Black Chicken Studios Forums

Newbie Questions

Exalake

So I just bought Academagia a few hours ago and so far it's been a lot of fun. The only problem is, it is very overwhelming. I think after watching some of the tutorial videos I have a decent handle on it but I have a few questions that I'm sure everybody here but me knows that I would love to get answers for!

First of all, I've been trying to cast the spell Personal Chariot to help me explore as I don't have the explore subskill unlocked, and apparently there is no easy way to unlock any given subskill. This has been extremely frustrating as I want to use the Sphinx but I don't have Wit unlocked to train either so I need to take a sort of roundabout way by finding the courts first and leveling that to unlock wit (or at least that's my plan, please tell me if its a stupid plan). The only problem is I have tried at least 5 or 6 times to cast Personal Chariot and they've all failed. I don't understand as my Incantation parent skill is 6 and my incantation skills are all 6 except for methods which is 7. Furthermore, when I tried to cast the Wand buff spell that according to its text has no rolls required, I even failed that. What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, I've been wondering if there is any easy way of unlocking the mastery/gates subskills as all the methods detailed like buying the scrolls (which is super expensive and I can't figure out any good ways to make money) and getting research to 11 (can't because I don't have any research subskills except for library knowledge...) are quite annoying.

Finally, on the Academagia wiki, it lists Alice's Tavern as being automatically unlocked with 1 School Survival point that you get automatically. However, while I do have 1 school survival point (in the parent skill) I do not have the ability to eat at Alice's Tavern nor the ability to help out there. Why is this?

Academagia is an unusual game. It's very "learning how to learn".

Unlocking Explore subskills is best done by training Curiosity under School Survival. After all, why are you exploring if you aren't curious?

The best way to unlock Mastery is actually learning a new language. It is not that instinctual, but if you train Bassan to 6 (which is pretty easy using the Market or studying with Professor Sido), a teacher will ask to translate a strange letter, which starts an adventure in which you can be informed about all Mastery Skills (My advice: Burn them all!).

For Gates, just take the Background as it unlocks the most efficent way to train the Skill and saves you loads of timeslots (remember to use Selective Focus (Concentration 8) though).

If you have trouble with Incantation Spells, do yourself a favor and study at Esteban Contus. To do that you need to have Theory of Incantation at 1, so befriend Ana Flavia Bessa. It also requires a lot of money to enter, but you can get that via Religion (you should take the Family of Heroes Background for that). Religion is actually a must have skill because it unlocks Cleanse and Remake, the single most usefull Spell in the game. Dont take the Incantation class, its not worth it.

Another usefull school of Magic is Enchanting, because 6th Finger, which unlocks at Magical Appraisal 2, is the a close second to Cleanse and Remake.

Train Planning early on (Vettor Conta's) Friendship Bonus unlocks it, as it gives +1 to both Intelligence and Insight. If you trouble befriending people, try to go for Ausdauer Mollers first, as she unlocks an Action that makes forming a clique much easier.

That my advice for the first few ingame month, feel free to use or disregard it.

This thread reminds me that something Academagia is lacking is "challenge runs". I think an interesting one might be a run where the player refuses to look at the rating of any of their subskills, examining only their parent skills. I came up with that while trying to teach a friend to play the game. I had to prod him repeatedly before he expanded any of the parent skills. His first assumption was that hitting the plus symbol would increment something rather than expand the field.

89157Z;

Ha! That's an interesting UI point you just made.

As for challenge runs, that's my preferred way to play the game, actually.

Are you going to try a no-looking-at-subskills run?

Archived