Black Chicken Studios Forums

DLC 16 Bugs

Metis

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but Mr. Pebbles doesn't seem to alter my stats at all, nor does the wand you get after his adventure.

And "A Hot Time" (the prodigy: life of avarice (sp?) background quest) hasn't triggered for me, I'm currently at Aurit 13th. I thought I'd seen it back when it was suppose to show up, but hadn't completed elemental warriors yet. and now that I have its gone (if it was ever there.) I don't have any saves from that far back, so I'm starting another new file to see if it shows up.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you get the actual wand or the recipe for it when you call in your favor (and manage to get it rather than something else)? Cause on the wiki it says "inform: Wand of Lightning" and I'm not sure what that means.

If that's not changed in DLC 16 please forward it to the team that there is still a inform: item around.

Attribute 5 / skill 17 gives black on a difficulty 22 roll if my understanding of the mechanics is correct. That's high compared to most adventures but not ridiculously so. For example the last stage of Ilaro's main quest adventure has rolls against 24 and 25 - although to be fair the main quest does tend to have harder rolls than most. Vuillaume's student adventure, to pick one I try to do most playthroughs, has difficulty 20 rolls at the end.

The sphinx adventure's difficulty seems set to a level that makes it a late-game adventure which does diminish the value of unlocking skill training with it a bit. Attributes of 5 are a bit low for that tier of adventure so I'd recommend using easier ones as stepping stones to build them up.

That said, the sphinx adventure is not trivial even for a powergamed character. If it's supposed to be realistically completable by roleplay characters early enough that the sphinx training is a clear benefit then it could probably use a drop in some of the difficulties.

On the other hand, if getting to the sphinx is supposed to be a major achievement that only a lucky or powerful character can be expected to do it's difficulty is fine IMO.

I was a bit surprised about the difficulty as well, considering I'd already matched wits with the Sphinx many times successfully I figured I was supposed to have done it earlier, but it turned out it was for a lategame character, and after passing a purple check I failed because I needed lockpick skill. :(

I loved that you could utilize your noble heritage as well.

Also, typo/grammar error:

8Rvi8F9.jpg

My character says "Are you magic?". Previously the servant who asked you to help clean also asked if "I was magic", I'm pretty sure that's an error unless they are asking if we are the incarnation of magic itself which seems unlikely. Even "are you magical" doesn't fit well, the servant should ask are you a wizard/magician and the player should ask the Sphinx if it is psychic/omniscient/all-knowing.

Anyway thanks for all the new adventures!

Magic can be used as an adjective e.g. "Magic Wand", "Magic Spell" etc. From dictionary.com:

adjective

employed in magic: magic spells; magic dances; magic rites.
mysteriously enchanting; magical: magic beauty.
of, pertaining to, or due to magic.
producing the effects of magic; magical: a magic touch.

The Sphinx is a magic creature (or magical creature if you prefer) so it seems like valid wording for the question. In the same way "Is it magic?" would be a reasonable question about a sword if you saw it start glowing.

Psychic/omniscient/all-knowing are not synonyms for magic really. I'm not a big fan of mixing "psychic" into settings like academagia as it's basically a pseudoscience term for mental powers and would not cover Harry Potter style spells & wands magic. Omniscient & all-knowing mean that the sphinx literally knows everything. I'm not sure that's supposed to be the case - I assumed it knew a lot and was very wise, without going so far as to actually be omniscient.

Magic can be used as an adjective e.g. "Magic Wand", "Magic Spell" etc. From dictionary.com:

adjective

employed in magic: magic spells; magic dances; magic rites.
mysteriously enchanting; magical: magic beauty.
of, pertaining to, or due to magic.
producing the effects of magic; magical: a magic touch.

The Sphinx is a magic creature (or magical creature if you prefer) so it seems like valid wording for the question. In the same way "Is it magic?" would be a reasonable question about a sword if you saw it start glowing.

Psychic/omniscient/all-knowing are not synonyms for magic really. I'm not a big fan of mixing "psychic" into settings like academagia as it's basically a pseudoscience term for mental powers and would not cover Harry Potter style spells & wands magic. Omniscient & all-knowing mean that the sphinx literally knows everything. I'm not sure that's supposed to be the case - I assumed it knew a lot and was very wise, without going so far as to actually be omniscient.

