Black Chicken Studios Forums

Rule interpretation help

Wits

Yes, the ward penetration thing is known and presumed in all the discussions I linked above, but my impression is that most people still think the Aegis should not need to penetrate, i.e. that it should be more powerful than other wards. I think so too. But we should ask CJ - I'll email him now, hopefully he finds the time to answer with the tribunal behind him.

OK now got the info from David Chart that the errata of the First Printing just bring the book to the status of the Second Printing and then one have to apply the errata of the Second Printing.

So the MuVim Guidline is

Muto Vim spells work by altering the magical energies that create the spell as it is being cast. The spell is the result of the combination of the base casting and the Muto Vim effect, and has its effect once both the casting and the Muto Vim effect have finished. This means that a Muto Vim spell must have a duration at least as long as the casting of the target spell, but need not last for as long as the spell itself. For normally-cast formulaic spells, a Momentary Duration is sufficient, but if the casting time is longer for any reason, the Muto Vim spell must also have a longer Duration; Sun is sufficient for any practical Ritual

And as mentioned above I dont see that this shouldn't be applied to Wizard's Communion as well given that the guidlines exclude the use of Mu Vim spells on spontaneous spells and so the last paragraph of Wizard's Communion is just a remains from a time when this wasn't a general guidline and probably should removed complet.

Thanks for the guideline, that's useful information.

I still think the guideline doesn't apply, for all the aforementioned reasons. I think your 5 per base level interpretation is rather far-fetched. Let's hope CJ gets around to giving his opinion at some point.

From CJ : "Ok you only make one roll for WC but if it botches everyone gets the warping etc. Aegis does have to penetrate: that it doesn't is the most common house rule of all and I'm happy to play either way we make a troupe decision. These are both very unclear in 5th ed but that is the official rulings afaik. I've been wrong before but here I am pretty much certain as obviously I have had to check in the past as an author. Feel free to post this on the forum I cant from my phone!"

So my version for communion, scwarz' for aegis, right?

• 2 weeks later...

As we stoped lets fix what we have now:

- Aegis have to penetrate

- Wizard's Communion need only 1 casting roll by the one who initated the spell, then a concentration roll by the one who cast the other spell and the casting of the other spell.

For the duration problem I would suggest that WC only need momentary duration even for rituals is the result of a breaktrough maybe even from our all beloved Octavianus.

Getting the hands on the orginal research notes for this breaktrough might even open this breaktrough for other MuVi spells trough a other breaktrough.

Archived