Black Chicken Studios Forums

Fraternity of Samos Initation

Schwarzbart

I think the Initation scripts for this Mystery cult are kind of conflicting with the info given at TMRE 127 that theyr scripts only give a +7 bonus.

But maybe my knowledge is still to limited about how the scripts are put together.

Just have a look how the Outer Order is put together in the book

Mathematicus

+3 Vow follow the Sacred Precepts of Pytagoras

+1 The Initate have to write a book about Artes Librares (probably a Tractus)

+1 The Initate have know Music at 1 or higher what is usualy strange for a mage to know it so I think it is wort a other saison

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time Teaching the Initate in Artes Librares or Philosophiae

---

+8 what is 1 obove the +7

Theoreticus

+2 from the Vow

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time Teaching the Initate in Artes Librares

+1 The Initate have to create the Numerologist's book

+1 The Initate have to learn Rots

+3 The Initate have to sacrefice the book (It would be the first initation script that calls for crafting something and then keep it)

+3 The Initate Have to be at a specific place at a specific time

---

+13 Serious?

Electus

+1 from Vow

+3 from a special Minor Flaw

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time teaching the Initate

+1 The Initate Have to creat a personal Horoscope

--

+8 again 1 above the +7

also I find it strange that the initations bevore are more handling what he have learned bevore the initation and now it direct involves what will be learned and the new Flaw more suites the first initation in the inner order

Now I personal would it put together like this:

Mathematicus (The Initate will be tested if he is wort of joining sadly the Music requirment droped out)

+3 Vow follow the Sacred Precepts of Pytagoras

+1 The Initate have to write a Tractus about Artes Librares

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend a Saison looking trough the Tractus if the Initate is wort in joining (Sure this gives him exp but Teaching would help him with the inner initations so I think its fine)

---

+7

Theoreticus

+2 from the Vow

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time Teaching the Initate in Artes Librares

+1 The Initate have to learn Rots

+1 The Initate must have Music at last at 1

---

+7

Electus

+1 from Vow

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time teaching the Initate in Artes Librares

+3 The Initate Have to be at a special place at a special time he have to find out trough a Geometry ridle

--

+7

the following are just thougts and need to be changed again when a the virtue is added

First minor inner Innitation

+3 from a special Minor Ressistance Flaw (the one usual given at Electus as it suite here much bether)

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time teaching the Initate in Teaching

+1 The Initate have to assist a other Member of the Fraternity in teaching his her Student(s)

---

+7

Second minor inner Innitation

+2 from the Flaw gained in the 1. inner Innitation

+3 The Mystragogue have to spend time teaching the Initate in Teaching

+1 The Innitate have to teach for at last 1 Saison

+1 The Innitate have to do at last one outer Innitation as Mystragogue

---

+7

Third minor inner Innitation

+1 from the Flaw

+6 The Innitate have to training an apprentice (the 14 saisons actual teaching him counting for this)

---

+7

Also there 3x3 inner innitations given but explicit mentioned in the text that it have to be defined if a initate have to go trough all 9 or just 3 with a variance given what to pick at each rank.

Tertious

- Hermtic Arcitecture (thats why my char is in it)

- Great Talisman

- Performance Magic

Secundos

- Inscription on the Soul

- Hermetic Theurogy

- Theurgic Spirt Familiar

Pytagorean

- Potent Magic [Artes Librares & Philosophiae] *huh how is this handled in the rules :wacko:

- Virtue Name of Power

- Ascendance to the Hall of Heroes (if this is in then all 3 Secundos should be in)

Then we have the issue with the vow as the Precepts of Pythagoras contain over 70 points and so is inpractical for game reasons.

That means it have to refined down to just a vew points and how the char see them.

There 2 links I found about the Precepts of Pythagoras I found:

http://teachingsofmasters.wordpress.com/2011/08/28/the-precepts-of-pythagoras/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_golden_verses_of_Pythagoras

From the first one I put together this vow how my char see it:

Eat no meat (fish and animal products allowed)

Do not eat green beans, gurnard or fish with black tail

Be not Lazy, use the day

Pay homage to your Gods but not the Infernal

Follow the Rhine Tribunal law of hospitality and be generous about this to Members of the Order

(GotF 20 ... Hospitality for a 1 Saison of work or a Gift wort at last 3 vis per year of stay)

Observe general temperance

Any thoughts about this?

Mostly I don't understand how any of that works, but my cents on the 7 would be that isn't that the maximum bonus you can get per initiation? So you might get boni from several different sources, but you cannot get more than 7, i.e. cannot use all of the sources in all cases.

Might be I don't have a clue, though, since I haven't even read the relevant books :P

You got it a bit wrong I fear. Its the initation system as it is also used in HoH:MC a Script is a fixed number of things that all have to be done exactly as writen with no variation alla this time I dont want to teach him instead I send him to a quest. Resulting from following this script you get a bonus that together with the Pre + applicable Cult Lore must be 15 or greater for gaining a Minor Virtue the mystragogue know allready. There is no roll involved in this you either can do it or not. Any action asking for spending time on it require that the person mentioned have to spend at last 1 saison on this.

Sure there is also the way to change a script or even experiment on a script but that have to be done bevore the initation and resulting in a different script that then have followed again with all its points.

That the script should have a bonus of exact +7 is something special because the Fraternity have theyr thing in numbers and expect theyr mystragogue to be very good.

For variations we need to look at how to someone can change a script at page 17 TMRE.

The roll for changing a script is Stress die + Int + Mystery Cult Lore and as fare I can understand it you can try to change a script only once and then only try again after you got a other level in the Cult Lore. Beside it have to be done trough the Initation rite.

Also it is much easyer to add a extra line (vs 9) then remove something (vs 15).

What let me assume that there is a script with excact the +7 bonus for each initation with a big variance of scripts that used this as base to add something like a quest the initate have to do.

In case you missed this.

I wouldn't recommend The Mysteries Revised Edition yet, even though I was an author. Later in the campaign may be useful, but we are a year off that power level I would say.

You also can create chars who already be innitated in one of the more open Mystery cults if the story is right.

What means the char need to have the Cult Lore at last 3 and you have to fullfill everything called from the innitation and the parent or someone other close must be part of the cult.

But my main reason for creating a char who already joined this cult is that I have the chance to get the needed secrets together for starting fixing the covenant in the next 20-30 ingame years!

(Without this trick I would say it would have taken over 40 years + to do the same and I doubt we have this extra 10 years+)

But yes I actual didn't realy expect that anyone already have this book beside me but I thought I sould bring it up anyway to the complet group.

Archived