Well the adventure heavily implies the Sphinx is claiming to be all-knowing, for example it knows your name without introduction and an item you had on you that was hidden.

I'm fairly certain you cannot say "Are you magic?", it would need to be combined with another word. If the meaning is as per the dictionary the correct term is "Are you magical?", moreover no one ever asks if a person is magical, as that is a description of the type of being you are, as the player is clearly human and wizards are a known concept the servant should ask if she is a magician/wizard.

Asking if the Sphinx is magical is a somewhat absurd question as it is clearly a supernatural creature with a famously long lifespan and one heck of a reputation, that's a bit of a given, a more relevant question in the context would be if it is all-knowing. Whether it is or not, it certainly claims to be in the adventure, so it's a better word than simply magical.

Also Academagia doesn't really use Harry Potter-style spells, but in that universe there is Legilimency (a type of mind reading) to the uninitiated that would appear as a "psychic" ability to read minds.

Judging from the adventure I see three explanations for the Sphinx:

1. The Sphinx used conventional resources to research a semi-random first-year student from the Academagia before she showed up, doesn't really seem likely it'd bother unless it scryed that she would be important later.

2. The Sphinx possesses a supernatural ability to simply grasp knowledge out of thin air, essentially all-knowing or close to it.

3. The Sphinx has the magical ability to read minds or another magical trick it used to appear all-knowing.

English is not my native language but i understood the question as: Are you magic? (creature) in oppositon to Are you a magical user?

It might be a stupid question but let's not forget our pc is only 12 year old with not many experience in life. At least i know i asked many stupid question at this age. ;)

Well he/she's pretty intelligent and it's not a question of naivety but asking a sensical question or asking it grammatically wrong which wouldn't make sense as the player is speaking her native language. I'm not saying this is a huge issue, just pointing out that it's a bug/error/typo.

Lets take hdghg's example: A sword starts glowing, you ask if it is magic. That's fine if you are asking whether the reason it just started glowing is that magic is at play (so it could be you making the sword glow) you could also have asked "is it magical", by which you mean the sword itself is in possession of magic and that is why it glows.

In your example "are you a magical user" would mean that you are a magical person who uses something (logic implies magic, but it is not stated). If it was "are you a magic user" it means whether you make use of magic.

If you are addressing a magical creature, "are you magic?", you are asking about what IT is, had the question been "is it magic?" it would have been slightly weird, but correct if referencing to the show it put on and asking whether it had made use of magic to know those things.

Asking "Are you magic?" is grammatically the same as asking "Are you happy?" or "Are you clever?". It's not asking "Are you the metaphorical essence of happiness", it's asking if that adjective applies to the subject. Essentially, magic and magical can be used as synonyms in this context. A magic sword is a sword that is magical which is a magical sword.

I think the misunderstanding here is that you're considering "magic" only in its use as a noun, with "magical" being the adjective. However, magic can also be used as an adjective with the same meaning as magic. Dictionary.com's definition of magical is:

adjective

produced by or as if by magic: The change in the appearance of the room was magical.
mysteriously enchanting: a magical night.
of or pertaining to magic.

You'll notice that point 3 there is the one that's relevant to this discussion and is exactly the same as their definition 10 for magic. Basically, magic can be used as a synonym for magical.

To explain why I'm not a fan using such extreme terms as 'all-knowing' or 'omniscient' these open up a lot of potential plot holes. They're almost as bad as time travel. The thing is, an all-knowing creature would know everything. This means you end up asking questions like "The sphinx must have known this bad thing would happen, so why didn't it tell anyone?" about all kinds of situations.

This is actually a major plot point in a popular fantasy series I've read, whose most terrifying evil creature is incapable of taking any action except speaking, but because it's omniscient it can see every future possibility and choose words that will have quantum-butterfly type effects to cause whatever effect it wants. Essentially, making the Sphinx all-knowing means you are giving it literally godlike powers.

As for "psychic" - it's a science fiction term and so my distaste for it in fantasy works is just that it muddles the tone a bit. You know, the same as if the characters referred to "lasers" because they had a spell that focuses light. It's not wrong, I just personally don't feel it matches the setting.

