stuff. Glamour and revision was my main spell pillars I think, but in the end I think I got everything up to respectable levels (enchant in particular though it wasn't an exams subject here)

Then my power-manic Hedi, huge clique and through use of mastery improving the whole clique's abilities so we were ready for year 2 as a powerhouse. No other house would have a chance.

A copy of the above but in Aranaz. (*evil grin*)

Had a Morvidus training his ferret familiar, and one doing the Faux dragon. Quite pleased with both of them. (especially in the drake story, I *loved* it)

A few minor plays, and quite a lot (I mean huge amounts) that never made it past midterm. Quite a few repeats from those above too, as new content came out and I didn't want them missing any.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play Incantation-focused Godina characters (always trying to get that skill to 20) that were good at Athletics too, Battlemages basically, but lately I started to do something similiar to free and try to become "the ultimate wizard" (though I don't hesitate to learn the "Dark Arts"). This playstyle was helped along by discovering Cleanse and Remake and and Esteban Contu's (which makes the Incantation class obsolete).

Actually I have a question: How do you guys train Astrology, Revision, Glamour, Negation and Mastery? I use Hives for Mastery, but that inefficent and have no idea how to train the other skills.

Selective focus helps a lot when it commes to getting skills up fast(especialy the ones that requiers several skill steps), it reduces the amount of skill steps needed to reach the next level. The libraries are also good, There is one that gives forge and Revision skills beyond the skill youre already trying to up. Aswell as of cour the Library of Longshadow which gives one skill of your choosing and a random one that might give you a skill you woudln't otherwise have access to.

On my first playthrough I think I went for durand... But my student wasn't very athletic or interested in that kidn of stuf... So he ended up in the infirmary a few times too many.

Then I've played qutie a few Vernin students. That reminds me, my first student/students didn't try and ge a clique at all, didn't realy know something like that existed or how it worked.

The later characters have been Vernin students, usualy getting all the magic classes but not limiting their studies to magic. It's also nice to have social skills and a wide variety of other skills. My most extreme studdyholics pretty mcuh manged to pickup every possible skill and nearly max them all.. though that was before I realized it was fun to do the adventures aswell :P

Personaly I like the hawk familiar the most, but the drake is nice aswell :) (I've always been into birds, I got a parrot myself who desires/demands a lot of attention)

So all in all, Selective focus is great and Improved familiar handling for the familiar.

My last few students have got some quite impressive skill sets and they have completed a lot of adventures... I can almost immagine half the city waiting behind one particular young wizard door regardign their issues... Could get messy in the next few years..

I'm using Selective Focus, but I still have to use 40 timeslot to get my Revision up to ten, whereas Incantation only requires 10-20 (and the money for the entance fee). So I was wondering if there were training actions just as good for the other fields of magic.

I'm using Selective Focus, but I still have to use 40 timeslot to get my Revision up to ten, whereas Incantation only requires 10-20 (and the money for the entance fee). So I was wondering if there were training actions just as good for the other fields of magic.

With Selective focus iand the Library of Mantel you won't need 40 timeslots.

And the library of stars or whatever it was called.... Will help you level Astrology faster.

Most of my student's develops a studyholic addiction... It surprises me that none of my students has created a spell to devour books.... Walks into the library.. Casts a spell.. all books go blank and directly into their mind, then runs out with a wide smile on his/her face! Better run fast before the Librarians realizes what just happend..

Archived