Black Chicken Studios Forums

Dlc 16?

lakrids

Alright, must plan to have written all possible for Camp Nanowrimo, finished all chores, and have eaten my dinner by 7EST tomorrow. At that time, I will start haunting the boards with my ever present F5 key.

It's been over a year since I set them in! (I already said that.) I'm so excited to see them, yet so nervous that people won't like them, and kind of embarrassed over the whole thing. I don't know if I'll be able to make my kids be friends with them. Maybe bully them to dueling...

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah the expectations are pretty big. This might be the biggest expansion ever for y1.

new kids, new familiars, new adventures, and who knows what else? DLC 17 will have mighty big shoes to fill.

I suspect that this is one of if not the biggest reasons for the constant delays. What I'd like to know is why it's programmed the way it is. I know for a fact that mod tools can be fast - ironically enough Bethesda has provided me with at least three examples thereof - yet these are...molasses when it comes to publishing. Even if you just want to change a single letter in a single description the program feels it's necessary to check everything. Why is that?

I suspect that this is one of if not the biggest reasons for the constant delays. What I'd like to know is why it's programmed the way it is. I know for a fact that mod tools can be fast - ironically enough Bethesda has provided me with at least three examples thereof - yet these are...molasses when it comes to publishing. Even if you just want to change a single letter in a single description the program feels it's necessary to check everything. Why is that?

Fortunately for us, despite their amazing processing power computer are still not capable of self-understanding. Thus if the program has been coded to check everything after modification, they will do it without asking question. :):)

So the mod tools are, no offence, comically inefficient because of something planned that never came to pass? Was this changed for the Y2 modding tools or will they, too, require 6 hours to publish the smallest change? Or I am completely misremembering things entirely...

I would prefer thinking that speed in publishing was strategically curtailed to allow flexibility in their modding system. Yeah it turned out to never be used, but its sometimes better to have and not need than vice versa. Remember that this is their first game and they've been polishing it ever since release, and even if it won't be fixed in y1, I'm sure feedback is greatly appreciated and will have influence in future years.

Personally, I don't care one way or another, as I don't mod, but even if I did I've got another PC I can dedicate to task. Time is really a minor thing imo.

Why check everything for changes rather than just recording every change and saving it? I'm not a programmer, but such an anvil-welded-to-the-end-of-a-sledgehammer approach simply cannot be necessary, or efficient for that matter.

In a programmer's viewpoint, letting the program check for every possibility so that the end product will be absolutely bug-free (beside design bug) and maximum compatibility by sacrificing a few hours every time is better than releasing a product that might have bugs in it. In the latter case, the programmer would spent the same amount of hours debugging it after the player reports it. The prior saves more (programmers') time and players don't have to suffer through any logic-based bugs.

It guarantee a working product from start to end because it runs through what I assume is running every single possible combination of actions on every possible target and objects. It's not the most effective way to do it, but making 'selective' checking/testing on a complex game is hard and not perfect, which will still result in the latter case that I mentioned.

Right now when you mod the game you save the complete database what resulting in a large working file and the need of checking what is changed when you publish it as mod.

The other way would be to have 2 files the base and what you have changed what would make publishing a mod much faster as only what you have changed have to be looked trough.

But on topic ... Hopeful I finally can start a new char tomorrow :)

I think the goalposts have been moved so often by now we've circumnavigated the globe. No offence to the team, I imagine they've been working hard on it, but I'll believe the DLC has been released when the Legate's posted it and I downloaded it.

The legate has largely avoided giving hard dates to us for exactly that reason. The fact that he has been giving some pretty solid dates (if x, then y is pretty likely) shows the amount of confidence in their current version of the dlc. They're just trying to squash as many bugs as possible before release so that we won't have to do their work for them.

Speaking of which, did the team ever find the source of that encoding problem I had?

Nooo, but this weekend has double XP in SWTOR, my MMO of choice! How will I be able to choose what to play? Tragic woe!

...Eh, all things considered, tomorrow isn't bad. Looking forward to it.

Archived