Black Chicken Studios Forums

Numerology

Metis

I seem to have a bit of trouble with this skill not existing, as far as I can tell. I did indeed get the patch from this topic and I also checked The Third Interlude before playing the game. I know that was successful, since I do have DLC skills like Field Medicine, and I do have the Marat Deck item. In game I abused the Mantle Of Stars quite badly, to the point where my 2 Luck character has at least 4 in all Astrology skills. That was so I could get The Everard Equation up for Calculate The Familiar Equation. Admittedly that would have matter more if I wasn't in Zoology and, thus, didn't have Improved Familiar Handling, but that's neither here nor there.

Nevertheless I noticed that CTFE's text claims that it calls for Insight/Numerology v14. The mod tools claim that it actually requires Insight/The Everard Equation, and the latter is correct - ingame I have 7 Insight/7 TEE, and CTFE is coloured black. Actually, the mod tools don't list Numerology as existing, even though it does show both Field Medicine and the Marat Deck, and a quick check reveals that while rolls have been replaced with TEE, the text hasn't. What's going on here?

Also small point that may or may not have been pointed out before, there's a small typo I noticed in The Edge Of Nowhere adventure: "As you stare at the luminance, it seems to me moving closer to you".

Huh. Yeah, I just checked The Everard Equation's skill description and it says "It's known in academic circles in Numerology". Figures, the one block of text I didn't reference has the answer, I get that allot. That explains, but it seems confusing to have a skill called The Everard Equation and have stuff call for Numerology. Are there any other skills with more than one name like this?

Two more things:

1st: Does being informed of a Mastery or Gates subskill count as having "learned" forbidden magic, or do you need to actually have a skill point in one? And does this distinction really matter in year 1 if you're not planning to ever actively raise either Gates or Mastery and are never planning to cast a spell of either school? I'm asking mostly for role-playing fluff - somewhere my character picked up Mastery Methods, but I planned on learning no forbidden magic.

Speaking of which, actually, where could my character have picked up Mastery Methods? I didn't choose any character creation options related to it, and I don't think I gained it randomly from Longshade/Sphinx because, well, I'm at skill level 0 with 0/1 skill steps. If I gained an actual skill step, I should have gone up a skill point. BTW, it'd be nice if it was possible to choose whether or not to learn Mastery or Gates from random skill ups. Yes, I could just reload - I will if I do - but I it'd be a nice option to have regardless, especially for roleplayers.

2nd: I ran into a bug with Rui da Casga's first random event, where he hands you a mayonnaise bomb (I just realized how silly that sounds). The skillchecks for my character were a wall of purple so I just handed the thing off, but the game didn't generate an actual student that I passed it on to. The text read I handed it to [?], and the end-of-the-day text didn't rapport any relationship drops with anyone, even Rui.

I *think* being Informed does not count.

No comment on Mastery Methods, but some enterprising Players can point you in the right direction...

As to the choice to learn it, it's a fair point. I don't think it's something that could be covered in Y2, though. For the moment, you'll just have to have the horrifying realization that what the Sphinx is telling you about isn't what you thought...;)

Thanks for the note on Rui's Event- we'll check that out in 16.

Okay, although speaking off, quick confirmation: Visiting the Sphinx means you're trespassing, since (s?)he's in an off-limits location, unless you both have the Certificate Of Imperial Favour and have it equipped, correct? I got reprimanded before, but with the Certificate in my inventory and not equipped.

Found more typos, this time in VR's Pop Quiz 1: "Every, sloppy line or inappropriate mark“ and "...doodle on this one. I dare you.” [Character]Character/Selection/Vernin/Everwine von Zoedorf gulps nervously...". I don't know if the first is just a speech thing that von Rupprecht has, but the character name shouldn't be in italics I don't think. The end-of-day text also says "You tried to increase your Study Level in Calligraphy Study Level, but you are already at maximum".

BTW, does skipping class to go on adventures that specifically take place during class count as skipping? I assume it does due to engine limitations.

Just had a bugged random event I can't find the exact name of. It concerned a situation where a student ran in class to announce the professor (possibly random, if so I rolled Briardi) is sick, and that both this class and possibly the next one was cancelled. The options were goofing off, studying Zoology and an investigation that lead to a Brew skill check to brew up a potion for the professor. I managed to brew the potion successfully, but the end-of-day text didn't rapport anything changed by that event.

Another minor point: Attend a Tutoring Session With Professor Sido says "Increases RDM Language skill, Increases Random Language Skill..." in the sidebar.

Also, is there a specific reason why the libraries other than the Venalicium have a chance to get you a reprimand, and is there a way to get Visitation Rights? I'd understand if I were studying, say, Mastery, but I just cannot imagine how studying Astrology in a library build specifically to teach Astrology would get you a reprimand. I find myself using the Sphinx partially because with the Cirtificate, I have official Visitation Rights to his/her part of the Imperial Palace, and thus won't get detention for it. Is the Academagia one of those fantasy schools that has literal magic at their disposal, but has not invented the practice of placing signs around to denote places you shouldn't go to?

EDIT: Durand's adventure (the student, not the college) has two instances of missing spaces after periods in the first/second stage, like "the answer.There's this".

Another typo in a random event who's name I can't figure out - it concerns someone having happened with the Temple of Ludocia, and the apparently blind groundskeeper is blaming Academagia student, particularly the PC. Options are giving up, Sleuthing and Perception. A successful Sleuthing check revealed the temple got a magic paint job thanks of the groundskeeper himself, something about wanting to experience the thrill of crime novels ( :blink:), and he decided to send me an apology and 250 Pims as a bribe to make it stick a further apology. The bribe will succeed at shutting me up apology was accepted.

Typo is in the intro text: "Ever since you head the first bit".

• 2 weeks later...

Another two typos, this time as part of The Wasting Sickness stage 6. "air of deference-the tomb-like room" and "You a rustling outside the door".

I also noticed a typo in my own adventure that I send in - the first one. Stage 9c has someone introduce himself as "Sit Huvrest Jyltians Grounders".

Figured I'd ask here rather than make a new topic, since I strongly doubt it'll come up too often - is there a limit to how much text an adventure stage's main text can have? I'm asking because I'm (slowly) working on a Y2 sequel adventure for Where Death Reigns, and, well, the main text for the first adventure stage ended up being a solid 4 A-4 pages of text. For comparison, The Edge of Nowhere has, IIRC, 7 tabs worth of text ingame, and it's text...doesn't hit 1½ pages. Yeah.

For those curious, most of it is an...extended discussion on (my interpretation of) Mastery back when it was a legal school of magic and taught to Academagia students and the like. And yes, it does play into the actual adventure, although more as a...well, wouldn't want to spoil it, but suffice to say that I captured the game's spirit of hating the player and everything they stand for providing creative obstacles one cannot get past as best I could.

Archived