Black Chicken Studios Forums

Questions from a new player

tehlongone

Hi, I've recently started playing this rather interesting game, I'd like to complement you on the fascinating lore (I've read most of what Nyaa has compiled) and the game itself is not quite like any others I've tried. I wish there were more games like it.

At any rate, as I'm about to start over, after reaching about a month after mid-terms or so, I'd like to ask a few questions about some things that have been bothering me.

I'm rather curious about what would better prepare me for year 2, I'm considering taking non-magic class skills as I believe I can maximize the non-class magic skills just fine without being taught. I just wonder about how that will translate into year 2...

I've heard rumors that high grades will allow you to unlock extra classes or some such?

Will I have the opportunity to switch for instance music to incantation when the next school year begins?

Also I've considered starting with attribute increases for my familiar, but I'm starting to wonder, will the exact attributes of familiars even be transferred?

Judging from the description during character creation, you can have an unusually strong starting bond with your familiar which gives it increased attributes, but if in year 2 you can evolve/improve that bond will it simply allow other students to catch up or will you always be one step ahead?

Also will year 2 offer interesting new familiars not available in year 1, or can we expect that keeping the old one is best?

Another thing, regarding the Sphinx, it seems to me that many (most?) players spend a lot of time conversing with the Sphinx at least if they are aiming for as much skill as possible, but there were never any adventure about meeting it, seems a wasted opportunity... :(

At any rate, I just realized I'm not even sure what it looks like, and while I'm sure it likes to remain mysterious you'd think a bit of knowledge about it would surface after spending hundreds of hours talking to it. For some reason I imagined a cat at first, but given thought would this be how it looks?

Every college requires a magical class aside from Aranaz. Just out of personal curiosity, my most recent playthrough involved a character who was from Aranaz and studying no magic at all. It went surprisingly well. I had better magic skills than even some students who took the classes, and I managed to max out Negation and Astrology entirely. I have no clue what kind of Y2 results this sort of shenanigans would have. If Tammy Zeland (the name for the character who took no magic classes) were to take a Negation class, she'd skate through it effortlessly. I'm hoping that the game will permit 'testing past' classes which one has already mastered.

I don't believe that the class loadout will be identical from year to year. For instance, I seem to recall hearing talk that Y1 Zoology classes would open up a Y2 continuance with new skills. (Notably, skill with reptiles is not taught to Y1 students, but is likely to be available in later years.) I've also heard talk about having a Natural Philosophy class available for one year only.

Familiars are... odd. They're potentially quite strong, granting half of their skills back to you as a check bonus, but it's very hard to get them there in the limited time the game gives you. Learning Zoology until you get Improved Familiar Handling (Zoology 5) is really the only way to power them up to helpful levels. Once I'm confident I can publish mods without the modtools crashing or the game crashing on load, I intend to power up the other familiar training skills. IFH will still be the best, but the others need to be a bit more competitive. Strong bonds with your familiar shouldn't be a phenomenon wholly exclusive to zoologists and obsessives.

I believe there's already an Exchange Familiar ability in the game if you can manage to shove Zoology through the normal 10-level cap. Unfortunately, the ability does describe the new familiar as a clean slate...

Tehlongone;

To complement 89157Z's answers:

I'm rather curious about what would better prepare me for year 2, I'm considering taking non-magic class skills as I believe I can maximize the non-class magic skills just fine without being taught. I just wonder about how that will translate into year 2...

As you'll see, to get into more advanced forms of magic you'll need to have the class prerequisites. It *is* possible to test into Classes, though, but you can only do this a limited amount.

I've heard rumors that high grades will allow you to unlock extra classes or some such?

You mean, over and above the 6 you can take? Yes, that's true. :)

Will I have the opportunity to switch for instance music to incantation when the next school year begins?

Yes, you can take some Y1 Classes in Y2. I'm pretty sure Incantation is one of them.

Also I've considered starting with attribute increases for my familiar, but I'm starting to wonder, will the exact attributes of familiars even be transferred?

Yes, they will.

Judging from the description during character creation, you can have an unusually strong starting bond with your familiar which gives it increased attributes, but if in year 2 you can evolve/improve that bond will it simply allow other students to catch up or will you always be one step ahead?

Assuming you put as much time into your Familiar as they do, you will be one step ahead.

Also will year 2 offer interesting new familiars not available in year 1, or can we expect that keeping the old one is best?

There are a few new Familiars, but it's a clean slate to change over.

Another thing, regarding the Sphinx, it seems to me that many (most?) players spend a lot of time conversing with the Sphinx at least if they are aiming for as much skill as possible, but there were never any adventure about meeting it, seems a wasted opportunity...

Ha, you are right. There *is* a Sphinx Adventure coming, likely in DLC 16.

At any rate, I just realized I'm not even sure what it looks like, and while I'm sure it likes to remain mysterious you'd think a bit of knowledge about it would surface after spending hundreds of hours talking to it. For some reason I imagined a cat at first, but given thought would this be how it looks?

It is indeed the Egyptian human face, cat body. We probably should commission a portrait, if we can convince it. :)

Welcome to the forums!

And just to clarify, Aranaz does have it's own magic specialty, it's just that it's not directly tied to the main pillars so it's not obvious that the classes you take in y1 are prerequisites to said magic.

That said I'm very interested in how the magic skills branch out in y2.

Yes, but that particular adventure feels more like one where you've already met it and know a bit about it. True it gives some details but I'm looking forward to the next DLC all the same.

(..If only for a stupid rock... ;))

Archived