Edit: You are correct that asking "are you magic?" is asking whether the sphinx itself is magic, i.e. whether it is a magical creature. In this context, I interpret the question as being whether the sphinx knew these things because of its magical nature that means it knows lots of things (but not necessarily everything) or whether it is just well informed for non-magical reasons.

Well you can be happy and you can be clever, but you can't be magic. It just sounds wrong. Very wrong. If it is indeed grammatically allowed then it is still an unusual way of phrasing the intended meaning that normally wouldn't be used by someone that normally speaks english. At least I've never heard anyone ever speak like that.

I think the dictionary is referring to the possibility of using it as an adjective before a noun, not as the main descriptor. Anyway if we delve too deeply into the intricacies of grammar I might be wrong, but it sounds jarring to me.

It doesn't matter whether the Sphinx is all-knowing, only that it claims to be, and in the adventure it is insinuating that it is. Anyway the question are you magical is a foolish question as it obviously is, it's like asking a talking book or a walking statue if it is magical, the correct answer would be a you-have-got-to-be-kidding glare. By the way are we even sure the Sphinx is interested in helping individual strangers? Maybe it just wants to be entertained...

Also a minor point, omniscient means knowing all there is to know now, prescient is knowing what will be, merely all-knowing does not entail knowledge of the future only educated guesses. I guess you are talking about the Cthaeh? It sees all future possibilities and the outcomes of all actions, that's different from just knowing all that is in the present, especially if you only know what you put your mind into examining.

Even if you are capable of knowing all you choose to know, you won't know everything unless your mind is unfathomably vast and able to concentrate on everything at once, this capability is not really needed to be described as omniscient. It's like the gods, they might be described as all-powerful but clearly they have limits after all.

In the context of the conversation taking place in the adventure it makes perfect sense for the player to ask whether the sphinx is all-knowing, seeing as it is expected to know the meaning of life and all sorts of personal things that wouldn't simply be picked up from living a long and observant life. It also makes sense for the proud sphinx to boast that it is indeed omniscient even if it turns out there are big limitations. Probably that it just has an innate ability to access powerful Astrology magic.

There is also the time the servant asks if the player is magic, in that case it makes even less sense as the profession of wizard is known and a human can't be inherently magical (well maybe they can become so, but that probably wouldn't be well-known).

In conclusion, even if grammar allows the question to be asked that way, it sounds jarring and phrasing the question differently would make more sense in my opinion.

From the last Modbase

Random Event Student - Katja 3 Exit 2 gives Relationship to self what is strange.

DLC 16 only contain Patch 68 and not Patch 128 from CP 3!!!!!!! Please upload a updated DLC 16 with Patch 128!

(Its no wonder if people continue playing a CP 3 game with DLC 16 would gain any kind of strange problems when the new DLC contains a older program version then CP 3)

Omniscience is often used to imply knowledge of the future, in the context of the Christian God. That said, you are right that knowing the meaning of life does imply very deep knowledge and it's true that knowing everything that a creature chooses to know could be described as omniscience despite not actually knowing everything there is to know at any given point. So, I withdraw my objection regarding Omniscience.

As for "you can't be magic". You're right that describing a person as magic would be unusual. It's not unknown though. In fact Rowling uses the term "Non-magic people" to refer to muggles in the Potter books and it seems natural in that context to refer to someone who is part of the magic community as a magic person. That might even include squibs who are part of the community even though they can't do magic.

In fact, it's probably correct in many fantasy settings to describe wizards as "magic people" even though it isn't done much. For example Harry Potter is innately magical - he can do magic even without training. In Academagia I think anyone can learn magic though so it's not an innate quality of a person and so this would not be correct. Still, the shopkeeper might not know that, depending on how common knowledge about magic is. I often get described as a "computer person" because I'm an IT professional even though I'm pretty sure that's not a correct term.

Describing a creature as magic seems perfectly valid to me though. The player is asking if the Sphinx is an innately magic creature. That is a bit of an "obvious" question I agree. In fact, I think I thought "well duh" when I saw my character ask that. Quite possibly though the academagia world is full of unusual creatures that do not have magic powers themselves. The sphinx is a lion with a person's head (and maybe wings, I'm not sure) - that's not really weirder than a centaur which might not be described as a magic creature.

