Black Chicken Studios Forums

Everyone Comes From Somewhere

89157Z

Obligatory disclaimer: I think there are too many backgrounds, and I am ashamed of myself for having suggested more in the past.

That said... Backgrounds that give you skill levels straight out are not very useful. Furthermore, everyone has some kind of heritage. I recommend the Heritage traits be reduced to zero cost, and that an appropriate one of them (or an equivalent thereof for students from exotic locales) be applied to each of the NPC characters.

This is partially an excuse to hand some more starting skills to the NPCs. Do they already have heritage backgrounds applied to them? They really ought to. Sure, not everyone can have been born amidst shattering mirrors under a streaking comet like the Mary Sues we're all playing stereotypical player character, but everyone comes from somewhere.

I'm changing how Heritages work a bit. I'm going to swap them into being Increases instead of Expansions, the idea being that at any given level of training, someone who has been steeping in these things will be doing better than someone who came into it naive. To my mind, permanent Increases are more powerful than Expansions. I've got a test mod publishing right now. Let's hope it actually publishes. I've never had a mod complete the publish step before.

In a related product (they'll be two mods), I'm going to create a set of Sneaky Stereotypical Skillfaster abilities for secret AI usage. They'll encourage the AIs to resemble their heritage stereotypes better by causing them to have lower training modifiers for the right skills.

I may also use the Sneaky Skillfasters to fix certain... other issues, like Basia Rydz scoring 70 in an Arithmetic exam. She really ought to be able to max out her Arithmetic skills.

I've been making good progress on this. My testmod works just as it ought to and I should have a completed mod soonish. Once completed, the mod will turn the backgrounds from Expansions into Increases, and then apply those backgrounds to the NPCs. There may be a new background or two; there may also be NPC-exclusive backgrounds.

I would like to request that this thread be moved to the mods section.

EDIT: Huzzah! Now in the mods section. Also, this is the hard part. I now have to parse the lore and characters in detail to determine where each character probably came from. Anyone who I give up on will get the Renaglian heritage.

Currently working on... Alan Driscoll. I am confident that: Alan Driscoll is not from Meril or Staade. Possibilities: Auncesay, Strozza, Renaglia.

EDITEDIT: The name Alan Driscoll doesn't match Strozzan or Renaglian naming conventions, removing those from consideration. This leaves Auncesay. Second review of Meril and Staade commencing.

You know that changing where the NPC Students come from will give you strange resoults in later years when the NPC adventures include this kind of info?

Also the more you mod the game the more likly it get that you cant use the chars for year 2 without redoing the mods there.

The later is my main reason for me to only use my minor familiar spell mod.

You know that changing where the NPC Students come from will give you strange resoults in later years when the NPC adventures include this kind of info?

Also the more you mod the game the more likly it get that you cant use the chars for year 2 without redoing the mods there.

The later is my main reason for me to only use my minor familiar spell mod.

I haven't seen any release dates for Y2. As for mod compatibility, I really don't mind. Y2 might be moddable to support the mods, but if not, I don't care. It's not like running a loop of the game is all that time-consuming or bothersome.

My real hope is for things like this to be integrated into the game outright. I want to produce something worth using, after all. There'd be no higher accolade than that.

(Also, the skillfasters in particular should cause no mod compatibility issues at all. I'll be setting them up to be applied by the calendar. I can set them up to be removed by the calendar at the end of the year!)

I would you suggest you ask straight out where the characters come from, and create heritage backgrounds for the places students come from that don't already have a background. Noemia is from Monteon, for example, but there's no Monteon heritage. I think, if I remember correctly, Jere is from the Scandanavia equivalent. Mhadi is obviously from Alfesa or whatever it was.

• 4 years later...

Archived