Black Chicken Studios Forums

First time user, wrote an adventure

Metis

Here's to hoping my past three days weren't wasted. All the text is too much to post on the forum, and the mod tools are bugged (will that be fixed at some point?) so I can't make a proper .amm, meaning this adventure will be given to you in .html form. My apologies for the no doubt temporary link, but I'm worse at Sifting Through Internet Nonsense than I am at either Writing or HTML. And I'm not putting money on my skills with either of the latter two, so yeah. Nevertheless, here's the link:

Link (www.filedropper.com/wheredeathreigns)

Just unzip anywhere and double-click on master.html. Failing that change all of the file's extensions to .txt and read it in Notepad, although than you'll see all of the HTML tags as well. I've run it through a spell-checker and I've proof-read it, but there's only so much one person can see so expect a few things that slipped through here and there. What I want to know is this:

-Any obvious problems? Text too long, text too short (my sympathies to the game's writers if that's the case), skill checks nonsensical, roll difficulties schizophrenic/lopsided/plain ridiculous, rewards (particularly the end-adventure reward) too generous/skimpish/useless/random/in violation of an unwritten holy commandment that would cause Zeus to fry me alive has I committed it to a .amm, that sort of stuff?

-Are there are problems with in-adventure continuity? I've tried my best to make sure everything fits together and makes sense, but I'm quite terrible at doing so. If you see some things repeated several times, this is probably the reason why.

-Any problems with out-adventure continuity? I don't often Research or read Lore, so my knowledge of it is...lacking. I've tried to reference the mod tools/wiki but, well, turns out there's a lot of material to go through and not allot of clear answers, at least that I could find. Maybe I didn't try hard enough, but eh...

-Is the adventure decently balanced, difficulty wise? I intended for this adventure to be available since pretty much day one, and serve as quiet mention that "yes, things may be available since day one, that doesn't mean you should use them on day one".

-Any issues with the NPCs not showing/breaking character? For reference, I intended for Mathew to be "Been there, done that" incarnate, for Sir Huvrest to be a very friendly and plain-spoken man for the head of a noble family, and Ujis to be a stoic that shows and reveals nothing unless you either show him respect or greater knowledge of his craft (which is duelling).

-Any issues with the tone of the adventure? Minus one or two points it's pretty cheerful for a first-hand look at what (supposedly) can happen when a Gates spell goes belly-up, but, well, that has a reason unrelated to the game.

For reference, I wrote this adventure because A) I noticed around the forums that apparently forbidden magic was pretty popular, so I thought maybe a show of what may (supposedly) go wrong with said magic would provide an interesting perspective. And B) I wanted to make the reference in stage9c, see if you can find it.

So, what do The People think, what do they have to say, and what do they have to maybe ask?

What is your problem with the modtools?

You need the Academagia 1.0.0.amo and the mod tool to create a mod.

Start the mod tool and then go to create mod.

First you asked how you mod would be named and then you have to select the Academagia 1.0.0.amo as base.

Then you can make your changes.

The longest part is then publish mod what generate the usable mdm out of your mod as it take hours.

The Main Text section of Adventures, among a few other things, refuses to add/remove text in any way. I've read...somewhere on this forum that it's apparently a problem that was introduced with a Windows 7 update, and neither compatibility mode or running as administrator fixes it. For me, at least. See if I can find a link...

http://academagia.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=2253. Apparently it's been an issue since early 2012 and it's never been fixed? I'm not sure I believe that, but I wasn't able to find a fix for it regardless.

Ah, copyright. The ever vigilant fence to keep creativity and money in it's proper pen.

Well, no matter. That just meant I had to go with the HTML approach and honestly, it's probably for the best. I imagine that there's plenty of little details that I'd trip over if I were to actually mod it in myself, and my coding skills? Not up to snuff last I checked.

Any opinions on the writing, or the poor man's attempt at it?

Made another one. Don't ask why:

Link (www.filedropper.com/themausoleumofbrokenivory)

This does to Mastery what Where Death Reigns does to Gates. In theory. Hopefully. It's...honestly a bit of a mess, just due to how I write stuff. Long story short: It's weird. Now unless I get bored of writing these I'm going to restrict myself to things that should be a little simpler than doing everything from scratch.

I won't mind them doing so. Also, I'm currently working on an adventure chain for Incantation class in the same vain as Scenes From a Dialect Class. Will 16 already add that or can I keep going without having to worry about being redundant? Thought I'd ask, just in case. Assuming, of course, I'll finish it even if it's not redundant, my schedule can be...mercurial, to say the least.

Hmm just wondering would a 12-13 year old child point a professor to his / her mistake in the class?

Unless its different in the book I doubt so!

Edit: Just got a base idea for a Incantation Adventure. I'm sure there some tensions between Contu's school and the Incantation Students of Academagica and putting them in a adventure where player having Incantation class have a different side of the adventure then some player who pay the tuition for Cotun.

At last at the time I visited the school it was law what the teacher said and what is in the textbook even if new outside sources said different it was marked as error in a test if you didn't write what the teacher taught you.

I.e. the spelling for some words was changed but the school still taught the old one for 2 years and for this time the new writing was considered wrong for the school and then within 1 year all pupils had to use the new version!

Man, and I thought my school was strict with it's "3 instances of being late/forgotten books/missed homework per year quarter = detention" rule, in addition to whatever punishment each individual teacher handed out.

As for what the PC would do and/or think is a good idea, though, I have no idea. I wouldn't expect a 12-13 year old to never try and do something dumb, either, so...yeah. Whatever the writing team thinks is appropriate, I suppose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wrote another one. I don't know why I apparently love writing so much when last I checked I was nothing but mediocre at it on a good day. But, hell, here you go. It's a rough draft, so expect a few silly typos like "I don't now this item" and possibly some plot holes, for reasons I'll explain in a moment:

Link (www.filedropper.com/revivedandrevised)

The first adventure stage, which BTW would be the Longest Adventure Stage Ever, contains how I interpret College Kazus and their practice of Mastery. It's pretty much entirely contained within the...second to last actual paragraph that starts with a discussion on College Kazus' rival, can't miss it. The stage can probably be trimmed down significantly, but, well, I had to put my interpretations somewhere. I didn't put it in a separate file because I didn't think of it until now. Oops, might change that later, who knows. Anyway the adventure is a rough draft because of that. I wanted to share that interpretation, because it's a side to Mastery I kind of want to flesh out more. Lore, spells, maybe an adventure dealing with it, it all depends on my whims really. Thing is, if the writing team can't make any use of it at all that'd just feel like a waste of time, so as bad an idea as it might be I do want to get it out here and hear what people think.

For my part, well...I have my own reasons why I interpret Mastery and college Kazus that way, but the explanation would be long and silly so I'll spare everyone from it. What does everyone think?

EDIT: Did someone get stuck in their room and starve to death after downloading the doorstopper of doom or what? Anyway, here (www.filedropper.com/revivedandrevisedv2) is a more proof-read version, with changelog. The first (really the zeroth) adventure stage is still a doorstopper, at least as far as adventure stages go, but, well, it is what it is. Still wanting to know what people think of how I interpret College Kazus' way of practising Mastery, as well, so do share.

Archived