Fine if the servant is meant to be a bit simple she might have asked the question that way, but it still seems like the first word that comes to mind for most people would be "are you a wizard?" instead. Referring to someone as a computer person is sort of slang and if the servant had said "you one of them magic people?" I'd have had no objections.

With all your examples the word magic is combined with another word, which makes it sound much better, but just asking if a person/creature "is magic" is a weird way of phrasing the question. I agree that asking a creature whether it is magic makes perfect sense though I vastly prefer "magical" if you are asking only about that.

Using that word is however unusual for a Wizard. As the player is part of the magic community and experience strange things on a daily basis it's weird to use the term as if that was the unusual part. Most of her world is suffused with magic, it's not the part she should be concerned with. She should be concerned with the manner in which it is magical.

Schwarzbart;

Whaaaaat! Is that the case? That's really a surprise to know! Let me send that to the Team right away...

Edit: Alright, it looks like almost everyone is out for the first part of May. I will see if anything can be done to repackage the Patch sooner than their return. In the mean time, for best results, use CP3 + 128, with only the content portion of DLC 16, please!

i agree with hdghg. The Sphinx is has probably inherent magic abilities and thus can not be considered a "wizard. More familiar greeks mythological creature comes to my mind:

Take the Siren and her magical voice or Medusa and her stone gaze. Now those ability are definitly magical but can we say that medusa or a siren are mages? i don't think so they use their magical abilities just like a normal animal will use their claws. They are magical creature, they use magic at an instinct level not like human in the game setting who have to use phemes and palettes to create magical effect.

Thus for the PC, i believe the question "Are you magic" is more correct than "are you a wizard" as i don't think the sphinx can be considered more as a wizard than other creatures who use magic at an instinct level.

Again the PC is just a kid an in his first year of magical studies. He might be familiar with traditional magic but he may be too inexperimented to instantly recognise a magical creature in the "i can use magic sense" just like hdghg said; they are other creature that doesn't seem capable to use magic that way (like human).

And for the Omniscience part. I can only recommend one the SF classics. The Dune Saga : awesome books with my favorite character ever in SF litterature.

i agree with hdghg. The Sphinx is has probably inherent magic abilities and thus can not be considered a "wizard. More familiar greeks mythological creature comes to my mind:

Take the Siren and her magical voice or Medusa and her stone gaze. Now those ability are definitly magical but can we say that medusa or a siren are mages? i don't think so they use their magical abilities just like a normal animal will use their claws. They are magical creature, they use magic at an instinct level not like human in the game setting who have to use phemes and palettes to create magical effect.

Thus for the PC, i believe the question "Are you magic" is more correct than "are you a wizard" as i don't think the sphinx can be considered more as a wizard than other creatures who use magic at an instinct level.

Again the PC is just a kid an in his first year of magical studies. He might be familiar with traditional magic but he may be too inexperimented to instantly recognise a magical creature in the "i can use magic sense" just like hdghg said; they are other creature that doesn't seem capable to use magic that way (like human).

And for the Omniscience part. I can only recommend one the SF classics. The Dune Saga : awesome books with my favorite character ever in SF litterature.

You misunderstood me, I never said the SPHINX was a mage, I said the player was and that the servant would have used that word.

I also completely agree the Sphinx is an inherently magical creature, it actually was part of my point, but the question is phrased in a weird way with questionable grammar. I disagree that the player wouldn't know or assume the Sphinx was magical. I'd say the average peasant would think he KNEW the Sphinx was magical and that a student who encounters magic on a daily basis would assume so as well. At least he would think so, whether he truly could discern it is irrelevant.

Also the question wasn't "can you make use of magic" it was whether it was magical itself, which is an empty question that reveals nothing. Which is why I suggested it should be exchanged with the question are you all-knowing or something similar, as that would make far more sense in the conversation. It's what the servant implied the Sphinx was earlier in the adventure, and it's what the Sphinx seemed to be by it's behavior.

If you think that question would be awkward as well, it could be "Is it true you know everything?" or "So it's true what they say" or something.

The Dune books are awesome as well, but omniscience is a word that can mean all sorts of things, ranging from just knowing the answer to any question it thinks about to literally knowing all things that ever has been and ever will be as per the common belief about the christian god. Or the ancients from Stargate who knew pretty much all that was or had been, but not the future, and only what they knew to look for.

Archived